test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

why is the exchange so cruel :(

jim625jim625 Member Posts: 907 Arc User
All I wanted is to get is a photonic science officer for my delta recruit but noooo the players have to make everything so rediculously overpriced that I can't even afford and if I do ever make that amount it will just dissapper it's so annoying I just wish cryptic could just put it in the lobi store:(

and before you ask I'm collecting some photonic officers for my delta recruit bridge crew so far I only have a engineer photonic officer and may get a tactical officer later after I get the science officer
Post edited by jim625 on

Comments

• Options
    samt1996samt1996 Member Posts: 2,856 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    jim625 wrote: »
    All I wanted is to get is a photonic science officer for my delta recruit but noooo the players have to make everything so rediculously overpriced that I can't even afford and if I do ever make that amount it will just dissapper it's so annoying I just wish cryptic could just put it in the lobi store:(

and before you ask I'm collecting some photonic officers for my delta recruit bridge crew so far I only have a engineer photonic officer and may get a tactical officer later after I get the science officer

*Sigh*

It's like you entitled morons have never heard of Capitalism. When something is rare it becomes very expensive and Photonic scientists are VERY rare.

/end
  • Options
    lingeringsoul888lingeringsoul888 Member Posts: 509 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    does the rare photonic scientist do anything special? Or is it just rare because it is?
  • Options
    cptjhuntercptjhunter Member Posts: 2,288 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    If you can't afford it. Your not grinding enough. Sell some lockbox keys for it ,you cheapskate.:rolleyes:
  • Options
    phalanx01phalanx01 Member Posts: 360 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Hmm... this comes to mind: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u4ctqGUSYZ0
  • Options
    realisticaltyrealisticalty Member Posts: 851 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    samt1996 wrote: »
    *Sigh*

It's like you entitled morons have never heard of Capitalism. When something is rare it becomes very expensive and Photonic scientists are VERY rare.

/end

Should any player be "entitled" to unbridled free markets despite whether it works for or against the well being of the gaming public at large? Should we be required to pay homage to manufactured rarity simply to maintain the illusion that an incomplete in-game system is complete?

How 'bout an in-game "safety net" for the in-game needy? Maybe we could start charging "zen taxes" and players who can demonstrate need can apply for in-game assistance?

(Happy holiday and unofficial start of summer to those in the USA.)
  • Options
    thunderfoot#5163 thunderfoot Member Posts: 4,540 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    samt1996 wrote: »
    *Sigh*

/end

Posts the guy whose forum title clearly indicates he is an F2Per. Shouldn't throw stones. Glass houses and all that.

Although, this is the very time I've ever seen someone Uncle Tom it in a video game. Bonus Points for that.

The Exchange is run by players. Who place more value on the lease of a pixelated construct than it deserves. Because other players are fools who will gladly separate themselves from their money, either Real or imagined, as quickly as possible.

Want prices on the Exchange to come down quickly? Stop buying stuff from it. Most of these items which are 'ridiculously expensive' can be had within the game. Provided a player puts in enough time. All one need do is control the 'Want-It-NAOW!' impulse which resides inside all of us.
    A six year old boy and his starship. Living the dream.
  • Options
    woodwhitywoodwhity Member Posts: 2,636 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Serves you right for wanting a second-class BO ;)

Posts the guy whose forum title clearly indicates he is an F2Per. Shouldn't throw stones. Glass houses and all that.

Careful here, a F2Per could have spend more money than a veteran.
  • Options
    thunderfoot#5163 thunderfoot Member Posts: 4,540 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    woodwhity wrote: »

I am and I have. Probably.
    A six year old boy and his starship. Living the dream.
  • Options
    praxi5praxi5 Member Posts: 1,562 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    While the STO fanbase does it's typical... thing, here are some suggestions, OP.
    1. If you have not yet purchased the higher EC cap, please do so. It's well worth it.
    2. Instead of Right Click -> Discarding items, sell them to Vendors. If they are of decent rarity, check the Exchange to see if that will net you a higher price
    3. After opening reward RnD boxes, see what materials you got. You can sell a lot of them for a nice bit. For example, Salvaged Technology sells for about 350,000 on the Exchange.
    4. Either buy Zen or get a good chunk of Dil and convert it into Zen. Buy and then flip C-Store items on the Exchange, like RnD boxes, DOff packs (not the best choice, but doable), and Master Keys.
  • Options
    cidjackcidjack Member Posts: 2,017 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    does the rare photonic scientist do anything special? Or is it just rare because it is?

I am wondering that too. I had one of these science one drop for my delta toon and turned it into a training manual.
    Armada: Multiplying fleet projects in need of dilithium by 13."
    95bced8038c91ec6f880d510e6fd302f366a776c4c5761e5f7931d491667a45e.jpgvia Imgflip Meme Generator
  • Options
    berginsbergins Member Posts: 3,453 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    cidjack wrote: »
    I am wondering that too. I had one of these science one drop for my delta toon and turned it into a training manual.

