What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Rewarding Deadbeat Players

Comments

• Options
    darakossdarakoss Member Posts: 850 Arc User
    darakoss wrote: »
    Now it seems people who left for awhile are now deadbeats???
    No, you're not. Welcome back!
    I hope you enjoy your stay, and don't get intimidated by anyone or anything.
    darakoss wrote: »
    . And since we're all Star Trek fans we should be supportive of one another.

The sad truth is that Star Trek fans are no better people than any other. I was a bit disappointed when I realized that, too.​​

Have actually been back for a bit....got through DR and the Iconian wa---conflict---er skirmish. But no free ship for me which is all good. Love my Ambassador and wouldn't trade it for anything right now. Guess I'm more humble than most
    i-dont-always-funny-meme.jpg
    original join date 2010

Member: Team Trekyards. Visit Trekyards today!
  • Options
    thegrandnagus1thegrandnagus1 Member Posts: 5,165 Arc User
    Shame on all of you

Stop counting other people's money.

Stop acting like this.

This is what's wrong with the 'gaming community.'

You seem to have forgotten what you said in the other thread, so allow me to refresh your memory. You said if something doesn't affect you, it's none of your business. And once again, you are replying to peoples comments that don't affect you, and are therefore none of your business, according to your own logic.

Stop acting like this.

As soon as you stop contradicting yourself I will stop pointing it out.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • Options
    william128william128 Member Posts: 14 Arc User
    cidjack wrote: »
    deal with it

Good advice for everybody.

Don't like the email thing? Deal with it.

Don't like people complaining about the email thing? Deal with it.

It applies just as much to the latter group as to the former.

I am dealing with it, I used to spend 30$ a month since i came back, And comming back after a year break to some cool content, and then getting told "Oh if you waited 3 more months you would have gotten ALL of this" Now I'm not even logging in till I either get the Email or until I get the stippend built up to buy the bloody thing. Oh and buying zen? Thats off the table forever. Sorry Cryptic that Intel Cruiser was starting to tempt me but no more, No more money, so whats better a 30$ investment for CONSISTANT profit or just no zen what so ever from 1 customer.

• Options
    mikoto8472mikoto8472 Member Posts: 607 Arc User
    As one of the dead beats I'll chime in here.

I stopped playing STO just around the end of the summer event after I aquired the Nandi. Wasn't anything big or personal, just the combination of the games bugs/flaws and natural player burnout made me kinda just wander off and play other games indefinately.

I occasionally wander through these forums to keep tabs on how the game is progressing or if there is something interesting to catch my attention. Then I saw one of the threads about the Enticement Package. Checked my email, saw I was eligible.

So I accepted it, got myself the Andromeda (which might replace my Eclipse on my engineering toon. I have one of each class up at 60) and my spec points and.... well the enticement worked on me. I'm back and playing again daily indefinately. It worked.

So what can I say? I'll probably be purchasing ZEN soon so I can convert to dil and finish off those upgrades I was running. Everyone wins.

(BTW yeah I resent being called a deadbeat. But hey, its the STO forums. I expected nothing less.)
  • Options
    echattyechatty Member Posts: 5,914 Arc User
    People are not deadbeats if they decide to leave a MMO for awhile. It's called burnout. I've done it before. My son got the email and he has been WANTING to play, but his computer vid card keeps crashing on loading. So stop calling people you don't even know deadbeats.

Yes, mikoto is a friend of mine and I resent anyone calling her a deadbeat. Even I couldn't play for awhile due to a broken arm. I didn't stay away long enough, apparently, because I didn't get the email either. Am I crying over it? No. I'm still playing.

If you must call names, just call them former players, ex players, whatever. There's really no need to call anyone names just because you want to whine about not getting the free ship/spec points.
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.
    I have come to the conclusion that I have a memory like Etch-A-Sketch. I shake my head and forget everything. :D
  • Options
    johnny111971johnny111971 Member Posts: 1,300 Arc User
    I find the notion of calling people Deadbeats for not playing what is essentially a time and money sink that produces absolutely no intrinsic real world value... laughable to say the least.

They are pixels... you're upset over pixels.... if there were ever a moment that someone could say that in 3 months, this will not matter in the slightest... this is it.

