test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Rewarding Deadbeat Players

Why is Cryptic rewarding players that don't play???

My Wife & I both have 6 toons each that we have done all the storyline & grind to get them to level 60. I am retired and we play way more then we should, 14 -16 hrs per day in the constant grind to keep our toons at the best they can be.
We read up and watch all the dps videos we can so we can play by all the rules in a pve, "a lot of players should try that sometime". We are also lifetime members who care about the integrity of this game as it carries an iconic name that should not be cheapened in any way. We grew up watching TOS back in the 60s and have seen everything Star Trek since. We also pump a lot of cash into this game to keep up with all the latest shinies.

We run a 500 toon fleet that has many active members in it, "you know like in people who like to play", which brings us to this dilemma. Recently we had several members come back into the game that hadn't played for six months and longer. They were all happy about all the nice FREE stuff Cryptic handed out to them to get them to come back and play. Some members were at lower levels because they didn't play long enough to level their toon " you know because they didn't care that much about STO to start with to stay in the game" but that is ok. Then Cryptic comes to their rescue with an XP boost that takes them to level 60 no matter what level they were. There were other new shinies also all in a effort to get them back into a game that they cared nothing about. They made their toons level 60s and signed off not to be seen or heard from til the next giveaway! There were also many fleeties on at that time that were diligently working to level their toons that didn't get anything to help them. Sux to be them!

Yes, you gave us some free stuff but nothing that begins to repay us for the grind we all had to go through to complete level 50 through 60. It just sux for all of us that actually did the gameplay to get to level 60 to see the non-players be rewarded.

Please Cryptic, STOP rewarding players for not playing! It is the same as slapping the ones who do play everyday and put up with the day to day grind, lag & disconnects. We know the game is not perfect but we love it anyway. If you want to reward the players who are here everyday, that's fine, after all, we are the ones who keep this thing going and paying your paycheck but leave the deadbeats where they are... they are no help to any part of this game! IMO.

Thank You for your time....LLAP

Comments

• Options
    kodachikunokodachikuno Member Posts: 6,020 Arc User1
    couldnt use the existing thread bitchin bout the email they sent?
  • Options
    salazarrazesalazarraze Member Posts: 3,794 Arc User
    edited August 2015
    You have 6 level 60's? That's about 6 more than those "dead beats" that got free stuff. You have way more than they will ever have. Of course you have earned all of it, just like I earned all of my level 60's. But the basis of the plan is obvious. Get those "dead beats" back into the game and spending money. You (and I) already got a free winter, anniversary, and summer ship that those "deat beats" will never ever get.
    When you see "TRIBBLE" in my posts, it's because I manually typed "TRIBBLE" and censored myself.
  • Options
    thegrandnagus1thegrandnagus1 Member Posts: 5,165 Arc User
    edited August 2015
    Our former community manager Brandon explained it to me: Cryptic is "rewarding" them for their "support". What "support"? Every time a person comes back, that helps the statistic for returning players that Cryptic probably has to show their big bosses. As people who have never left, we can't contribute anything to that stat. So people who return to the game are "supporting" that statistic, which we can't do, even if we wanted to.

Yes, I know it may sound like crazy or twisted logic to some, but that is the closest thing to a real explanation you are going to get.
    Post edited by thegrandnagus1 on

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • Options
    rickdankorickdanko Member Posts: 470 Arc User
    soofismack wrote: »
    My Wife & I both have 6 toons each... I am retired and we play way more then we should, 14 -16 hrs per day ...

I'm with you on the objections. Keep on the bright side though. Retired and playing STO 14 - 16 hours AND having a wife to do the same with you? Brother, you are blessed indeed; wayyyy more than the folks who got a free T6.

I'll just say "Live long" since you've already prospered.

They're not really gone, as long as we remember them
    candle_burning.gif
    Plasma Nugget
    Rayzee
    excellentawesome#4589
    torgaddon101
    raeat

I'm allowed to disagree.
  • Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    Our former community manager Brandon explained it to me: Cryptic is "rewarding" them for their "support". What "support"? Every time a person comes back, that helps the statistic for returning players that Cryptic probably has to show their big bosses. As people who have never left, we can't contribute anything to that stat. So people who return to the game are "supporting" that statistic, which we can't do, even if we wanted to.

