test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

New Featured Episode: Butterfly Effect

Comments

• trygvar13trygvar13 Member Posts: 697 Arc User
    jonsills wrote: »
    Picard thought the reputation of the Iconians might have been overblown by their contemporaries. He was always a bit of an idealist.

Available evidence indicates that Jean-Luc was wrong.
    Heh, I thought he was wrong when I watched that episode the first time back when I was 15... :p No one would go to the amount of effort required to bomb a planet to ruin like that without a reason. Sure you can hypothesize that it wasn't a GOOD reason, but seriously? It takes BIG reason to do something like THAT.

What if Sela traveled back in time and was the one who destroyed Iconia in the first place?
    Dahar Master Qor'aS
  • keletteskelettes Member Posts: 488 Arc User
    edited August 2015
    Here's my take on it from another thread: :smile:

In the blog, where the quotes are from, T'Ket says:
    "The Whole
    was shattered. Our world lost. And I will have payment for every drop of blood that has been spilled."

And Sela ends her fourth transmission with this:
    "... In my own way I am striking back against the Iconians. I
    will succeed. The Whole will shatter, and I will be there to see it."

Either total coincidence, we're not talking about the same Whole... or Sela will indeed travel back in time and cause the destruction on Iconia that triggers the fall of their empire 200,000 years ago. One big blasted circle!

*claps*
    Solved it!
    (j/k ^^)

Link to the chapter:
    http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/9365483
    "Ad astra audacter eamus in alis fidelium."
    -
    "To boldly go to the stars on the wings of the faithful."
  • mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    thats an hour of my life id sooner have back, only 2 changes made, some generic race that no longer exists and a temporally shielded datacore full of data that can only be confirmed from the weapon ship test data.

they all say the same thing in the end, nothing ventured nothing gained and the weapon ship is not the important tool it was claimed to be. in other words fleets and millions of people were wasted on nothing.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
    edited August 2015
    Just started the new episode and I just had to react to this ^^

Cap Kagran:
    "The research teams in the Kyana System require your assistance.

[...] but I need an officer with field experience to evaluate the project and its feasibility."

Uh... excuse me, since when do we have so much field experience with this kind of thing that we qualify for an "evaluation"?? :smiley:

Granted, we used a Devidian portal to travel back into the past once.
    Then, once we were back, we went back there with our ship a second time --- not entirely clear how Drake pulled that off, but hey, sci-fi, okay XP
    Last time something temporal happened to fed side characters was in the Azure Nebula during the Temporal Ambassador episode, and that's something that the character isn't supposed to even remember.

From where I'm sitting, what little experience we have, come from occasions where the opportunity to time travel surfaces by freak accident, or we do the time travel with instructions from people with waaaay more experience.

Go, Kagran, fetch Drake instead XD
    -
  • xiaoping88xiaoping88 Member Posts: 1,493 Arc User
    edited August 2015
    thats an hour of my life id sooner have back, only 2 changes made, some generic race that no longer exists and a temporally shielded datacore full of data that can only be confirmed from the weapon ship test data.

Not a generic race. They are clearly Proto-Sphere-Builders. Their ancestors, to be more precise.

The looks confirm it. The Krenim researcher also states that they tried to adapt Solanae technology to defend against the Borg.

Solanae technology like... hiding in subspace/another layer or reality? The Sphere Builders we know from ENT are known to communicate and act through time. They are the far future version of the "generic" alien from Butterfly, trying to return to real space from their subspace/parallel universe panic room they escaped to to hide from the Borg Collective.

How taking them out of the equation did not mess up the timeline even more? I dunno. But I guess it has something to do with the Temporal Cold War.
    Reality is an illusion.
    The universe is a hologram.
    latest?cb=20130715204749
    Buy gold!
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    kelettes wrote: »
    Go, Kagran, fetch Drake instead XD
    Drake is already there. :eek:
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • kitsunesnoutkitsunesnout Member Posts: 1,210 Arc User
    Keep it simple Annorax! Surprised no one commented on the prefix for the K.I.S Annorax :P Considering how simple the solution to Annorax's goal was, that seems fitting.
  • ghostmatterghostmatter Member Posts: 136 Arc User
    Does freely upgraded to Mk XII means I can get it at, for example, Mk V and get Mk XII for free? Is it the same for previous episodes weapons?
  • toivatoiva Member Posts: 3,276 Arc User
    Does freely upgraded to Mk XII means I can get it at, for example, Mk V and get Mk XII for free? Is it the same for previous episodes weapons?

