What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

What is your favorite ST series?

Comments

• Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    DS9
    Where were all you DS9 fans when it came to Cryptic's poll on what to expand on?

We could have been in the middile of the Gamma Quadrant dealing with Jem'Hadar, changlings, Vorta and Karemma now!
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    nikephorusnikephorus Member Posts: 2,744 Arc User
    TNG
    I'm actually surprised that ds9 is so popular.
    Tza0PEl.png
  • Options
    protogothprotogoth Member Posts: 2,369 Arc User
    TOS
    TOS, for so many reasons. DS9 comes in second, also for many reasons. I rate the others as more or less tied for third place.
  • Options
    sovereign47sovereign47 Member Posts: 399 Arc User
    DS9
    While I like all the shows, DS9 is the best by far as it has excellent characters, large scale fleet battles and a great storyline with decent ending.
    FED ENG: FA Sirius Verax (USS Leviathan) , FED TAC (Delta): FA Adria Tyllex (USS Thunderblade) , ROM TAC: ADM Kill'ina (IRW Imperix Thrai) , KLING ENG (Delta): LT. GEN Ghol'Vaq Martok (IKS Qeh'Ral II) - 44th Fleet member
    SZ1RgUL.jpg
    SUPPORTING PLAYABLE CARDASSIAN AND DOMINION FACTIONS!
  • Options
    sennahcheribsennahcherib Member Posts: 2,823 Arc User
    DS9
    my fav is DS9, the characters in this tv show were well written. i like also Enterprise, because it was more modern. TNG is in my opinion, kitsch and sickly
  • Options
    dgdolphdgdolph Member Posts: 592 Arc User
    edited July 2015
    ENT
    ENT (S3&4!!!) > DS9 > TNG > VOY > TOS

Btw, ENT was the one I liked the least when I first watched it. I quit the show after a couple of episodes cuz I felt it was that bad. Some years later I was bored and gave it another chance. After finally watching all episodes in correct order, I think it was the best show in almost all aspects closely followed by DS9.
  • Options
    zarato4218zarato4218 Member Posts: 403 Arc User
    edited July 2015
    VOY
    I know I'm in the minority, but I always liked Voyager. Some characters were a bit annoying, but the whole "solo journey through the unknown" felt like the truest form of Starfleet's exploration goal. (Not that the crew actually wanted to be doing that much exploring. o:) ) Of course DS9 is a close second and when it comes down to it I love all the series in their own way.
    As Zephram Cochrane once said, "That'll do, pig. That'll do." - April 1st 2015. o:)
  • Options
    crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,113 Arc User
    TOS
    Hmmm yeah, TNG had a bunch of dumb episodes that had little purpose to them. Oooh look it's a spatial anomaly.... Ooh look random disaster!

There are several REALLY good episodes, but.... I think about half are dumb episodes.
    don't forget the number of 'SAVE US WONDER BOY WESLEY!!' episodes -.-

Or (after 40 minutes of plot complications and other aborted attempts to solve a problem):

Data/Geordi/et. al. says: "Captain, if we reconfigure the main deflector to emit <insert magic problem solving particle/energy here>, it may correct the <insert dire situation/problem here>."

in the last 5 minutes of a TNG episode.
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
  • Options
    themetalstickmanthemetalstickman Member Posts: 1,010 Arc User
    TNG
    TNG was objectively not that great of a show, I would have to say that DS9 was superior in terms of story and writing. But the reason that I voted for TNG as my favorite was mainly Picard, Worf, and Data. A few other characters had their moments (e.g. Riker, B. Crusher, La Forge), some were just awful (Wesley, Yar), but Picard, Data, and especially Worf hold a dear place in my heart.
    Og12TbC.jpg

Your father was captain of a starship for twelve minutes. He saved 800 lives, including your mother's, and yours.

I dare you to do better.
  • Options
    virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    TOS
    don't forget the number of 'SAVE US WONDER BOY WESLEY!!' episodes -.-

http://www.imdb.com/character/ch0001464/filmoseries#tt0092455
  • Options
    kittyflofykittyflofy Member Posts: 1,004 Arc User
    TNG
    my fav is DS9, the characters in this tv show were well written. i like also Enterprise, because it was more modern. TNG is in my opinion, kitsch and sickly

TNG is by far the best show, specially because of the well-written characters, their development, amazing chained stories, excellent production and a huge etc. It is also the Show that more awards won (by far). I mean, saying that you like DS9 because of "the characters in this tv show were well written" is a little vague. If it is for that, you should have liked TNG far more. Dunno what means "kitsh and sickly" , but dont think its somethig good lol, you are insulting the best star trek show ever created, sacrilege!!! lol. -endjokes.
  • Options
    TNG
    TNG was objectively not that great of a show,

lol.. -no comments.
  • Options
    TNG
    nikephorus wrote: »

People believe in god more than science, thats why..
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2015
    DS9
    kittyflofy wrote: »

