SJW's incoming in 3, 2, 1,...
    "Go play with your DPS in the corner, I don't care how big it is." ~ Me
    "There... are... four... lights!" ~Jean Luc Picard
  • Options
    jam3s1701jam3s1701 Member Posts: 1,825 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    chalpen wrote: »
    You people are an embarrassment

How so please Enlighten us!?! and please give a elaborate answer.

The utter truth is this issue isn't going to die easy :-s and tbh it shouldn't either it is 2015 and its a hotly debated topic all over the globe.
    JtaDmwW.png
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,366 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    They called that a "flame war"?

Try defending Delta Rising, or mentioning what your favorite weapons layout is. (It doesn't even matter what the layout is, someone's going to post questioning your intellect, gameplay ability, parental-marriage status, sexual orientation, and/or probable destination if any in a hypothetical afterlife because your favored weapons aren't the same as theirs. And don't even get them started on BOff powers...)
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Sigh. And LOL.

Right after askray specifically said:

"And no, that does not mean make a new one that means this horse is dead leave it be. We get people are both happy and not happy with a TRIBBLE relationship being included in the story. Got it. Message received. Moving on now."

Inb4lock
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options
    nyniknynik Member Posts: 1,626 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    The players are one thing, but a forum mod posting anti-TRIBBLE stuff is truly beyond the pale.

You could at least do the man the courtesy of linking to his actual posts if you are going to just throw out a statement such as that.

• Options
    takegurutakeguru Member Posts: 94 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    jonsills wrote: »

Try defending Delta Rising, or mentioning what your favorite weapons layout is. (It doesn't even matter what the layout is, someone's going to post questioning your intellect, gameplay ability, parental-marriage status, sexual orientation, and/or probable destination if any in a hypothetical afterlife because your favored weapons aren't the same as theirs. And don't even get them started on BOff powers...)

It's easy to get views on your page when you mention something pertaining to LGBT.

That's the only reason it's become such a sight to watch, it's a hot button topic.

Heat up some popcorn.
  • Options
    bobtheskull99bobtheskull99 Member Posts: 706 Arc User
    edited June 2015

or heck, just mention that earth is "supposed to be in the alpha quadrant" ;)
  • Options
    xenificationxenification Member Posts: 615 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    So the Borg are who?

The Homophobic commenters or the Anti Homophobic comenters?

Both I guess?

the analogy can be used for both.

Though if we're talking mainstream resisting change then I guess the anti-homophobic individuals would be the borg.

I personally dont really care who is TRIBBLE and who isnt thats there business, so long as their sexuality isnt shoved down my throat I have no problems with it. they can be with whomever they want. just leave me and others out of it haha
  • Options
    corelogikcorelogik Member Posts: 1,039 Arc User
    edited June 2015

IKR? It is a 'flame war' because in the wake of #gamergate, it speaks to their SJW cause du jour,...

They obvioulsy haven't spent much time on forums to see what a REAL flame war looks like.
    nynik wrote: »
    You could at least do the man the courtesy of linking to his actual posts if you are going to just throw out a statement such as that.

Nah, they can't do that. That would be using logic and fact's in an argument instead of much more accurate emotions and assumptions that fit their SJW narrative.
    "Go play with your DPS in the corner, I don't care how big it is." ~ Me
    "There... are... four... lights!" ~Jean Luc Picard
  • Options
    induperatorinduperator Member Posts: 806 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Both I guess?

the analogy can be used for both.

Though if we're talking mainstream resisting change then I guess the anti-homophobic individuals would be the borg.

I personally dont really care who is TRIBBLE and who isnt thats there business, so long as their sexuality isnt shoved down my throat I have no problems with it. they can be with whomever they want.

