Voyager
11% 9 votes
Enterprise
5% 4 votes

Comments

• artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    No TAS? Still, DS9 obviously.
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • zobovorzobovor Member Posts: 198 Arc User
    > @artan42 said:
    > No TAS? Still, DS9 obviously.

I kinda hate these polls as it's like choosing between hamburgers, pizza, Chinese , Hindu, & other's ..

THERE IS NO RIGHT ANSWER !!!
  • daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    @ ALL OF THE ABOVE
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • sovereign47sovereign47 Member Posts: 399 Arc User
    DS9 is the best by far for me and close to it is TNG.
    FED ENG: FA Sirius Verax (USS Leviathan) , FED TAC (Delta): FA Adria Tyllex (USS Thunderblade) , ROM TAC: ADM Kill'ina (IRW Imperix Thrai) , KLING ENG (Delta): LT. GEN Ghol'Vaq Martok (IKS Qeh'Ral II) - 44th Fleet member
    SZ1RgUL.jpg
    SUPPORTING PLAYABLE CARDASSIAN AND DOMINION FACTIONS!
  • grandnaguszek1grandnaguszek1 Member Posts: 2,188 Arc User
    Too bad there isn't an option to tie DS9 with TNG!
    say-star-wars-is-better.jpg
  • kimonykimony Member Posts: 571 Arc User
    My fav is DS-9, but that still leaves the question: Is it a fake or is it real?

3.gif

#SaucersForever #TrianglesCutDeep #TeamBeta #ShipOneisNumberOne
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 Arc User
    DS9 by far. A captain whom I would actually trust as my CO, many finely handled, dark and dramatic morality plays that give the viewer enough credit for their intelligence (unlike how preachy TNG tended to be, especially early on), one of the few Star Trek comedy episodes ever that's actually watchable ("Trials and Tribble-ations"), the USS Ben Sisko's Mothereffin' Pimp Hand, excellent and thematically appropriate use of story arcs (which VOY lacked where it shouldn't have), and writers who actually paid attention to the fans reacting badly to annoying characters and remedied it (look at early Bashir versus Bashir a couple seasons in, and then compare Wesley Crusher or Neelix).
    and writers who actually paid attention to the fans reacting badly to annoying characters and remedied it (look at early Bashir versus Bashir a couple seasons in, and then compare Wesley Crusher or Neelix).

Well that's just untrue... Both Wesley and Nelix were kicked of their ships eventually :p .
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

• mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    OP: in what context? i mean are you askign what show can slingshot the moon into deep space? which show can create roadkill? what context? next time add the context for your poll.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
    artan42 wrote: »
    and writers who actually paid attention to the fans reacting badly to annoying characters and remedied it (look at early Bashir versus Bashir a couple seasons in, and then compare Wesley Crusher or Neelix).

Well that's just untrue... Both Wesley and Nelix were kicked of their ships eventually :p .

Neelix was still aboard and being alternatively useless and a danger to the crew almost to the final episode. Whereas DS9 saved Bashir pretty fast (within a season and a half or so), by toning down his irritating traits (his smarminess and his puppy-dog pursuit of Jadzia) and ramping up his more admirable qualities (his devotion to his profession).
  • virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    TOS -> TNG -> TAS -> ENT -> VOY -> DS9

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hPC2Fp7IT7o
    TOS -> TNG -> TAS -> ENT -> VOY -> DS9

You got TOS and DS9 in the wrong order :/

#TASforSTO

• sovereign47sovereign47 Member Posts: 399 Arc User
    OMFG, really?! DS9 at the last place?! Even after TAS?! That is a blasphemy!
    FED ENG: FA Sirius Verax (USS Leviathan) , FED TAC (Delta): FA Adria Tyllex (USS Thunderblade) , ROM TAC: ADM Kill'ina (IRW Imperix Thrai) , KLING ENG (Delta): LT. GEN Ghol'Vaq Martok (IKS Qeh'Ral II) - 44th Fleet member
    SZ1RgUL.jpg
    SUPPORTING PLAYABLE CARDASSIAN AND DOMINION FACTIONS!
    My bad, my bad...for some odd reason I was thinking Captains instead of Series.

The Series ranking would be...

TOS -> TNG -> TAS -> ENT -> DS9 -> VOY
  • johnthomas02johnthomas02 Member Posts: 16 Arc User
    My favorite series was DS9 and my least favorite was Voyager. It's kind of strange that I hated DS9's premier and didn't watch it again until the season 2 finale. On the other hand, "Caretaker" hooked me on Voyager immediately, but I quickly grew to hate that series.

