test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

why is the exchange so cruel :(

2»

Comments

• samt1996samt1996 Member Posts: 2,856 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    People will only pay a certain amount for an item. Some extremely wealthy people have tried to corner the market and buy up all of one item but it doesn't work because most players aren't stupid and realize the price should be lower. The market balances itself out just fine.
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,236 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    ssbn655 wrote: »
    So you got a more realistic payment for it more then likely from a person who could actually use it to become a better player. My heart bleeds for you.
    It was more likely bought by a scalper who resold it for a profit of several hundred million.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • jim625jim625 Member Posts: 907 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    was able to get one at last for about 125mill ec which was the lowest I can find in the exchange and it wasn't easy ^^;:o
  • benben500benben500 Member Posts: 112 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Weren't you that guy who made a post a while ago about how you thought the price was unfair and suggested that it be the next reward from the mirror event?
    "Bloody explorers, ponce off to Mumbo Jumbo land, come home with a tropical disease, a suntan and a bag of brown lumpy things, and Bob's your uncle, everyone's got a picture of them in the lavatory."
    -Edmund Blackadder-
  • linyivelinyive Member Posts: 1,086 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    samt1996 wrote: »
    *Sigh*

It's like you entitled morons have never heard of Capitalism. When something is rare it becomes very expensive and Photonic scientists are VERY rare.

/end

It's like you don't know the mechanisms behind Capitalism. When the stock-exchange becomes unstable, overvalued or undervalued, the system has mechanics in place to control prices. Federal governments influence markets through: interest rate manipulation, defense spending, adjusting taxes, setting bond prices, currency valuations, social program expansion or reduction, etc...

Capitalism has mechanisms in place in which are used to fight off inflation, deficits, and deflation.

Within the United States, we also have laws against monopolies.

Capitalism does not necessarily run wild.

Some Examples:

Federal government says "we will keep interest rates down' = stocks rise.

Federal government says "we are going to raise interest rates' = stocks slowdown.

President says "we are going to war" = stock prices shift in favor of R&D defense contractors.

President says "we are going to expand health insurance" = stocks shift in favor of the health insurance and research industries.

'Star Trek: Online' doesn't have anything in place, which will influence players to lower the ec-exchange prices. Even though they can manipulate the zen-exchange, Cryptic doesn't care enough to influence the ec-exchange.

If I were in Cryptic's position, I would have flooded the exchange with below level 50 items. I would flood the system with all types of common, rare, very rare, and ultra rare items.

Cryptic's new R&D mechanic is working too slowly.
  • otisnobleotisnoble Member Posts: 1,290 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Some plsyers stockpile an item and then flood the market at a lower rate wich causes those who have large amounts of that item at a higher rate to move all their high price items to a lowr rate still (Like the contraban market). Of cource high demand items or rare items are still going to be high in price but that is life.
    Fleet Admiral Stephen
  • jim625jim625 Member Posts: 907 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Every body seems to be selling a lot of them in the exchange today and they where almost the same price but still very expensive
  • mainamaina Member Posts: 430 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    garaks31 wrote: »
    i have the sci and tac but use them rarely .my standart away team is android ,hierarchy ,photonic eng and aenar

All mine are green and barely dressed.

Hell, I have more scantily dressed Orion BO's than I can fit into a landing party. The photonics, androids, hierarchy, veteran, caitian, aenar, jem, breen, kobali, etc, etc, etc..... are just more BO slots.......

Edit. Why does capitalism work? Because someone WILL pay your price. That is the only truth.
    gHF1ABR.jpg
  • berginsbergins Member Posts: 3,453 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    linyive wrote: »
    It's like you don't know the mechanisms behind Capitalism. When the stock-exchange becomes unstable, overvalued or undervalued, the system has mechanics in place to control prices. Federal governments influence markets through: interest rate manipulation, defense spending, adjusting taxes, setting bond prices, currency valuations, social program expansion or reduction, etc...

Capitalism has mechanisms in place in which are used to fight off inflation, deficits, and deflation.

Within the United States, we also have laws against monopolies.

Capitalism does not necessarily run wild.

Some Examples:

Federal government says "we will keep interest rates down' = stocks rise.

Federal government says "we are going to raise interest rates' = stocks slowdown.

President says "we are going to war" = stock prices shift in favor of R&D defense contractors.

President says "we are going to expand health insurance" = stocks shift in favor of the health insurance and research industries.
    All you are describing here is how the government can influence rarity (or perception of it). It is still capitalism as described by samt1996, just on a bigger scale.
    'Star Trek: Online' doesn't have anything in place, which will influence players to lower the ec-exchange prices. Even though they can manipulate the zen-exchange, Cryptic doesn't care enough to influence the ec-exchange.
    Governments influence markets because to not do so will tank their economy, which will hurt not only their people, but national security, in the end. STO looses nothing by having an overinflated exchange, in fact, players are more likely to spend real money on the game in an attempt to get that out-of-reach-item on the exchange.
    If I were in Cryptic's position, I would have flooded the exchange with below level 50 items. I would flood the system with all types of common, rare, very rare, and ultra rare items.

Cryptic's new R&D mechanic is working too slowly.
    Well, I'm glad you are not in Cryptic's position.
    "Logic is a little tweeting bird chirping in a meadow. Logic is a wreath of pretty flowers which smell BAD." - Spock
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Posts the guy whose forum title clearly indicates he is an F2Per.

Yes because F2P players never spend money on the game... oh wait.
  • jerichoredoranjerichoredoran Member Posts: 195 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    The only fair price is the market price, since its the price that both buyer and seller agree to pay.

If one side didn't agree, it wouldn't be fair.

With the assumption there is no other constraint e.g. a seller that has the sell/buyer that has to buy no matter what they agree or not. But this is not a problem in STO.
  • bobs1111bobs1111 Member Posts: 471 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Not to state the stupidly obvious... however if the op would rather pay for them in Lobi.

Why not just sell the keys / packs they are buying with $ and trade the EC for the thing they want ?

Seems like a massive logic failure on there part.
  • berginsbergins Member Posts: 3,453 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    huskerklg wrote: »
    Posts the guy whose forum title clearly indicates he is an F2Per. Shouldn't throw stones. Glass houses and all that.

Yes because F2P players never spend money on the game... oh wait.
    ...Not to mention their forum title only shows how many posts they have made, nothing to do with being FTP. I have a LTS, but I choose not to use a special title, partly because of the elitism the special titles can foster.
    "Logic is a little tweeting bird chirping in a meadow. Logic is a wreath of pretty flowers which smell BAD." - Spock
  • hfmuddhfmudd Member Posts: 881 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    You want a thing.
    Lots of other people also want that thing.
    People who have that thing realize they can sell it for a lot of credits.

It's not complicated, and I'm often amazed at how many people still don't seem to understand it.