Yes, I know it's crazy and twisted logic, but that is the closest thing to a real explanation you are going to get.
    Players are good for an MMO. Even if a player never ever spends a dime on anything in an MMO, he still is content for all the other players. Be it in an STF, be it as a fleet member, be it as someone that buys or sells something on the exchange, be it as someone that chats with a fellow player. But some of them of course will also "spend a dime".
    And, whether you personally spend money on the game or not - if you're part of the game, and if you're part of the content for all players, you're also part of the content for paying players. And we all know that games without content don't really entice players to play or pay.
    In the end, whatever you do, even if you're just a single guy, you are contributing a little bit to the game's financial well-being.

There is nothing mysterious, weird about MMOs trying to get lapsed players back into the game, there is nothing twisted or crazy about the logic of getting lapsed players back into the game. Targeting lapsed players is in fact a very obvious goal, because if someone actually played STO for a while, that means he has or at least had a known interest in STO. He's not like all the other gamers and people out there (whose e-mail address Cryptic doesn't have either), for whom you don't know if they even have an interest in a game like STO.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    sqwishedsqwished Member Posts: 1,475 Bug Hunter
    I don't know, may be instead of trying to bribe players into returning to the game, maybe they could ask them why they left in the first place and try and address those issues. But I've got to say, that this is the third thread of people complaining about the give away. To be honest, I'm not bothered about it anyway. Hell I've been handed 2 ship slots on my main, as well as two free spec points for each alt on my account all for nothing.

But after seeing a large number of my fleet walk away from the game, anything that could help bring them back would be welcomed. And I'm sorry to be blunt OP, but you made the decision to invest so much into STO, no one put a phaser to your head and made you do it. If it means that much to you, then may I suggest that instead of starting yet another thread on the subject that will likely get closed shortly, you instead direct your attention to customer services or some official from PWE.
    Oh, it's not broken? We can soon fix that!

• Options
    davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,519 Arc User
    edited August 2015
    The people who were away missed out on other free ships like the Ferengi, Kobali, Breen, plus event goodies and all the spec points and tech points from new episodes.

Sure, I'd like to get the extra free ship too. But I understand how marketing works. Stores like Amazon offer $5-20 coupons to lure back inactive shoppers and PW offers a ship.
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    The people who were away missed out on other free ships like the Ferengi, Kobali, Breen, plus event goodies and all the spec points and tech points from new episodes.

Some comparisons make sense, some don't IMO. This week, we got some free items just for logging in. They did not require any real time investment to get, just log in and claim. The event ships required significant time investment, so they are different, IMO. If you want to make a comparison that makes sense, then it would be the items we got this week, not the ships that people weeks to get.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • Options
    leviathan99#2867 leviathan99 Member Posts: 7,747 Arc User
    It's a reward because they don't play, to entice them in.

If it upsets you the thought of them claiming these, just remember that the ones who have zero interest in playing won't get the reward because they won't claim one. Also, keep in mind, this kind of thing is probably good for service members, peace corps members, people who lead busy lives.

Do I think it could have been handled better? Eh. I usually have a few ideas on improving things. I don't think it's a bad idea though and I'd rather Cryptic be actively trying to keep the game busy than give up and solely doubledown on the people who are here. They did just toss us a bunch of nice stuff.
  • Options
    farmallmfarmallm Member Posts: 4,630 Arc User
    It don't bother me, and I been playing since F2P. Cause this is nice way to bring back players or ones who might be in the military or other jobs where they can't get access easily.

