test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

What gender do you make your characters?

sovereign010sovereign010 Member Posts: 641 Arc User
This something I've been wanting to find out since the very start, so here goes. And to see whether the user base is biased towards one side or the other

What gender do you make your characters? 162 votes

I'm a guy and most/all of my toons are female.
19%
themartianadmiralkirkzeven2004majosea61sysil84kitsunesnoutbloodyrizlexusk19mwgacy1captiannemo117startrek1234567rygelx16som3one1thay8472ussdelphin2evilmark444sennahcheribalexsanderitaarthas242syrdeth 32 votes
I'm a guy and most/all of my toons are male.
25%
nightkenprimar13warpetpteal1979coupaholicrazartrek1rakhohl#4803outerdemonrepetitiveepicmhall85azrael605shadowwraith77anonymousplaguequepanzulfikaralivoporaksolardynamoqqafgqegqe4agthickmcrunfastrakija879 41 votes
I'm a guy and my toons are a mixture of male and female.
47%
ikonn#1068yaltavarfusteriusbernatkshpoksstartrek1warsworffan101orangeitismidniteshadow7oldravenman3025gavinrunebladecorethlspyralpegacyontoivanynik[Deleted User]hawku001xmustrumridcully0smokeybacon90phenomenaut01 77 votes
I'm a girl and most/all of my toons are female.
5%
babette7protogothvivenneanthonyjkbennett2008tolmariusscarlingkirstieinmosaic06daggoneit77 9 votes
I'm a girl and most/all of my toons are male.
0%
iyx#3242 1 vote
I'm a girl and my toons are a mixture of male and female.
1%
guljarolbubblegirl2015 2 votes

Comments

• jam3s1701jam3s1701 Member Posts: 1,825 Arc User
    I have a mixture but normally go for a guy tbh feels strange playing a girl lol when im a man​​
    JtaDmwW.png
  • quepanquepan Member Posts: 540 Arc User
    in team based games , MMOS, fps and the like and ones that use a voice chat system , i find that its easier to go male for conversations and such I also tend to make all my characters in these games to have a common naming convention for ease as well , in single player RPGs i tend mix it up .
  • rakija879rakija879 Member Posts: 646 Arc User
    Gorn and Tellarite female my favorites.
  • sirmaydaysirmayday Member Posts: 535 Arc User
    Strictly speaking, most of my toons are male (75%), but where I have only the four free toons, it seemed misleading to say 'most/all' are male; I made my Delta Recruit female just as a change of pace. I think, on some level, I expected minor gender-based variations like one might find in a Western-style single-player RPG from BioWare or Bethesda, but of course nothing of the sort materialized.
  • fcaptkmtonfcaptkmton Member Posts: 99 Arc User
    If Kenny from South Park can play as a girl, so can you.
  • sovereign010sovereign010 Member Posts: 641 Arc User
    For me, all of my toons are female and modelled on what my ideal woman would be: tall, hourglass, brunette. When I'm doing a ground mission, it's a female form I want to be looking at :D

At the same time, all of them are very different from each other, not least because every single one of them belongs to a different race.
  • solardynamosolardynamo Member Posts: 44 Arc User
    I know many guys say they want to look at female toons and okay, I have my crew for that. For me I like immersion and that's easier with a male character (5 here and 60 something in Champions). I know it makes me odd in this day and age, but it is what it is.
  • kodachikunokodachikuno Member Posts: 6,020 Arc User1
    STO is an aberration for me, in most mmo I play about 60% female, for the usual reason of not wanting to stare at a guy's back end for hours on end while I play. STO gives me my away team to enjoy female characters so I only have 1 female here, used to have a second but I deleted her a while ago.
    tumblr_mr1jc2hq2T1rzu2xzo1_400.gif
    tacofangs wrote: »
    STO isn't canon, and neither are any of the books.
  • gulberatgulberat Member Posts: 5,505 Arc User
    I think that by doing a public poll, you will not get an accurate sample. I don't think everyone would want to answer that honestly knowing that it might either a) reveal personal information about them, or b) make them feel they might be judged somehow according to their answer. Perhaps if it were set private, you'd get the most accurate response.