To the OP... I encourage you to do the /played challenge... add up all the hours you spent in game, all the money you have spent... and then look at what you actually "have" as a result.

Then realize that it (by most accepted sources) takes 10,000 hours to master a new skill (a real world skill, Piano, Languages, etc... etc... etc)... could you be close to mastering a real world skill that contributes in some beneficial way to society as a whole... could you be taking some of the 14-18 hours a day and donating them to food kitchens, homeless shelters, or helping in some way other than staring at pixels that in the end, when it shuts down or you do... mean absolutely 0, nada, zip. Have contributed 0 to society or humanity as a whole.

Be careful who you call a deadbeat.

Star Trek Online, Now with out the Trek....
  • Options
    koraheaglecrykoraheaglecry Member Posts: 250 Arc User
    I find the notion of calling people Deadbeats for not playing what is essentially a time and money sink that produces absolutely no intrinsic real world value... laughable to say the least.

They are pixels... you're upset over pixels.... if there were ever a moment that someone could say that in 3 months, this will not matter in the slightest... this is it.

To the OP... I encourage you to do the /played challenge... add up all the hours you spent in game, all the money you have spent... and then look at what you actually "have" as a result.

Then realize that it (by most accepted sources) takes 10,000 hours to master a new skill (a real world skill, Piano, Languages, etc... etc... etc)... could you be close to mastering a real world skill that contributes in some beneficial way to society as a whole... could you be taking some of the 14-18 hours a day and donating them to food kitchens, homeless shelters, or helping in some way other than staring at pixels that in the end, when it shuts down or you do... mean absolutely 0, nada, zip. Have contributed 0 to society or humanity as a whole.

If only there was an Awesome or Agree button to upvote this.
  • Options
    foxrockssocksfoxrockssocks Member Posts: 2,482 Arc User

As much as there are points to be made for trying to get perspective, in no way is learning to play the piano somehow superior to a game. It is a hobby, and as a hobby, on its surface, frivolous and irrelevant to society as a whole. Neither is the assumption valid that someone does not also do things such as work in food kitchens or homeless shelters, in addition to playing STO.

However one can easily make the counter argument that being part of a worldwide (okay not quite worldwide due to PWE's banned region bull****) community and exposing oneself to other ideas and cultures, as well as learning game mechanics that revolve around mathematics and may require developing problem solving skills to overcome certain issues in the game, is a worthwhile use of time.
  • Options
    thatcursedwolfthatcursedwolf Member Posts: 1,617 Arc User

As much as there are points to be made for trying to get perspective, in no way is learning to play the piano somehow superior to a game. It is a hobby, and as a hobby, on its surface, frivolous and irrelevant to society as a whole. Neither is the assumption valid that someone does not also do things such as work in food kitchens or homeless shelters, in addition to playing STO.

However one can easily make the counter argument that being part of a worldwide (okay not quite worldwide due to PWE's banned region bull****) community and exposing oneself to other ideas and cultures, as well as learning game mechanics that revolve around mathematics and may require developing problem solving skills to overcome certain issues in the game, is a worthwhile use of time.

Sportsball is valued more than education here. Modern gladiators (with worse healthcare than the originals) concussing away neurons are the pinnacle of society.

Once Cryptic adds some mechanism to cause debilitating lifelong (non-wrist related) injuries it might start to get some respect.
    This is my Risian Corvette. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
  • Options
    leviathan99#2867 leviathan99 Member Posts: 7,747 Arc User
    If you want the rewards from an event, you play the event, right?

If you want dilithium, you run the queue or explain how it isn't worth it and don't.

If you want a holiday event ship, you run the seasonal event or explain how it isn't worth it and don't.

So... Let's apply this here to people upset about what I think is a very well-intentioned idea with sound business behind it:

If you want a returning bonus, you leave the game to get it or explain how it isn't worth leaving the game for it and stay.

Either it's worth it to you to have left the game in order to qualify for this or it isn't worth leaving to get.
  • Options

Worthwhile use of time? No... I do not see that... I find it a hobby, and an interesting distraction... to be sure (I do play). What are those mathmatic and problem solving skills being applied to? Does the OP Tutor students in Math? Are they bringing the mighting problem solving skills from running a fictitious "fleet" to bare on larger world pressing issues such as Climate Change, World Hunger, Food Waste, Food Insecurity, Childhood Obesity? Homelessnesss?

