What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Announcing Season 11 - New Dawn!

Comments

• Options
    purplegamerpurplegamer Member Posts: 1,015 Arc User
    skyecolyo wrote: »
    Exploring strange new worlds is great and all that, but what are the KDF going to be up to?

You will explore strange new worlds, pay PWE for the privilege, and you will like it.
  • Options
    trygvar13trygvar13 Member Posts: 697 Arc User
    I really liked that new trailer until I heard... that's when they call in Starfleet. The whole trailer is fed-centric. I have been playing since Day and my main is a Klingon that was created back in the days when you can create a Klingon character after a Fed character had reached level 6. And then you could only level through pvp or boring Save the Sector missions. And then LoR came out and I created a Romulan that allied himself with the KDF. I do have a few Fed characters but the blue side is not appealing to me. I have invested heavily in those 2 chars, bought ships, etc... I have not invested in my blue chars nor do I ever plan to. I'm hoping there will be a few more trailers that will show the KDF and RR but right now I'm worried my STO days might be over. There is no way I will spend time and money on a faction that I don't like. I hope I'm wrong.
    Dahar Master Qor'aS
  • Options
    nephitisnephitis Member Posts: 456 Arc User
    If they want us to explore anything then they can have us explore the entire Andromeda galaxy.
  • Options
    skyecolyoskyecolyo Member Posts: 54 Arc User
    Exploring strange new worlds is great and all that, but what are the KDF going to be up to?

You will explore strange new worlds, pay PWE for the privilege, and you will like it.

Won't be the first season I've skipped recently due to reckless oversight of my faction.
  • Options
    lan451lan451 Member Posts: 3,386 Arc User

Won't be the first season I've skipped recently due to reckless oversight of my faction.

The KDF can be exploring strange new worlds too, just for different reasons than the Feds. It doesn't have to be for scientific or diplomatic reasons like the Feds. The KDF can be exploring to find new glorious battles, new resources to pillage, and new and exciting worlds to conquer in the name of the Empire. You can't do any of that sitting pretty on Qo'nos. You have to go out there to find it.

Of course whether or not Cryptic actually portrays Klingon exploration that way instead of just a cheap rip off of the Fed system is a totally different matter, so that part is a legit concern and is one that I share. But the core concept of exploration in and of itself doesn't exclude the KDF in any way.
    JWZrsUV.jpg
    Mine Trap Supporter
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 Arc User

Explore strange new worlds... and conquer them... for an extra 20000 zen.
  • Options
    zedbrightlander1zedbrightlander1 Member Posts: 14,769 Arc User
    Every time I see the header of this thread I think of this.
    ScreenHunter_1936-Jun.-14-07.28k.jpg
    f5cc65bc8f3b91f963e328314df7c48d.jpg
    Sig? What sig? I don't see any sig.
  • Options
    thegrandnagus1thegrandnagus1 Member Posts: 5,165 Arc User
    edited August 2015
    Geko has made a few recent tweets on this subject. Apparently, the ships you are using for the admiralty system aren't *really* the inactive ships in your inventory. Instead, they are something like a doff that represents those ships you own:

So that gear or stats of the ship you own do not really matter for the admiralty system...

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • Options
    drewburymoredrewburymore Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    Disappointed this means Iconian is ending soon...honestly spend more time fighting Borg (or Cardassians..or Klingons...or Epohh) than Iconians ..was hoping for a long storyline..
  • Options
    steven169beststeven169best Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    will there be anymore featured missions to complete the iconian war as the last featured mission broken circle doesnt end the war it only leaves more questions like what happens now that 1 of the iconians was killed what happens to the krenim device i hope that there is a chance to finish this story before new dawn starts and that its not just referenced in passing
  • Options
    keletteskelettes Member Posts: 488 Arc User
    edited August 2015
    The blog said that New Dawn will be the conclusion to the Iconian War.

So I'm guessing we'll see the big showdown in September with season 11's release, and that maybe we'll see 1-2 more feature episodes linked to the Iconian War to set up the fireworks.
    "Ad astra audacter eamus in alis fidelium."
    -
    "To boldly go to the stars on the wings of the faithful."
  • Options
    farmallmfarmallm Member Posts: 4,630 Arc User

This is where RP comes in. I play a character per faction. So each one has their "own" story.
    Enterprise%20C_zpsrdrf3v8d.jpg

USS Casinghead NCC 92047 launched 2350
    Fleet Admiral Stowe - Dominion War Vet.
  • Options
    thegrandnagus1thegrandnagus1 Member Posts: 5,165 Arc User
    edited August 2015
    farmallm wrote: »

This is where RP comes in. I play a character per faction. So each one has their "own" story.

If you want to make up your own imaginary story, that's fine. But a lot of people want to play a game that has it's own story that makes sense for the faction they are playing. If a person *wants* to RP, that's fine. But if a person *has* to RP to rationalize the game's story for their faction, something is wrong.

