test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

[Letter] Serious discussion on some big issues is long overdue.

1234568»

Comments

• Options
    kerygankerygan Member Posts: 254 Arc User
    while i don't like the direction that STO is going with the design , mindless FAW spamming , and poor PVE (inexisting PVP) endgame ; i do have some nice things to say about the changes in the last two years. Even if they ware bad implemented , i like the R&D system , the specialization system , the T6 ships , traits and new skills. They added more consistance to end game. Before i could lvl up a character and get all i need on it in ... a month , now its a bit harder. Allsow i dont consider STO a pay to win game , i spent just ... 20 k zen in 3 years , i don't play for more than 3h /day, but still i have all i need ... @50 k dps on a sci character , tons of ships , traits like reciprocity and ahod ect, lobi sets and items , epic items. I don't have a lobi ship ... cause i didn't found anything that fits my needs. With some understanding of devs and help from players STO can be revitalized. I actualy quited the game(because it was to easy and got bored) and came back with Delta Rising . And i don't plan to quit anytime soon.
  • Options
    ovrkylovrkyl Member Posts: 309 Arc User
    One simple question everyone. I'm not expecting anyone to post their answers, but please ask yourselves this question, honestly.

If this game wasn't "Star Trek", would you still be playing it?
    This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
  • Options
    jam3s1701jam3s1701 Member Posts: 1,825 Arc User
    edited August 2015
    ovrkyl wrote: »
    One simple question everyone. I'm not expecting anyone to post their answers, but please ask yourselves this question, honestly.

No but then again I'm thinking 50%+ wouldn't even have bothered to start in the first place.

But tbh that's like saying would anyone who wasn't into elfs or what ever play W*W or never winter?!?

The games main appeal ((or was to me)) is the Trek name.

​​
    Post edited by jam3s1701 on
    JtaDmwW.png
  • Options
    kavasekavase Member Posts: 771 Arc User

I'll bite. The "Star Trek" name lured me in, that's been some time now. Still waiting on a reason to play. Besides names, races, and ship design(a very select few of them) there isn't anything Star Trek about it. It's just a space game with ground elements to it.

Overall I think the biggest issues lies in Cryptic's choice in using their own game engine. Granted, at the time, they probably didn't have much of a choice, but the feedback that is almost universal when an ex-employee leaves Cryptic is that it's a "steep learning curve" because it's an in house engine. What ends up happening is that turn over can and has occurred, which then all that learning and knowledge goes with it. They would have probably been much better off using a rather well known game engine, we'd probably see a lot less issues that we are seeing today.

It's sad that STO wasn't really given a fair chance or at least given the chance it deserved. Over 5 years running isn't bad, but the numbers that Cryptic has posted in terms of accounts made etc are dismal given the IP, being F2P, and being accessed world wide(almost). As a result of this mess, any hope of a another online Star Trek game is likely to never be considered anytime soon.
    Retired. I'm now in search for that perfect space anomaly.
  • Options
    evilspokevilspok Member Posts: 51 Arc User
    I know it's a cheap shot, but I think someone has entirely too much time on their hands.

I've played STO almost exclusively for years and I think it's the best F2P sci fi MMO ever made.

If you want to find something outside those constraints and go play that feel free.

As Tom Petty would say "Don't come around here anymore"
  • Options
    coupaholiccoupaholic Member Posts: 2,188 Arc User

I'd probably have a go sure. Even without the Trek paintjob this game would still be quite unique when compared with competing MMOs and even most sci-fi games. I can't think of any others which combine space and ground combat or allows you to have a group of officers and so on.

There is every chance it would be a better game without Trek lore holding them back from a gameplay and design perspective. The catch of course is a better game may not be a more successful one, and the Trek paintjob is relied on for being that hook.​​
  • Options
    kthangkthang Member Posts: 172 Arc User
    evilspok wrote: »
    I know it's a cheap shot, but I think someone has entirely too much time on their hands.

I've played STO almost exclusively for years and I think it's the best F2P sci fi MMO ever made.

If you want to find something outside those constraints and go play that feel free.

Was your post meant as a reply to someone and you forgot to quote, or for the thread in general? If the latter it just do not make sense; have you read the OP or the posts in this thread or was it all TL;DR? Do you not mind the plethora of bugs and issues that just grows as each week passes and never get fixed?

As for the OP good post, and good follow-up posts and replies. I think there are a lot of people just playing STO that never encounters bugs or care about it and/or the current state of the game because they get to dress up as their favourite character, fly their own spaceships and it is Star Trek. On the other side you have those that have played a variety of different games since the beginning of time, plays both missions, queues, stretches all aspects of the game to the limit and then see how deeply flawed it has become.

I've been here since beta. Played like a madman in the beginning, and after a while on/off. More off than on lately. I do not mind so much that they are re-selling the ships with a T6-tag or any money-venture they pull off, what I do mind though is bugs that never gets fixed. Ever. Anyone with some experience in programming and databases will know that bugs that do not get solved, compound.

