test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Retiring Lohlunat Pearls

Comments

• nobody0806nobody0806 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    abaddon653 wrote: »
    Great all these thread merged into a massive 132 page topic. Now I can't even find my comment to continue the conversation I was having.

Well Gues why it has 132 Pages now? As Long as the Last Issue (Retiring Old Ships) is NOT Solved, People Including me will go on, and it will be more and more Pages....we are Gratefull for the Account Wide Unlock for Players who allready own the Old Ships, BUT we are not Sellfish, so we want Newcommer and everyone else who did not get those Ships yet also to have the Chance to do so.:rolleyes:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    but it was one that we needed to make to maintain the integrity of this event and these ships.

To claim this has anything to do with this is a complete and utter smokescreen. There is no outcry from the players about this.
    It turned out the change we made to make earning the ships more alt friendly had completely trivialized play of the events. Players could earn currency on all of their alts in one year, and then spend the currency from a single character every year to get the ship immediately. While some few players would then re-run the event on the character that spent their currency, the vast majority wouldn’t. Again, this meant participation was down while rewards were still earned at the same rate.

Your fix doesn't address this. All you had to do is retire the currency and not the ships. Then people could pick what ship they wanted to use it for.

For example, say this year you put in a carrier. Well I don't want a carrier, but I missed out on last years because I was on vacation, and I want that one. So I queue up last years ship instead.

See, currency still retired, problem in your blurb solved, and past ships still able to be earned. That simple.

But what you do, going beyond that simple fix is again a pure money grab.
    We will be making every event ship you’ve ever earned and every event ship moving forward total account unlocks.

Again that doesn't address the issue people have with this. The retiring of past ships for no reason.
  • phreskophresko Member Posts: 56 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    For the last four weeks I was thinking I would get that cruise ship for my Delta Recruit, but since I didn't participate last summer on my main I'm SOL? That really sucks.
  • takegurutakeguru Member Posts: 94 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    phresko wrote: »
    For the last four weeks I was thinking I would get that cruise ship for my Delta Recruit, but since I didn't participate last summer on my main I'm SOL? That really sucks.

Yep, and it's probably the same way for the winter event, so I likely won't ever get the carrier.

I still don't get why this change was needed.
    edited May 2015
    huskerklg wrote: »
    To claim this has anything to do with this is a complete and utter smokescreen. There is no outcry from the players about this.

Your fix doesn't address this. All you had to do is retire the currency and not the ships. Then people could pick what ship they wanted to use it for.

For example, say this year you put in a carrier. Well I don't want a carrier, but I missed out on last years because I was on vacation, and I want that one. So I queue up last years ship instead.

See, currency still retired, problem in your blurb solved, and past ships still able to be earned. That simple.

But what you do, going beyond that simple fix is again a pure money grab.

Again that doesn't address the issue people have with this. The retiring of past ships for no reason.

listen to this guy. Keep It Simple and give players options.
    edited May 2015
    takeguru wrote: »
    Yep, and it's probably the same way for the winter event, so I likely won't ever get the carrier.

I still don't get why this change was needed.

Probably money. If the old ships are made available again it will be for Lobis which are ultimately connected with zen and real money.
  • takfeltakfel Member Posts: 238 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    "There will be no need for your alts to play the event mission, no hoops to fly through other than picking up the ship from a store"

I didn't read all one hundred thirty three pages... so my question is, How much will the unlocked ships cost in this "festival ship store" ?
  • mithrosnomoremithrosnomore Member Posts: 390 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    I made a post, but it seems like somewhere between "official news article" and page 132 of this there may have been some changes made, so I dumped what I had previously posted.

If Cryptic made some changes, though, then they should look at changing their news article, too.
  • deffjurkedeffjurke Member Posts: 43 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    You would think there would be a third Summer ship to complete a 3 piece set, just like the Winter ships.
    edited May 2015
    I made a post, but it seems like somewhere between "official news article" and page 132 of this there may have been some changes made, so I dumped what I had previously posted.

If Cryptic made some changes, though, then they should look at changing their news article, too.

seriously? At this point nobody can expect that anyone reads the entire thread. As far I've seen this board has no reasonable way to find official posts. In a thread this size you are likely to make redundant or pointless post but just as likely your post will be lost in the shuffle anyway and nobody will read it. You might as well post what you think on the topic.
  • jarenriccarjarenriccar Member Posts: 248 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    seriously? At this point nobody can expect that anyone reads the entire thread. As far I've seen this board has no reasonable way to find official posts. In a thread this size you are likely to make redundant or pointless post but just as likely your post will be lost in the shuffle anyway and nobody will read it. You might as well post what you think on the topic.

https://twitter.com/sto_devtracker
    27507930894_3855d74146_o.jpg

• pwefailpwefail Member Posts: 197 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    whatever,just means less people actually going to "events" now.
    i myself am in the process of deleting toons,not that anyone cares.

however how many people are deleting toons/leaving the game because of crappy moves like this ?

pretty soon no one will be claiming event ships.