Note: I'm not saying S11 *won't* make sense for KDF; I have no idea. I'm simply responding to your RP comment.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • Options
    aliguanaaliguana Member Posts: 262 Arc User
    "The Iconian War" has been going on since the glowing ones convinced Hakeev to blow up Hobus. Basically, everything that has ever happened in STO (up to this point) has been the Iconian War.

I vote that in Season 11 Sela comes back, kicks D'tan back into the sewers, builds her navy up then leads the Romulan Empire in glorious conquest of the Gamma Quadrant (cos, like, she knows where there is a gateway to get there). And then, once we convert countless worlds to the Romulan Cause, we come back to Beta and finally put down those stupid Starfleeters and troublemaking Klingons. Jolan Tru.
    LUKARI GUERILLA GARDENING MILITIA - Glowing fingers are Growing fingers!
  • Options
    farmallmfarmallm Member Posts: 4,630 Arc User
    edited August 2015
    If you want to make up your own imaginary story, that's fine. But a lot of people want to play a game that has it's own story that makes sense for the faction they are playing. If a person *wants* to RP, that's fine. But if a person *has* to RP to rationalize the game's story for their faction, something is wrong.

Note: I'm not saying S11 *won't* make sense for KDF; I have no idea. I'm simply responding to your RP comment.

Usually its the game's story I go by. And try to "spin" it depending on the character. I agree it should have a more story in game. So each side gets to that point, but in their point of view. Like in WoW, both Alliance and Horde got to the same goal. But it was written to their faction's view point. And some missions was different as they worked to the same goal. STO really needs this. For gaming story is a big part. This is also why the Iconian Fiasco story arc failed so much. They rather do blogs about it, and not gaming story.

I really hope this will be addressed in Season 11 and in the future.
    Post edited by farmallm on
    Enterprise%20C_zpsrdrf3v8d.jpg

USS Casinghead NCC 92047 launched 2350
    Fleet Admiral Stowe - Dominion War Vet.
  • Options
    nephitis wrote: »
    If they want us to explore anything then they can have us explore the entire Andromeda galaxy.

I would much prefer be exploring (read conqering) the Gamma Quadrant.
    Dahar Master Qor'aS
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    wardcalis wrote: »
    Aaaaand we have a brand new trailer!

You can find it here!

It is a trailer that indicates Romulans and KDF are being removed from the game and we will be playing starfleet online.

That's exactly how I feel right now. I really hope we get a new trailer that shows the Empire and Republic are still around because I'm not sure it is still worth spending time to improve my Klingon and Romulan characters anymore. Buying anything is out of the question until then.
    Dahar Master Qor'aS
  • Options
    ggsimmonds84ggsimmonds84 Member Posts: 63 Arc User
    Interested to see how the Iconian war is ended. Do we use the timeship weapon? And if we do, will Cryptic be cowards about it or use it as an opportunity to change the game?

Personally I would love if our actions undo some of the things the Iconians did, especially the destruction of Romulus. That would be pretty damn cool. I expect Cryptic to take the easy way out and all that happens is the war is ended.

I feel like ending the war with anything other than the timeship would be a failure.

I am cautiously optimistic about exploration. My suspicion is that exploration means we end up killing generic aliens like the failed exploration clusters but I'm hopeful that they realized what Star Trek is about. I would not complain about having multiple episodes that do not require the use of weapons to complete.
  • Options
    johnshaftoestojohnshaftoesto Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited August 2015
    Admiralty system is very nice, but what's about exploration and diplomatic missions? "Entire galaxy out there... waiting for us".

Time to make this game interesting.
    I'd like to see reworked tricorder/scanner system and space scan mode. I hope... I think devs can add 3-5 additional buttons and new, more realistic and functional tricorder frame instead of an old one. This game needs another side... not only battle, not only campaign, not only grind by same ways over and over. And this side should be even harder.
  • Options
    talientalien Member Posts: 712 Arc User
    Admiralty system is very nice, but what's about exploration and diplomatic missions? "Entire galaxy out there... waiting for us".

Time to make this game interesting.
    I'd like to see reworked tricorder/scanner system and space scan mode. I hope... I think devs can add 3-5 additional buttons and new, more realistic and functional tricorder frame instead of an old one. This game needs another side... not only battle, not only campaign, not only grind by same ways over and over. And this side should be even harder.

Yeah. I'd like to see some missions that require the use of diplomacy and will fail if you go in guns blazing or choose too many wrong dialogue options. A few of those would make sense even for the KDF, afterall what use is a potential ally if you TRIBBLE them off or kill them instead of persuading them that it would be in their best interests to side with the empire?
  • Options
    xiaoping88xiaoping88 Member Posts: 1,493 Arc User
    Two things:

First: Blue-ish star prominently featured in the trailer (and the Season logo) seems to radiate massive amounts of... stuff.
    The Andromeda galaxy (as established by the Kelvans in TOS) is currently in the process of being roasted by abnormal stellar radiation activity.

Andromeda galaxy after all?

Second: The ship most prominently featured in the trailer is an Andromeda class.

