test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

What gender do you make your characters?

Comments

• Options
    sennahcheribsennahcherib Member Posts: 2,823 Arc User
    I'm a guy and most/all of my toons are female.
    first reply. because women are the future of mankind (currently and in the future)
  • Options
    ovrkylovrkyl Member Posts: 309 Arc User
    I'm a guy and my toons are a mixture of male and female.
    first reply. because women are the future of mankind (currently and in the future)
    ...and that's why everyone's referred to as "Sir" at Starfleet? o.O
    This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
  • Options
    admiraldunwalladmiraldunwall Member Posts: 57 Arc User
    I tend to find games have better lead characters when you have a choice (ala Mass Effect series) and that has somewhat influenced me to make a few female characters. But I main a Male Catian and a Female Joined Trill. So I like a good mix.
    tumblr_n8bewt4QjC1qm2fu4o2_r1_400.gif
    "Polls are so annoying, let's make a poll to see who agrees!"
  • Options
    guljarolguljarol Member Posts: 979 Arc User
    I'm a girl and my toons are a mixture of male and female.
    I have a mix. My three main toons, which I play regularly, are two men and one woman. Another semi-regular is a woman too. ​​
  • Options
    supergirl1611supergirl1611 Member Posts: 809 Arc User
    you spend so much time on ground staring at the back of you're character so why not play as a female toon in a short TOS short skirt and chase some tail around the map with a nice bit of leg not lag thrown in for good measure :)
  • Options
    xanthraelxanthrael Member Posts: 19 Arc User
    Currently, I have two female characters and one male; the next character I make will almost definitely be a bloke. I try to make my female characters look as rugged and tomboyish as possible so they don't end up as sex objects.
    I am a radical feminist, and as such have no fear of being controversial. Delta Rising is the best expansion ever and I love it.
  • Options
    alexsanderitaalexsanderita Member Posts: 214 Arc User
    bloodyriz wrote: »
    I have one that is very much me, the others are all women because that is the form I much prefer to see while I play.

Same for me.

I still dream from time to time about using the Gateway to doff off-game in spare minutes as we were told
  • Options
    toivatoiva Member Posts: 3,276 Arc User
    If I'm not mistaken it should be 11 male and 10 female chars now. Ideally they'd be equal numbers, but other balancing between factions and careers forced me to have an odd number of chars...
    TOIVA, Toi Vaxx, Toia Vix, Toveg, T'vritha, To Vrax: Bring in the Allegiance class.
    Toi'Va, Ti'vath, Toivia, Ty'Vris, Tia Vex, Toi'Virth: Add Tier 6 KDF Carrier and Raider.
    Tae'Va, T'Vaya, To'Var, Tevra, T'Vira, To'Vrak: Give us Asylums for Romulans.

Don't make ARC mandatory! Keep it optional only!
  • Options
    valenn1valenn1 Member Posts: 842 Arc User
    When making a new character, I decide the gender by flipping a coin. :D
    I use a dice :)
    Beta, LTA, CE, Multiple preorder Versions, all Addon Packs except AoY, nearly all KDF/Rom and ~50% of all Fedships, over 25 LockboxShips, Endurer of Atari's "Year of Hell", but...
    unfortunately:

NOT LOYAL ENOUGH!!!
  • Options
    hyplhypl Member Posts: 3,719 Arc User
    My main characters in any game are usually female. It's been like this since the day I discovered people actually get really upset if you don't play a character that matches your gender in real life.