Yes, if you get the console at any Mk, the upgrading process will be free till it reaches Mk XII. And no, not all episodes' weapons get this free upgrade. The few that do are notably the armor and shield from 'Uneasy Allies' and I think the Antichroniton rifle from 'Broken Circle' (there may be more I currently can't think of).
    TOIVA, Toi Vaxx, Toia Vix, Toveg, T'vritha, To Vrax: Bring in the Allegiance class.
    Toi'Va, Ti'vath, Toivia, Ty'Vris, Tia Vex, Toi'Virth: Add Tier 6 KDF Carrier and Raider.
    Tae'Va, T'Vaya, To'Var, Tevra, T'Vira, To'Vrak: Give us Asylums for Romulans.

Don't make ARC mandatory! Keep it optional only!
  • ghostmatterghostmatter Member Posts: 136 Arc User
    toiva wrote: »
    Thank you!
    edited August 2015
    Just finished the episode.

I figured we'd try something like trying to delay contact with the Iconians or undermine them. X) Too bad it didn't work out.

The mission certainly cleared up how the Krenim weapon is supposed to work XD

As an added difficulty we could've been killed if our shields were reduced to zero and our character was forced to merge with the altered timeline. :smile: Make it more interesting.

The results were... well... to keep spoilers to a minimum, "messed up".
    I noticed some new borg drone models (no, not just that Secundus of Borg - jolly fellow ^^) -- an update to the Collective coming up in the future? Even if not, it's a nice touch; adds to the immersion, to indicate that things have changed -- significantly at that.

Also, poor Noye :smile:
    Loved Tiaru's "Resist this!" line <3 ^^

Looks like time travel is all we've got left, or sit and wait while they erode us bit by bit.

Worlds like Qo'noS are still standing, but with conventional gear, there's no stopping this tide.
    Post edited by kelettes on
    -
  • gypsybladegypsyblade Member Posts: 730 Arc User
    So if you run back into the holodeck before leaving the map after you finish "Butterfly" there's a Jem'Hadar enemy on the other side.
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    trygvar13 wrote: »
    jonsills wrote: »
    Picard thought the reputation of the Iconians might have been overblown by their contemporaries. He was always a bit of an idealist.

Available evidence indicates that Jean-Luc was wrong.
    Heh, I thought he was wrong when I watched that episode the first time back when I was 15... :p No one would go to the amount of effort required to bomb a planet to ruin like that without a reason. Sure you can hypothesize that it wasn't a GOOD reason, but seriously? It takes BIG reason to do something like THAT.
    What if Sela traveled back in time and was the one who destroyed Iconia in the first place?
    The flaw with that idea is that the Iconians controlled more than just Iconia back then. The bombing of Iconia was the last act of the previous war, not the first act.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • kdawgenigmakdawgenigma Member Posts: 300 Arc User
    Since when is Nog our favorite Ferengi?

-Rule of Acquisition #113: Always have sex with the boss.
    -I am one of the many victims from the hijacked Caspian Division.
    I will not let the childish acts of a criminal ruin this game for me.
    -The actions of Cryptic, on the other hand......
    xiaoping88 wrote: »

Not a generic race. They are clearly Proto-Sphere-Builders. Their ancestors, to be more precise.

The looks confirm it. The Krenim researcher also states that they tried to adapt Solanae technology to defend against the Borg.

Solanae technology like... hiding in subspace/another layer or reality? The Sphere Builders we know from ENT are known to communicate and act through time. They are the far future version of the "generic" alien from Butterfly, trying to return to real space from their subspace/parallel universe panic room they escaped to to hide from the Borg Collective.

How taking them out of the equation did not mess up the timeline even more? I dunno. But I guess it has something to do with the Temporal Cold War.

To add to this: In Las Vegas, it was stated that the next storyline (New Dawn) partially revolves around the fallout of the time manipulation tactics used during the Iconian War.

I guess the Sphere Builders will - somehow - play a major roll in this. Maybe Mirror Universe Sphere Builders or Sphere Builders from an alltogether different quantum universe.
    Reality is an illusion.
    latest?cb=20130715204749
    Buy gold!
    The flaw with that idea is that the Iconians controlled more than just Iconia back then. The bombing of Iconia was the last act of the previous war, not the first act.

What if it indeed was the first act?When they lost their leadership - along with the homeworld - the servitors from 200,000 years ago rose up against them, and that triggered the fall of their empire?

-
  • farmallmfarmallm Member Posts: 4,630 Arc User
    From what I saw on the rewards. It will be a 1 time run through on my characters.
    Enterprise%20C_zpsrdrf3v8d.jpg

USS Casinghead NCC 92047 launched 2350
    Fleet Admiral Stowe - Dominion War Vet.
    edited August 2015
    valoreah wrote: »
    To add to this: In Las Vegas, it was stated that the next storyline (New Dawn) partially revolves around the fallout of the time manipulation tactics used during the Iconian War.

I guess the Sphere Builders will - somehow - play a major roll in this. Maybe Mirror Universe Sphere Builders or Sphere Builders from an alltogether different quantum universe.

