test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Tales of the War #16

pwlaughingtrendypwlaughingtrendy Member Posts: 2,966 Arc User
"It is fortunate that you are testing your calculations in the Holodeck, before you destroy your homeworld for the six hundred and ninth time."

Check out our latest Tales of the War!

~LaughingTrendy

Comments

• Options
    milen93milen93 Member Posts: 55 Arc User
    This is going to end very, very bad
  • Options
    rahmkota19rahmkota19 Member Posts: 1,929 Arc User
    edited August 2015
    A good read in a very good series.​​
  • Options
    zulisvelzulisvel Member Posts: 518 Arc User
    This is going to end very, very badly.
  • Options
    themetalstickmanthemetalstickman Member Posts: 1,010 Arc User
    *in Michael Dorn voice* I knew Adranna would be trouble!

Seriously though, Adranna is on the way to becoming the next Taris.​​
    Og12TbC.jpg

Your father was captain of a starship for twelve minutes. He saved 800 lives, including your mother's, and yours.

I dare you to do better.
  • Options
    pwlaughingtrendypwlaughingtrendy Member Posts: 2,966 Arc User
    zulisvel wrote: »

What's the worst that could happen?
  • Options
    dave18193dave18193 Member Posts: 416 Arc User
    I would have thought D'Tan would have fired her by now, given her breathtaking incompetence. How much more stupid can one person come up with?

On a side note: even if they did restore Romulus, it wouldn't be a free Romulus. It would probably have the same brutal dictatorship as before it was blown up.
    Got a cat? Have 10 minutes to help someone make the best degree dissertation of all time?

Then please fill out my dissertation survey on feline attachment, it'd be a massive help (-:

https://www.surveymonkey.co.uk/r/87XKSGH
  • Options
    jorantomalakjorantomalak Member Posts: 7,133 Arc User

When it concerns the incompetence of one adranna....in the old empire this incompetent fool wouldve been exiled to the mines of remus where the only ones who could be harmed by her stupidity would be the remans.

By d'tan allowing this fool to continue to work as his head researcher only proves his own incompetence as a leader i do hope the empress figures a way to unite us romulans again under the flag of the empire.

Our wounds need to heal that is true but not grow incompetent in the process due to having weak leaders with even weaker minds.
  • Options
    shpoksshpoks Member Posts: 6,967 Arc User
    Seriously though, Adranna is on the way to becoming the next Taris.​​
    zrX578k.gif
    HQroeLu.jpg
  • Options
    galattgalatt Member Posts: 707 Arc User
    First, whoever writes these deserves a raise.

Second, this is what we all feared. Too many people with their own agendas for that weapon.

And after hearing Adranna, there's a line from "The Hunt for Red October" that comes to mind now;
    "You arrogant a***, you've killed us all!"
    sig_picture_resize_by_gx_9901-db9d1v1.png
  • Options
    firekeeperhufirekeeperhu Member Posts: 416 Arc User
    i see genocide-operation is still a go.
    <3 Defiant <3

RnD and upgrade needs less RNG. Less lottery. Something has to change.
  • Options
    veryth12veryth12 Member Posts: 102 Arc User
    dave18193 wrote: »
    ... even if they did restore Romulus, it wouldn't be a free Romulus. It would probably have the same brutal dictatorship as before it was blown up.

I would have to agree. While the loss of life involved with the destruction of Romulus and Remus was horrible, it along with the Iconian threat did have the effect of bringing together some of the largest powers in the alpha and beta quadrents. It is unrealistic of them to think that they will be able to use that weapon to change things in a way that leaves the universe just as it is today, just without the iconians attacking...
  • Options
    AdmiralThraxAdmiralThrax Member Posts: 26 Arc User
    edited August 2015
    "I have made a detailed study of the records left behind by the Krenim inventor of this technology," Sann said, sipping his drink. "Annorax, wished to restore something very specific that the Krenim had lost. In his later writings, he speculated that time itself was fighting against him."

Wait, what? We have Annorax's writings from the timeline that was erased at the end of 'Year of Hell, Part II"? Or did he discombobulate something in this timeline as well?