I've been watching all the series on Netflix and it saddens me that I find Enterprise so disappointing. I just find the whole series so forgettable. It's just another reminder of why I hate prequels. One would think that 7 million people being killed on Earth would be a major historical event, but apparently no one in the 23rd or 24th century knows or cares about it.
  • rattler2rattler2 Member, Star Trek Online Moderator Posts: 58,494 Community Moderator
    I've been watching all the series on Netflix and it saddens me that I find Enterprise so disappointing. I just find the whole series so forgettable. It's just another reminder of why I hate prequels. One would think that 7 million people being killed on Earth would be a major historical event, but apparently no one in the 23rd or 24th century knows or cares about it.

There could be a lot of reasons why "It was never mentioned" in the 23rd and 24th Centuries. From a production standpoint... it was because those shows came out BEFORE Enterprise so how could they reference something from Enterprise in older shows? In universe... by the 23rd and 24th Centuries... it would be like talking about the American Revolution or some of the more darker events from WW2. Unless its brought up or in a history lesson... its not exactly something that comes up in conversation. How often was the Earth/Romulan War mentioned?

Enterprise was decent if you didn't try to constantly compare it to what came before. Saying Picard or Kirk wouldn't do that in regards to what Archer did doesn't work because this was BEFORE their time. Humans were just starting out in the galaxy so of course mistakes would be made. But they were Human mistakes. Kirk and Picard were around with a fully established United Federation of Planets. Archer... didn't have all that. But without Archer... we wouldn't have gotten Kirk and Picard later on. No Archer, no Colalition, no Federation.

One of the upsides was seeing how phasers and stuff like that were developed. And if the show didn't get canceled, we'd get the Earth/Romulan War.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • kojirohellfirekojirohellfire Member Posts: 1,606 Arc User
    DS9, followed closely by TNG and TOS (and I consider TAS part of TOS).
  • tomaswilletomaswille Member Posts: 119 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    I am apparently also one of the few that puts DS9 in the last place.

I think people will smack me for it, but i just like the exploration bit.
    DS9 was hold at one place most of the time, and felt more like a "sci-fi" soap, then rather an action serie.
    (I know DS9 also had lots of action)

And since i am also more of the 2nd generation Gene Roddenberry, even TOS is good, here is my list: ( and they all followed up CLOSE! )

TNG - VOY - TOS - ENT - DS9

giphy.gif
  • tehbubbalootehbubbaloo Member Posts: 2,003 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    ENT -> DS9 -> TOS -> VOY -> TNG

i would have liked to have rated tng higher, but it was just waaay too preachy for my tastes.
  • eldarion79eldarion79 Member Posts: 1,679 Arc User
    tomaswille wrote: »
    I am apparently also one of the few that puts DS9 in the last place.

I think people will smack me for it, but i just like the exploration bit.
    DS9 was hold at one place most of the time, and felt more like a "sci-fi" soap, then rather an action serie.
    (I know DS9 also had lots of action)

And since i am also more of the 2nd generation Gene Roddenberry, even TOS is good, here is my list: ( and they all followed up CLOSE! )

TNG - VOY - TOS - ENT - DS9

Given that TNG's exploration was just as expansive as DS9's, VOY and ENT had more exploration. Personally, its DS9 - TNG - ENT - VOY - TOS. I did a re-watching of TOS last month, I admit there are some good points.
    Fine I'll list 'em out:
    DS9, ENT, TNG, TOS, VOY, TAS.

#TASforSTO

• mjarbarmjarbar Member Posts: 2,084 Arc User
    For me it has to be TOS, without that show I would never have got into trek to enjoy all the others. As for an order of prefrance it would be:

TOS/TAS -> TNG -> DS9 -> ENT -> VOY

But for an order of how well I thought they were written I personally think:

DS9 -> TNG -> TOS/TAS -> ENT -> VOY
    hZbIdbh.jpg
    THANK YOU FOUNDRY - YOUR CONTENT GAVE ME MANY HAPPY HOURS
  • warmaker001bwarmaker001b Member Posts: 9,205 Arc User
    I put my vote in for TOS. That crew started it all and had 4 movies under their belt until TNG came around to take the reigns.

Once TNG & DS9 found their footing, I do think they were better shows. They also ran far more seasons than TOS.

But again, Star Trek started with TOS, Kirk and crew. The show and its offshoot movies laid the groundwork for what would follow.
    XzRTofz.gif
  • xarynn2058xarynn2058 Member Posts: 158 Arc User
    DS9
    Despite being subject to the "Boldly going nowhere" jibes early on, it gave us a far deeper look at life in the Alpha and Beta Quadrants than any other series had. And for the first time we had some long-running plots to follow.
    S1J6m8B.jpg
    I wonder how much of it comes down to the order that one watched them in, intermixed with thoughts on them as they played out.