"insert tumbleweed image"
    The player formerly known as Chunter.
    edited May 2015

Well, that is better than nothing, but not as good as most. In fact it's pretty ghetto. I mean no offense to the people who do it, it should be built into the forums.
  • misterperseusmisterperseus Member Posts: 71 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    This whole thing is FUBAR'd.

No one wins in the long run, anger all around.

Make a conversion of Pearls to Favors for the sub 60lvl people with odd numbers of Pearls.

Other than that, the END is Neigh!
  • m1957flaxm1957flax Member Posts: 172 Arc User
    edited May 2015

Make a conversion of Pearls to Favors for the sub 60lvl people with odd numbers of Pearls.

Such a conversion would be more satisfying for me than the other options are.

I'm not crafting or upgrading (to many resources needed and lost and to much grind / work for me). There is no fun in that for me.
    I'll get the specification points anyway while playing, why should I spend other resources on that.

Favors would give me other already existing options to use (which I like more) and they are NOT character bound. Thus I could use them on ANY toon.
    edited May 2015
    I bet they thought people wouldn't read the whole article. I mean nobody cares if the pearls are retired, so they make that the headline. Then they put the part about ships being retired near the end. What a bunch of shysters!
  • warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Probably money. If the old ships are made available again it will be for Lobis which are ultimately connected with zen and real money.

Making them available in the Lobi store would be entirely acceptable. As long as they aren't made entirely unavailable to new players.

New players are important and shouldn't be discriminated against just because they're new. It's not good for the game.
  • danquellerdanqueller Member Posts: 506 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    takfel wrote: »
    "There will be no need for your alts to play the event mission, no hoops to fly through other than picking up the ship from a store"

I didn't read all one hundred thirty three pages... so my question is, How much will the unlocked ships cost in this "festival ship store" ?

I'd say the answer is most likely how much it takes to pick up any ship you've unlocked account-wide right now. So, the answer should be....nothing. After all, if it cost something, you'd have to play the mission after all to get the currency to buy it, and that's precisely what is stated as not being the case.

You do have to have earned it in the first place, however, so one of your characters on the account has to have done the work and completed the mission to unlock the ship to get the reward for the rest, so it's only zero-cost to claim the ship after you earn it.
    pwefail wrote: »
    whatever,just means less people actually going to "events" now.
    i myself am in the process of deleting toons,not that anyone cares.

however how many people are deleting toons/leaving the game because of crappy moves like this ?

pretty soon no one will be claiming event ships.

"insert tumbleweed image"

I guess those people who are only here for the shiny prizes they can show everyone they've gotten instead of actually enjoying the play of the game are the ones who will be leaving. The rest of us, whether we agree with this new policy or not, will get on with our gaming.

If your entire game revolves around some ships you didn't even care enough about to at least -start- the project last year, let along complete it, then I'd wonder at such a decision, though. There's a lot more to this game than just that, and obviously it wasn't a big thing to these people before now.

Even those who wanted the ship and started the project but could not finish for a variety of reasons will be able to complete the mission this year, if they decide the old ship is more desirable than the new one, so it isn't a lock-out except for those who were either not at the event at all or were so apathetic to the ships that they didn't even bother with the project to get them. To me, that's actually reasonable, as I started doing these events back when you -couldn't- claim a ship after the event it had been introduced in was over, and so you had to decide if it was worth your time and effort to get it or not.

I agree that this announcement should have been done as a 'after this year's event, we will make all tokens specific to the year, and all rewards single-chance rewards', but that's not something I'm going to give up everything else about this game I enjoy over. If that's all this game is to you, then maybe it -is- time you moved on, as you probably will be leaving anyway the next time the devs do something you don't like.

As a suggestion, what the devs might do is simply allow the old ships be additional projects that can be earned in the current event just like last year, but using the current year's currency to allow them that exclusivity that they want back into the game. That way, the players maintain the ability to earn the ship if they really want it, but they have to earn it the way the devs want. It would only be a question of what ship the player wants for that year's participation in the event.

Either way, I never thought of quitting this game over things other people got from events I couldn't attend, and instead enjoyed the play of the game and the things I -could- get from the events I could attend. Looking with envy on someone else's items and not enjoying what you yourself have earned is a road to ruin.

