What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

freezing during loading screen/zone changes

13»

Comments

• Options
    he11bladehe11blade Member Posts: 98 Arc User
    Same as everyone else. The game freezes 3 out of 4 times I change zones or zone out of a map. I have to close the game and restart it to continue. This only started after the last couple of patches.
    f86cqFw.png
  • Options
    rybaksixrybaksix Member Posts: 193 Arc User
    I copied the whole game folder from another computer to the one having issues, apart from a msg stating that the graphics have been changed to the default settings, no issues. I went through 17 toons - no crash.
    Prior to that I changed the permission to the game folder to full but I have weird feeling that these went to default after the folder transfer anyway. this works for the moment I will post if it will change.
  • Options
    nyxadrillnyxadrill Member Posts: 1,242 Arc User
    Well the fixes that were in the tribble patch notes of the 20th:
    General:
    • Resolved a number of issues involving FX related crashes.
    • This includes consistent crashing that was occurring on Zaria and the Voth Ground Battlezone.
    • Feedback from Tribble testers is much appreciated to verify if this is working on a wide variety of video cards.
    • Resolved an issue which was causing occasional crashes involving the UI.

Didn't make it to Holodeck it seems :( I couldn't do much testing last night, I only had time to do dailies but I'd be interested to know if these fixes did go live and were just omitted from the patch notes?
    server_hamster6.png
  • Options
    angarus1angarus1 Member Posts: 684 Arc User
    Yeah, I just got this while logging on to DS9.
  • Options
    whicky1978whicky1978 Member Posts: 110 Arc User
    Im having the same issue. i using Windows 7. I noticed it less with dx 9.
  • Options
    I've been observing something. When I get the usual freeze up, and quit the program, if I run STO again immediately it seems to sit there for what seems like ages with "contacting account server" in the STO message window. Happens each time I restart.
    server_hamster6.png
  • Options
    every map change back to the Beta quadrant has frozen on me in or around 42% I give up for the night :(
    server_hamster6.png
  • Options
    wolfmoonstarwolfmoonstar Member Posts: 13 Arc User
    I continuously get loading screen crashes at 2 points: 1) Entering ESD Space area from sector, academy, or ESD but not from Transwarp. 2) New Romulous space from sector, New Romulous ground areas.

For New Romulous I found the way out was to go to the Embassy Shuttle Bay, fly to Fleet Spire and enter the Alliance Spire area. However, my lvl 60 is now stuck on the infinite load screen of death at ESD.

Running Windows 10 Pro 64bit, DX 11 if that helps any.
    Finally, I can relax and enjoy the vast beauty of the Galaxy.
  • Options
    mattaukettmattaukett Member Posts: 190 Arc User
    Don't know if it's me, but these crashes seem to have become more frequent over the weekend, so makes me wonder if it's network/lag related (noting the Level3 issues in the states over the weekend) as the vast majority seem to happen on load screens (had a couple happen mid-combat as well).

Don't know if it helps, but the latest crash event report is here, might let someone with some programming knowledge figure out what's going on (assuming the latest bug fixes to tribble haven't fixed the issue - haven't tried as yet so not sure if they have or haven't)
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4lFwCJNzPY6MTdxUDNBSTg0aW8/view?usp=sharing
  • Options
    I've forced my client into using DX9. Its still happening far too frequently. I'm so sick of this. Can anyone point me to relevant reddit threads on this? Seeing as Cryptic seem to be ignoring its own forums I might as well chime in over there!

server_hamster6.png
  • Options
    bmcd73bmcd73 Member Posts: 263 Arc User
    Doesn't appear to be related to which DX version you are running. I have read posts that both versions are seeing issues. Doesn't appear to be isolated to NVidia or amd cards. Both video cards are seeing the hangs. Doesn't appear to be Windows 10 related as I am seeing Windows 7 users having some issue.

I downloaded the latest NVidia drivers tonight 355.82 and still seeing the hang at 90% ish.

Here is something I tested tonight. I have been running the CE event for a couple weeks now. I have 13 toons that I run it with. I thought I noticed the hangs when I switched from Starfleet toons to KDF toons. So tonight I ran through with all my Starfleet toons and no hangs. As soon as I switched to KDF, I started getting the hangs on every character switch. This may or may not be related. I just thought it was an interesting observation.
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    I get the problem on both Fed and KDF characters. I'm beginning to think this is nothing to do with gfx drivers or gfx settings and I'm more convinced now that its a network transport problem. I'm seeing a huge delay when the client tries to connect to the accounts server directly after a restart.

