test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Well, that's unfortunate =/

Comments

• thegrandnagus1thegrandnagus1 Member Posts: 5,165 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    iconians wrote: »
    This is pretty much textbook definition of reaching for the low-hanging fruit. Instead of Massively undertaking a sincere effort to report on the real issues STO is dealing with lately and putting the spotlight on controversial business practices or things like retiring the Lohlunat Pearls and Summer Event ships... and the steps Stephen Ricossa has taken to try to help the community.

... no, we go right to the extreme non-story of a few mentally ill people getting their knickers in a twist over a superficial story detail on an NPC couple who has been in the game for years -- but nobody cares to remember "Spin the Wheel".

Massively reports on pretty much every update STO gets:

http://massivelyop.com/tag/star-trek-online/

Browse through that and you will see there are plenty of normal articles about normal updates, including but not limited to:

http://massivelyop.com/2015/05/28/star-trek-online-gets-new-featured-episode-weekly-rewards/

http://massivelyop.com/2015/05/22/captain-nog-joins-the-star-trek-online-cast/

http://massivelyop.com/2015/05/21/star-trek-online-iconian-war-featured-episode-delayed/

http://massivelyop.com/2015/05/15/star-trek-online-explains-the-big-shift-in-event-currencies/

http://massivelyop.com/2015/05/12/how-star-trek-online-constructs-its-new-pilot-ships/

http://massivelyop.com/2015/05/10/star-trek-online-interviews-voyager-veterans-and-season-10-voice-actors/

http://massivelyop.com/2015/05/04/star-trek-online-honoring-grace-lee-whitney/

And those were all THIS MONTH.

That being the case, I'm not sure if you are simply UNAWARE of that, or if you are intentionally creating a strawman argument based on a false premise. Can you please clarify so I'll know your intentions?

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • iconiansiconians Member Posts: 6,987 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Massively reports on pretty much every update STO gets:

http://massivelyop.com/tag/star-trek-online/

Browse through that and you will see there are plenty of normal articles about normal updates. That being the case, I'm not sure if you are simply UNAWARE of that, or if you are intentionally creating a strawman argument. Can you please clarify so I'll know your intentions?

They don't report on it. They regurgitate what the dev blogs already say. They don't discuss any of the controversy.

This non-issue is the only sort of legitimate reporting I've seen from Massively in regards to STO for a long time.

Again, this is reaching for the low-hanging fruit to get the maximum amount of pageclicks. Nothing more.
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • beerxhyperbeerxhyper Member Posts: 676 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    westx211 wrote: »
    Wasn't bran flakes LGBT? Everybody loved him.

it wasn't bran flakes that has a boyfriend/husband your thinkign of captnsmirk.

edited June 2015
    They don't report on it. They regurgitate what the dev blogs already say. They don't discuss any of the controversy.

Reporting is simply giving people the facts. What you want is post report commentary, which is fine, but is not the same thing as reporting. Although I can understand why you may be confused, since the majority of the "reporting" on TV these days is actually just commentary and not facts.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
    edited June 2015
    beerxhyper wrote: »

Both Smirk and Branflakes have their phasers set to fabulous. You can't swing a dead cat in San Francisco without hitting someone from the LGBT community.
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • lindalefflindaleff Member Posts: 3,734 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    You all know how much I hate anything religion-related, but in this instance, I must say something

Leviticus 20:13 specifically says, "If a man lies with a male as with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination; they shall surely be put to death; their blood is upon them."

So, basically, the bible, and religion in general, is based on Naziism?

And are we going to get rid of ALL religion, or are we going to start building Muslim churches and Satanic temples directly next to all every cathedral? Or are those religious people going to finally start abiding by their own laws? Basically, make up your minds.
    I completed a 2-man CSE, ISE, and KASE, Optionals included. And I soloed Winter Invasion.
    My Ship Builds: USS Conqueror, HMS Victorious, HMS Concord, ISS Queen Elizabeth, Black Widow III
    Click here to view my DeviantArt.
    edited June 2015
    Reporting is simply giving people the facts. What you want is post report commentary, which is fine, but is not the same thing as reporting. Although I can understand why you may be confused, since the majority of the "reporting" on TV these days is actually just commentary and not facts.

I'll make this simple.