I LOVE those people. And to show my appreciation, I play female characters. :p
  • Options
    sovereign010sovereign010 Member Posts: 636 Arc User
    Fascinating responses so far, based on the feedback I've assembled a more detailed poll that hopefully won't intimidate users with the increased number of options. As for female toons getting hit on, I've only had that happen once. Might have something to do with having a very male-sounding username!
  • Options
    kianazerokianazero Member Posts: 247 Arc User
    I'm a guy, and I make characters. If I'm making one character a sister to one of my characters, it wouldn't make much sense to make that toon a guy. My most played character is a redheaded 'southern belle' type of lady with a love of weapons of all kinds. She wouldn't work nearly as well as a guy. I've described her as Starfleet's own Excellen Browning, and that kind of teasing wouldn't work as a guy.
  • Options
    kittyflofykittyflofy Member Posts: 1,004 Arc User
    I hope we lose the ability to create polls entirely. Im so sick of it. The forum is plagued right now with useless and non sense polls.
  • Options
    sovereign010sovereign010 Member Posts: 636 Arc User
    I'm sure once the long-standing questions have been answered it'll die down- or alternatively sticky the best ones so that there's no need to create repeats.
  • Options
    jkersjkers Member Posts: 75 Arc User
    I have both male and female toons..my mains are male, but I created female toons for my wife..she plays them when she can, but .....sometimes her work schedule is such that she can't play that often...so I play them for her. They are just characters in a game...no harm no foul!!

• Options
    storulesstorules Member Posts: 3,253 Arc User
    Duplicate poll :)
    tumblr_ncbngkt24X1ry46hlo1_400.gif
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 Arc User
    storules wrote: »
    Duplicate poll :)

Actually the other one's the duplicate. This is the original.
  • Options
    jaguarskxjaguarskx Member Posts: 5,945 Arc User
    edited July 2015
    I flip a coin.

So far I have 4 male and 5 female captains. I think I will stop there. I don't have the time to give them all attention and STO will be taking a backseat when Fallout 4 is released.

Results of my coin flips:

Engineering Captains = 2
    - Male Fed (Primary Captain)
    - Male KDF

Science Captains = 3
    - Female Fed
    - Female KDF
    - Female Romulan (Primary Captain)

Tactical Captains = 4
    - Female Fed
    - Female KDF (Primary Captain)
    - Male KDF
    - Male Romulan

Post edited by jaguarskx on
  • Options
    eldarion79eldarion79 Member Posts: 1,679 Arc User
    I am majority male, but I do have some female characters to change it up.
  • Options
    stonewbiestonewbie Member Posts: 1,454 Arc User
    I'm a male and i'll roll almost entirely female toons in whatever game i play. That is unless the animations are really good for male classes IE male belf holy paly, male orc hunter, male tauren warrior and so on. When i played Diablo 2 back in the day i didnt really have a choice in what gender i could be. If i rolled a sorcerer or assassin i had to play a female. So because of that i never bothered to identify with my character. I dont think i'm him, he is me, we are one or whatever. Its a bunch of pixels, that hold pixelated weapons that will swing or shoot those pixelated weapons when i push buttons on my mouse and keyboard.

Now i know people who cant understand why anyone would want to play a gender that is the opposite of what they are IRL. I've also seen people try to analyze someones state of mind as to why they would play an opposite gender character. I'll see stuff like maybe they are stuck in the closet, maybe they are a cross dresser and they dont know it, maybe they are this and that and its some kind of sexually deviant behavior. But for me, my reason for rolling female toons is simply because i can. I dont even try to say stuff like "if i'm gonna be looking at my toons backside all day it might as well be pretty". One thing that i wish people would realize though is that MMOs arent dating services. Hell i didnt even need anyone to tell me the alternate definition of MMORPG. I just figured that the person playing the other characters could be a man or woman, a boy or a girl. And the only way to know is to ask or better yet wait until i hear them on voice comms.
  • Options
    worffan101worffan101 Member Posts: 9,518 Arc User
    I just roll whatever. Though, when I'm playing a single-player PC game like Mass Effect, I generally go female because that way I get to laugh at occasional sexists while kicking their rears.

Plus, I listened to MaleShep's voice and was like, "ew, no."
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 Arc User
    worffan101 wrote: »
    I just roll whatever. Though, when I'm playing a single-player PC game like Mass Effect, I generally go female because that way I get to laugh at occasional sexists while kicking their rears.

Yeah, agree with that. Jennifer Hale's a way more talented voice actor than Mark Meer (granted, she's got more experience). Though Meer gets better at it as the trilogy goes on.
  • Options
    worffan101worffan101 Member Posts: 9,518 Arc User
    worffan101 wrote: »

Yeah, agree with that. Jennifer Hale's a way more talented voice actor than Mark Meer (granted, she's got more experience). Though Meer gets better at it as the trilogy goes on.

