test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Well, that's unfortunate =/

thegrandnagus1thegrandnagus1 Member Posts: 5,165 Arc User
This topic has already been discussed at length here, but apparently it's also caught some attention elsewhere. Something to keep in mind for future reference, I guess =/

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
Post edited by thegrandnagus1 on

Comments

• Options
    thay8472thay8472 Member Posts: 6,101 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    /inb4 the second flame war.
    2gdi5w4mrudm.png
    Typhoon Class please!
  • Options
    originalspockoriginalspock Member Posts: 809 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    A fight on the forum on the internet over a known controversial topic? I'm shocked.
  • Options
    originalspockoriginalspock Member Posts: 809 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    thay8472 wrote: »

Indeed, these are game forums for fun. The debate should die.
  • Options
    virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    thay8472 wrote: »

Heh, would be the third, no? Well, recent. There was the main thread, the killed thread, and the potential for this thread...but with that second one:
    askray wrote: »
    And now we're discussing religion which never ever ends well, so I'm now going to nip this in the butt and close down this discussion.

And no, that does not mean make a new one that means this horse is dead leave it be. We get people are both happy and not happy with a TRIBBLE relationship being included in the story. Got it. Message received. Moving on now.
  • Options
    rosetyler51rosetyler51 Member Posts: 1,631 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Well I made a mistake...or a second mistake anyway
  • Options
    bobtheskull99bobtheskull99 Member Posts: 706 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    meh, their standard for what constitutes a "flame war" must be pretty low

on this board alone I've seen far far worse over much much more trivial topics
  • Options
    takegurutakeguru Member Posts: 94 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Oh that's embarrassing.

I'm kind of on an internet news thingy by extension of them linking Trendy's post

I'm like, internet famous or something.
  • Options
    samt1996samt1996 Member Posts: 2,856 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    I ain't touching it this time.

/end
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    samt1996 wrote: »
    I ain't touching it this time.

/end

But touching it is fun.

Seeing people's viewpoints, it's an enlightening experience.
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    takeguru wrote: »
    But touching it is fun.

Seeing people's viewpoints, it's an enlightening experience.

My poor naive friend... There's no such thing as enlightening, intellectual discussion on the Internet. 😓
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    samt1996 wrote: »
    My poor naive friend... There's no such thing as enlightening, intellectual discussion on the Internet. 😓

Who said it had to be intellectual?

Even watching the special needs class can be enlightening.
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    Who said it had to be intellectual?

Even watching the special needs class can be enlightening.

Good point.
  • Options
    txcavaliertxcavalier Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    The episode was crude and poorly written. But, it did establish something new. The introduction of the term LGBT-wall to go alongside Pay-wall. Enjoy being forced through homosexual content if you want to advance your characters....
  • Options
    induperatorinduperator Member Posts: 806 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    txcavalier wrote: »
    The episode was crude and poorly written. But, it did establish something new. The introduction of the term LGBT-wall to go alongside Pay-wall. Enjoy being forced through homosexual content if you want to advance your characters....

So if is was a Heterosexual couple it would be fine but a Same sex couple and its "Forced" Homosexual content?

So much for the Ideals of Star Trek, I'm disappointed in this community, I really am, I never though that this player base would have such a problem with TRIBBLE characters , not to mention some of the Devs are LGBT.
  • Options
    westx211westx211 Member Posts: 42,216 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    So if is was a Heterosexual couple it would be fine but a Same sex couple and its "Forced" Homosexual content?

So much for the Ideals of Star Trek, I'm disappointed in this community, I really am, I never though that this player base would have such a problem with TRIBBLE characters , not to mention some of the Devs are LGBT.

Wasn't bran flakes LGBT? Everybody loved him.
    Men are not punished for their sins, but by them.
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    The players are one thing, but a forum mod posting anti-TRIBBLE stuff is truly beyond the pale.

Oh ho, who posted anti-TRIBBLE stuff?

Sounds juicy.
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    Oh ho, who posted anti-TRIBBLE stuff?

Sounds juicy.

