What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

What PWE is telling us by less words and more actions

Comments

• Options
    qrtrmstrqrtrmstr Member Posts: 139 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Well i have zero knowledge about economy and how it works so can you please explain how PWE lost russian market? I'm russian and I've bought 12k zen like 2-3 weeks ago with no problem. They even had their prices in russian roubles. That just doesn't look like they lost anything.

If Perfect World is letting Russians play the game, they're not supposed to be. When Putin decided to invade the Ukraine and annex Chrimea, the EU, UN and U.S. Placed sanctions on Russia, nobody is supposed to be conducting ANY business with the country right now, which is why that entire team got let go. Of course PWE is a Chinese company and don't honor these agreements so who really knows, but they did axe the entire Russian team

http://massivelyop.com/2015/03/31/perfect-world-suffers-more-layoffs-this-time-in-the-eu/
  • Options
    jorantomalakjorantomalak Member Posts: 7,133 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    *yawns*

Kriffing hell a DOOM thread? :eek:

DOOOOOOOOM!!!!!!! i say the end is nigh DOOOOOOM!!!

In before thread closure :D
  • Options
    virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    qrtrmstr wrote: »
    If Perfect World is letting Russians play the game, they're not supposed to be. When Putin decided to invade the Ukraine and annex Chrimea, the EU, UN and U.S. Placed sanctions on Russia, nobody is supposed to be conducting ANY business with the country right now, which is why that entire team got let go.

http://massivelyop.com/2015/03/31/perfect-world-suffers-more-layoffs-this-time-in-the-eu/

Have you ever considered a news source other than Derpily? You know...to go out there and actually read about the sanctions? Just saying...like I said earlier...from funny to tedious pretty fast. /yawn
  • Options
    mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    But, but, but...I was hoping there was going to be a follow up post where the guys boarded a shuttle, flew to the incoming asteroid, and saved Cryptic! Without any of the deaths or anything like that...maybe some bruises and a sprained ankle.

ifyou got a point to make, get around to it. all i see is spam and troll bait.
    No that's for the mods or Trendy to decide when they get around to reviewing this thread.

suggest you restrain yourself from further insights.
    *yawns*

Kriffing hell a DOOM thread? :eek:

DOOOOOOOOM!!!!!!! i say the end is nigh DOOOOOOM!!!

In before thread closure :D

Repent! the end of is Nigh! - Batarian preacher, Omega. :D
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • Options
    aelfwin1aelfwin1 Member Posts: 2,896 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    I have met the team for STO, well the old team, and there were...6 if I remember right back in 2013, but when this went down is was 5 I think, 5 to 4 is about 18% if you include Bran .

No offense , but I think you're drawing conclusions from the number of representatives Cryptic sent to a convention -- which has no real relationship with the numbers of ppl working in their studio .
    Cryptic & STO specifically , have more Devs then the ones you saw up on the stage .

But for fairness sake, you can always go and bug Trendy or the Priority 1 cast (for them to ask Geko) as to the number of folks on STO at the moment .
    No that's for the mods or Trendy to decide when they get around to reviewing this thread.

Fair enough .

... as long as the Doooooom cryers remember that as well, which I doubt ...
  • Options
    talonxvtalonxv Member Posts: 4,257 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    If the game dies, it dies. It's the fate of all games to do so.
    afMSv4g.jpg
    Star Trek Battles member. Want to roll with a good group of people regardless of fleets and not have to worry about DPS while doing STFs? Come join the channel and join in the fun!

http://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1145998/star-trek-battles-channel-got-canon/p1
  • Options
    talonxvtalonxv Member Posts: 4,257 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    reyan01 wrote: »
    The only thing I'll say on this matter is that Iconians once made a good point regarding this.
    They do sometimes have a habit of taking actions to stop players from doing something instead of looking at WHY players were doing that thing.

Throw a rock at a gaming company and they do this. An industry standard. Least imho.
    afMSv4g.jpg
    Star Trek Battles member. Want to roll with a good group of people regardless of fleets and not have to worry about DPS while doing STFs? Come join the channel and join in the fun!

http://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1145998/star-trek-battles-channel-got-canon/p1
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    reyan01 wrote: »
    The only thing I'll say on this matter is that Iconians once made a good point regarding this.
    They do sometimes have a habit of taking actions to stop players from doing something instead of looking at WHY players were doing that thing.
    Yes and no. Sometimes the "reason" is something as simplistic as players want the most reward for the least effort.

Why did certain patrols get played more than others? people calculated the amount of xp they got from each one and decided some were better....
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    walshicuswalshicus Member Posts: 1,314 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    When we stop seeing Trek actors in the game... Then you can worry. All the time they're bringing the cast back, you know they're making enough to justify continued expansion of the content available to us.
    http://mmo-economics.com - analysing the economic interactions in MMOs.
  • Options
    lucianazetalucianazeta Member Posts: 740 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    walshicus wrote: »
    When we stop seeing Trek actors in the game... Then you can worry. All the time they're bringing the cast back, you know they're making enough to justify continued expansion of the content available to us.