According to some people the very sight of a same sex couple is "shoving it down your throat".
  • Options
    txcavaliertxcavalier Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Imagine that I went to go see a Star Trek movie. Near the entrance, two Lesbians block my path, and wont let me go around them. They declare that unless I give verbal acknowledgement, to the LGBT community, they wont permit me to see a movie. I'm being blatantly harassed and bullied over political ideology. I would call the police. Yet, here its perfectly acceptable?
  • Options
    takegurutakeguru Member Posts: 94 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    txcavalier wrote: »
    Imagine that I went to go see a Star Trek movie. Near the entrance, two Lesbians block my path, and wont let me go around them. They declare that unless I give verbal acknowledgement, to the LGBT community, they wont permit me to see a movie. I'm being blatantly harassed and bullied over political ideology. I would call the police. Yet, here its perfectly acceptable?

You're being too obvious.

I get it, you want replies.
    That's fine, it's simple, you just have to be a bit more subtle how you go about it.
  • Options
    thegrandnagus1thegrandnagus1 Member Posts: 5,165 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Well he didn't say he disliked them, he said that he didn't want his Children playing content with Same sex couples as it is "Inappropriate" for children to see, insinuating that Same sex couples are in some way vulgar and obscene.

I missed all of this. Could you please link to the post you are talking about, if it still exists?

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    takeguru wrote: »
    You're being too obvious.

I get it, you want replies.
    That's fine, it's simple, you just have to be a bit more subtle how you go about it.

I don't understand what you mean by this. The example I gave is what is really happening in STO. The fact is that the player base of STO is far more right/center-right politically than is being acknowledged. I honestly believe that it's something along the lines of 60%/40% with the left being the majority. Where is the sense of Cryptic analyzing metrics constantly in order to keep the game profitable, and then turn around and start bullying such a large portion of its player base?
  • Options
    westx211westx211 Member Posts: 42,215 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    I don't understand what you mean by this. The example I gave is what is really happening in STO. The fact is that the player base of STO is far more right/center-right politically than is being acknowledged. I honestly believe that it's something along the lines of 60%/40% with the left being the majority. Where is the sense of Cryptic analyzing metrics constantly in order to keep the game profitable, and then turn around and start bullying such a large portion of its player base?

Most of the player base is fine with the TRIBBLE couple in the mission.
    Men are not punished for their sins, but by them.
  • Options
    thunderfoot#5163 thunderfoot Member Posts: 4,540 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    So, the alleged flamewar over this drew some extra attention from outside our little..."community". Which may not be the correct word to use in this case.

Both sides locked phasers onto the other side in a tawdry fight which dragged out into the open all the usual arguments and die-hard take-no-prisoners positions.

The writer tweeted "sorry not sorry".

Meanwhile, the bean counters and the guys over in Marketing garnered a free publicity bonus and then snickered all the way to the bank.

I think the phrase we're looking for here is, "we got played". Hell, not only did we get played, we helped them do it to us. And then we sat back being all smug about it while covering ourselves in the cloak of righteousness.

Sure showed 'em, didn't we? Yeah, that'll teach them to mess with us, won't it?

I don't know about you but I saw a great deal of intolerance and disrespect from both sides of this alleged discussion. Along with lots and lots of name calling and finger pointing. With each side accusing the other of exactly the sort of behavior the other was gleefully engaged in. Simultaneously.

We have met the Enemy and he is us.

To paraphrase Picard, "Does anyone remember when we used to be gamers?"
    A six year old boy and his starship. Living the dream.
  • Options
    samt1996samt1996 Member Posts: 2,856 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Well he didn't say he disliked them, he said that he didn't want his Children playing content with Same sex couples as it is "Inappropriate" for children to see, insinuating that Same sex couples are in some way vulgar and obscene.

Well here we go again... My parents didn't tell me my aunt was a TRIBBLE until I was old enough to understand. They were right to do so.

/end
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    westx211 wrote: »
    Most of the player base is fine with the TRIBBLE couple in the mission.

That's an assumption. Its been VERY mixed from my perspective. I have heard enough people talking about not spending more money, or even leaving, to understand how this might not benefit anyone. Who wins the Pro or Anti LGBT side if STO is shutdown? No one.
  • Options
    edited June 2015

He has a point ^^ it was really shoehorned in for no reason at all.
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    That's an assumption. Its been VERY mixed from my perspective. I have heard enough people talking about not spending more money, or even leaving, to understand how this might not benefit anyone. Who wins the Pro or Anti LGBT side if STO is shutdown? No one.