The Photonic Science Officers don't just drop, they were rewards a long time ago, thus the rarity.

If you somehow DID get a Photonic Sci BOff to drop somehow, you lost tens of millions of EC if you fed it to the grinder...
    "Logic is a little tweeting bird chirping in a meadow. Logic is a wreath of pretty flowers which smell BAD." - Spock
  • Options
    cidjackcidjack Member Posts: 2,017 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    bergins wrote: »
    The Photonic Science Officers don't just drop, they were rewards a long time ago, thus the rarity.

If you somehow DID get a Photonic Sci BOff to drop somehow, you lost tens of millions of EC if you fed it to the grinder...

10 million here, 10 million there, it is only a game.
    Armada: Multiplying fleet projects in need of dilithium by 13."
    95bced8038c91ec6f880d510e6fd302f366a776c4c5761e5f7931d491667a45e.jpgvia Imgflip Meme Generator
  • Options
    tekehdtekehd Member Posts: 2,032 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Should any player be "entitled" to unbridled free markets despite whether it works for or against the well being of the gaming public at large? Should we be required to pay homage to manufactured rarity simply to maintain the illusion that an incomplete in-game system is complete?

How 'bout an in-game "safety net" for the in-game needy? Maybe we could start charging "zen taxes" and players who can demonstrate need can apply for in-game assistance?

(Happy holiday and unofficial start of summer to those in the USA.)

You need a "safety net" for luxury items?
  • Options
    scarlingscarling Member Posts: 708 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    woodwhity wrote: »

Most definitely. The only thing a membership offers to me personally is the allowance in Zen. But still it just doesn't entice me enough to want to pay a large sum of money. I'd rather pick and choose whats important to me over time. And I have plenty of ships, services, and outfits to show for it. ;)
  • Options
    garaks31garaks31 Member Posts: 2,845 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    i have the sci and tac but use them rarely .my standart away team is android ,hierarchy ,photonic eng and aenar
  • Options
    bobbydazlersbobbydazlers Member Posts: 4,534 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    be honest if you had some ultra rare item you didn't want would you not want to get the best possible price for it on the exchange you could, I`m sure you would not give two hoots if some other player really wanted it but could not afford the price.

When I think about everything we've been through together,

maybe it's not the destination that matters, maybe it's the journey,

and if that journey takes a little longer,

so we can do something we all believe in,

I can't think of any place I'd rather be or any people I'd rather be with.

• Options
    samt1996samt1996 Member Posts: 2,856 Arc User
    edited May 2015

Although, this is the very time I've ever seen someone Uncle Tom it in a video game. Bonus Points for that.

The Exchange is run by players. Who place more value on the lease of a pixelated construct than it deserves. Because other players are fools who will gladly separate themselves from their money, either Real or imagined, as quickly as possible.

Want prices on the Exchange to come down quickly? Stop buying stuff from it. Most of these items which are 'ridiculously expensive' can be had within the game. Provided a player puts in enough time. All one need do is control the 'Want-It-NAOW!' impulse which resides inside all of us.

So, because I'm F2P (now) I haven't spent anything on the game?

http://youtu.be/lhckuhUxcgA

If people own a rare item they can sell it to whoever will pay for it... People spend 100,000 dollars on classic cars which aren't worth that much in material cost and are vastly outdated in technology. Why? Because they're rare and people like to own/ collect rare ****. Doesn't mean it should be handed to you on a silver plater. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    tigercatgirltigercatgirl Member Posts: 108 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Are we actually talking about the boff you get for a delta toon? I thought they are useless!...they are a very rare bridge officer with a basic trait and on top of it every one I got had kit powers and boffs cannot use kits yet.
  • Options
    seriousdaveseriousdave Member Posts: 2,777 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Are we actually talking about the boff you get for a delta toon? I thought they are useless!...they are a very rare bridge officer with a basic trait and on top of it every one I got had kit powers and boffs cannot use kits yet.

The photonic boff we got from the delta event was an engineer which can also be claimed with every current & future character account wide. So there really isn't a shortage on them.
    The photonic tac can always be purchased from the lobi store, so again no shortage there.

The photonic sci guy was a reward for the refferal program which is defunct for years by now and he is the one and only source for the elusive skill "Photonic Officer III". That's why he's got such a price tag attached to him, he really is a rare & very limited item.
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    The photonic boff we got from the delta event was an engineer which can also be claimed with every current & future character account wide. So there really isn't a shortage on them.
    The photonic tac can always be purchased from the lobi store, so again no shortage there.

The photonic sci guy was a reward for the refferal program which is defunct for years by now and he is the one and only source for the elusive skill "Photonic Officer III". That's why he's got such a price tag attached to him, he really is a rare & very limited item.
    The referral program wasn't the only source. the holiday gift boxes from the first winter event also had him.