I have to agree with this.

When the Trek actors stop coming, -then- you can worry, some people may have the rather unrealistic view that these actors are doing it purely out of their love for Star Trek (and thus, for free), and I'm sure it is part of the reason for lending their voices to STO, but they sure as hell aren't doing it for free.

Time they spent on STO, is likely time not spent on other projects for most of them.
    STO%20Sig.png~original
  • Options
    mackbolan01mackbolan01 Member Posts: 580 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    hehehe.... in before the lock........

and i DON'T see anything bad happening to STO with the 50th anniversary coming up...........
  • Options
    chandlerasharichandlerashari Member Posts: 348 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    It's a big deal to me...I love this game...it kills me what's happened. I am glad PWE breathed life into it and I am holding out hope that another publisher sees the name, the potential just the name alone carries, and will buy it and secure a new deal with CBS and turn things around.

i was like you once, but at this point its just a game man, pw gon do what pw does, Star Trek is bigger than Star Trek Online.

yea im a lifetimer too, i had fun with 9 alts when that was viable to do at endgame, but with the new systems i lost my fun...

Which i found in another game (which is also goin down the bloated systems path as well : / )

Its just a game man is what im sayin.
  • Options
    imruinedimruined Member Posts: 1,457 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Little more than alot of (paranoid) speculation, even downright assumption, based on some pretty flimsy and unsubstantiated evidence, much of which is anecdotal or outright supposition in of itself...

But this is the kicker...
    ... the facts I put up are FACTS, Google them if you don't believe me. I will be honest that we all can really only speculate at actual numbers because Cryptic won't reveal login info ...

If you're going to make such wild declarations and expect people to take you seriously, rather than telling people to go and find your evidence upon which your speculations are based, you really should have included links citing your proof that PWE (and Cryptic) are on the verge of collapse...

I can remember being told not to waste my money by buying a Life Time Sub a couple years back, as people were adamant that STO would be shutdown 'within months' (you refer to STO's days being numbered in the hundreds) yet some 2-3 years on, it's still going...

While Cryptic are releasing new content at a fairly consistent pace, not to mention hiring actual Star Trek actors to reprise their roles, speculation about STO's demise is probably a little premature IMO...
    The entitlement is strong in these forums...

not_funny_Q_shadows_small.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    walshicus wrote: »

STIS had Rene and Nana from DS9 and yet it still sank and so thats a weaksauce arguement. if it can happen there, it can happen here. chances like that always exist but i couldnt help heaping more logs on the fire :D.
  • Options
    yreodredyreodred Member Posts: 3,527 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    I'd rather see less actors and more people fixing bugs thb.
    "...'With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured...the first thought forbidden...the first freedom denied--chains us all irrevocably.' ... The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged. I fear that today--" - (TNG) Picard, quoting Judge Aaron Satie

A tale of two Picards
    (also applies to Star Trek in general)
  • Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    STIS had Rene and Nana from DS9 and yet it still sank and so thats a weaksauce arguement. if it can happen there, it can happen here. chances like that always exist but i couldnt help heaping more logs on the fire :D.

I think the point is - as long as STO is hiring voice actors - and not just any, but Star Trek alumni actors - the game can't be bad off. It's easily an expensive feature that would get cut before as the game starts getting less profitable (or unprofitable.)
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    I think the point is - as long as STO is hiring voice actors - and not just any, but Star Trek alumni actors - the game can't be bad off. It's easily an expensive feature that would get cut before as the game starts getting less profitable (or unprofitable.)

This pretty much...

While there's room in the budget to hire known Star Trek actors, Cryptic's bottom line would presumably be relatively strong, as it's a feature that could easily be cut in order to reign in the budget, if things were indeed in bad shape as the doomsayers love to try and demonstrate...

• Options
    rikwesselsrikwessels Member Posts: 367 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    first: let's not ridicule the OP .I was around when Tabula Rasa got axed and two weeks prior to that announcement , devs posted in forums "everything was peachy and we're not shutting down anytime soon " . But then : they didn't know themselves management was going to sack the lot ...

What I'm more curious about is te franchise . There's no way that STO would be the final MMO based on that ( even if it were to fold I'm pretty sure some company would take over the franchise and either continue with STO or make a new one ...it's in the best interest of CBS to ensure that happens and they have a LOT of cash)
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    edalgo wrote: »
    The sooner STO ends the sooner STE can get the license from CBS and proper funding.

Star Trek what?

• Options
    edited May 2015
    imruined wrote: »
    This pretty much...