My reasoning actually had more to do with "FemShep sounds like Revan's friend, confidant, and mentor. MaleShep sounds like the Exposition Fairy who got killed in the tutorial." I didn't want to be Redshirted. :P
  • Options
    storulesstorules Member Posts: 3,253 Arc User
    kittyflofy wrote: »
    I hope we lose the ability to create polls entirely. Im so sick of it. The forum is plagued right now with useless and non sense polls.

I LOVE polls :)
    tumblr_ncbngkt24X1ry46hlo1_400.gif
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    storules wrote: »
    kittyflofy wrote: »

I LOVE polls :)
    It's not much different than the old way where the OP would ask people what their opinion of something was.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    kristaswiftkristaswift Member Posts: 306 Arc User

guess its a paradox...women need men and vice versa. Otherwise none of us would be here :p
  • Options
    jodarkriderjodarkrider Member Posts: 2,097 Arc User
    Gender is irrelevant. :p:p:p
    [10:20] Your Lunge deals 4798 (2580) Physical Damage(Critical) to Tosk of Borg.

Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator
    "bIghojchugh DaneH, Dumev pagh. bIghojqangbe'chugh, DuQaHlaH pagh."
    "Learn lots. Don't judge. Laugh for no reason. Be nice. Seek happiness." ~Day[9] 
    "Your fun isn't wrong." ~LaughingTrendy

Find me on Twitterverse - @jodarkrider

• Options
    foxrockssocksfoxrockssocks Member Posts: 2,482 Arc User
    edited July 2015
    gulberat wrote: »
    gulberat wrote: »
    walligig wrote: »
    When I played DC Universe Online one of my mains were female. Then during some mission a guy in my group had his VC on and hit on me mistakenly thinking I was a girl so I decided I would never main a girl again.

And that is case in point on why I doubt this poll will get honest answers being public. Imagine what a woman, or anyone who thinks they could be mistaken for a woman because of their response, might feel about the idea of having their answer publicly identified. The hard fact is that women are treated VERY differently than men online, and especially in gaming, and would consider security in a way that male respondents might not feel they had to.

obscured-sex-while-gaming-chart.JPG

http://blog.pricecharting.com/2012/09/emilyami-sexism-in-video-games-study.html

Additional reading:
    http://www.polygon.com/2014/7/22/5926193/women-gaming-harassment

Exactly...thank you for providing the statistics. I would recommend the OP either adjust the poll settings or repost, to get an accurate sample. Other than a few PWE/Cryptic employees, who can take aggressive measures to protect themselves, no one is going to make themselves a target.

One need only look at incidents like you describe, not to mention the extreme hypersexualization of female toons (mostly created by men) in game, to see why gaming is a female-unfriendly environment. And frankly, even the costumes put in game show that there is an underlying bias that at least some of this behavior is treated as if it were OK. I don't think it's necessarily intentional because I can't imagine Trendy or ZeroniusRex or anyone condoning harassment, but when that's what's popular and that's what sells, what message would one expect female gamers to get, and male gamers to get about the kind of interaction it's OK to have with suspected women? :(

This needs to change, IMO. NOT just on Star Trek: Online, but lots of games. Personally, I would remove the super-sexual costume options. There is no reason one should be able to strip a female toon practically naked, especially when aside from on Risa, only Orion males (somewhat) show up that way unless you glitch the tailor to make the Risa outfit show up in other zones.

Of course, the number 1 thing to do is strict moderation and GM'ing. I don't think it's a matter of "male privilege" like the article says, but simply a deficit in a lot of people's sense of "be a decent human being." That's all that needs to be addressed.

Ugh. Orions are the best race in the game, not because they are green or sexy aliens, but because they have near equality in their costume options between males/females. There is absolutely nothing wrong, sexist, or otherwise improper about "hypersexualized" female characters if the males also get that treatment, which is something often overlooked and forgotten.

This is an issue I take with these arguments. The issue isn't sexualization, it is inequality. If women are dressed all in skimpy outfits/armor/costumes, then the men should be able to as well. What you actually end up saying in a round about and I'm sure unintentional way when you say females shouldn't be able to wear sexy outfits (in game or otherwise), is that females should dress in the way you deem appropriate, not have their own choice in what to wear.