Plus look at the ones who do play. We had access to a lot of cool new ships and stuff. Where they missed out on all of this.
    Enterprise%20C_zpsrdrf3v8d.jpg

USS Casinghead NCC 92047 launched 2350
    Fleet Admiral Stowe - Dominion War Vet.
  • Options
    solidneutroniumsolidneutronium Member Posts: 510 Arc User

My Wife & I both have 6 toons each that we have done all the storyline & grind to get them to level 60. I am retired and we play way more then we should, 14 -16 hrs per day in the constant grind to keep our toons at the best they can be.
    We read up and watch all the dps videos we can so we can play by all the rules in a pve, "a lot of players should try that sometime". We are also lifetime members who care about the integrity of this game as it carries an iconic name that should not be cheapened in any way. We grew up watching TOS back in the 60s and have seen everything Star Trek since. We also pump a lot of cash into this game to keep up with all the latest shinies.

We run a 500 toon fleet that has many active members in it, "you know like in people who like to play", which brings us to this dilemma. Recently we had several members come back into the game that hadn't played for six months and longer. They were all happy about all the nice FREE stuff Cryptic handed out to them to get them to come back and play. Some members were at lower levels because they didn't play long enough to level their toon " you know because they didn't care that much about STO to start with to stay in the game" but that is ok. Then Cryptic comes to their rescue with an XP boost that takes them to level 60 no matter what level they were. There were other new shinies also all in a effort to get them back into a game that they cared nothing about. They made their toons level 60s and signed off not to be seen or heard from til the next giveaway! There were also many fleeties on at that time that were diligently working to level their toons that didn't get anything to help them. Sux to be them!

Yes, you gave us some free stuff but nothing that begins to repay us for the grind we all had to go through to complete level 50 through 60. It just sux for all of us that actually did the gameplay to get to level 60 to see the non-players be rewarded.

Please Cryptic, STOP rewarding players for not playing! It is the same as slapping the ones who do play everyday and put up with the day to day grind, lag & disconnects. We know the game is not perfect but we love it anyway. If you want to reward the players who are here everyday, that's fine, after all, we are the ones who keep this thing going and paying your paycheck but leave the deadbeats where they are... they are no help to any part of this game! IMO.

Thank You for your time....LLAP
    Yeah, I know right. It's like two Cryptic/PWE employees come along and unexpectedly throw you under the bus. As you slip under the bus a third employee runs up and slap you in the face! :smiley:

It's like mirror universe frequent flyer mileage. Since you've only flown with us that one time we'll reward you with two free trips cause we're so generous. Those of you who've flown with us more than once will get some stale peanuts and you'll like em. :tongue:

Professional Slider Since 2409

Officially Nerfed In Early 2410
  • Options
    lucho80lucho80 Member Posts: 6,600 Bug Hunter

Yes, I know it's crazy and twisted logic, but that is the closest thing to a real explanation you are going to get.

When those deadbeats leave again after a week, and the metrics go back to where they were next month, they'll have some explaining to do to their bosses. Then again, they'll probably bump those metrics back up again late September by releasing Season 11, and from there the next bump will be for the Winter event.
  • Options
    supergirl1611supergirl1611 Member Posts: 809 Arc User
    my alt acc which i don't use, which is F2P, no sub or lts got the promo. I tried to use it on my main acc as the 10 spec points would have been nice to give to one of my lower specced lvl 60 alts but alas no joy, had to use on the alt account. But i wasn't using that account for 2 reasons.

1. All 3 characters created are Romulans 2 KDF and 1 Fed so the Andromeda although a fine ship is not useable with these characters.
    2. This account was created as a farming account for contraband. However now as a Mac user and if anyone knows of a way or if i'm wrong please share and correct me, you cannot load 2 versions of the game on the Mac client unlike Windows. However as the game runs fine on the Mac client i have no intention of installing windows bootcamp. Or having to shutdown and reload every time i want to use this acc to farm on the Mac.

I do agree the ship itself should not have been offered as part of the incentive, the instant lvl gain to 60 probably plus the spec points do come with those levels. It is a slap in the face to all of us who felt the grind getting pre-Delta lvl 50 toons to 60. Lvl 54-60 is the biggest grind when levelling, so bypassing that is a good incentive for those players to play again so they don't get burnt out going 54-60.

Also don't forget we have had 7 new FE episodes all of which have rewarded a free spec point. Yes we had to play the mission once to get it but its 7, 6 if these players start playing the current FE now, we got that they will not.
  • Options
    seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    However now as a Mac user and if anyone knows of a way or if i'm wrong please share and correct me, you cannot load 2 versions of the game on the Mac client unlike Windows.