I did not address everyone... I addressed the OP. The OP states they spend 14-16 Hours A DAY in game... that is, essentially, the entire time they are awake... with some food and bathroom breaks thrown in.
    soofismack wrote: »
    Why is Cryptic rewarding players that don't play???

My Wife & I both have 6 toons each that we have done all the storyline & grind to get them to level 60. I am retired and we play way more then we should, 14 -16 hrs per day in the constant grind to keep our toons at the best they can be.
    We read up and watch all the dps videos we can so we can play by all the rules in a pve, "a lot of players should try that sometime". We are also lifetime members who care about the integrity of this game as it carries an iconic name that should not be cheapened in any way. We grew up watching TOS back in the 60s and have seen everything Star Trek since. We also pump a lot of cash into this game to keep up with all the latest shinies.

I seriously question the OP's priorities. There are a LOT of better uses for even half that time.

I stand by each and every word of my post. I make no apologies....

• Options
    lizweilizwei Member Posts: 936 Arc User

These are pixels, and a piano is black and white keys attached to a device that makes noise,
    See, I can pointlessly diminish another person's hobby too.
    Perhaps you should've been doing something more useful like getting an education instead of writing such inanity.
  • Options

Worthwhile use of time? No... I do not see that... I find it a hobby, and an interesting distraction... to be sure (I do play). What are those mathmatic and problem solving skills being applied to? Does the OP Tutor students in Math? Are they bringing the mighting problem solving skills from running a fictitious "fleet" to bare on larger world pressing issues such as Climate Change, World Hunger, Food Waste, Food Insecurity, Childhood Obesity? Homelessnesss?

I did not address everyone... I addressed the OP. The OP states they spend 14-16 Hours A DAY in game... that is, essentially, the entire time they are awake... with some food and bathroom breaks thrown in.

My Wife & I both have 6 toons each that we have done all the storyline & grind to get them to level 60. I am retired and we play way more then we should, 14 -16 hrs per day in the constant grind to keep our toons at the best they can be.
    We read up and watch all the dps videos we can so we can play by all the rules in a pve, "a lot of players should try that sometime". We are also lifetime members who care about the integrity of this game as it carries an iconic name that should not be cheapened in any way. We grew up watching TOS back in the 60s and have seen everything Star Trek since. We also pump a lot of cash into this game to keep up with all the latest shinies.

I seriously question the OP's priorities. There are a LOT of better uses for even half that time.

Hey, sparky. Did you miss the part where the OP said he was retired?
    Any contributions he was to make appear to have been made, and he is now in his leisure years.
    Perhaps reading comprehension is also something you should've learned before arrogantly stomping here with your delusions of grandeur.
  • Options
    I most certainly saw that the OP is retired. Doesn't mean that there are not activities they can be putting their time to better, more meaningful use. Again, the OP is calling people deadbeats for not playing a game...

Had it not been for the OP's condescending attitude I would have scrolled on past. But someone spending a majority of their waking hours ("14-16 hours a day") playing a game, calling someone else a "deadbeat" is laughable.

• Options
    mikoto8472mikoto8472 Member Posts: 607 Arc User
    I think you've struck a nerve or two there johnny. ;)
  • Options
    foxrockssocksfoxrockssocks Member Posts: 2,482 Arc User

As I already pointed out and you failed to refute, your hobbies are not superior or more beneficial than this hobby. Playing the piano does nothing for world hunger or anything else, and neither does learning another language that you never use. I mean personally, I took French and have never used it IRL, because I live no where near any French population, but online I meet French speaking people, go figure.

However, suggesting that anyone should be doing something else with their time than playing STO smacks with hypocrisy and is layered with ignorance of what the person in question actually does besides STO, or has done besides play STO, and involves the problematic, misguided idea that it is somehow everyone's responsibility to address world problems, which also has nothing to do with anything on topic here. And in bringing this up, you have said nothing of value here except to level attacks aimed at the value of them as a person, veiled in some imagined aura of moral superiority. As much as I completely disagree with the OPs stance, your argument is just absurd and insulting.
  • Options
    kamiyama317kamiyama317 Member Posts: 1,295 Arc User
    To be fair, if you are earning money for your skill it's not a hobby anymore.
  • Options
    Playing the piano well can earn you money and enrich the lives of others through listening to music and seeing it performed, for real.

