test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Rewarding Deadbeat Players

Comments

• Options
    peterconnorfirstpeterconnorfirst Member Posts: 6,225 Arc User
    Well OP I feel you and it was my first reaction as well when I hared of it. You know what? Let them have their free stuff. You as well as I know that it’s just a teardrop on the fire under current in game conditions.

A tier 6 ship and 10 sepc points is NOTHING compared to what awaits the returnees when they get back after one year and have the slightest hope of regaining their former standing.
    animated.gif
    Looking for a fun PvE fleet? Join us at Omega Combat Division today.
    felisean wrote: »
    teamwork to reach a goal is awesome and highly appreciated
  • Options
    meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    Seems the OP is taking an extremely self-centered view on this. Not wrong, mind you, just egocentrical. Because, from Cryptic's perspective, 'dead beats' are, indeed, just that: people not spending money (you, the OP, already are). So, the idea is simple: lure the dead beats back into the game with a free ship and some spec points, and maybe they'll start spending again. If not, nothing lost, really; but Cryptic has everything to gain if they do.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options
    sonicshowersonicshower Member Posts: 216 Arc User
    OP should kick those dead beat players out of his fleet for not supporting the game as much as he does.
    sh2sxc7.gif
  • Options
    fovrelfovrel Member Posts: 1,448 Arc User
    Well, if you see someone in an Andromeda, you know it is a leaver. Andromeda, leavers ship. A decent player can no longer fly it. Is it a good ship?
  • Options
    lizweilizwei Member Posts: 936 Arc User
    edited August 2015
    Shame on all of you

Stop counting other people's money.

Stop acting like this.

This is what's wrong with the 'gaming community.'

Let's say you have 2 friends.

Friend 1 stuck by you through thick and thin, endured you when you were difficult, supported you financially when you needed it.

Friend 2 left you long ago and hasn't spoken to you since.

Now, is not Friend 1 justified in their anger if you give Friend 2 a nice present so they'll be your friend again while Friend 1 gets a slap in the face?
    That's what Cryptic has done. Deadbeats get a free ship and a level/spec boost while loyal players got the worst, cheapest, nastiest c-store "giveaway" in the history of forever.

And keep in mind this is on top of Cryptic declaring that there will never be vet rewards for over 1000 days, spitting on it's oldest most loyal players while rewarding deadbeats for not playing.
  • Options
    meimeitoo wrote: »
    Seems the OP is taking an extremely self-centered view on this. Not wrong, mind you, just egocentrical. Because, from Cryptic's perspective, 'dead beats' are, indeed, just that: people not spending money (you, the OP, already are). So, the idea is simple: lure the dead beats back into the game with a free ship and some spec points, and maybe they'll start spending again. If not, nothing lost, really; but Cryptic has everything to gain if they do.

They have more to lose by antagonising existing players who are still giving them money though.
  • Options
    peterconnorfirstpeterconnorfirst Member Posts: 6,225 Arc User
    edited August 2015
    lizwei wrote: »

They have more to lose by antagonising existing players who are still giving them money though.

Yea they have but such campaigns at least show that they know so.
    Seems they really lost a bunch of players over the best expansion ever. Who would have thought it possible?

The incentive to return is a pretty small one.

GG Geko
    animated.gif
    Looking for a fun PvE fleet? Join us at Omega Combat Division today.
    felisean wrote: »
    teamwork to reach a goal is awesome and highly appreciated
  • Options
    Shame on all of you

Stop acting like this.

Friend #1 stuck by you through thick and thin, endured you when you were difficult, supported you financially when you needed it.

Friend #2 left you long ago and hasn't spoken to you since.

Now, is not Friend #1 justified in their anger if you give Friend #2 a nice present so they'll be your friend again while Friend #1 gets a slap in the face?
    That's what Cryptic has done. Deadbeats get a free ship and a level/spec boost while loyal players got the worst, cheapest, nastiest c-store "giveaway" in the history of forever.

Lets stop counting other people's money, and mind our own business instead.