I'm not a Mac user, but you shouldn't have to load 2 copies of the game to use 2 accounts. When you run the launcher, it asks for your account name/email and password. You should just be able to change that information to that of your alt account and swap between accounts with only one install.

At least that's how it works on Windows, can't you just change the log in information in the launcher?
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • Options
    supergirl1611supergirl1611 Member Posts: 809 Arc User
    However now as a Mac user and if anyone knows of a way or if i'm wrong please share and correct me, you cannot load 2 versions of the game on the Mac client unlike Windows.

I'm not a Mac user, but you shouldn't have to load 2 copies of the game to use 2 accounts. When you run the launcher, it asks for your account name/email and password. You should just be able to change that information to that of your alt account and swap between accounts with only one install.

At least that's how it works on Windows, can't you just change the log in information in the launcher?

I can but i wanted to run 2 versions of the game at the same time so i didn't have to log between accounts like you can on windows. 1 runs in the background whilst i'm playing the other. But as i'm not going to use the alt acc i'll leave it
  • Options
    happyhappyj0yj0yhappyhappyj0yj0y Member Posts: 699 Arc User

Yes, I know it may sound like crazy or twisted logic to some, but that is the closest thing to a real explanation you are going to get.

Aye, but we are supporting their statistics for total players, and player retention.

And what really rubs the wrong way is that they COULD have given this to EVERYONE both returning and consistent, and had they it would have reward everyone who contributes to their statistics, and since it's still a free swag bag, would have been just as effective at luring people back. Instead they decided to reward some and snub others.
  • Options
    edited August 2015

Aye, but we are supporting their statistics for total players, and player retention.

And what really rubs the wrong way is that they COULD have given this to EVERYONE both returning and consistent, and had they it would have reward everyone who contributes to their statistics, and since it's still a free swag bag, would have been just as effective at luring people back. Instead they decided to reward some and snub others.

I agree, there was a much better way to do this: they could have given everyone that free ship and spec points for a week or weekend, and still emailed the inactive players to let them know that if they could get those items anytime they come back. Some people act like it had to be one or the other, but that is a strawman falsehood. The method I just suggested would have still accomplished the goal of bringing back anyone who actually cared enough about getting those items to come back, while not causing this silly drama.

For the record, I already owned the ship and already have half a dozen unspent spec points on several different characters, so I don't personally care about "the stuff".

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2015

Dear Frustrated on Feranginar.

Let me give you a little clue, as I said in the other thread whining about this situation, It's not going to bring maybe more than 15 people back, all your "hard work" is secure. This isn't going to bring me or nearly anyone else who left this grind fest back. Dry your eyes, get that nose back on the grindstone and enjoy your empty social areas, you have nothing to worry about!

I did log back into the forums to see the trainwreck though, has been a little bit of a let down, but worth it I guess.
  • Options
    deokkent wrote: »
    Basically OP is blaming people for having a life.

Just because someone wasn't playing this game doesn't mean they weren't furiously grinding away in another.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • Options
    happyhappyj0yj0yhappyhappyj0yj0y Member Posts: 699 Arc User
    I agree, there was a much better way to do this: they could have given everyone that free ship and spec points for a week or weekend, and still emailed the inactive players to let them know that if they could get those items anytime they come back.

As someone who already bought it, I'd actually prefer if the released the Andromeda, or perhaps another ship, free permanently... preferably one from each ship class. I'm kind of tired of seeing teammates in T5 (no U) ships when I'm in STFs. Really, having no free T6 ships outside of limited time events, and no free upgrades to T5U was just a massive mistake, and reeks of greed.
  • Options
    I agree, there was a much better way to do this: they could have given everyone that free ship and spec points for a week or weekend, and still emailed the inactive players to let them know that if they could get those items anytime they come back.

As someone who already bought it, I'd actually prefer if the released the Andromeda, or perhaps another ship, free permanently... preferably one from each ship class. I'm kind of tired of seeing teammates in T5 (no U) ships when I'm in STFs. Really, having no free T6 ships outside of limited time events, and no free upgrades to T5U was just a massive mistake, and reeks of greed.