But these are forum goers we're dealing with. Many of which don't spend enough financially to have any impact if they left. There have always been people threatening to leave and not pay money to STO and there always will be and they will always have virtually no impact if they do leave.
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    samt1996 wrote: »
    Well here we go again... My parents didn't tell me my aunt was a TRIBBLE until I was old enough to understand. They were right to do so.

/end

My aunt is TRIBBLE too and despite my parents never telling me that I figured it out when I was like 5. I have no problems with it and I wouldn't hide it from my kids that their great aunt is TRIBBLE because there's nothing wrong with it. Some girls just like other girls and some guys just like other guys that was my understanding back then and it still stands.
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    My aunt is TRIBBLE too and despite my parents never telling me that I figured it out when I was like 5. I have no problems with it and I wouldn't hide it from my kids that their great aunt is TRIBBLE because there's nothing wrong with it. Some girls just like other girls and some guys just like other guys that was my understanding back then and it still stands.

The trouble is that it inevitably involves sex, something most people don't wish to introduce young children to.

I'm also TRIBBLE so I know from whence I speak. :D
  • Options
    abaddon653abaddon653 Member Posts: 1,144 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    The episode was crude and poorly written. But, it did establish something new. The introduction of the term LGBT-wall to go alongside Pay-wall. Enjoy being forced through homosexual content if you want to advance your characters....

Obvious troll and attention ***** is obvious.
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    The trouble is that it inevitably involves sex, something most people don't wish to introduce young children to.

I'm also TRIBBLE so I know from whence I speak. :D

Oh at that age you don't have to tell them about sex. You can just tell a kid the old "Stork" story or something similar that doesn't involve sex. Despite realizing about that TRIBBLE relationship I didn't question how they had a daughter because as far as I knew at the time the parents just had to love each other to have a kid.
  • Options
    foxrockssocksfoxrockssocks Member Posts: 2,482 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    He has a point ^^ it was really shoehorned in for no reason at all.

No, his point is a ridiculous strawman argument. If you're going to argue against it, don't contrive some absurd situation that bears zero resemblance to what is going on here. It most definitely does not help your position.
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    Oh at that age you don't have to tell them about sex. You can just tell a kid the old "Stork" story or something similar that doesn't involve sex. Despite realizing about that TRIBBLE relationship I didn't question how they had a daughter because as far as I knew at the time the parents just had to love each other to have a kid.

Interesting point, but if I can avoid lying to children I would personally. I don't like deception of any kind.

In any case a parent has a right to raise their kids however they see fit, the world can do the rest.
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,366 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    At what point were you required to acknowledge anything?

A more apt comparison would be going to see the new Trek movie, seeing two young ladies holding hands outside the theater, and complaining loudly and vociferously about having "The TRIBBLE Agenda" forced upon you because they exist.

(Incidentally, I only ever knew one TRIBBLE man with an agenda. His agenda was to have the best-looking hair around; he spent quite a lot of time and money on it.)

OTOH, if I ever have to "explain" anything to my kids (doubtful, but if), it won't be something they saw in a video game. It'll probably be regarding their cousin and her wife.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    qziqzaqziqza Member Posts: 1,044 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    This topic has already been discussed at length here, but apparently it's also caught some attention elsewhere. Something to keep in mind for future reference, I guess =/

i think Roddenberry would be pleased with this little progressive push forward, especially done in such a 'non sensationalist' manner. i also think he'd be pretty pissed at some of the 'apparently' hard core trek fans responding in such a narrow minded manner. but that's life i guess, just need to keep pressing at the edges in the hopes that each new generation becomes more tolerant of diversity and less afraid of it.
    tYld1gu.gif?1
    TOS style icons used with the kind permission of irvinis.deviantart.com ©2013-2015
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    No, his point is a ridiculous strawman argument. If you're going to argue against it, don't contrive some absurd situation that bears zero resemblance to what is going on here. It most definitely does not help your position.

Actually it was a pretty good analogy, if you refuse to talk with the lesbos you can't complete the mission or any subsequent missions. Therefore forcing you to associate with them.
This discussion has been closed.