At any rate, if you get pass the "me mine ME ME ME give ME MINE give ME ME MINE give MINE MINE" displays, and sort of dig down into actual reasonable self interest, you find it is *good* that they are enticing people to come back. It's good for you, its good for everyone.

This isnt a person with two friends, its an MMO where the more people play, the better it is for everyone.

It's a business trying to attract customers. It's their business, by the way, not your business, fascinatingly enough.

Shockingly I do expect a business I give money to, to cater to my needs. If they don't I'll go elsewhere. That's how capitalism works.
    Gaining players is important, yes. But retaining players is doubly so.

Taking your existing playerbase for granted is bad business. It's why WoW is haemhorhaging subscribers, and if Blizzard aren't immune to customer dissatisfaction what makes you think Cryptic is?
  • Options

They are antagonizing ppl all the time. Release awesome Intel stuff, then nerf it to death, a few moths later, with some lame excuse, when you got the latest shiny to sell (Command ships). Same with Embassy plasma consoles: they just happen to get nerfed to death when the new Research lab consoles are around the corner. Aka, they know it ticks ppl off; but they also know ppl keep playing anyway. Same as with this T6 ship: ppl hate the idea of dead beats getting a free ship, but they're not really leaving over it.

Besides, if it's any consolation, dead beats aren't really getting a free ship: they're getting a huge Upgrade bill. ;) (Which was their intention all along)
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options
    This isnt a person with two friends, its an MMO where the more people play, the better it is for everyone.

It's a business trying to attract customers. It's their business, by the way, not your business, fascinatingly enough.

That's where you're wrong, as *of course* the customer is part of their business model! And although the '2 friends' example was kinda off, it's still risky -- not to mention, a bit of a douche move -- to not treat your customers equally. But they did the numbers, and know they are getting away with it (see my post above), which is all that matters to Cryptic.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    edited August 2015
    Shame on all of you

Stop acting like this.

Friend 1 stuck by you through thick and thin, endured you when you were difficult, supported you financially when you needed it.

Friend 2 left you long ago and hasn't spoken to you since.

Now, is not Friend 1 justified in their anger if you give Friend 2 a nice present so they'll be your friend again while Friend 1 gets a slap in the face?

And keep in mind this is on top of Cryptic declaring that there will never be vet rewards for over 1000 days, spitting on it's oldest most loyal players while rewarding deadbeats for not playing.
    Or maybe it's like you're having two friends.
    One of them is always there, supports you, you have parties with him and he seems happy.
    But you have this other friend, and he hasn't been around in a while. You have the feeling he's not quite happy with what is going on.

Would you not want to see if there is something you can do for friend #2 to make him come back and join the parties you have with friend #1? Or would you just abandon him?

Or imagine you have two children, one is happily playing with its toys and all, but the other is sitting in a corner and seems unhappy. If you go to the child in the corner and take care of it, trying to motivate it to play along, does that mean you don't love the first child anymore?

Let me assure you - Daddy still loves you just as much as your sister.

Mustrum "And really, you weren't reason for the divorce either" Ridcully​​
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    bobbydazlersbobbydazlers Member Posts: 4,534 Arc User
    edited August 2015
    fovrel wrote: »
    Everybody that says, it is a normal promo campaign to get old players, customers, back, normal since it is a standard way of doing things in business are right of course. There isn't much new here going on. Yet there is something to say about it.

First. When everybody or a lot are doing something, it doesn't mean they are doing the right thing or a good thing. Those qualifications are not decided by numbers.

Now about the promo itself. It is funny, because it is a promo campaign that cannot be or will not be promoted. In my book that is the wrong kind of of promotion. Where was this action announced? I did not see it. So it has to be done in secrecy. All good things has to be done in secrecy, promoting to play a computer game is one of those.

Let's say Cryptic has reasoned over the issue. The campaign will bring back old players, but it will also upset active players. A step forward and a step backward. So they took the negativity for granted. It means they are quite hungry for player numbers. I see a more or less desperate move. What does that mean? Yeah doome thread.