While there's room in the budget to hire known Star Trek actors, Cryptic's bottom line would presumably be relatively strong, as it's a feature that could easily be cut in order to reign in the budget, if things were indeed in bad shape as the doomsayers love to try and demonstrate...

they added an entire "Earth "map to Tabula Rasa mere months before closure ( talk about resources ) , what they add doesn't really tell you a lot .You can even have a profitable game with healthy population : if you are part of a larger comny they simply use the adding machine ...which game shows least profit ? Pull the plug !

City of Heroes was making a sizable profit and had healthy population as well . Didnt matter at all, because it was part of NCsoft and they simply concluded it was making the least profit of the bunch.
  • Options
    kitsunesnoutkitsunesnout Member Posts: 1,210 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    The sooner STO ends the sooner STE can get the license from CBS and proper funding.

We'd better hope STO lasts as long as it can if we ever want to see more proper Star Trek games down the line, if they see this fail sooner rather than later, they might think Star Trek is a bad investment in gaming market.
  • Options
    nightkennightken Member Posts: 2,824 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Anyone else feel more sure of the game when there is an active doom thread .

Also what do people get out of making doom threads.

cryptic I keep saying crazy person robes and end is neigh signs, it would sell.
    We'd better hope STO lasts as long as it can if we ever want to see more proper Star Trek games down the line, if they see this fail sooner rather than later, they might think Star Trek is a bad investment in gaming market.

It is a terrible investment, sure you'll make a little money but it'll destroy your rep faster then you can say "make it so."

if I stop posting it doesn't make you right it. just means I don't have enough rum to continue interacting with you.
  • Options
    aelfwin1aelfwin1 Member Posts: 2,896 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    I'm looking forward to Cryptic's next poll :

* Would you like more voice actors ?

* Would you like less voice actors but more FE's & missions ?

* Would you like less voice actors but more bug fixes ?

... yeah, this'll never happen ...
  • Options
    edited May 2015

CBS won't let that happen , look at how much Lucasarts invested in SWToR : it's in the interest of companies owning the franchise to have these games exist
  • Options
    thecosmic1thecosmic1 Member Posts: 9,365 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    PWE announces to share holders, annual profits tanked for net loss of over 50% for all of 2014.
    I do not believe I have actually seen a post with more inaccurate information in it. I am not even going to bother to go paragraph-by-paragraph because it would be pointless. I would just ask if you are aware that PW posted their 2014 Annual Report about a month ago?

A few breakdowns from that report:

Online Gaming Revenues, 2013: $462.5 million
    Online Gaming Revenues, 2014: $579.8 million

Gross Profits, 2013: $386.7 million
    Gross Profits, 2014: $439.5 million

Net Income, 2013: $89.8 million
    Net Income, 2014: $73.4 million

Yes, PW made $16 million less in 2014, but all of that was attributed to Cost of Revenue and Operating Expenses rather then decrease in sales. As you can see the Gaming Revenues are up 25% over last year. PW created 2 new Divisions last year and initiated a profit-sharing program - both of which ate into profits. That does not account for all 16 million, but I will point out again that Gaming Revenues are up, not down.

There is also a much bigger picture going on in that PW's Shareholders are about to take a vote on the buy-back offer. From a business standpoint it works to PW's advantage if the Shareholders feel the company is not doing as well when they take the vote. If PW can broadcast layoffs and a drop in profits the Shareholders are more inclined to take the $20.20 offer.

I understand that you love Star Trek and want STO to be a different type of game but STO is a small fraction of PW. STO is not PW's biggest game - though it might now be PWE's biggest game, but PWE is a small part of PW. What happens with STO does not shake the foundation of PW. The fact that PW shows a decrease in Net Income does not mean STO had a decrease in Net Income.

The STO license lasts into 2018. At that point PW will decide if the Revenues are worth the License Fees that CBS wants for renewal. But at this point the game is what it is. It is not going to change. So you can accept it for what it is or you can make yourself crazy. Your OP makes it look like you are going the crazy route. :)
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
  • Options
    thecosmic1thecosmic1 Member Posts: 9,365 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    The existence of STO does not stop CBS from offering MMO licenses to other Publishers. Since STO has been out CBS has sold MMO licenses to GameForge (Star Trek: Infinite Space) and GameSamba (Star Trek: Alien Domain). STO does not need to end for the STE game you seem to want. Someone simply needs to be willing to pay CBS for the license.
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    imruined wrote: »
    This pretty much...

two assumptions in one go. i would like to see where this goes and how far down you dig.
  • Options
    lowy1lowy1 Member Posts: 964 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    You don't hire celebrities for voice acting if you're in Maintenance Mode.
    HzLLhLB.gif

• Options
    robyvisionrobyvision Member Posts: 293 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    I don't like playing browser games. so I want STO to last as long as possible.:)
This discussion has been closed.