This thing that was linked? This was not from a dev blog from PWE.

Everything else you have pointed to? Dev blogs by PWE or 'official' posts from PWE or Cryptic.

Parroting is not news.
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • nickodaemusnickodaemus Member Posts: 711 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    You can't swing a dead cat in San Francisco without hitting someone from the LGBT community.

Oh my...:cool:
  • rosetyler51rosetyler51 Member Posts: 1,631 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Well after that orange print I only have this to say about the matter.

INB4 THE LOCK!
  • fatman592fatman592 Member Posts: 1,207 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    ashkrik23 wrote: »
    Said parent can block ESD chat, said parent cannot block the actual in-mission content. Please try again.

That's a truly disappointing retort. Nothing else to say about any other point? Well, I'm game, I will try again.

Okay how about content... hmm... we have nearly naked Orions, a male NPC watching another male NPC stripper with whom we are forced to talk, we have mass killing as a regular part of gameplay, we have a gambling system built into the game, we have a Romulan mission where we may choose to torture and kill animals for no reason, we make deals with Ferengi war profiteers, we run doffing missions on the KDF side selling people into slavery without batting an eye.

And I could go on.

Again, I submit such a parent is not only failing to protect their children, but furthermore they're hypocrites and bigots.

Try again?
    edited June 2015
    I'll make this simple.

This thing that was linked? This was not from a dev blog from PWE.

Everything else you have pointed to? Dev blogs by PWE.

Parroting is not news.

I get it; they don't write the kind of articles YOU want. That's fine; you are most definitely entitled to your opinion. But here is the thing: your personal preferences or opinions do not dictate the definition of the words "report" or "news". You don't write the dictionary, so you don't get to decide what those words mean. For people who don't play this game or read dev blogs, seeing what's happening in STO via a massively article certainly is news. You don't have the like it, but again, your opinions do not decide what words mean, the dictionary does.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • ashkrik23ashkrik23 Member Posts: 10,809 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    fatman592 wrote: »
    That's a truly disappointing retort. Nothing else to say about any other point? Well, I'm game, I will try again.

Okay how about content... hmm... we have nearly naked Orions, a male NPC watching another male NPC stripper with whom we are forced to talk, we have mass killing as a regular part of gameplay, we have a gambling system built into the game, we have a Romulan mission where we may choose to torture and kill animals for no reason, we make deals with Ferengi war profiteers, we run doffing missions on the KDF side selling people into slavery without batting an eye.

And I could go on.

Again, I submit such a parent is parent is not only falling to protect their children, but furthermore they're hypocrites and bigots.

Try again?
    We would need to know the exact things through which the child plays, which we do not. I know one former fleet leader of mine only let his child played in the kid-friendly foundry missions he designed for her. This could be the case. You'll need to ask Bluegeek. But you cannot claim hypocrisy until you know the full facts. There's my retry, I await yours.
    King of Lions rawr! Protect the wildlife of the world. Check out my foundry series Perfection and Scars of the Pride. arcgames.com/en/forums#/discussion/1138650/ashkrik23s-foundry-missions
    ashkrik_by_lindale_ff-d65zc3i.png
  • theanothernametheanothername Member Posts: 1,511 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    This topic has already been discussed at length here, but apparently it's also caught some attention elsewhere. Something to keep in mind for future reference, I guess =/

Reading that article gives me the impression 90% of the community got outraged.

Its weird to see something like that cooking up for no reason.
    edited June 2015
    Reading that article gives me the impression 90% of the community got outraged.

Its weird to see something like that cooking up for no reason.

Based on what statements? Here is the exact article:
    The most recent featured episode for Star Trek Online stirred up some controversy because it’s all about TRIBBLE Klingons. By which we of course mean that there’s a TRIBBLE couple attending a fight purely as a background element without any particular attention drawn to it. Unsurprisingly, people have expressed anger at the inclusion on the game’s forums, prompting community manager LaughingTrendy to step in and point out that the couple is hardly a focal point of the episode and then step in again to keep the discussion civil rather than nasty on both sides.

The episode’s writer has opted to respond on Twitter with a simple “sorry not sorry,” so make of that what you will. Fans upset by the inclusion may wish to be reminded that while the game hasn’t shown such relationships explicitly in the past, the franchise has released several episodes over the years to establish that same-sex relationships are seen as normal and it takes extraordinary circumstances for them to be highlighted.

