test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Tales of the War #16

Comments

• zaalbarzaalbar Member Posts: 35 Arc User
    You know if they do manage to restore Romulus then it could be an excuse to turn the Romulan Republic/Romulan Empire into a fully fledged faction instead of the half-faction it currently is. Since they won't lose a large portion of their population to the Hobus Supernova they won't be a third-rate power dependent on Fed and Klingon support, they'll be a large power in and of themselves. Of course I highly doubt Cryptic could actually pull this off given the current state of the game (and any drastic change like this would mean throwing out most of the early missions) but it's still fun to think about.
  • smiley117smiley117 Member Posts: 12 Arc User
    renarcene wrote: »
    Bear in mind that by undoing the Hobus incident, Spock will not have tried to stop the subspace reaction with red matter. This means that both he and the Nerada would never go back and create the alternative timeline of the JJverse. I'm not sure if that's a good thing or not...

Edited for spelling
    Stupid auto-carrot hâts mí

THATS A GREAT THING
  • farmallmfarmallm Member Posts: 4,630 Arc User
    So the Republic wants to go back to their old ways. I see they hit the Romulan Ale way too much. Then again theses blogs are from drunks anyways.
    Enterprise%20C_zpsrdrf3v8d.jpg

USS Casinghead NCC 92047 launched 2350
    Fleet Admiral Stowe - Dominion War Vet.
  • whisperorwhisperor Member Posts: 71 Arc User
    I remember that a while back that Paramount Pictures (and maybe some other copyright holders of the Star Trek franchise) had plans of merging the Abrams universe with the Prime universe (the one where TOS, Next GEN, DS9, VOY, ENT and STO take place). Maybe this is it; the use of Annorax' temporal vessel to alter the timeline. >:)
  • AdmiralThraxAdmiralThrax Member Posts: 26 Arc User
    Stay cautious and remember, not every incursion with the vessel produced the right outcome. It could create an even more powerful opponent to fill the vacuum.

Also remember - CBS will not allow them to rewrite trek lore that much ;) They can change the games present, but it's doubtful Romulus will meet a different fate.
    780x350.png
  • subzer0d1videsubzer0d1vide Member Posts: 144 Arc User
    Maybe they can use the device to go back to a time when we could log in a actually play ;)
    --

"The higher the fewer."
  • robeasomrobeasom Member Posts: 1,911 Arc User
    Please let this be the start to bring the romulans back into the power base that they once were these romulans we have at the moment are a shadow of the former selves and suck up to the feds and kdf. Romulans are a cunning and deceitful people please make them that. Then I may go back to playing my romulan more
    NO TO ARC
    Vice Admiral Volmack ISS Thundermole
    Brigadier General Jokag IKS Gorkan
    Centurion Kares RRW Tomalak
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • lizweilizwei Member Posts: 936 Arc User
    You are vastly naive if you actually think there'll be any permanent changes outside of one mission where the weapon's incursions will be promptly undone, everybody involved made to look like an idiot and the ship thrown in another bottomless money pit lockbox.
  • kitsunesnoutkitsunesnout Member Posts: 1,210 Arc User
    "I have made a detailed study of the records left behind by the Krenim inventor of this technology," Sann said, sipping his drink. "Annorax, wished to restore something very specific that the Krenim had lost. In his later writings, he speculated that time itself was fighting against him."

Wait, what? We have Annorax's writings from the timeline that was erased at the end of 'Year of Hell, Part II"? Or did he discombobulate something in this timeline as well?

This is why I hate temporal mechanics...

I believe it was stated in "Time in a Bottle" that the Krenim were capable of observing alternate timelines, and were aware of the basic events of the Annorax's mission. They didn't know Voyager was involved, though.

But yeah, this is not going to end well.

I find it suspicious they claim to only know basic events of Annorax's mission, they could be lying to us and have a score to settle with Starfleet by tricking the alliance, or at least some in the Krenim may be bitter against Starfleet for stopping Annorax from completely or near completely restoring the Imperium. There could be quite a conspiracy here.
  • jorantomalakjorantomalak Member Posts: 7,133 Arc User
    maina wrote: »
    zulisvel wrote: »
    This is going to end very, very badly.

What's the worst that could happen?

Kurland decides the fate of humanity rests on a trade in 1918. Obviously Bostons trade of the Bambino was a Iconian plot. It is no coincidence the the STO servers are in Boston.......

Seriously, you can't tell me Adranna is the only problem you people see, how many Higher ups have agendas here, How many plans do Section 31 and other factions have in motion? This Time-Ship is a Pie that everyone wants a piece of. This ship and it's potential use, could be a whole season.