Yeah it's that old... and they aren't making more of them apparently.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    warmaker001bwarmaker001b Member Posts: 9,205 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    The Science Photonic Officer BOFF with Photonic Officer III is just not worth it. Not for those prices. The prices are like that not because of how wonderful the BOFF and PO3 is, but due to rarity as the 2 previous posters brought up. It's also what people can get away with on the exchange :cool:

If you're chasing it for PO3, not worth it. Photonic Officer BOFF ability is questionable in utility and is a hard sell to give up valuable Science Skill slots on a ship. Not for the ranks I-III go for. It starts at Lt and ends at Cmdr. I'd have to be TRIBBLE to sacrifice TR3, GW3, TBR3, or ES3 for Photonic Officer III.
    XzRTofz.gif
  • Options
    seriousdaveseriousdave Member Posts: 2,777 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Since the (lack of) usefullnes was brought up, did anybody ever use PO 1 or 2? :confused:
    I swear I have not met anybody who actually slotted that skill in years.
  • Options
    senatorvreenaksenatorvreenak Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Since the (lack of) usefullnes was brought up, did anybody ever use PO 1 or 2? :confused:

I use PO1 as a core component of my 30k Engineer T6 Intrepid build.
  • Options
    warmaker001bwarmaker001b Member Posts: 9,205 Arc User
    edited May 2015

It's been years since I used any Photonic Officer BOFF abilities. Maybe 2 years ago now. Sometime around that era, there were threads tossing about Photonic Officer based builds as a form of "A2B" without nuking your Aux Power.

I remember trying it out. PO1 & PO2. An old, unwise Elite Fleet Deflector purchase from long ago for the SCICDR mod. I remember the House of Beautiful player sending me the SB invite warning me about the futility of that deflector but I was a dumbass and went through with it anyways. Oh well...

PO does what it says it does. However, there was a very bad side effect last I tried it long ago: Once PO buff wears off, abilities get reset back to their old, long CDs. That alone made me quit PO builds. Not sure if it's exactly the same way today. Again, this was maybe 2 years ago.

Considering that PO costs Lt thru Cmdr rank SCI BOFF slots and there are some very nice ones in those ranks, it's just not worth it, IMO.
    XzRTofz.gif
  • Options
    hyperionx09hyperionx09 Member Posts: 1,709 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    PO1 and 2 have some utility again thanks to AHOD trait and the Delta Rep Console; if you've nothing better to use in their places. Moreso if you have the Temporal Negotiator device, and/or Reciprocity and are a Tac (Tac has the CD reduction ability, and Reciprocity works well with AHOD every 5-6 seconds).

Brought down GW and other high CD abilities down to practically global.

I'll admit though; Photonic Officer could use a bit of CD reduction on its own, or instead of just granting CD reduction based on a %, temporarily reduce Global CD for all abilities by a certain %; greater in notable difference for Sci skills.

For example; Gravity Well has a GCD of 40 seconds. PO1 would reduce its Global CD to around 30. PO2 would reduce the GCD to around 25. And PO3 would reduce the GCD to around 20, or something; allowing for those who still double-up on skills (GW1 and 3) can get more uptime (though with more focus on Sci skills; allowing them to at least fire off another GW before the first fades).

Would allow Science builds to double-up (such as GW3 and GW1 with a PO2 slotted), or allow builds with other CD reduction capabilities to simply reach a lower GCD faster.

It's just a rough idea, but one that would make Photonic Officer abilities somewhat worthwhile in the meta where we already have enough regular CD reduction abilities, esp. since it has a 2-3minute CD but a 60 second duration (long enough to allow for 2-4 near-continuous uptime of some skills, depending on build).
  • Options
    dpsloss88dpsloss88 Member Posts: 765 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    The exchange touches the real world. The real world is cruelty... Ergo the exchange is cruel...
  • Options
    huntorhuntor Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Those new boff abilities doubled if not quadrupled in price in the last few days.

Greed is eternal!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    dpsloss88dpsloss88 Member Posts: 765 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    cidjack wrote: »
    10 million here, 10 million there, it is only a game.

Yeah, being hasty clicking exchange sales is risky. I sold a JHAS for 47 million credits making a decimal place error.... Even though I tried to cancel immediately there are enough scavangers prowling the exchange that it was sold in less than 4 seconds...
  • Options
    ssbn655ssbn655 Member Posts: 1,894 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    dpsloss88 wrote: »
    Yeah, being hasty clicking exchange sales is risky. I sold a JHAS for 47 million credits making a decimal place error.... Even though I tried to cancel immediately there are enough scavangers prowling the exchange that it was sold in less than 4 seconds...

So you got a more realistic payment for it more then likely from a person who could actually use it to become a better player. My heart bleeds for you.