I don't care about the stuff they have given away to get players back in the game, they could give them every T6 ship currently available for all I care.
    as I said before I was more upset by the wording of the promotion but hay-ho its not the end of the world.

as to your comment about this being done in secrecy I disagree, many company's make special offers to old and potential new customers like all the different mobile phone company's, electric company's, broadband suppliers, satellite tv company's and such.
    do they contact all their current customers to inform them that are sending out these kind of offers, no they do not, they are not obliged to inform current customers of any special deals they are offering but this does not imply they are doing it secretly, and I dare say they didn't bat an eyelid to see we had become aware of the offer.

When I think about everything we've been through together,

maybe it's not the destination that matters, maybe it's the journey,

and if that journey takes a little longer,

so we can do something we all believe in,

I can't think of any place I'd rather be or any people I'd rather be with.

• Options
    That's why we have all those "grind events" with desirable rewards like ships, bags of dilithium or super upgrade kits. To retain players.

A player retention strategy is not neccessary identical to a player acquisition strategy.​​
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    Shame on all of you

Stop acting like this.

Friend #1 stuck by you through thick and thin, endured you when you were difficult, supported you financially when you needed it.

Now, is not Friend #1 justified in their anger if you give Friend #2 a nice present so they'll be your friend again while Friend #1 gets a slap in the face?

At any rate, if you get pass the "me mine ME ME ME give ME MINE give ME ME MINE give MINE MINE" displays, and sort of dig down into actual reasonable self interest, you find it is *good* that they are enticing people to come back. It's good for you, its good for everyone.

Shockingly I do expect a business I give money to, to cater to my needs. If they don't I'll go elsewhere. That's how capitalism works.

Taking your existing playerbase for granted is bad business. It's why WoW is haemhorhaging subscribers, and if Blizzard aren't immune to customer dissatisfaction what makes you think Cryptic is?

It could also be because people are sick of wow and it sucks.

Some of you guys have real short memories and seem to have forgotten the free t6 ship you got during the summer event, a ship that no one else will ever have a chance to get. And the free spec point you've gotten each week for a couple months now from the featured episodes. And the free spec points and ship slots you got over the weekend.

The 10 levels in the come back enticement is what's called a catch-up mechanic.

As a game progresses, it can discourage players from coming back to it because they think they'll be too far behind the curve. They don't come back, and it's worse for all the players who do play.

So, a catch up mechanic is offered so people don't feel they are left behind.

Anyway, it's unseemly to even discuss any of this seriously. I really do beseech you guys to think of your dignity and stop acting like this.

In what universe does free = something you grind for?
    This is like calling reputation gear rewards free. Simply because it's in game content that you aren't charged real money for doesn't make it free.

I have no problem with deadbeats getting free stuff if we got an equivalent. But we haven't. So I do.
  • Options
    Shame on all of you

Stop acting like this.

Some of you guys have real short memories and seem to have forgotten the free t6 ship you got during the summer event, a ship that no one else will ever have a chance to get. And the free spec point you've gotten each week for a couple months now from the featured episodes. And the free spec points and ship slots you got over the weekend.

As a game progresses, it can discourage players from coming back to it because they think they'll be too far behind the curve. They don't come back, and it's worse for all the players who do play.

Anyway, it's unseemly to even discuss any of this seriously. I really do beseech you guys to think of your dignity and stop acting like this.

This is like calling reputation gear rewards free. Simply because it's in game content that you aren't charged real money for doesn't make it free.

I have no problem with deadbeats getting free stuff if we got an equivalent. But we haven't. So I do.

But you have a problem if you think that a "deadbeat player" is a real thing, or that it means anything.

Anyway, stop acting like this.

It's a handy derogative term for people who have done nothing to deserve the rewards they're getting.
    What would you prefer? Freeloader? Sponge?
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    Shame on all of you

Stop acting like this.

I think that's this universe. You don't need to pay for it? Seems it's free.
    What do you need to do for it? Play a computer game. That sounds kinda... neat.

It's a handy derogative term for people who have done nothing to deserve the rewards they're getting.
    What would you prefer? Freeloader? Sponge?
    Exactly, it's derogative. Is insulting people good behavior?

Just call them "former players" or "lapsed players" or "ex-players".​​
  • Options
    Shame on all of you

Stop acting like this.