When I watched TOS, TNG hadn't come about yet - it was 10-12 years down the road for me.

And well, who remembers the Trekkies vs. Trekkers stuff, yeah? And eventually TNG wasn't a stinker...it definitely picked up; but it came second and could never overcome all the attachment to TOS that had taken place.

Then along comes DS9/VOY/ENT, and well...could ask me six times and get six different answers on that one...

DS9 -> VOY -> ENT
    DS9 -> ENT -> VOY
    ENT -> DS9 -> VOY
    ENT -> VOY -> DS9
    VOY -> DS9 -> ENT
    VOY -> ENT -> DS9

...with those just being the alphabetical display of the potential responses. Because, unlike both TOS and TNG where I had watched all the episodes who knows how many times - I've never watched all the episodes of those three series - they were all just too bad, never showing that turnaround that TNG did. Hell, in most cases, they just kept getting worse and worse and worse.

The order they'll come out in tends to be a reflection of least worst to most worst rather than best to worst, though sometimes it will be a case of having a fond memory that might move one ahead of the other.

It's difficult not to look at DS9 and say it's simply not Star Trek.
    It's difficult not to look at VOY and say it's a Star Trek parody.
    It's difficult not to look at ENT and make jokes about needing to make a quantum leap to watch it.

DS9, if it hadn't been tied to the Star Trek IP, might have been a good show - but with the in your face this isn't Star Trek all the time, well, just couldn't stand watching it. Nothing could have saved VOY - maybe if they'd made it a cartoon. ENT...you know...I think the big thing about that was prequel saturation and the bitter taste of that already.

But yeah, there are folks that might have watched VOY first - and - they probably think that TOS is a parody, yeah? Folks that watched DS9 first - and - TNG isn't Star Trek to them in the least. Etc, etc, etc...it's a curious thought at times...trying to figure out how folks can like/prefer what they do.
  • worffan101worffan101 Member Posts: 9,518 Arc User
    Tough question.

I am a committed TNG fanboy, but I openly admit that the first season and a half or so was pretty much worthless.

DS9 I love to bits, and it contains what I feel is the single greatest piece of television in history (season 1's "Duet"). In terms of raw personal power, only DS9 and TNG can actually hit me where it hurts.

Both seasons started off rocky. Season 1 of TNG was just plain bad. Season 2 had Maurice Hurley, who I consider to be an avatar of whatever malevolent deity you happen to have in your religion. Bashir in the first season or so was really arrogant, even though his relationship with Garak was probably the most adorable thing about the show.

TNG is my first SF show, so it will always hold that special place in my heart. Also, it has "The Inner Light", "Tapestry", "Chain of Command", and "The Best of Both Worlds". But DS9 has "Duet", "Rocks and Shoals" (I cry every time I watch both of those, and I love Remata'klan to BITS), "The Magnificent Ferengi" (die, Keevan! Die, slimy, cowardly, sleazy traitor!), and "Trials and Tribble-Ations".

I'm going to say TNG for personal reasons. But I think that DS9 is objectively better in terms of plotting, pacing, and even acting (despite Sir Patrick Stewart's incredible skills).

TOS was OK, but...well, it gets cheesy at times, and there are a number of terrible episodes.

Voyager was...it was a good concept, done badly. I don't hate it so much as I'm supremely disappointed by it. It had some good episodes, and some bad episodes, and "Threshold", and the One Where Starfleet JAG is apparently OK with genocide and high treason. In fairness, though, it had the EMH, and I loved "Timeless" and "Tinker, Tenor, Doctor, Spy". And Seven...well, Seven had some very good episodes despite being brought on for the Fanservice. And even Chakotay had a good moment in "Equinox" despite being a walking insult to all Native Americans.

Enterprise was awful. The first episode was one face-palming moment after the other. The characters were one-dimensional and often racist stereotypes. The third episode is not only misogynistic drivel, but I find it personally repellent because it treats a very personal violation as comedy--especially disgusting, to me, since my best friend had a very similar experience, although in her case it was a drugged drink rather than a bowl of psychic pebbles. "Dear Doctor" is quite simply the most appalling episode of Star Trek ever, where genocide is proclaimed proudly to be the right and proper order of things, and allowing a species to die slowly and painfully of a pandemic is declared morally right. And as for "A Night in Sickbay"...that is the single worst episode in the entire franchise. No human being should ever have to sit through that.