Or, they didn't like TNG's preachiness and Picard's imprudence as a CO. Remember, this is the idiot who flew into Cardassian territory with his shields down in the middle of a war and then acted all surprised when the Cardies decided to kick his balls up between his ears instead of letting him preach at them. And then he calls them "treacherous" for this.
  • Options
    virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    TOS

I thought it was mainly because they enjoyed generic space opera more than Star Trek.
  • Options
    sennahcheribsennahcherib Member Posts: 2,823 Arc User
    edited July 2015
    DS9
    @kittyflofy , no need to comment our opinions, you waste your time. and btw, learn how to quote sentences: [*quote]insert your blabla[*/quote] <-- remove the *
  • Options
    crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,113 Arc User
    TOS

TNG is by far the best show, specially because of the well-written characters, their development, amazing chained stories, excellent production and a huge etc. It is also the Show that more awards won (by far). I mean, saying that you like DS9 because of "the characters in this tv show were well written" is a little vague. If it is for that, you should have liked TNG far more. Dunno what means "kitsh and sickly" , but dont think its somethig good lol, you are insulting the best star trek show ever created, sacrilege!!! lol. -endjokes.

Seriously, what 'character development? lets see:

Captain Jean Luc Picard: Found out he was never a great starship captain (he abandoned the Stargazer prematurely - see TNG's "The Battle" - was court martialed for that - yet somehow got command of what became the'Flagship of the Federation' - yet routinely and needlessly let the ship lose shields, take damage and casualties (see TNG's "Q-Who") BEFORE really returning fire. Plus the one Cardassian war story we heard (in TNG's "The Wounded") was how the Cardassians has damaged the Stargazer (and again the 'great' Picard probably had suffered crew casualties too); and the Stargazer was running back to Federation space. As far as 'Character Development' - sorry but finding he hates children and was an archeology student is hardly much. About the only real character change he had over the 7 seasons was morphing from someone of French ancestry into one heck of an Englishman.

Before coming to the 1701-D the character of William Riker wanted to be captain before age 30. Over 7 seasons he had TURNED DOWN three offers of starship command. He was constantly 'back and forth' with the Deanna Troi romantic relationship (which appeared to be written like they were confused teenagers.) We found out he had daddy issues that were never resolved too <-- Not much 'character development' there.

Deanna Troi: For 7 seasons her greatest character trait seemed to be stating the obvious (IE The Enterprise-D is fired on...Troi's comment: "I'm sensing great hostility from the Captain of the Romulan ship..." - DUH!); In Season 6 she was actually turned into a Federation officer by Captain Jellico; and in Season 7 got her 'Command certification' (after failing the final soooo many times, even William Rilker said "No more..."); again sorry not any real 'character development' in 7 seasons.

Data: My god, after 7 seasons around humans (with them explaining things about phrases to him as they said them); you would think his computerized brain and memory would recall that and he would keep asking question abouit the same phrases he heard in earlier seasons - again in later seasons. About the only real 'character development' for the character was his aspect of "Not being able to use contractions" - even though he HAD been using them in multiple early first season episodes.

So, yeah, TNG did occasionally have some very good episodes; but 'character development'? Not really.
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
  • Options
    benben500benben500 Member Posts: 112 Arc User
    DS9
    I voted DS9 because I think it's just great overall. I enjoyed it most because the characters were great and it went into new territory. Not so much exploration in there, but it did so much. It let us see into all sorts of things such as people outside of Starfleet and delved into darker waters. I liked Sisko as someone who does whatever it takes, he's like future Jack Bauer (with far less violence and torture of course).

TOS and TAS are really different from TNG and after, but overall I would order my favorite series as:

DS9, TOS/TAS, TNG, ENT, VOY

I consider TAS a continuation of TOS, so I grouped them together.
    Not saying that any are bad, I like all Star Trek (except for jjtrek, I think that's TRIBBLE), but VOY and the first 3 seasons of ENT are not something I really want to watch in my free time
    "Bloody explorers, ponce off to Mumbo Jumbo land, come home with a tropical disease, a suntan and a bag of brown lumpy things, and Bob's your uncle, everyone's got a picture of them in the lavatory."
    -Edmund Blackadder-
  • Options
    nikephorusnikephorus Member Posts: 2,744 Arc User
    TNG

I'm not bashing on ds9 or any other star trek series. I love the franchise as a whole, but as I said I just had no idea ds9 was this popular. I figured tos and tng would be the two most popular.
    Tza0PEl.png
  • Options
    wildweasalwildweasal Member Posts: 1,053 Arc User
    DS9
    xiaoping88 wrote: »
    I speak for the silent... majority by saying DS9.

how many lights are there?
    3ondby_zpsikszslyx.jpg
  • Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    DS9

I don't believe in god or gods, in fact ,I believe there are definitely no gods or god, but maybe particularly because of that I like engaging in discussions of faith, understanding what causes people to believe.