At some point it will reach critical mass and its not possible to recover and they're left with two choices, either shut down or rewrite. From a business point of view it would then be cheaper and wiser to start developing STO 2 and "gracefully" shut down STO at some point. And the best thing about that, for them, they get to sell it all to us once more.

Are we at critical mass yet? No, but the code are showing signs. Fix one thing, bugs pop up on the other end. Fix that bug, something happens with BOFFs. Not working with nVidia/AMD devs to figure out what happened around summer 2013-drivers that cause CTDs for people on certain space maps and some ground maps, only workaround is to use March/April 2013 drivers. I could go on ad nauseum, just have a look in the bugs section, it's a whack-a-mole and they need to get away from underneath it.
  • Options
    gulberatgulberat Member Posts: 5,505 Arc User

No. I am not a "real" gamer--in fact, I've declined the opportunity to play any other MMO, including SWTOR. Fortunately as I saw the state of the game's coding and lag decline, as well as the successive poor business decisions, I stopped paying.

Christian Gaming Community Fleets--Faith, Fun, and Fellowship! See the website and PM for more. :-)
    Proudly F2P.  Signature image by gulberat. Avatar image by balsavor.deviantart.com.
  • Options
    kyrrokkyrrok Member Posts: 1,352 Arc User
    evilspok wrote: »

When they ignore lots and lots of bugs/lag/rubberbanding/broken ships/broken traits/broken everything under the sun, they generally end up wth entirely too much time on their hands. A cheap shot perhaps, but a well deserved one.
  • Options
    kittyflofykittyflofy Member Posts: 1,004 Arc User

I wont lol, thats for sure. I would stop playing 1-2 years ago. Those two words are probably the only thing that is keeping me loggin in. But i already endured too much of a crappy work. Everybody has a limit lol.
  • Options
    kthangkthang Member Posts: 172 Arc User

Nope.

It would be one of those games we'd sit in the pub facepalming and teasing each other that we actually spent money on. But, it's the only Star Trek space/ground MMO I know of so here we are.
  • Options
    snipey47asnipey47a Member Posts: 485 Media Corps
    Once again I would like to thank all who have kept the discussion at a mature level. There has been some brilliant points mentioned here by many people. Please keep it going. Thank you
  • Options
    peterconnorfirstpeterconnorfirst Member Posts: 6,225 Arc User
    edited August 2015
    Hmm,

for some reason I can’t figure out most of the queues I played were totally lag free just for this weekend, even kasa.

I monitor queues closely and often do a count on the active games running. Over this weekend the general participation on queued maps was as low as ever in my 3,5 years of play time.

When only 10 peeps play ISA the server seems to be better able to handle the power related data flow compared to 50 peeps running ISA.

Interesting times are ahead when the majority of players return from their summers stuff back to sto in autumn.

The hardware supporting this game will probably vaporize.

I really hope cryptic does something here.

Lol nu!

I'd treat it like a 1,20€ smartphone ap and forget about it during next sync.
    Post edited by peterconnorfirst on
    animated.gif
    Looking for a fun PvE fleet? Join us at Omega Combat Division today.
    felisean wrote: »
    teamwork to reach a goal is awesome and highly appreciated
  • Options
    shpoksshpoks Member Posts: 6,967 Arc User

Believe it or not, I have actually thought a lot about this myself. :)
    I think I'd have a much easier time and much more fun playing a Cryptic home made space sci-fi based game built on the STO skeleton. Yeah, I'm here for the Star Trek. Yeah, I came and found this game because of Star Trek. However if tomorrow Cryptic announces that the liscencing arrangement with CBS expires and they won't be renewing it, but instead they'll release a new home based space sci-fi game very similar to this, I'd probably give it a shot and end up playing it. I think I'd be able to have more fun because of not having the mental restraints from actual Star Trek, so when Cryptic makes or writes something that makes no sense within Star Trek I wouldn't be annoyed or dissapointed so much because it would be a new thing, a clean slate and they can take it wherever they want/need to. So from that perspective, I may be playing such a game and even enjoying it more. All of this, ofcourse, assuming that such a new game would be better taken care of and not have the destructive stability issues STO has been having for the past 10 months (longer for some, but since DR it's really spreaded), which unfortunately after being here and after looking at NW and the feedback their comminity is giving, I don't have such high hopes of. I'd still give it a spin, though.
    HQroeLu.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    Hmm,

for some reason I can’t figure out most of the queues I played were totally lag free just for this weekend, even kasa.

I monitor queues closely and often do a count on the active games running. Over this weekend the general participation on queued maps was as low as ever in my 3,5 years of play time.

When only 10 peeps play ISA the server seems to be better able to handle the power related data flow compared to 50 peeps running ISA.