​​

Ok they give me the timeship because adranna is an idiot and disaster waiting to happen i mean common whats the worst that could happen?

*momments later the universe explodes for the 610th time*

DAMNIT TOVAN!!! quit pressing the damn fire button now we gotta fix everything AGAIN!!
  • xylylxylyl Member Posts: 45 Arc User
    So if the Romulan Republic no longer exists, does this mean that the Zen, Lobi and dilithium I spent on Romulan ships and equipment shall suddenly be restored when the purchased ships and equipment suddenly never happened?

Cheers... Admiral Cybyl
    Thus spake Admiral Cybyl:  Alea iacta est. Ibis redibis,numquam per bello peribis. Ergo, per aspera ad astra!
  • shadowmane20001shadowmane20001 Member Posts: 70 Arc User
    The Doctor suddenly pops out into the room, "Perhaps you should listen from an expert. There are some points in the time stream which are Fixed points in time. Events which MUST happen. That nothing and no amount of meddling can alter. The destruction of Praxus, the Destruction of Krypton, Alderaan. All of these are Fixxed points in time. And if you break a fixxed point. You destroy Time it's self."

"SECURITY!"

Then they watch as the Doctor pops out in a flash of light.
  • vorwodavorwoda Member Posts: 698 Arc User
    Temporal Weapon Officer's log, Stardate...oh, heck! Who am I kidding? I get paid to mess with TIME! Who knows what Stardate it is by now!

Things to do today (whenever today is):

Erase Tasha Yar from the timeline. This not only prevents Sela from being born, but saves Romulus, prevents the Republic from forming, gets Tovan off our ships, probably keeps Adranna from being born, and gives STO something to do after the Iconians are finished), It also lets Armus kill Troi, which keeps her from piloting the Enterprise-D to its destruction in Generations. This probably means TNG runs another 3 seasons. Yay!

See, Temporal Weapons simplify things AND make your DVD library better! Everybody wins (except for Adranna, Sela, Tasha, Tovan and Troi, but who cares?)!

Alternatively, use the device to save Edith Keeler. This causes the Axis to win WWII, which leaves STO set in the Mirror Universe - where the Iconians are peaceful goatee-wearing evergy/crystal beings, who we can easily conquer. While not as great, I now want to see a picture of an Iconian with a goatee! >:) Also, in the Mirror Universe, Enterprise only has 2 episodes with its crappy theme song, while all the others have the Mirror Universe credits, so we're that much ahead, too! So your DVD library is STILL better!

Whee!
  • catoblepasbetacatoblepasbeta Member Posts: 1,532 Arc User
    Not surprising-looks like using time travel to bring back Romulus is going to off the table. Presumably we'll have an episode coming up with time travel-since it looks like that's what we'll be doing to get rid of the Iconians. Romulus will probably come back as part of it, but it will probably come back 'wrong' and we'll have to fix it/blow it up, because Romulus was 'fated' to be destroyed or some such hogwash.

Of course, butterfly effect and all that means that one's actions while time traveling can have wild, unpredictable effects-but considering all the times we have already pulled it off without a hitch in the game already, I can't help but roll my eyes at this.

Of course time travel won't bring back Romulus (although considering the causes of the sueprnova can be tracked to the actions of a handful of individuals, it should be simple compared to what the Krenim were doing) Cryptic has already established the Republic as a faction, so they'll never let us play as the Star Empire. Furthermore, bringing them back would completely torpedo the Republic/Federation/Klingon alliance we have going, and would basically undo all of the plot up until this point. Not even Cryptic would be up for that, I hope.
  • divvydenddivvydend Member Posts: 131 Arc User
    zulisvel wrote: »
    This is going to end very, very badly.

What's the worst that could happen?

Quoth the Raven "Nevermore"
  • aliguanaaliguana Member Posts: 262 Arc User
    can we just reverse the timeline for a day or two, bring back Romulus, and beam down and get some decent Romulan outfits and a Romulan science-ship or two? Then you can put time back, we're cool :)

LUKARI GUERILLA GARDENING MILITIA - Glowing fingers are Growing fingers!
  • hakazehakaze Member Posts: 81 Media Corps
    temporal baselines dictate that the cause of a temporal alteration cannot be erased as it would create a time paradox due to never having been done in the first place. Our anachronistic ahab here with his precious ship experienced that first hand. even if the ship itself is shielded against alterations to history, the timeflow seems to have some sort of innate safety mechanisms to divert events to avoid paradoxes from forming. However the restoration of things that happened past the interaction with krenims. erasing iconian attack fleets by destroying em while holding at a supply base would restore all of their former victims. One thing is for sure. Erasing the iconian sphere or iconian leaders due to their extreme age as the first seeded race by the first one in our galaxy would alter history in uncalculable ways.

time could also be used to fight iconians one on one, if it was possible to create a temporal displacement that would set the iconian brain tissue to a time before their creation, due to the chroniton entanglement of their brain their entire being would be set to that point. and be erased :O causing em to drop dead :O
    ktamradio If you are looking for some nice music while playing clicky clicky click!

mWKbuCx.png
  • lizweilizwei Member Posts: 936 Arc User
    edited August 2015
    vorwoda wrote: »
    , It also lets Armus kill Troi, which keeps her from piloting the Enterprise-D to its destruction in Generations. This probably means TNG runs another 3 seasons. Yay!