There are obviously many different variations they could have gone with, but the main point is they could have given *insert-ship-here* to everyone, and still sent the inactive players the email to let them know what they could get if they came back.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • Options
    mainamaina Member Posts: 430 Arc User

I agree, there was a much better way to do this: they could have given everyone that free ship and spec points for a week or weekend, and still emailed the inactive players to let them know that if they could get those items anytime they come back. Some people act like it had to be one or the other, but that is a strawman falsehood. The method I just suggested would have still accomplished the goal of bringing back anyone who actually cared enough about getting those items to come back, while not causing this silly drama.

For the record, I already owned the ship and already have half a dozen unspent spec points on several different characters, so I don't personally care about "the stuff".

If they gave it to everyone we'd just have "Thanks for giving me what I just bought!" threads.

"Silly Drama" happens.

A real Ferengi would see that by doing this promotion, you might get some people back, the people outraged aren't going to quit over this, and (in true Ferengi fashion) a few people might buy the ship thinking "It was good enough to give away.......".

Also if even one or two of the people who got this email decided they needed to upgrade the weapons or buy something else, it's worth all the "Shitstorm" this forum can dish out.​​
    gHF1ABR.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    maina wrote: »

If they gave it to everyone we'd just have "Thanks for giving me what I just bought!" threads.

Usually when they are actually giving everyone something, the majority tend to shout down the few who complain about already having it. That was pretty much what happened this week to the few complaints I saw from people who already had or had just bought whatever the day's free item was. But yeah, some people always complain about something. And on a related note, some people just like to complain about other people complaining.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • Options
    azurianstarazurianstar Member Posts: 6,985 Arc User
    I wouldn't call it "rewarding players that no longer play" but instead its more like "giving incentives to return to playing STO".

Granted, hearing about 10 specialization points and a free T6 ship stings (given how long it takes to earn Spec points and how expensive T6 ships are), but I honestly can't blame Cryptic or PWE in trying to get people to come back to the game and see how it's changed. Though personally, the Dev Team still needs to develop on weaknesses of STO in why players left, like long-term playability and increased socializing beyond a few minutes in a queue.
  • Options
    cidjackcidjack Member Posts: 2,017 Arc User
    16327_deal-with-it-steve-buscemi-reservoir-dogs_200s.gif

Cryptic is using the "gifts" to bring some players back. It is the same thing as ebay sending me emails offering me 1,000 free listings. It is pretty common to incite players back.
    Armada: Multiplying fleet projects in need of dilithium by 13."
    95bced8038c91ec6f880d510e6fd302f366a776c4c5761e5f7931d491667a45e.jpgvia Imgflip Meme Generator
  • Options
    cidjack wrote: »
    deal with it

Good advice for everybody.

Don't like the email thing? Deal with it.

Don't like people complaining about the email thing? Deal with it.

It applies just as much to the latter group as to the former.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • Options
    mainamaina Member Posts: 430 Arc User
    And on a related note, some people just like to complain about other people complaining.

You and I both know +1 post count. Ff7bvIg.png​​
    gHF1ABR.jpg
  • Options
    fovrelfovrel Member Posts: 1,448 Arc User
    Everybody that says, it is a normal promo campaign to get old players, customers, back, normal since it is a standard way of doing things in business are right of course. There isn't much new here going on. Yet there is something to say about it.

First. When everybody or a lot are doing something, it doesn't mean they are doing the right thing or a good thing. Those qualifications are not decided by numbers.

Now about the promo itself. It is funny, because it is a promo campaign that cannot be or will not be promoted. In my book that is the wrong kind of of promotion. Where was this action announced? I did not see it. So it has to be done in secrecy. All good things has to be done in secrecy, promoting to play a computer game is one of those.

Let's say Cryptic has reasoned over the issue. The campaign will bring back old players, but it will also upset active players. A step forward and a step backward. So they took the negativity for granted. It means they are quite hungry for player numbers. I see a more or less desperate move. What does that mean? Yeah doome thread.
This discussion has been closed.