Becoming fluent in a second language is a skill that can earn you money and enrich the lives of others by having a good translator. For real.

Playing video games just passes the time.

Perspective.

independent.co.uk/news/people/youtuber-pewdiepie-opens-up-about-his-73-million-earnings-from-playing-video-games-10374402.html

More perspective.
  • Options
    The height of irony: judging how productive someone else's use of time is, while posting on a video game message board.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • Options
    The height of irony: judging how productive someone else's use of time is, while posting on a video game message board.

Please stop acting like this.

Please.

Like what?

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • Options
    delliboydelliboy Member Posts: 288 Arc User
    I am envious. You have someone to play with you and watch your back. Many of us don't. Try to look at that for the bright side
  • Options
    meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    edited August 2015
    meimeitoo wrote: »
    Seems the OP is taking an extremely self-centered view on this. Not wrong, mind you, just egocentrical. Because, from Cryptic's perspective, 'dead beats' are, indeed, just that: people not spending money (you, the OP, already are). So, the idea is simple: lure the dead beats back into the game with a free ship and some spec points, and maybe they'll start spending again. If not, nothing lost, really; but Cryptic has everything to gain if they do.

So people are deadbeats if they dont spend money on a GAME that they dont want to spend money on?

Silly person, they are not deadbeats to me, LOL, but to Cryptic. :) Personally I don't give a rat's behind whether anonymous person X is not playing the game. Cryptic, however, cares. Their metrics shows them these folks did play a bit, at some point, and then stopped logging in for some reason. Those are the 'deadbeats' they want to reel back in, and get them to spend maybe. So they sent them an email, with the small incentive, if they come back (also something I don't care about at all, btw: my gripes are more with in-game matters).

I've had similar offers from EvE Online, btw, to whom *I* am the deadbeat now, LOL, as I quit playing a long time ago. But CCP does occasionally send me a 'special offer' to return to the game. That's quite normal business practice, really.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options
    meimeitoo wrote: »
    Seems the OP is taking an extremely self-centered view on this. Not wrong, mind you, just egocentrical. Because, from Cryptic's perspective, 'dead beats' are, indeed, just that: people not spending money (you, the OP, already are). So, the idea is simple: lure the dead beats back into the game with a free ship and some spec points, and maybe they'll start spending again. If not, nothing lost, really; but Cryptic has everything to gain if they do.

So people are deadbeats if they dont spend money on a GAME that they dont want to spend money on?

No wonder the STO community is known for being the redheaded step child of the gaming community in other gaming circles...Seriously there isnt a forum for another game that I havent gone into that I havent heard people talking down about STOs community..Youre all out of your minds.

I want to point out this is about 3-5 people on the forums banging this drum and I see nothing indicating it's even a majority forum opinion as most people seem to be disagreeing with those 3-5 people, who are just responding with a high volume of posts. Maybe this is a situation where a poll would be nice because I think you'll find that a high volume of posts are coming from a low number of people upset by it.

Again, I think the promotion could have been handled better and I'd love to be in a room making calls like this to see if I can inject better approaches. But I don't think what they went with was bad or wrong and I find directing insults at people who were chosen for the promotion to be morally reprehensible.
  • Options

Please.

Like what?

I think wanting other people to "earn" what they have by doing what you do is pretty petty and morally indefensible, honestly. Especially when they didn't choose to be targeted for a promotion, those people are NOT you and have circumstances that may differ from yours, and when Cryptic may want different types of people for different reasons. It's "oldest child" syndrome gone amok to want everyone to suffer like you "suffered", especially when that suffering involves a leisure activity.
  • Options

Please.

Like what?

I think wanting other people to "earn" what they have by doing what you do is pretty petty and morally indefensible, honestly. Especially when they didn't choose to be targeted for a promotion, those people are NOT you and have circumstances that may differ from yours, and when Cryptic may want different types of people for different reasons. It's "oldest child" syndrome gone amok to want everyone to suffer like you "suffered", especially when that suffering involves a leisure activity.

What are you talking about? I didn't say anything like any of that.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
This discussion has been closed.