Post edited by nyxadrill on
    server_hamster6.png
  • Options
    nyxadrill wrote: »
    I get the problem on both Fed and KDF characters. I'm beginning to think this is nothing to do with gfx drivers or gfx settings and I'm more convinced now that its a network transport problem. I'm seeing the delay when the client tries to connect to the accounts server directly after a restart.

It happens on both fed and kdf. What I was talking about was switching between the two factions on character select. I would normally log in from the bottom up while running CE event. Maybe 2 fed, then 1 kdf, 1 fed, 2 kdf, etc. So tonight I logged in with all my fed toons first and not a single hang until I switched to one of my kdf. I'm not saying it only happens to kdf but maybe the switching back and forth may be tripping something up.

I also agree with you. I am no longer thinking it has anything to do with what version of Windows, or graphics card, or settings etc. I am reading posts from people with all versions of OSes, cards, and settings that are affected.

• Options
    ajm1067ajm1067 Member Posts: 205 Arc User
    I have been getting this issue and have noted it occurs at various places, but very commonly will occur when attempting to enter the Delta Quadrant via the Iconian gate near New Romulus. It hangs at c46% most often.

I am using Nvidia GeForce card and have updated the drivers.
    NewMixedCrest.jpg?width=350&height=170
    McVittie's Marauders - The House of Arrgh
    Website
    Discord
    I absolutely, positively, will not create more characters in STO now that I have five six seven eight nine ten!
    McVittie/Saren/Arrgh Son of Jahn/Taev Dar/Professor Moriarty/Mia/Vittie/Vidtana'Clan/Suram/Sarela
  • Options
    ajm1067 wrote: »
    I have been getting this issue and have noted it occurs at various places, but very commonly will occur when attempting to enter the Delta Quadrant via the Iconian gate near New Romulus. It hangs at c46% most often.

I am using Nvidia GeForce card and have updated the drivers.

I would also concur that it appears to happen very frequently in delta quad. that is something I will look at as well when I am changing toons.

• Options
    qqafgqegqe4agqqafgqegqe4ag Member Posts: 153 Arc User
    Same problem. 40-ish or 90-ish %. Windows 10 and NVidia GTX660.
  • Options
    Well so much for any hope of this latest patch fixing this. First toon I pick on logging in after the patch and it freezes at 40% while attempting to leave the Jenolan dyson sphere for the Delta quadrant :(
    server_hamster6.png
  • Options
    testsubject228testsubject228 Member Posts: 34 Arc User
    edited September 2015
    Todays patch didnt fix this problem.
    Still gettting Gameclient.exe has stopped responding when leaving certain maps. like : Qo'nos, Solonae Dyson. New Romulus seems to be the worst. 100% crash rate when beaming to ship or leaving orbit.
    Can't believe cryptic has let this go on for so long.
    Most other companies would have sovled this asap and patched it.

Edit: Adding beam out from Nukara to the list.
    +Beam out from Ganalda.
    Post edited by testsubject228 on
  • Options
    he11bladehe11blade Member Posts: 98 Arc User
    Same here. I keep crashing on certain ground maps. It happened a couple of times on Drozana now it happens on Nimbus III. A character enters the ground map, then the game crashes. From then on, I can log into other characters but not the one that crashed. :(
    f86cqFw.png
  • Options
    dragonsbrethrendragonsbrethren Member Posts: 1,854 Arc User
    Turning on the Reduced File Streaming advanced option has fixed this for me.
  • Options
    edited September 2015

Interesting.
    Thanks for the tip, trying it out now.

Edit: this is very promising.
    Been entering and leaving Nukara, Romulus and Solonae repeatedly to force a crash. not crashed yet.
    This might be the solution. xD
  • Options
    edited September 2015

Confirmed! This does seem to have removed the issue for me. The only effect it seems to have had on gameplay is a slightly longer loading screen where it counts upwards from 1 slowly at first but then speeds up. And that's only on certain maps.

Dragonsbrethren if this continues to hold I award you the interwebs for today!
    server_hamster6.png
  • Options
    qqafgqegqe4agqqafgqegqe4ag Member Posts: 153 Arc User
    So far, that fix seems to be working for me as well.
  • Options

Again Thanks for the solution :)
    Been 24hrs since last CTD. So Cnfirmed!

• Options
    Well, 2 full days and a few level increases on a toon and no sign of the hang during map changes. Excellent spot Dragonsbrethren!

This and the fact I can now use the Voth BZ again thanks to Cryptic fixes means I'm one happy bunny/Epoh :)
    server_hamster6.png
  • Options
    whicky1978whicky1978 Member Posts: 110 Arc User

me too