By all that I hold Holy, please God no. Please no Sphere builders. Please no more temporal war TRIBBLE.

Too late. The chick from the annihilated race was a Proto-Sphere Builder. Look at her. Think about the "Solanae tech" they tried to use to hide from the Borg.

Maybe we even caused this species to become the Sphere Builders somehow, by trapping them in a transdimensional realm via our temporal intervention.

But yeah. Sphere Builders are going to happen.
    Reality is an illusion.
    latest?cb=20130715204749
    Buy gold!
  • dakotadahotnessdakotadahotness Member Posts: 170 Arc User
    So, am I the only one unable to finish the mission because the second wave of borg never shows up?
  • kyrrokkyrrok Member Posts: 1,352 Arc User
    How about an Iconian arc revamp, like the Romulan arc was done, and as the Cardassian arc was rumored to have done?
    edited August 2015
    valoreah wrote: »
    Too late. The chick from the annihilated race was a Proto-Sphere Builder. Look at her. Think about the "Solanae tech" they tried to use to hide from the Borg.

Maybe we even caused this species to become the Sphere Builders somehow, by trapping them in a transdimensional realm via our temporal intervention.

But yeah. Sphere Builders are going to happen.

I'll believe it when I see confirmation from a Dev.

https://www.reddit.com/r/sto/comments/3gvksz/butterfly_a_certain_race_has_appeared_spoilers/

Taco: :::cackles maniacally:::

Questions? ;)

PS: I am not trying to ruin your day. You should just face the inevitable.
    Reality is an illusion.
    latest?cb=20130715204749
    Buy gold!
  • saedeithsaedeith Member Posts: 628 Arc User
    This episode had plenty of facepalm moments.
  • zedbrightlander1zedbrightlander1 Member Posts: 14,764 Arc User
    farmallm wrote: »
    From what I saw on the rewards. It will be a 1 time run through on my characters.
    Not for me. I see an opportunity to try my hand at a Turret ship.

Between the Console - Tactical - Prefire Chamber from Broken Circle and the Antichroniton Infused Tetryon Turrets from Mission: Butterfly I might finally set one up on my Samsar Cruiser.

It's nothing but an experiment, really, but this way It won't cost me anything but my time replaying these missions. :)

f5cc65bc8f3b91f963e328314df7c48d.jpg
    Sig? What sig? I don't see any sig.
  • rooster707rooster707 Member Posts: 901 Arc User
    Okay, I'm not sure if anyone has said this yet, but... Why are Nog and Jarok the ones to make the decision about using the weapon? Since they're deciding to alter the fabric of TIME ITSELF, which could potentially affect everyone, it seems like they should, I don't know, put it to a vote or something. Or at the very least, have qualified representatives from all three factions, instead of one captain and one whatever-the-Romulan-woman-is. (I'm pretty sure I outrank both of them, but the most I was allowed to disagree was "I don't like this, but whatever. You guys do what you want.")
    76561198032353876.png
    Nog was leading the team building the ship and aside from the Krenim he knows the most about it. Kagran was pushing for using the weapon since the start, so there's the Klingon side's stance on the issue.

And since it's Tiaru's homeworld we are messing around with, and the incursion affects the Republic the most, it's logical to let them have the final say, and join the team that will investigate the changes.

As for qualified representatives -- that's why our character was there.

As well as all those temporal agents. Drake from S31 too.
    -
  • farmallmfarmallm Member Posts: 4,630 Arc User
    edited August 2015
    farmallm wrote: »
    Not for me. I see an opportunity to try my hand at a Turret ship.

Between the Console - Tactical - Prefire Chamber from Broken Circle and the Antichroniton Infused Tetryon Turrets from Mission: Butterfly I might finally set one up on my Samsar Cruiser.

It's nothing but an experiment, really, but this way It won't cost me anything but my time replaying these missions. :)

I might run it a couple of times on my Romulan. My Fed and KDF will be 1 time. I almost forgot about the APU build I'm doing. And it uses Tetryon weaponry, so this would help it. I hadn't worked on that ship in a while. But my Romulan is just starting the Vaadwuar story. So it will be a good while before she gets there.
    Enterprise%20C_zpsrdrf3v8d.jpg

USS Casinghead NCC 92047 launched 2350
    Fleet Admiral Stowe - Dominion War Vet.
  • xstarhammerxxstarhammerx Member Posts: 50 Arc User
    I found this mission fairly disappointing. I mean, it's ok, once... but it's going to be extremely tedious in the replays. There's so much talking and so little action... I think it would have worked better as a giant (skippable) cutscene leading up to a mission. Don't get me wrong, the writing and the voice acting are all great. I just didn't feel like there was much need for me to be there for the mission.
  • thay8472thay8472 Member Posts: 6,101 Arc User
    Get back to the war with the Iconians!
    2gdi5w4mrudm.png
    Typhoon Class please!