Okay a little off topic but.. Why do people blame Troi for that?
    The loss of the Enterprise D is 100% Riker's fault. He's the one who fumbled in the captain's chair and lost a fight to a Klingon garbage scow he should've easily won even without shields.
    Moreover, even if you somehow blame Troi for not piloting the saucer away from the mess Riker caused.. Here's the thing. She is not a trained pilot. You know who *is* a trained pilot? Riker. And he orders the ship's psychiatrist to the helm.
    What, was his beard in the way?

It's no wonder Riker took 14 years to get his own command, the man is a danger to himself and others.
  • vusixvusix Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited August 2015
    What is Adranna doing anything near any classified project, let alone this one, after all she has done.
    majosea61 wrote: »
    I think the timeshot should be used to stop M'tara from blasting the Preservers so we get the information from the computer on how to stop them.

I might remember incorrectly, but I thought our delta recruits did get that information from the preserver computers. Or at least information about the Icconians.

• captaincelestialcaptaincelestial Member Posts: 1,925 Arc User
    I, for one, would like to see a Season (give or take) of an altered timeline as a result of this.

Something to shake things up, offer different versions of maps, ships, and equipment, even if it's for a relatively short time, and for the sake of variety still be available in various forms when the altered timeline is over.
  • forthegamerforthegamer Member Posts: 177 Arc User
    What if the thing we need to do is fourfold with history being changed. Only slightly and not anything that isn't drastic in nature, since Time be like "oh no you didn't~" when we try changing drastic things.

First - Restore the Krenim to power, but not the old empire. Rather bring the current one from out of hiding and on even level with us. Yes, that will likely lead to bad things later (the Time War), but it would need to be done because of the bad things later and things that need to get done right now. We need their technology, to alter time to our advantage at the moment.

Two - Find, discover and bring back "The Other". The Other will be the key factor to us winning the war. I first thought it was the Krenim, but I now think the Other is a long since dead race. Maybe the Tkon Empire? They did rule the Alpha Quadrant long ago. Though, that's basically like the Krenim. We're adding to problems later that we don't want now.

Three - Bring the Gamma Quadrant/Dominion into the fight. This will be another "this is going to be bad later" for us, but we need the strength of the Gamma Quadrant. In fact, that might be one of the game changers is to go back into the past and start trying to round up the Gamma Quadrant to aid us. Will be difficult, but necessary.

Four - Kill T'Ket. This is probably the biggest thing that needs to be changed. It'll still mean we fight the Iconians, but them losing one of their own out of the gate is a much better prospect than who dies later. Also, it would make the Emperor a hero instead of a martyr, which will likely lead to a rejuvenated cause. Also, we'll probably figure out some way to kill them easier.

That's what I'm thinking we need to do with trying to play with time.
  • bluedarkybluedarky Member Posts: 548 Arc User
    edited August 2015
    Ironically I ran the numbers myself, the best shot at ending the war with the weapon is to use it on the Iconia Sphere, this has 3 possible outcomes.

Outcome 1 - The Iconians move into the Solenea Sphere and survive in the Delta Quadrant, this results in the war being kickstarted earlier with us (and possibly the Voth) invading their current home directly although more likely with the Solenea race acting as their heralds as such potentially weakening the invasion as a whole, this is what we call the best case scenario.

Outcome 2 - The Iconians don't move into a sphere and are wiped out, the Undine never attempt an invasion of the Alpha/Beta Quadrants, Romulus survives, and the new universe is a political minefield for our characters who are used to a universe where the three major powers are allied against a single threat. This is our middle of the road scenario.

Outcome 3 - The Iconians move into the Jenolan sphere instead and the war is kickstarted 110 years earlier by the USS Jenolan crashing into the Sphere which the Iconians view as an attack upon them, our captains, should they be born at all, are born into a universe where they are mere slaves to their glorious Iconian Masters and rebellions are squashed quickly should they arise at all due to the lack of advancement in technologies mandated by the Iconians to prevent a rebellion.

