test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Do you like the idea of "doffing with ships"?

Comments

• Options
    thegrandnagus1thegrandnagus1 Member Posts: 5,165 Arc User
    Yes
    meimeitoo wrote: »
    This poll is *NOT* asking for a final judgement on this system. It is asking for a first reaction to the general idea of a doff-like system using our old ships.

Yeah, but that doesn't really change anything: we still have no clue as to what the new doffing would look like.

If you mean we havent seen the UI, you are right. However, we do know that it will be a similar to the duty officer system, and supposedly let us send our old ships on missions. The simple question this thread poses is if you like that general concept.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • Options
    mainamaina Member Posts: 430 Arc User
    I like the idea of not being told how I should vote in the poll, I like the idea of not basing everything on incomplete data. I like thinking "First impressions" aren't based on bias or in forum terms, "Playing the cool guy". I like the idea of sunsets and long walks on the beach.

​​
    gHF1ABR.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    Yes
    maina wrote: »
    I like the idea of not being told how I should vote in the poll, I like the idea of not basing everything on incomplete data. ​​

In that case, you are in luck, because no one told you how to vote, or how to "base everything" on anything :wink:

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • Options
    koraheaglecrykoraheaglecry Member Posts: 250 Arc User
    Other
    What I want to know is this ALL ships that youve purchased through the CStore etc or all ships sitting in mothballs?

I currently have CStore Ships that arent sitting in mothballs because other event ships are taking up that space since they cant be easily replaced.

Im wondering if these playing cards are going to reflect your collective ship purchases over the course of the game or just whatever you have parked in the Ship Selection.
  • Options
    hravikhravik Member Posts: 1,203 Arc User
    No
    If its just doffing with ships, I'll be completely underwhelmed. I had hoped for so much more than a TCG.
  • Options
    diggingcrumpetdiggingcrumpet Member Posts: 88 Bug Hunter
    Other
    I will wait until further information to change my vote from other to yes/no....hopefully more information will come out this week!! Overall, I am excited and looking forward to the new season, I have not been disappointed yet in 5 years, I love Star Trek Online, keeping the expectations low to ensure I love new systems and episodes. Interesting to read they have planned into 2016 already, that is sooo promising and exciting. Looking forward to spending more Zen this year. Thx.
  • Options
    lilchibiclarililchibiclari Member Posts: 1,193 Arc User
    As for penalties for failed ship missions, I would expect something like how DOFFs get sent to Sickbay--ships from failed missions would be sent to Drydock for a day or two and be unavailable for missions during that time.
  • Options
    gulberatgulberat Member Posts: 5,505 Arc User
    Other
    So that gear or stats of the ship you own do not really matter for the admiralty system...

This is useful information that makes me feel a little less like we are about to get scammed. But we'll see.

Christian Gaming Community Fleets--Faith, Fun, and Fellowship! See the website and PM for more. :-)
    Proudly F2P.  Signature image by gulberat. Avatar image by balsavor.deviantart.com.
  • Options
    dracounguisdracounguis Member Posts: 5,358 Arc User
    Other
    Going to be the same as normal doffing, but just gives Cryptic a new reason to sell C-store/Lockbox ships.
  • Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    Yes
    Sounds interesting enough, but of course, it's not exciting as a few story missions.

But it sounds like a reasonable idea on how to implement the "Admiral's Desk" experience. You send out ships for missions, and at some point you hear back from them.

I could also see a game mode where we control multiple ships in an RTS like interface - but that is only good for combat, and so I think it would have only very limited utility for the game. If you also want to bring some exploration and diplomacy and what not, you need something else. DOFF-like might err on the simplistic side of things. It might be nicer to see stuff happening on a star map.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    Other
    As for penalties for failed ship missions, I would expect something like how DOFFs get sent to Sickbay--ships from failed missions would be sent to Drydock for a day or two and be unavailable for missions during that time.

All of this kinda makes me wonder whether this new ship-dofing system will offer a means to allow for having more ship slots free (on account of some of your ships being on a mission and all).
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options
    taylor1701dtaylor1701d Member Posts: 3,099 Arc User
    No
    zobovor wrote: »
    If I was a newer player, I might be more excited .
    Seeing that I was around when there was talk from Cryptic about using our existing ships as "away teams in space" and having the ability to upgrade our Boffs as 'Captains' to our away team-ships in space ... -- well, let's just say that what I'm seeing now is one more ambitious idea that seems to have been shrunk down to a more managable copy-paste reality .

This.

Also, just going by the DOff system, and how Cryptic generally operates...
    • Higher tier ships will be better for missions? ( So T6 > T1, much like purple DOff > white DOff?)
    • So....$30 a piece for good "DOffs"?
    • Different ship classes being required for different missions? (Much like a Maintenance DOff won't be useful for a Tactical DOff mission, are we going to need good quality ships from all of Tac/Eng/Sci to take proper advantage of the system?)
    • Missions requiring up to THREE ships?
    • What are the chances the number of concurrent missions will be anywhere near just three? (The current number of free ship slots is only eleven)

What are the chances this system isn't going to soak the player base by all but requiring ship slot purchases and multiple T6 purchases, including of ship classes you probably don't even otherwise use? I'm thinking somewhere close to nil...