Christian Gaming Community Fleets--Faith, Fun, and Fellowship! See the website and PM for more. :-)
    Proudly F2P.  Signature image by gulberat. Avatar image by balsavor.deviantart.com.
  • gavinrunebladegavinruneblade Member Posts: 3,894 Arc User
    My main account has 8 males and 6 females, my second has 4 females 2 males.
  • walligigwalligig Member Posts: 308 Arc User
    edited July 2015
    I think my account is half and half. Generally the characters I play the most and my mains are male. I don't play my female characters that much and when I do its usually just dilithium or EC grinding.

When I played DC Universe Online one of my mains were female. Then during some mission a guy in my group had his VC on and hit on me mistakenly thinking I was a girl so I decided I would never main a girl again.
    sstosig2.png
    edited July 2015
    walligig wrote: »
    When I played DC Universe Online one of my mains were female. Then during some mission a guy in my group had his VC on and hit on me mistakenly thinking I was a girl so I decided I would never main a girl again.

And that is case in point on why I doubt this poll will get honest answers being public. Imagine what a woman, or anyone who thinks they could be mistaken for a woman because of their response, might feel about the idea of having their answer publicly identified. The hard fact is that women are treated VERY differently than men online, and especially in gaming, and would consider security in a way that male respondents might not feel they had to.

Christian Gaming Community Fleets--Faith, Fun, and Fellowship! See the website and PM for more. :-)
    Proudly F2P.  Signature image by gulberat. Avatar image by balsavor.deviantart.com.
  • kjwashingtonkjwashington Member Posts: 2,529 Arc User
    When making a new character, I decide the gender by flipping a coin. :D
    FaW%20meme_zpsbkzfjonz.jpg
    Support 90 degree arc limitation on BFaW! Save our ships from looking like flying disco balls of dumb!
  • bloodyrizbloodyriz Member Posts: 1,756 Arc User
    I have one that is very much me, that is Riz (male) the others are all women because that is the form I much prefer to see while I play.
    signature.png
    We come in peace, SHOOT TO KILL!
  • jexsamxjexsamx Member Posts: 2,803 Arc User
    I'm male and have an approximately 2:1 ratio of female to male characters. Women, even polygonal ones, are nicer to look at, but having a variety of different dolls to play with is much more fun than a collection of all bridge bunnies.
  • cidjackcidjack Member Posts: 2,017 Arc User
    I enjoy a mix, As I like to setup my toons with backgrounds, not dil farmers, I enjoy having to come up with stories for them.
    Armada: Multiplying fleet projects in need of dilithium by 13."
    95bced8038c91ec6f880d510e6fd302f366a776c4c5761e5f7931d491667a45e.jpgvia Imgflip Meme Generator
  • walligigwalligig Member Posts: 308 Arc User
    bloodyriz wrote: »
    I have one that is very much me, that is Riz (male) the others are all women because that is the form I much prefer to see while I play.
    I did that too. For my main character I made myself. I don't usually do that in these types of games but for Startrek it just seem to make sense.

sstosig2.png
  • ghostmatterghostmatter Member Posts: 136 Arc User
    I'm a man and all but two of my characters are male. One of the women I play as non-binary gender as she is a joined Trill. The other, I don't really play.
  • narthaisnarthais Member Posts: 452 Arc User

My account probably has a higher ratio of females to males and the ones i play regularly are female. As my screen name in game is rather gender neutral my female character get hit on regularly if i spent too much time just standing around the social zones. I find it amusing myself, so I troll those that try it on me since most of them just do it based on my characters appearance. Frankly no one should have to put up with that in a game or in real life so i consider those that try it fair game.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 Arc User
    ... and I have no d*mn clue why.
  • oldravenman3025oldravenman3025 Member Posts: 1,892 Arc User
    I have a mix of both. I figured, why not?
  • gavinrunebladegavinruneblade Member Posts: 3,894 Arc User
    edited July 2015
    gulberat wrote: »