I think that's this universe. You don't need to pay for it? Seems it's free.
    What do you need to do for it? Play a computer game. That sounds kinda... neat.​​

I take it this is your first MMO.
    That's fine of course, but please return to this debate when you have some experience and thus don't make claims that seem remarkably silly to those of us who actually know what we're talking about.
  • Options
    pattonianpattonian Member Posts: 47 Arc User
    Participation trophies, this is Cryptic's version of those. Don't want to work at the game? Here is a prize.
    It is the mentality that has weakened cultures worldwide, rewarding people for doing nothing, how absurd.
    Save all the "gaming community" and kumbaya talk, you are deluding yourselves.

The regular players are being taken for granted and being insulted by giving freebies to the leeches.

Earning rewards and personal responsibility are dying in our cultures, just look at this latest group of human offspring. /smh

khan11.jpg
    "Khan Noonien Singh is the most dangerous adversary the Enterprise ever faced. He is brilliant, ruthless,
    and he will not hesitate to kill every single one of you."
  • Options
    darakossdarakoss Member Posts: 850 Arc User
    I very rarely post in the forums but this has me rather upset. I actually back in the day bought...yes bought this game as many here have. I purchased the digital deluxe edition. I subbed off and on for awhile. When it went f2p I stopped subbing. Now it seems people who left for awhile are now deadbeats??? In truth a deadbeat is someone who skipped out of paying or being responsible for certain responsibilities i.e. child support and such. I find this truly insulting and derogatory. I'm sure there are a lot of players who have payed and stopped, some continue to pay, and some have never spent a dime. And its all good. Its a game and nothing more. Someone got a free ship?? Good for them. And since we're all Star Trek fans we should be supportive of one another.
    i-dont-always-funny-meme.jpg
    original join date 2010

Member: Team Trekyards. Visit Trekyards today!
  • Options
    foxrockssocksfoxrockssocks Member Posts: 2,482 Arc User
    Okay lets think about this real carefully.

If I stopped playing a year ago, which by rights I should have, I would be missing 3 free ships, which I'd never be able to get due to sudden policy changes, the entire Delta Recruit event and all its rewards, none of my characters would be 60 instead of 13 right now, and the 90+ spec points I've earned post 60 on them would not exist, including the FE awards. Only one character has a spec tree finished, and that is the one specced only in commando. I'd also have the entire RnD system to slave through to upgrade any of my equipment.

Now think about that real hard. If I came back now and looked at how far behind I was, would I want to play at all? The grind is absolutely daunting post DR and there is no catch up mechanism. If I left, I wouldn't return. A ship and a few spec points wouldn't really be enough for me to return if I found out just how much stuff I have to do to get back into the game.

You and I and everyone else who stuck through this mess is in a good spot, we aren't horribly behind. But think about what a player returning from before or just after DR went live has to grind through to catch up, to have any of the new stuff.

Frankly, I think Cryptic isn't offering people enough.
  • Options
    darakoss wrote: »
    Now it seems people who left for awhile are now deadbeats???
    No, you're not. Welcome back!
    I hope you enjoy your stay, and don't get intimidated by anyone or anything.
    darakoss wrote: »
    . And since we're all Star Trek fans we should be supportive of one another.

The sad truth is that Star Trek fans are no better people than any other. I was a bit disappointed when I realized that, too.​​
  • Options
    koraheaglecrykoraheaglecry Member Posts: 250 Arc User

So people are deadbeats if they dont spend money on a GAME that they dont want to spend money on?

No wonder the STO community is known for being the redheaded step child of the gaming community in other gaming circles...Seriously there isnt a forum for another game that I havent gone into that I havent heard people talking down about STOs community..Youre all out of your minds.
  • Options
    thegrandnagus1thegrandnagus1 Member Posts: 5,165 Arc User
    edited August 2015
    Shame on all of you

Stop acting like this.

You seem to have forgotten what you said in the other thread, so allow me to refresh your memory. You said if something doesn't involve you, it's none of your business. And once again, you are replying to peoples comments that don't involve you, and are therefore none of your business, according to your own logic.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
This discussion has been closed.