This is why I hate temporal mechanics...

780x350.png
  • Options
    captainoblivouscaptainoblivous Member Posts: 2,284 Arc User
    Heh, this one made me giggle a wee bit!
    609th time, here we come!
    I need a beer.

• Options
    thay8472thay8472 Member Posts: 6,101 Arc User
    What are we going to fire it at? :open_mouth:
    2gdi5w4mrudm.png
    Typhoon Class please!
  • Options
    myobxinfinitymyobxinfinity Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    Just disable the safeties on my Wells and I'll have this whole mess cleaned up in a jiffy. B)
  • Options
    psycoticvulcanpsycoticvulcan Member Posts: 4,160 Arc User
    edited August 2015
    "I have made a detailed study of the records left behind by the Krenim inventor of this technology," Sann said, sipping his drink. "Annorax, wished to restore something very specific that the Krenim had lost. In his later writings, he speculated that time itself was fighting against him."

Wait, what? We have Annorax's writings from the timeline that was erased at the end of 'Year of Hell, Part II"? Or did he discombobulate something in this timeline as well?

This is why I hate temporal mechanics...

I believe it was stated in "Time in a Bottle" that the Krenim were capable of observing alternate timelines, and were aware of the basic events of the Annorax's mission. They didn't know Voyager was involved, though.

But yeah, this is not going to end well.
    NJ9oXSO.png
    "Critics who say that the optimistic utopia Star Trek depicted is now outmoded forget the cultural context that gave birth to it: Star Trek was not a manifestation of optimism when optimism was easy. Star Trek declared a hope for a future that nobody stuck in the present could believe in. For all our struggles today, we haven’t outgrown the need for stories like Star Trek. We need tales of optimism, of heroes, of courage and goodness now as much as we’ve ever needed them."
    -Thomas Marrone
  • Options
    jrq2jrq2 Member Posts: 263 Arc User

It throws the game back to Open Beta.
  • Options
    vengefuldjinnvengefuldjinn Member Posts: 1,520 Arc User
    Just disable the safeties on my Wells and I'll have this whole mess cleaned up in a jiffy. B)
    Indeed !

tumblr_o2aau3b7nh1rkvl19o1_400.gif

• Options
    freakiumfreakium Member Posts: 426 Arc User
    thay8472 wrote: »
    What are we going to fire it at? :open_mouth:

M'Tara's corpse which is currently a wall-hanger at the Krenim station.
    m12Pkoj.png
  • Options
    chipg7chipg7 Member Posts: 1,577 Arc User
    While having Romulus and Remus back would be all types of awesome, simply for preventing the massive loss of life, there are problems. Not the least of which are the decline the old Empire was already on and the danger it was to its own people.

It'd be interesting to see where the Tal'Shiar would've went had they not toyed with Iconian tech, but we already know that they were knee-deep in Borg tech well before Hobus. Even if the Iconian factor is removed, Romulus was doomed to fall at some point due to incompetent leadership - and the death toll likely would've been much greater in the not-too-distant future.

That all said, I'm not a fan of going back to muck up the past. Having Romulus and Remus back... yeah, that's tempting. But re-paving the road of history isn't something we should really have the ability to do.
  • Options
    thetaninethetanine Member Posts: 1,367 Arc User

Well, how about this for starters: Instead of Romulus being destroyed, it falls to the Borg. Sela's and Hakeeve's use of Borg tech brings the Queen directly to Romulus. The entire sector then has a full on Borg war on their hands, and Iconians send their servitors in to clean up the mess which lands the whole quadrant in thrall and slavery.
    ​​
    STAR TREK
    lD8xc9e.png
  • Options
    nyx219nyx219 Member Posts: 207 Arc User

Wait, wut? Unless I've grossly misremembered or misunderstood Annorax's final scene in Year of Hell, did the timeline not revert back to where this was not the source of his obsession? Granted, anything could have happened in that timeline after he walked off to spend time with the wife there to instigate being back in that mindset, but this doesn't seem to jive with known events anyway, considering the Krenim seem to make it clear his work was just theory, never put in to use.