Nothing in that wording suggests whether it is a majority or a minority in any way. Note the words "some controversy", not "lots" or "a little". Note the word "people", not "a lot of people" or "a few people". Note the words "on both sides", not suggesting either side is bigger than the other. Nothing in that article suggests in any way how many people are being talked about. If you get an impression then that is just inserting your own opinion into the article, not anything the article actually says.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,433 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    beerxhyper wrote: »
    IIRC, one of the reasons Brandon moved where he did (and had to leave our game, sadly) was to make things more convenient for his husband.

Ashkrik, dismissing nabreeki's arguments because he's a member of Starfleet Dental is argumentum ad hominem of the worst sort. It's basically admitting you have no counter to his argument, so you're going to go straight to who he associates with.

Lindaleff, the words of Leviticus are immaterial in this context; this is not a Bible-simulation game, and the US is not a theocracy. Yet, anyway. It's about as meaningful as bringing up the dietary laws, or Leviticus' restrictions against wearing "clothing made of two kinds of cloth" (so much for cotton-wool suits), "planting two different crops in the same field" (modern crop management), or cutting the hair on the sides of your head.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • rmy1081rmy1081 Member Posts: 2,840 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Both Smirk and Branflakes have their phasers set to fabulous. You can't swing a dead cat in San Francisco without hitting someone from the LGBT community.

wow dude... My stereotype meter just broke past the red line.

you should just stop...or delete this post...or both...
    edited June 2015
    I get it; they don't write the kind of articles YOU want. But your personal preferences do not dictate the definition of "report" or "news". For people who don't play this game or read dev blogs, seeing what's happening in STO via a massively article certainly is news. So to repeat myself, yes, I get it. They don't write the way you want them to. But you also don't write the dictionary, and the dictionary says what "report" and "news" mean, not you.

If they're going to just repeat what PWE/Cryptic says, then they should just stick to doing that instead of pretending they're capable of thinking on their own and taking initiative.

It really just says a few things.

It either shows that people at Massively are absolutely clueless over current events at STO, except for what PWE/Cryptic tells them are current events. In which case they're two sentences away from just retweeting.

Or it shows they really don't care about issues STO has, and just want to score some internet points with their SJW readers.

This shouldn't surprise you, but I am very much aware of controversy with STO -- even things I may not agree with, but even I would give props to Massively for calling attention to it. The fact that they don't just show they want pageclicks.

They don't care. And for good reason. This is a non-issue nobody should care about.
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • ashkrik23ashkrik23 Member Posts: 10,809 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    jonsills wrote: »
    IIRC, one of the reasons Brandon moved where he did (and had to leave our game, sadly) was to make things more convenient for his husband.

Ashkrik, dismissing nabreeki's arguments because he's a member of Starfleet Dental is argumentum ad hominem of the worst sort. It's basically admitting you have no counter to his argument, so you're going to go straight to who he associates with.

Lindaleff, the words of Leviticus are immaterial in this context; this is not a Bible-simulation game, and the US is not a theocracy. Yet, anyway. It's about as meaningful as bringing up the dietary laws, or Leviticus' restrictions against wearing "clothing made of two kinds of cloth" (so much for cotton-wool suits), "planting two different crops in the same field" (modern crop management), or cutting the hair on the sides of your head.

I don't even have to associate Nabreeki with who he is with. I can associate his mannerisms and actions alone based on prior experience. Do try again.

This isn't liberal simulator 2015 either.
    King of Lions rawr! Protect the wildlife of the world. Check out my foundry series Perfection and Scars of the Pride. arcgames.com/en/forums#/discussion/1138650/ashkrik23s-foundry-missions
    ashkrik_by_lindale_ff-d65zc3i.png
  • pwlaughingtrendypwlaughingtrendy Member Posts: 2,966 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Oh boy oh boy! I can't wait to hand out the bans for people outright flaming each other and calling for people's heads.

Ooo! I see Godwin's law too.

I'm closing this flame-fest. Nothing like my full weekend being eaten by frantic messages re: posts about how group/person X called group/person Y a Z!
This discussion has been closed.