How all of this fits in with DS9, the Badlands, Tholians and the MU though? No idea, maybe I am just hyper-theorizing.
    Reality is an illusion.
    The universe is a hologram.
    latest?cb=20130715204749
    Buy gold!
  • Options
    ltcmdjamescoreltcmdjamescore Member Posts: 423 Arc User
    xiaoping88 wrote: »
    Two things:

First: Blue-ish star prominently featured in the trailer (and the Season logo) seems to radiate massive amounts of... stuff.
    The Andromeda galaxy (as established by the Kelvans in TOS) is currently in the process of being roasted by abnormal stellar radiation activity.

Andromeda galaxy after all?

Second: The ship most prominently featured in the trailer is an Andromeda class.

How all of this fits in with DS9, the Badlands, Tholians and the MU though? No idea, maybe I am just hyper-theorizing.

And add that Sela's trying to bring Dominion against Iconians...
    izNBNFT.jpg
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 Arc User
    Frankly, I find it disappointing that this new system is just a new doff thing. Very, VERY, disappointing.

Now, if they were to restore exploration and diplomacy missions to being non-doff like it used to be, I'd be somewhat less disappointed.
  • Options
    johnshaftoestojohnshaftoesto Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    This game NEEDS renewed PvP (maps, tasks, perhaps something like open zones with some kind of team diplomacy etc) and vast exploration expansion.

Also, they can start selling tricorders as part of character equipment. Common tricorders, rare tricorders, very rare tricorders with their own statistics.

Ofcourse, then they'll have to rebuild scan system from casual screen to something much more detailed and... sophiscated. But more interesting.
  • Options
    sunfranckssunfrancks Member Posts: 3,925 Arc User
    Disappointed this means Iconian is ending soon...honestly spend more time fighting Borg (or Cardassians..or Klingons...or Epohh) than Iconians ..was hoping for a long storyline..

Let's be honest, the Iconian war never actually started, aside from a couple of FE's.

That isn't a war....

Fed: Eng Lib Borg (Five) Tac Andorian (Shen) Sci Alien/Klingon (Maelrock) KDF:Tac Romulan KDF (Sasha) Tac Klingon (K'dopis)
    Founder, member and former leader to Pride Of The Federation Fleet.
    What I feel after I hear about every decision made since Andre "Mobile Games Generalisimo" Emerson arrived...
    3oz8xC9gn8Fh4DK9Q4.gif

• Options
    cryvactheblackcryvactheblack Member Posts: 15 Arc User
    Basically it looks like this is going to be the STO version of never winters Sword Coast adventures where ships are sent out in the same way that followers are sent out. Each mission has tasks to complete and certain followers (ships) are better at some tasks than others.

I hope you are wrong but it does make sense considering Cryptic's history. That would be a total disappointment on the other hand I really do not want to have to grind duplicate gear for my inactive ships either as it will make the new system drag on far to much for my liking.

I would love to be able to send out the resources I have at hand and be able to complete missions well with an excellent chance at success but like most players i have only truly got 1 ship fully equipped at the moment and that is the one I am using so we will have to see.
    and of course there is the problem of not having enough bridge officers to go around if they are required to crew my ships. I mean I still get some new recruits from duty officer missions from time to time but all my bridge crew slots are full so Cryptic would have to improve the amount of slots we can earn if we require these Bridge Officers to crew our ships.
    Of course they could build an entire new storage system that would allow us to promote bridge officers and assign them to the fleet sort of like they made Fleets in game, where you have a separate storage window where you can assign Bridge officers, gear and ships to be used in your own personal fleet or armada. That would free up space in your main inventory as long as I can freely change crew and gear and ships in between the 2 I will be happy
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    sov42 wrote: »
    Frankly, I find it disappointing that this new system is just a new doff thing. Very, VERY, disappointing.

Now, if they were to restore exploration and diplomacy missions to being non-doff like it used to be, I'd be somewhat less disappointed.
    Yes and no. As far as I can tell, the "cards" you get are based on which ships you have purchased in the Z-Store or acquired through other means.... such as the Risa event.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    To be totally honest I would also like to see some expansion with other races such as the Cardassians, Sela and the Tal-Shiar and the Dominion just for starters, Maby even the Undine and Fluidic space.
    The mirror universe twist will be interesting, maby we will invade them and "BRING A NEW ORDER TO THE MIRROR UNIVERSE" Although that would not go very well with the premise of Peaceful explorers of the galaxy. but think of the plot twist the good guys becoming "twisted and Evil" and changing from seemingly innocent Explorers to Conquerors. The Klingon Empire would approve I'm sure.
    I think the worm hole and Deep space 9 is as good a place to start as any.
  • Options
    I just hope this new season will not end up being a money grabbing waste of time and leave us players with nothing more than a sense of being used and disappointed I think the Iconian war was decent. although far to short but some new things were successfully brought in the weekly bonuses associated with the feature mission was quite successful as far as I am concerned.
    I guess only time will tell if STO and cryptic will develop a winner or a lemon. In the mean time I am hesitantly going to try and keep an open mind. I wish the developers at sto and cryptic the best of luck. We the fans and players will be watching,