Install Arc
Options

TARg nerf..?

Comments

• Options
    swamarianswamarian Member Posts: 1,506 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    I'm indifferent to a fix.
    If I hit the shortcuts right in the first couple of seconds on a Targ, then I'm only competing against other Targs. On the other hand, it's a lot harder to hit those points on a Targ, and missing them can be costly. On the third hand, I did a race last night against another Targ owner and a bunch of non-superior boards, and even though we both screwed up repeatedly, we easily took first and second place.
    For me, at least, it's a wash right now. If they do fix/nerf the board, then I'd consider buying a regular superior board, but it'd be at the end of my summer wishlist.
  • Options
    kozar2kozar2 Member Posts: 602 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    iconians wrote: »
    And it's already established this is a bug.

No it was intentional and now they are calling it a bug. If it was a bug it would list the speed at 60 and the board would go 65. But they have listed the speed as 65 and set the speed at 65. The board does exactly what it says it should do. They are throttling it back because of ******** and disavowing their responsibility by crying "bug".

I'm surprised you of all people didn't catch that.
  • Options
    iconiansiconians Member Posts: 6,987 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    kozar2 wrote: »
    No it was intentional and now they are calling it a bug. If it was a bug it would list the speed at 60 and the board would go 65. But they have listed the speed as 65 and set the speed at 65. The board does exactly what it says it should do. They are throttling it back because of ******** and disavowing their responsibility by crying "bug".

I'm surprised you of all people didn't catch that.

Does the dev blog say the Targ H.O.G. Powerboard is faster than a Superior Powerboard?
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • Options
    legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,280 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Does the dev blog say the Targ H.O.G. Powerboard is faster than a Superior Powerboard?
    it does not; i just checked for myself
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    it does not; i just checked for myself

Correct.

Finally, the new Klingon Targ Hog Superior Mini-Powerboard gives enthusiasts a slightly different experience, with a shorter board, higher turn rate, and lower traction.

As reyan01 has already pointed out. Nothing about an increase in speed is mentioned. The modifications to mini-powerboards actually reflects...
    I've seen multiple threads asking about the Targ H.O.G Mini-Powerboard's speed compared to Superior Powerboards. The Targ H.O.G.'s stats are currently bugged.

The base speed should be (and will be once the fix goes to you all) 60 - the same as a Superior Powerboard. The turn rate will be 150, which is higher than a Superior Powerboard. While it isn't shown, the H.O.G's Inertia (ability to start/stop) is lower than a Superior Powerboard.

So, Mini-Powerboard = higher turn rate, lower start/stop capability.

So, if the dev blog says one thing, and a developer says the powerboard is supposed to be like it says in the dev blog... then maybe consider the possibility the higher speed increase actually is a bug instead of a bait-and-switch tactic.
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • Options
    misterchairmisterchair Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Hang on, what's all this talk about shortcuts and banging boards, jump start etc. Are there bonuses or procs that I'm missing. This is my first event and I wait at the start line, hit both mouse buttons when the race starts and hit f at the race finish to pick up my favors. Should I be looking for speed ups or jumping my board at the start line to get a boost ? If so, where do I find these details ?
  • Options
    edited June 2015

Does it say it's not? Developer blogs always have the caveat "we can change what we say". Also they regularly post and leave things out of those. I mean it never said the Nandi can use cannons but it can. If they had only listed the speed or set the speed to 65 then I believe it is likely a mistake. But when you set both of them at 65 you have done so with intention. It was not an accident somebody intentionally did it. So not a bug.
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    It was not an accident somebody intentionally did it. So not a bug.

You're certain that this wasn't an accident based on what evidence? I'm not sure how you can glean motive from this.
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • Options
    xlesha911xlesha911 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    They MAKE this "bug" for the reason - TO SELL this board!

I dont read ALL blog... I log in to game, came to board seller and see - Targ H.O.G Mini-Powerboard 65 SPEED!!!

I dont need LOWER ability to START and 60 speed...

Now i want REFUND - ability to trade Targ to any other 1500 Powerboard!!!
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    xlesha911 wrote: »

I dont read ALL blog... I log in to game, came to board seller and see - Targ H.O.G Mini-Powerboard 65 SPEED!!!

While I don't necessarily disagree, if they wanted to sell the Targ H.O.G. to the players -- you'd think a great way for marketing to do is would be the dev blog.