Blue geek posted something revealing he dislikes homosexuals. Also what does it mean when something is beyond the pale? This is like the first I've heard of that saying that that guy is using.
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    westx211 wrote: »
    Wasn't bran flakes LGBT? Everybody loved him.

I believe he has a Husband, I think he does anyway.
  • Options
    xenificationxenification Member Posts: 615 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    "by which we of course mean that there's a TRIBBLE couple attending a fight purely as a backgroud element without any particular attention drawn to it"

I think that line in the article is subjective.

it felt completely random and irrelevant...which made the whole thing feel forced and I think that was the problem to begin with. It just didnt seem nessasary, so when something is applied regardless of what it is at random with no real relevance or reason other than an attempt to "woo" a certain group of people...of course people would be annoyed. which unfortunately led to other problems.

Just my opinion though of course.
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    Blue geek posted something revealing he dislikes homosexuals. Also what does it mean when something is beyond the pale? This is like the first I've heard of that saying that that guy is using.

Well he didn't say he disliked them, he said that he didn't want his Children playing content with Same sex couples as it is "Inappropriate" for children to see, insinuating that Same sex couples are in some way vulgar and obscene.
  • Options
    cidjackcidjack Member Posts: 2,017 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Cryptic asked for this type of push back. Not in how the story was written, but by allowing players who shroud themselves behind a character on the internet by bullying, stating hate filled speech both on the forums and in the game with no check against it.

It is a free for all in zones and channels, while some players can degrade people for their views, orientation and nationality and skin color, reporting to GMs does not work, the ignore function is useless as players organize to personally attack another player.

Another side effect is the explosion of Gold Sellers, even reporting them to the GMs just allows Cryptic to spam generic emails to the players who's due diligence was to report them in the first place.

It is one thing to have a difference of opinion and have a frank and open discussion about it, it is another to treat someone else as a second class person based on their opinion.

In this age if Reddit has to rein in harassment with a policy change, where is Cryptic doing the same?
    Armada: Multiplying fleet projects in need of dilithium by 13."
    95bced8038c91ec6f880d510e6fd302f366a776c4c5761e5f7931d491667a45e.jpgvia Imgflip Meme Generator
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    I believe he has a Husband, I think he does anyway.

Yeah I remember one of his last posts at his job here was that he was going on vacation with his husband or something like that. I don't remember anyone complaining about him being TRIBBLE.
  • Options
    reginamala78reginamala78 Member Posts: 4,593 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Some people are just looking for a fight aren't they?

"Why do you resist? We only wish to raise the quality of life for all species."
    "I like my species the way it is!"
    "A narrow vision. You will become one with the Borg."

The Borg, or the modern tolerance movement. Just ask Brendan Eich.

*goes back to playing the STO*
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    Yeah I remember one of his last posts at his job here was that he was going on vacation with his husband or something like that. I don't remember anyone complaining about him being TRIBBLE.

Neither do I, but I don't think many people played attention, This started because a of a feature episode, something viewed by the entire playerbase.
  • Options
    chalpenchalpen Member Posts: 2,207 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    You people are an embarrassment
    Should I start posting again after all this time?
  • Options
    stonewbiestonewbie Member Posts: 1,454 Arc User
    edited June 2015

I guess some people didnt watch some of the older TNG or ToS episodes which touched on IRL events going on at the time. Kirk kissing Uhura, Chekov on the Enterprise, Sulu at the helm, Riker kissing an androgynous alien and many more. Hey why dont we just go and watch some JJ Trek? there's plenty of stuff blowing up in there and it will be in keeping with STOs theme of blowing stuff up and not being all Trek-like.
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    Some people are just looking for a fight aren't they?

"Why do you resist? We only wish to raise the quality of life for all species."
    "I like my species the way it is!"
    "A narrow vision. You will become one with the Borg."

The Borg, or the modern tolerance movement. Just ask Brendan Eich.

*goes back to playing the STO*

So the Borg are who?

The Homophobic commenters or the Anti Homophobic comenters?
This discussion has been closed.