And that is case in point on why I doubt this poll will get honest answers being public. Imagine what a woman, or anyone who thinks they could be mistaken for a woman because of their response, might feel about the idea of having their answer publicly identified. The hard fact is that women are treated VERY differently than men online, and especially in gaming, and would consider security in a way that male respondents might not feel they had to.

obscured-sex-while-gaming-chart.JPG

http://blog.pricecharting.com/2012/09/emilyami-sexism-in-video-games-study.html

Additional reading:
    http://www.polygon.com/2014/7/22/5926193/women-gaming-harassment
    edited July 2015
    gulberat wrote: »

obscured-sex-while-gaming-chart.JPG

http://blog.pricecharting.com/2012/09/emilyami-sexism-in-video-games-study.html

Additional reading:
    http://www.polygon.com/2014/7/22/5926193/women-gaming-harassment

Exactly...thank you for providing the statistics. I would recommend the OP either adjust the poll settings or repost, to get an accurate sample. Other than a few PWE/Cryptic employees, who can take aggressive measures to protect themselves, no one is going to make themselves a target.

One need only look at incidents like you describe, not to mention the extreme hypersexualization of female toons (mostly created by men) in game, to see why gaming is a female-unfriendly environment. And frankly, even the costumes put in game show that there is an underlying bias that at least some of this behavior is treated as if it were OK. I don't think it's necessarily intentional because I can't imagine Trendy or ZeroniusRex or anyone condoning harassment, but when that's what's popular and that's what sells, what message would one expect female gamers to get, and male gamers to get about the kind of interaction it's OK to have with suspected women? :(

This needs to change, IMO. NOT just on Star Trek: Online, but lots of games. Personally, I would remove the super-sexual costume options. There is no reason one should be able to strip a female toon practically naked, especially when aside from on Risa, only Orion males (somewhat) show up that way unless you glitch the tailor to make the Risa outfit show up in other zones.

Of course, the number 1 thing to do is strict moderation and GM'ing. I don't think it's a matter of "male privilege" like the article says, but simply a deficit in a lot of people's sense of "be a decent human being." That's all that needs to be addressed.

• ikonn#1068 ikonn Member Posts: 1,450 Arc User
    I like to play both male and female characters just to have variety.
    -AoP- Warrior's Blood (KDF Armada) / -AoP- Qu' raD qulbo'Degh / -AoP- Project Phoenix
  • kodachikunokodachikuno Member Posts: 6,020 Arc User1

hell playing a girl in DCUO and some other mmo is a great way to get dumb-posteriors to buy you cash shop items :p
    tumblr_mr1jc2hq2T1rzu2xzo1_400.gif
    tacofangs wrote: »
    STO isn't canon, and neither are any of the books.
  • ovrkylovrkyl Member Posts: 309 Arc User
    It depends on the nature of the character, the "theme" or whatever, especially if it's more a RP toon. But, honestly, as a guy I'd rather be stuck looking at a girl's...back than a guy's while I'm playing.
    This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
  • iyx#3242 iyx Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    I'm a girl and most/all of my toons are male.
    Well, KDF has lack of females, so I haven't much choise.

Nausicaan females, pleeease we need them... Just add the body, head already perfect.
    My universal translator works bad.
  • angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    This is just a poll to find out how many women play STO 604c7e0928dd80af9b57d388bb4bfdd1.gif

[x] I'm a Targ and I have characters of multiple genders, ethnicities, factions and backgrounds.
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    Exactly half-and-half.
    1 Fed Alien male, 1 KDF Alien male, 1 ROM Reman male. Then my Delta Recruits- 1 Fed Andorian female, 1 KDF Klingon female (my new main), and 1 ROM Romulan female.
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • sennahcheribsennahcherib Member Posts: 2,823 Arc User
    first reply. because women are the future of mankind (currently and in the future)