Interesting times are ahead when the majority of players return from their summers stuff back to sto in autumn.

The hardware supporting this game will probably vaporize.

I really hope cryptic does something here.

Lol nu!

I'd treat it like a 1,20€ smartphone ap and forget about it during next sync.

You cant have 50 guys playing ISA, that for a start, unless you are talking about a private instance (dont have a clue what is the limit there) and thats the point of the Instances, to split over population (well unless you telling me that there is a bug about that as well). and no. Even with 10 guys things can star lagging as hell. Depends on several factors. I also sometimes dont notice lag at all, just a bit rubberbanding, but the same day at other time frames i experience hyper mega lagging in the same instances with the same ammount of people. The problem is, lag is becoming a regular experience, and it is not acceptable. I still dont have a clue how people can enjoy the undine battlezone, tholian ras, and other zones. My guess is, they know lag will never go away so we better get used to it or we just go away. We dont have more options.
  • Options
    gameversemangameverseman Member Posts: 1,110 Arc User

Probably not..... that should say something to the devs but... *sigh* nope.
    signature.png
  • Options
    phalanx01phalanx01 Member Posts: 360 Arc User

Nope, neither would anyone else. If it was something like "Space Online", the game would have died 4 years ago already, maybe even close after it's release because it was a horrible game back then. Something has to be done quickly and I'm sorry to say but Cryptic has proven time and again they're simply not capable of dealing with a project like Star Trek. It might be time to pull the plug and assign the IP to another studio or even go back to the popular era of the Star Trek IP like we had with Elite Force, Bridge Commander, Armada, etc.
  • Options
    porchsongporchsong Member Posts: 262 Arc User
    edited August 2015
    Great Post!!! -- concise and valid. But other issues need to be addressed as well:

Terradome: Removed January 2014

"Season 8 Dev Blog #37 Wrote:
    However, we felt that the Undine in Star Trek Online were not on par with the Borg in terms of their toughness and challenge rating – so we’ve decided to go back and make them a little bit smarter, a little bit faster, and a little bit tougher."

They were going to revamp and re-release. One year and eight months later. . . . [crickets chirping]. . . .[tumbleweeds rolling]. . . . .NOTHING!!!!

How is this possible? Almost 1.8 years later, not a damn thing.

No Win Scenario: Removed January 2015

Removed so they could change it and make it "better and more challenging." Or something like that. Again, not a single word since they made it go away. NOT ONE WORD! They took the absolute best end game content and removed it--to never be scene again. Entire channels were set up (with 1000+ members) for this single mission. Do you really think we will ever see this mission again? Their first revamp was a laughing joke--all they did was move a hit point slider. So, to quell the laughing, they removed it.

Cryptic, your top players in the game are frustrated and are pleading/screaming at you to fix this game. Yet, all we are met with is SILENCE. Your player base is leaving. The frustration is becoming overwhelming. And yet all you guys do is simply release new content that brings a whole new host of "issues" to fix.

Stop releasing content and fix your game before it is too late. PLEASE.......

• Options
    viox2kviox2k Member Posts: 36 Arc User
    kittyflofy wrote: »

You cant have 50 guys playing ISA,

"50" considering mmo standards is nothing

• Options
    edited August 2015
    viox2k wrote: »
    kittyflofy wrote: »

You cant have 50 guys playing ISA,

"50" considering mmo standards is nothing

In other mmorpgs i would agree. .. in STO, it is a fun killer. Not to mention, the instance system is there for something.

Anyways, i am thinking i will take a rest for a big while. Just done an undine battlezone run and i just logged off before i finished. What a disgusting and fun-killer experience. We were about 10 guys there, and we ended with just 3 of us. Everybody left.. .

Im really tired of playing a game trying to get fun (that is the point, isnt it?) and getting the opposite all the time everywhere. Dunno, it is already ridiculous to say the least.

• Options
    snipey47asnipey47a Member Posts: 485 Media Corps
    To all who are keeping an eye on this thread,

I was on tribble earlier and have noticed that Cryptic have made changes to the Plasma Explosion Embassy Consoles. Cryptic (probably) became aware about the issues with these consoles through various sources which may have included this video I made some time ago:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khu_NQQH7c0

Since then we have found out that the behavior that these consoles have is only working as intended with Beam Fire at Will. They are not crit'ing for anything else. If you would like to know what Cryptic has done, please read my post (not as long as this one lol) in the tribble feedback section and if you agree please voice your concern.

perfectworld.vanillaforums.com/discussion/1198746/plasma-explosion-embassy-consoles-bfaw-crits#latest
  • Options
    pwlaughingtrendypwlaughingtrendy Member Posts: 2,966 Arc User
    Yep. Now the conversation has devolved into calling people "white-knight's" and ad hominem's galore. This isn't so much a discussion as it is just people flaming each other for differing opinions. Closing this.
This discussion has been closed.