Ah well, maybe we won't need to use it to be effective. Maybe it will have average rewards, or only payout stuff we can get elsewhere as well. However...
    ...high-end rewards...

... I get the feeling that's not the case. Giving us a whole new system to give us the same old stuff would be a waste. And releasing a system without heavily monetizing it and driving us toward it would be out of character for Cryptic.

So yeah, I have trouble believing this system won't ultimately be very good for Cryptic's wallet, and very bad for anyone who doesn't want to spend hundreds more dollars on this game than they already have.

This is what's worrying me.

So, "No" for now. Maybe ill be pleasantly surprised though. Only time will tell.

[img][/img]OD5urLn.jpg
  • Options
    viox2kviox2k Member Posts: 36 Arc User
    edited August 2015
    No
    timegated content is outdated, it provides nothing to actuall gameplay

instead of bringing real playable endgame content, they continue doing story missions and the so called new doffing system nobody asked for
  • Options
    Yes

All of this kinda makes me wonder whether this new ship-dofing system will offer a means to allow for having more ship slots free (on account of some of your ships being on a mission and all).
    It might just use a completely different slot system.

Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    praxi5praxi5 Member Posts: 1,562 Arc User
    Other
    viox2k wrote: »
    timegated content is outdated, it provides nothing to actuall gameplay

instead of bringing real playable endgame content, they continue doing story missions and the so called new doffing system nobody asked for

That's my problem with it.

It's not going to be fundamentally different than the DOff'ing we have now. You'll use ships instead of DOffs, and get slightly different rewards.

But it's still the same "Click click done", Pokemon in Space.

There's no actual playable content.
  • Options
    meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    Other
    valoreah wrote: »
    Prime example when you don't communicate with your customer and ask them what they would like.

Yeah. Before you know it, we'll wind up with another 'Quick Equip' again, that no one ever asked for. :)
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options
    Yes
    I just updated the OP with all of the info we know so far on the system.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • Options
    koraheaglecrykoraheaglecry Member Posts: 250 Arc User
    Other
    Something else they can toss in the Lockboxes.
  • Options
    sunfranckssunfrancks Member Posts: 3,925 Arc User
    No
    valoreah wrote: »

Bingo! hG7UctY.png Not to mention being another Dil sink to repair ships.

Like there isn't enough tat in them already....
    Fed: Eng Lib Borg (Five) Tac Andorian (Shen) Sci Alien/Klingon (Maelrock) KDF:Tac Romulan KDF (Sasha) Tac Klingon (K'dopis)
    Founder, member and former leader to Pride Of The Federation Fleet.
    What I feel after I hear about every decision made since Andre "Mobile Games Generalisimo" Emerson arrived...
    3oz8xC9gn8Fh4DK9Q4.gif

• Options
    sennahcheribsennahcherib Member Posts: 2,823 Arc User
    No
    well, this seems really a bad idea, more things to buy, more grind, and nothing playable by the players.
  • Options
    Yes
    If the system has "very different rewards" than DOFFing, what does that mean?
    Something new? DOFFing rewards Dilithium, EC, skill points and DOFF XP primarily. So what will the Admiralty System give us?

• Options
    bernatkbernatk Member Posts: 1,089 Bug Hunter
    Yes
    Something new? DOFFing rewards Dilithium, EC, skill points and DOFF XP primarily. So what will the Admiralty System give us?

True. DOFFing rewards everything in this game. Even marks and ships if you want be absolutely precise.
    Tck7dQ2.jpg
    Dahar Master Mary Sue                                               Fleet Admiral Bloody Mary
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    This poll is *NOT* asking for a final judgement on this system. It is asking for a first reaction to the general idea of a doff-like system using our old ships.

Yeah, but that doesn't really change anything: we still have no clue as to what the new doffing would look like.

If you mean we havent seen the UI, you are right. However, we do know that it will be a similar to the duty officer system, and supposedly let us send our old ships on missions. The simple question this thread poses is if you like that general concept.
    The general concept doesn't sound bad, but.... we'll see.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    They already did. :p Got Galor? :p It sounds like you get cards for each ship you own, including lockbox ships.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    Yes
    bernatk wrote: »

True. DOFFing rewards everything in this game. Even marks and ships if you want be absolutely precise.

I could see them not counting things it rarely rewards (like marks and ships) for the purposes of the differences between Admirality and DOFFing.
  • Options
    stobg2015stobg2015 Member Posts: 800 Arc User
    No
    Yeah, no. Not if it's only a reskin of the DOFF system. If it were more like Sword Coast Adventures for starships, that I might be interested in playing. I'll wait and see like everyone else, but we were all interested in something more interactive.
    (The Guy Formerly And Still Known As Bluegeek)