If the dev blog said "Hey, this thing is faster than the Superior Powerboard!" you'd think they'd hook more players into logging in and getting one.

I mean they're either incompetent or immoral. If they make a mistake, that's incompetence. If they're going to be immoral and stick to this as a bait-and-switch tactic, you'd think they'd go the full nine yards and thow it in on the dev blog.

I mean, they've already proven editing a dev blog is the exact same thing as something never happening to begin with. Nothing would stop them from posting that on a dev blog and then editing later when the patch is out.

So, either they aren't good at the 'bait' part of the bait-and-switch, or maybe it's just an honest bug.
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    You're certain that this wasn't an accident based on what evidence? I'm not sure how you can glean motive from this.

Simple an accident happens once. As I said before, either, listed at 65 speed or went 65 not both. You don't accidentally list the speed at 65 and then accidentally make the speed 65. That clearly shows intent.
  • Options
    thatcursedwolfthatcursedwolf Member Posts: 1,617 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    xlesha911 wrote: »

Can you buy Favors with Lobi or something?
    Simple an accident happens once. As I said before, either, listed at 65 speed or went 65 not both. You don't accidentally list the speed at 65 and then accidentally make the speed 65. That clearly shows intent.

Unless the tooltip just reads the speed setting on the board or the person setting up the board didn't read the design specs right.
    This is my Risian Corvette. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
  • Options
    edited June 2015

There are lots of things that are listed as one thing and do as they say. Cryptic has, in the past, acknowledged them as bugs. I don't see why this should be seen as any different, particularly when the dev blog and developer both say the Targ's speed was not intended to be faster than the superior powerboard.

Stephen Ricossa hasn't continued his apology tour by trying to backpedal or appease anyone (yet), so I'm not seeing any type of guilt on Cryptic's part.

Nobody has spoken up and said, "Hey, we wanted the Targ to be faster than the Superior Powerboard, but based on player feedback we're dialing it back."

I mean, they've admitted to worse decisions in the past. Powerboards on Risa is extremely trivial. So why would they lie about this?
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2015

I mean, they've admitted to worse decisions in the past. Powerboards on Risa is extremely trivial. So why would they lie about this?

Just easier. It's a small thing and they are changing it a week in. I don't think this is some great conspiracy that needs a cover-up but they knew what they were doing. You don't make the exact same "oops" twice in the same spot.

Added
    Also maybe it was a new guy who did it. Someone didn't ask a question they should have or didn't test things properly and they don't want to expose that or have someone thrown under the bus (this community does have it's share of vengeful jerks). Who knows why.
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    You don't make the exact same "oops" twice in the same spot.

It's happened before.

Seriously, they've taken the heat for Peghazi, Japorigate, and any other number of controversial decisions. I'm not sure why they'd pick Powerboards of all topics to stay quiet about in regards to questionable decision-making, as a result of some kind of guilty conscience.

Since none of that is happening, I really have to place my odds at this simply being a bug instead of a bait-and-switch tactic.

Hey, maybe you're right though. I've been wrong before. I'm just not seeing why Cryptic would sweat the small stuff when they've fallen on their sword over so much already.
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    meimeitoo wrote: »
    Targ board should get a nerf, pure and simple.

Wait, you're asking for a nerf because you PvP or something?

I mean, people paid for the Targ board, shouldn't they get all the benefits that it came with, intentional or not?

:P
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    xlesha911xlesha911 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    reyan01 wrote: »
    So what you're basically saying is that they should refund you because you were too lazy to read a blog?

Okaaaay.....

:D:D

Now show me, where the dev blog said "TARg has the same 60 speed but higher turn rate, and lower ability to start"??? And board seller show me 65 speed!!!

Nobody will buy board that has same speed and lower ability to start...
  • Options
    bones1970bones1970 Member Posts: 953 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    I've seen multiple threads asking about the Targ H.O.G Mini-Powerboard's speed compared to Superior Powerboards. The Targ H.O.G.'s stats are currently bugged.

The base speed should be (and will be once the fix goes to you all) 60 - the same as a Superior Powerboard. The turn rate will be 150, which is higher than a Superior Powerboard. While it isn't shown, the H.O.G's Inertia (ability to start/stop) is lower than a Superior Powerboard.