TNG had its god-like beings, too, only DS9 bothered to look more closely into them.

Neither the "Prophets" nor the Changlings were "gods". They were just particularly weird aliens.
    The Prophepts never saw themselves as gods, they didn't really understand the world outside the wormhole until they encountered Sisko - and only then did "until" started to mean anything to them.
    The Wormhole Aliens were interpreted as gods by the Bajorans, because they gave them things that were beyond the scientific abilities of the Bajorans (and the Federation) to understand, and their timeless nature allowed them to make "prophecies".
    The changlings probably also never thought themselves as gods. They knew themselves as being hunted by beings very different from them, and they decided to create a safer environment - along that, they created servants that saw them as gods.

In neither case where these "Gods" ever displayed as the ultimate arbiter of good and evil. Some may have considered them a such, but hardly everyone. Sisko struggles with his role as Emissary. He rejects it at first, but starts accepting his role eventually - but his comrades don't all agree with that, and they fear for his safety and sanity.
    And I think never does the show forget that these "gods" are "just" aliens. Extraordinary ones, certainly, but they don't "require" worship in a moral or ethical sense.

Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    DS9

Really? Hardly! I like story arcs and stories with consequences that last, and engaging characters. Phtt gods :D.
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    storulesstorules Member Posts: 3,253 Arc User
    TNG
    I hear many conflicting opinions on which series that the fanbase generally likes the best, so I decided to make a poll and see for myself.

No OTHER? or none? :*
    tumblr_ncbngkt24X1ry46hlo1_400.gif
  • Options
    rakija879rakija879 Member Posts: 646 Arc User
    edited July 2015
    DS9
    Beat it DS9 was the best overall,
    TNG had great characters and great stories,
    VOY was my first and thats why I like it mostly,
    TOS it's old, but it's nice to see how it all started,
    ENT it's relatively new and I placed it last, because I don't like the xindi arc at all.
  • Options
    ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    TOS

Well if there are two Polls about the same thing going then this one will be Closed.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • Options
    ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    edited July 2015
    TOS
    TOS

Your first always holds a special place in your heart. I like all the rest but there is nothing about TOS and all its episodes I don't remember. I just finished watching Voyager again after twenty years and except for maybe a dozen or so episodes, I really didn't remember them at all.

I did really like Enterprise because it was about doing this Star Trek stuff first. Figuring things out first, the Origins of what was to come, etc. I think it got a short shrift.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • Options
    cirran1cirran1 Member Posts: 230 Arc User
    TOS
    Since, TNG is the most popular on the forums (I am guessing due to age). Does this mean that they are all Wesley fans? He and captain "lets all be friends" are part and parcel of TNG....

Cirran
  • Options
    gulberatgulberat Member Posts: 5,505 Arc User
    DS9
    Where were all you DS9 fans when it came to Cryptic's poll on what to expand on?

We could have been in the middile of the Gamma Quadrant dealing with Jem'Hadar, changlings, Vorta and Karemma now!

I suspect a lot of voters had hopes then that Cryptic would do better than the VOY writers. I thought that poll vote did not bode well--and unfortunately I was right: it served as an endorsement of a lot of the things VOY did badly. :(

Christian Gaming Community Fleets--Faith, Fun, and Fellowship! See the website and PM for more. :-)
    Proudly F2P.  Signature image by gulberat. Avatar image by balsavor.deviantart.com.
  • Options
    gulberatgulberat Member Posts: 5,505 Arc User
    DS9

Or, they didn't like TNG's preachiness and Picard's imprudence as a CO. Remember, this is the idiot who flew into Cardassian territory with his shields down in the middle of a war and then acted all surprised when the Cardies decided to kick his balls up between his ears instead of letting him preach at them. And then he calls them "treacherous" for this.

Good point. All I can say is if I'd been Gul Macet, I don't think I could have been as restrained as him when Picard lollygagged around while Cardassians died. Picard's lucky Macet was NOT like his cousin Dukat, and had discipline enough to remove himself from the bridge before what could have been a very deadly burst of anger.

As for DS9, one of the great things about it was that there was something about it to challenge all views. That show did a great job of presenting most all stories as having at least two sides and most characters as having three dimensions, instead of ramming one view down people's throats. It had quality writing. In contrast, TNG did the Mary Sue thing a lot, which doesn't just have to do with the traits of the main characters, but also with how the main characters interact with opposition. TNG had a LOT of straw men, who were just there to make the main characters look good, get lectured, and get steamrolled. There were certainly a few exceptions (the Borg and the Cardassians), but most episodes were not like that...it usually ended up getting tied up in a neat little bow at the end without consequence to the main crew, and without any dimension to whatever villain just ended up serving their role to prove the moral of the story.

Christian Gaming Community Fleets--Faith, Fun, and Fellowship! See the website and PM for more. :-)
    Proudly F2P.  Signature image by gulberat. Avatar image by balsavor.deviantart.com.