That is a greater and deeper issue than most think about because there are underlying cultural attitudes about women based on what they wear that are completely sexist. Is she dressed skimpy? Must be a sl** or wants attention or is inviting harassment. Bull****. This is what needs to change, to stop linking what a female is wearing to any judgement on her character or intentions. Males generally don't have this problem at all.

I'm sure you're aware most women like to look good in a swimsuit, and if they can feel confident in a string bikini many would love to wear it over a one piece, given the option. It isn't for every woman, but the option is important. Women do wear skimpy IRL, of their own choice, for many different reasons. Likewise, women do dress their character skimpy in games. If men want to do the same, that is perfectly fine.

What should be addressed isn't what can be worn but the attitudes of people.
  • Options
    SeschatSeschat Member Posts: 24 Arc User
    edited July 2015
    In STO and other graphically driven MMOs, most of my characters are female, for the stock "whose backside do I want to stare at for hours on end?" argument. (Most of my Doffs end up behind the camera anyway).

In pen and paper role play games, I've played men, women, children, cats, rabbits, plants, rocks, sentient AI software packages, an angry shade of blue, and the sentient third gender of an alien species that carries the males and females around as symbiotes. I don't worry to much about what I'm role-playing, and I certainly don't care what other people are playing. Respect the player, and whatever gender they're presenting, just like in real life.

Unless they're arseholes. Then treat them as such.
    --
    I'm ME again, having been revanantmorituri during the era between forumpocalypses.
    BatRon 11 ~~~ ~~~ ~~~ Millennium Triumphant ~~~ ~~~ ~~~ Emerald Armada
    Champions Online closed Beta tester. Star Trek Online closed Beta tester.
  • Options
    gulberatgulberat Member Posts: 5,505 Arc User
    Ugh. Orions are the best race in the game, not because they are green or sexy aliens, but because they have near equality in their costume options between males/females. There is absolutely nothing wrong, sexist, or otherwise improper about "hypersexualized" female characters if the males also get that treatment, which is something often overlooked and forgotten.

This is an issue I take with these arguments. The issue isn't sexualization, it is inequality. If women are dressed all in skimpy outfits/armor/costumes, then the men should be able to as well. What you actually end up saying in a round about and I'm sure unintentional way when you say females shouldn't be able to wear sexy outfits (in game or otherwise), is that females should dress in the way you deem appropriate, not have their own choice in what to wear.

That is a greater and deeper issue than most think about because there are underlying cultural attitudes about women based on what they wear that are completely sexist. Is she dressed skimpy? Must be a sl** or wants attention or is inviting harassment. Bull****. This is what needs to change, to stop linking what a female is wearing to any judgement on her character or intentions. Males generally don't have this problem at all.

I'm sure you're aware most women like to look good in a swimsuit, and if they can feel confident in a string bikini many would love to wear it over a one piece, given the option. It isn't for every woman, but the option is important. Women do wear skimpy IRL, of their own choice, for many different reasons. Likewise, women do dress their character skimpy in games. If men want to do the same, that is perfectly fine.

What should be addressed isn't what can be worn but the attitudes of people.

You could go the other way and that would be equal, yes. I actually don't disagree with you that that is a possible solution.

That said, the reason I favor the removal option over making a lot more skimpier options for men is that it is not smart to dress like that in combat. It's the whole unrealistic bikini armor thing. That is NOT going to stop an energy weapon, protect you against chemical or biological agents, and don't even think about stopping grenade shrapnel or other explosive ordnance. Men's options tend to be at least closer to combat-realistic...heck, even on the show this is true, whereas women tend to be portrayed in a FAR more unrealistic manner, strictly for exploitation.

(Off topic, that's why I actually give Enterprise the award for best costumes. Whether or not you LIKE the flight suits, that is based on an actual uniform worn by both sexes on actual spaceflights. Total realism.)

Christian Gaming Community Fleets--Faith, Fun, and Fellowship! See the website and PM for more. :-)
    Proudly F2P.  Signature image by gulberat. Avatar image by balsavor.deviantart.com.