So, Mini-Powerboard = higher turn rate, lower start/stop capability.

After the nerv, they going to suck, at start lower start capabillity at finish-line lower stop capability.
    Turn rate in a race without almost a corner !!!
  • Options
    echattyechatty Member Posts: 5,914 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    You show us where the blog says it's supposed to be faster then. All it says is the board maneuvers better but has a lower inertia. Nothing about it being faster. Which we can assume means it's the same speed as other superior boards.

Another suggestion would be to boost the power of the other 1500 favor boards to match Targ, or boost cost of Targ to 2000 favors
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.
    I have come to the conclusion that I have a memory like Etch-A-Sketch. I shake my head and forget everything. :D
  • Options
    aelfwin1aelfwin1 Member Posts: 2,896 Arc User
    edited June 2015

I (and a few others I know) purchased the board on the belief that it was a bit faster , but a bit less controllable -- aka a board with a bit of a trade off .

How many new boards were introduced , that explain such carelessness ?
    Who was soooo busy , that they could not get TWO BOARDS powered & documented correctly ?

... yeah , as others have said it , the continuous repeating of these "errors" is questionable at best ...
  • Options
    blackwyvernblackwyvern Member Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Well we are about to findout soon :D
  • Options
    blackwyvernblackwyvern Member Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    It was fixed.
  • Options
    krilldarnkrilldarn Member Posts: 211 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    zarato4218 wrote: »

EDIT: Wow, ninja'd by four people... that has to be a record. :P I guess that answers the question of what the majority think of krilldarn's idea though. As well as the question do I type too slow. :D

think you might have used the wrong meme......
    :)
    Ninja'd........When posting on a forum, you submit a post only to find that someone has posted the same thing only seconds earlier.

One thing hasn't been mentioned..... people are asking where does it state these boards are faster..... The tool tip states that the board is faster.... however that will not be the case after the nerf.....
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    Hang on, what's all this talk about shortcuts and banging boards, jump start etc.

At the start of the race, there are a couple of places where you can jump over rocks, rather than taking the ramp. It makes it easier to take the shorter route around the island, and cuts a bit of distance off your route. If you don't do it right, you get hung up, which doesn't end the race for you, but does eat a lot of time.
  • Options
    laferrari1laferrari1 Member Posts: 434 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    krilldarn wrote: »
    I personally do not think it should be nerfed. it is a new product a year down the line.... it is a bit like the owners of ivy bridge processors calling on intel to slow down haswell cores because it is not fair their processor is slower or apple removing functionality from the iphone 6 because iphone 5 users complain..... simple do 5 extra dance offs..... this game is grind or pay, not shout till it is nerfed.... devs do enough nerfing on their own......

This makes no sense. Real life processors improve because technology makes them evolve. People knew that someday Ivy would have been surpassed, it's part of something called "advancement". Same goes for iPhones, they keep getting better and better because they have to!

How can you even compare them to a virtual powerboard that simply has bugged stats??
    I need to get to him. I can't just leave him out there alone. - Sometimes you've got to makes sacrifices, Lara. You can't save everyone. - I know about sacrifices. - No, you know about loss. Sacrifice is a choice you make. Loss is a choice made for you. - I can't choose to let him die, Roth.
  • Options
    tinkerstormtinkerstorm Member Posts: 853 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Cryptic's business model is based entirely on bait-and-switch deception, so nothing new here.
  • Options
    starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Meanwhile, here's little old me sitting here laughing at all the whining from the folks who blew Lobi to buy this thing instead of waiting for after the patch to even start the event.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • Options
    tinkerstormtinkerstorm Member Posts: 853 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    starswordc wrote: »
    Meanwhile, here's little old me sitting here laughing at all the whining from the folks who blew Lobi to buy this thing instead of waiting for after the patch to even start the event.
    Meanwhile, here I sit laughing at all the trophy kiddies living in self-denial thinking the only reason they never could win a race was because Targ board.
  • Options
    crypticrockcrypticrock Member Posts: 120 Cryptic Developer
    edited June 2015
    The release notes have been updated. It was, in fact, a bugfix.
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    starswordc wrote: »

???
    I bought the Spock board, the Targ board, 2 superior floaters, a swim suit, board shorts, an aloha shirt and the off duty outfits, without spending lobi. I'm not sure about you coming out ahead.