I think I hate temporal mechanics as much as my toon does.
  • Options
    gofasternowgofasternow Member Posts: 1,390 Arc User
    thetanine wrote: »

Well, how about this for starters: Instead of Romulus being destroyed, it falls to the Borg. Sela's and Hakeeve's use of Borg tech brings the Queen directly to Romulus. The entire sector then has a full on Borg war on their hands, and Iconians send their servitors in to clean up the mess which lands the whole quadrant in thrall and slavery.
    ​​

In other words - Star Trek: Destiny, but worse.
  • Options
    saurializardsaurializard Member Posts: 4,394 Arc User
    nyx219 wrote: »
    Wait, wut? Unless I've grossly misremembered or misunderstood Annorax's final scene in Year of Hell, did the timeline not revert back to where this was not the source of his obsession? Granted, anything could have happened in that timeline after he walked off to spend time with the wife there to instigate being back in that mindset, but this doesn't seem to jive with known events anyway, considering the Krenim seem to make it clear his work was just theory, never put in to use.

I think I hate temporal mechanics as much as my toon does.

I think he would have been savvy enough to use the same technology he used to keep his wife' hairlock from vanishing to nothingness, hiding his research in a safe, protected from any timeline modification.

This is also why Janeway asked all ships to drop their temporal shields before she caused the temporal incursion that erased the ship, so it wouldn't potentially interfere with the time-reset wave.

Also, to switch to something else, why is Adranna even allowed to come near any potentially dangerous technology again, following the Iconian gateway incident? Iconians/Solanae messed with her brains and no-one even suggests she might, might have remnants of the brainwashing? Plus, she is even more whiny than Koren.

Granted, she's from the same government that handed a PADD to Sela with predictable results, so that may be Romulan subconscious lack of community-preservation.
    #TASforSTO
    Iconian_Trio_sign.jpg?raw=1
  • Options
    captaincelestialcaptaincelestial Member Posts: 1,925 Arc User
    jrq2 wrote: »

It throws the game back to Open Beta.

Star Trek Online: Rebirth is a go! :dizzy:
  • Options
    wardaemon324wardaemon324 Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    Restore Romulus & Remus? That wouldn't just be restoring the world, but changing all history after that event. No spheres, no tech, no new alliance, etc. There would be no new Romulus or Romulus Republic--there would just be the Romulan Star Empire . . .

Adranna may be brilliant. She may be trusted--why, who knows, since she was brainwashed--and allowed to do research. Anyone who wants to let her drive a temporal incursion is just asking for trouble.

I cannot see this working.

To quote multiple prophets, "This will end badly."
  • Options
    theraven2378theraven2378 Member Posts: 5,986 Arc User
    edited August 2015

How hard can it be?
    NMXb2ph.png
      "The meaning of victory is not to merely defeat your enemy but to destroy him, to completely eradicate him from living memory, to leave no remnant of his endeavours, to crush utterly his achievement and remove from all record his every trace of existence. From that defeat no enemy can ever recover. That is the meaning of victory."
      -Lord Commander Solar Macharius
    • Options
      lucho80lucho80 Member Posts: 6,600 Bug Hunter
      Well, the writers of these tales finally wrote one that I didn't stop reading halfway through.
    • Options
      sle1989sle1989 Member Posts: 552 Arc User
      thetanine wrote: »
      ...Instead of Romulus being destroyed, it falls to the Borg. Sela's and Hakeeve's use of Borg tech brings the Queen directly to Romulus. The entire sector then has a full on Borg war on their hands, and Iconians send their servitors in to clean up the mess which lands the whole quadrant in thrall and slavery.[/color]​​
      Something like this seems likely, If Romulus is restored the Star Empire and the Tal Shiar will still be in power, there will be no Romulan Republic (At least, not one with any kind of influence). We know from many points in the game that the Tal Shiar loves to mess around with Borg tech. So the weapon is going to be used and Romulus will be restored, however it will be conquered by the Borg. We will only be swapping the Iconians for the Borg.
      y1arXbh.png