So. TNG & DS9 > TOS > VOY >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>ENT.
  • gulberatgulberat Member Posts: 5,505 Arc User
    DS9 by far. A captain whom I would actually trust as my CO, many finely handled, dark and dramatic morality plays that give the viewer enough credit for their intelligence (unlike how preachy TNG tended to be, especially early on), one of the few Star Trek comedy episodes ever that's actually watchable ("Trials and Tribble-ations"), the USS Ben Sisko's Mothereffin' Pimp Hand, excellent and thematically appropriate use of story arcs (which VOY lacked where it shouldn't have), and writers who actually paid attention to the fans reacting badly to annoying characters and remedied it (look at early Bashir versus Bashir a couple seasons in, and then compare Wesley Crusher or Neelix).

All of these are great points about DS9, and I agree. Even in that first season, though, the writers paid enough attention to character development and to make use of those early seeds in later episodes. Also, don't forget early on, Sisko punching Q. "WELL, I'M NOT PICARD."

TNG...had its moments, but was preachy and tended not to really develop its characters except for Picard, Worf, and Data. (DS9--everyone felt "real" in terms of depth of characterization.)

TOS...too campy and sexist for me to watch, unfortunately. However, there are some great TOS BOOKS out there, that I almost consider part of my headcanon. Credit for the Klingons being credible heads of an empire, and intelligent. (This mantle ended up being passed to the Cardassians in later series, and the Klingons handed the idiot ball IMO...which is the reason I don't give Cryptic all of the fault for their moronic Klingons. It's not without canon precedent.)

VOY--Meh. Even a simple Excel spreadsheet maintaining personnel and supply counts would have set the right tone to help keep this thing on track (see the famous Torpedo Count video on YouTube for an example of why), and even ensuring realistic consequences for Janeway's decision from a manpower and materiel standpoint might have forced consistent character development. As it was--good concept, badly handled. See nuBSG to see something like this deliver on its promise.

ENT--Yeah, the first few seasons were bad. That said, I need to get on Amazon Prime and watch the later seasons, because I'm told I'm missing out on some really good stuff. If true, I'd describe this series as redeemed too late to fulfill its promise.

Christian Gaming Community Fleets--Faith, Fun, and Fellowship! See the website and PM for more. :-)
    Proudly F2P.  Signature image by gulberat. Avatar image by balsavor.deviantart.com.
    gulberat wrote: »
    TNG...had its moments, but was preachy and tended not to really develop its characters except for Picard, Worf, and Data. (DS9--everyone felt "real" in terms of depth of characterization.)

Yeah, VOY and ENT had the same problem. It seems to be a habit of Berman and Braga: they keep wanting to do a show with a core two or three characters and some satellite supporting actors, but the Star Trek format of a large command crew really requires a full ensemble cast with more equal distribution of screentime. By contrast, Ira Steven Behr got it.

Joss Whedon's good with those, too, incidentally -- it's part of the reason they tapped him to write and direct The Avengers.
  • theraven2378theraven2378 Member Posts: 6,007 Arc User
    DS9, even though the first 2 seasons were pretty slow.

After season 3 things picked up fast and we saw a darker side to the 24th century that TNG and VOY never really explored
    NMXb2ph.png
      "The meaning of victory is not to merely defeat your enemy but to destroy him, to completely eradicate him from living memory, to leave no remnant of his endeavours, to crush utterly his achievement and remove from all record his every trace of existence. From that defeat no enemy can ever recover. That is the meaning of victory."
      -Lord Commander Solar Macharius
    • worffan101worffan101 Member Posts: 9,518 Arc User
      Yeah, TNG holds a special place in my heart and I generally rank it highest on Picard, Data, Worf, and Geordi alone, but it had some major problems in early seasons (Space Africans, anyone?), and season 7 was rocky at times, despite All Good Things being a triumph of awesome.

DS9...DS9 was Star Trek done right. And I love the characters; I shipped Bashir/Garak immediately after Bashir ran into Ops obsessing over Garak with a manic grin like a schoolboy with a crush, and Odo is my adorable little grumpy shapeshifting cutie and I won't hear a word against him, and Kira is awesome and badass, and THE Sisko is of Bajor, and Quark is quite simply the BEST example of rescuing an entire species from the scrappy heap ever, and even the bit parts are great.

I mean, Remata'klan from "Rocks and Shoals" was one of the primary inspirations for Omek, and Aamin Marritza (from "Duet") remains the only Star Trek character whose death I have cried over every single time without fail. I even stayed dry-eyed through Spock's death scene in Wrath of Khan once, although to be fair I was severely dehydrated and very sick at the time, but never through Marritza's breakdown and murder.

So yeah. DS9 was a better show, but I love TNG because personal reasons.