So yeah, weapon=bad idea.
  • vorwodavorwoda Member Posts: 698 Arc User
    lizwei wrote: »
    vorwoda wrote: »
    , It also lets Armus kill Troi, which keeps her from piloting the Enterprise-D to its destruction in Generations. This probably means TNG runs another 3 seasons. Yay!

Okay a little off topic but.. Why do people blame Troi for that?
    [SNIP]

I don't, actually. My entire post was intended humourously. I probably should have chucked in an extra couple of smileys to clarify that! Sorry. o:)

On topic: 100% agree about Adranna. WTF is she doing still employed on ANY important project? In addition to her incompetence and her history of Undine influence, the fact that she's a bobble-head toon with a strident, annoying voice doesn't help, either. Unlike Troi, she's one character I really WOULD be happy to see killed off.
  • makocallowaymakocalloway Member Posts: 455 Arc User
    edited August 2015
    Time ship usage debate aside (doom doom DOOM), there are three elements, which others have mentioned, that some how well be evolved in what ever happens: the Dominion, the preserver's cryptic comments, and the Other.
    5rFUCPd.png

• posianposian Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    hmm another thought, as a possible side effect of this has anyone had the temporal cold war from Star Trek Enterprise come to mind?
    Personally, I think this is the thinking behind the development of the Kremin weapon http://freefall.purrsia.com/ff2400/fv02349.htm
  • gulberatgulberat Member Posts: 5,505 Arc User
    veryth12 wrote: »
    dave18193 wrote: »
    ... even if they did restore Romulus, it wouldn't be a free Romulus. It would probably have the same brutal dictatorship as before it was blown up.

I would have to agree. While the loss of life involved with the destruction of Romulus and Remus was horrible, it along with the Iconian threat did have the effect of bringing together some of the largest powers in the alpha and beta quadrents. It is unrealistic of them to think that they will be able to use that weapon to change things in a way that leaves the universe just as it is today, just without the iconians attacking...

Plus they're not thinking about other capabilities that ship has, that could allow an offensive against the Iconians without altering the timeline. I've expounded upon those in other threads.
    Stay cautious and remember, not every incursion with the vessel produced the right outcome. It could create an even more powerful opponent to fill the vacuum.

Also remember - CBS will not allow them to rewrite trek lore that much ;) They can change the games present, but it's doubtful Romulus will meet a different fate.

That is a VERY good point right there. This attempt, if it goes forward, is IMO doomed to fail.

Christian Gaming Community Fleets--Faith, Fun, and Fellowship! See the website and PM for more. :-)
    Proudly F2P.  Signature image by gulberat. Avatar image by balsavor.deviantart.com.
    gulberat wrote: »
    That is a VERY good point right there. This attempt, if it goes forward, is IMO doomed to fail.

Of course it is, I've said before that they've mentioned it too much for the weapon not to be fired, but it's too clean a solution for it to actually work as planned.
  • chipg7chipg7 Member Posts: 1,577 Arc User
    edited August 2015
    gradii wrote: »
    If romulus was never destroyed the republic never existed. Remember what the temporal agent says on the flotilla.

The Republic does NOT want to see the timeline changed to bring back Romulus.
    This new Tales of the war is as bad as #14

Yeah, that's a problem. The Republic is definitely a good thing, but it was most definitely borne of a tragedy. There's a lot of bad that's happened over the last few decades, but also a lot of good. As both the Krenim's and the Republic's respective 'time scientists' are finding out, there's no easy answer when you're trying to 'correct' the past while keep things 'good.' It's disruptive, potentially disatrous, and largely subjective as to what should and shouldn't be touched.

Better off not trying, and just making the best of what history brings us as we go along.
    A lot of people keep saying if Romulus was not destroyed then there would be no Republic and it would still be a violent dictatorship. I respectfully disagree. Before Hobus the Reunification movment led by Spock was no longer a secret, underground organization and was starting to make some headway. Peace and diplomacy were the norms of the day and while the Prator was ineffective, at least he was understanding of outside opinions and influences. Had Romulus survived the social trends of the time suggested that the Empire would have embraced reunification with the Vulcans and Remans, thus leading to their inclusion in the United Federation of Planets.

Yeah, that's one of the unknowns. The Republic wasn't the first attempt at a break-away state to replace the crumbling Empire, and even without New Romulus there would've been massive change in the long-term. Whether it would've taken a bloody internal war with a higher body count than even Hobus amassed... who knows? The results are entirely unpredictable until a holodeck simulation shows just how badly you screwed up :tongue:
    edited August 2015
    chipg7 wrote: »
    The results are entirely unpredictable until a holodeck simulation shows just how badly you screwed up :tongue:

Due to chaos theory any holodeck simulation could be wildly off course compared to what actually happens.