In the end, we all make our own decisions about why we are playing the game. I've made mine, and others will make theirs. Agree or disagree with me, that's the bottom line, and only each player has the right to that decision themselves.
    edited May 2015

I Still dont like that Pearls are made Useless (Basically) but i Fully Support the Conversation to Favors, while i dont give a TRIBBLE about the other Stuff in the Buyback Store - and most of my Chars are not even Level 60 so CANT buy Speci-Points - i would Definately get Favors. BUT whether or not i Participate in the Summer Event STILL Depends on whether or not Cryptic Changes their Minds and makes the 2 Old Ships avaible for People - to grind for them with the new Currency - who dont have those or not, if not i will Most Likely stay away from the Event, since i DONT Support this Discrimination of half of the Community! :mad::mad::mad:
  • bobbydazlersbobbydazlers Member Posts: 4,534 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    just a quick question or two, though I don't have any pearls I do have a number of winter q pics and anniversary qmendations.
    as I guess these are going to be replaced also can you make it so we can trade these in at the same time as the summer pearls, it would be cool not to have to wait till the appropriate event to get the benefit of these tokens.

also might I ask is there a way we can have the ability to turn in any extra tokens from future events for some reward, I really enjoy playing the challenges of the winter race and summer jet pack flying high missions and would love to have a way of benefiting from doing these with my characters every day.

other then that I would just like to say I can understand the reasons for this change and actually like the idea of moving the event ships to the c-store to be unlocked by one character but claimed by all.

as the length of this thread is quite big I will not be looking for a strait answer to these questions but I will find out in due time when the events come up.

When I think about everything we've been through together,

maybe it's not the destination that matters, maybe it's the journey,

and if that journey takes a little longer,

so we can do something we all believe in,

I can't think of any place I'd rather be or any people I'd rather be with.

• nadiezjanadiezja Member Posts: 629 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    There were three main complaints in this thread, when one sifts all the screaming away and gets to the heart of it:

1. People losing their pre-ground pearls.
    2. Alts not getting the older event ships.
    3. New players not getting their old event ships.

#1, frankly, was addressed in the original announcement, and its solution is live now. There's valuable things to trade in your old pearls for, to the point I wish I'd ground out more of them myself! A spec point for 20 minutes of play you did a year ago is HUGE, as is access to purple crafting stuff. It's more than equitable - it's generous, and in a game with a less toxic community would be drawing tons of joy.

#2 has been addressed better than the old system did. I was not looking forward to six days of ice racing on my Recruit plus 25 on an older character to unlock all the Breen ships then permanently leaving the frigate I was never going to fly in a ship slot to keep the frigate pets unlocked - and now, I don't have to! I'm holding out hope that the anniversary is included and the stores are permanent instead of only available during events so she can get her full command cruiser console set and pet-healing trait now instead of waiting for winter.

#3 is a thing. It sucks. But when Cryptic has fixed two-thirds of the problems - and made both fixes improvements on the status quo - and members of the community continue to be just as abusive and insulting as before the fixes... I honestly think they should go to ignoring this thread. We don't deserve fixes, because we - the forum community as an aggregate - are awful.
  • warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    nadiezja wrote: »
    #3 is a thing. It sucks. But when Cryptic has fixed two-thirds of the problems - and made both fixes improvements on the status quo - and members of the community continue to be just as abusive and insulting as before the fixes... I honestly think they should go to ignoring this thread. We don't deserve fixes, because we - the forum community as an aggregate - are awful.

Isn't it nice to declare that "we" don't deserve any more fixes when you already got fixes to the issues that affected you? :rolleyes:
  • nadiezjanadiezja Member Posts: 629 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    warpangel wrote: »
    Isn't it nice to declare that "we" don't deserve any more fixes when you already got fixes to the issues that affected you? :rolleyes:

This is a counterfactual, but I like to think I'd have the same response if 1 and 3 (the two that don't really impact me) were fixed and 2 wasn't. I think I'm that person. Can't be sure though. People are complicatec and I'm people.
  • captinwh0captinwh0 Member Posts: 783 Arc User
    edited May 2015

We will be making every event ship you’ve ever earned and every event ship moving forward total account unlocks. As soon as one character on your account owns a ship, every single other character on your account that exists now or you will ever create will have immediate access to any event ship you’ve earned. There will be no need for your alts to play the event mission, no hoops to fly through other than picking up the ship from a store. Hopefully taking this extra step will address any lingering concerns you have with the overall change. Thanks for reading this far, and I look forward to seeing you on Risa soon!

Awsome! what about other unlocks, like the evasive maneuvers duty officer?
    nerf.jpg]
    edited May 2015

Ermm like the other Guy Mentioned, so everything is fine when HALF of the Community gets what they want, but the OTHER HALF, is locked out????Is that what you say??? NONE of those Fixes do ANYTHING to Newcommers and People who Missed the Old Ships the Last Year(s)

Sorry but with such a SELLFISH Argument, you are the one who should be Ignored, the Rest of us have VALID Complaints, and Most of us dont even Complain for ourself BUT for the Ones who are locked out! Iam one of those who is on the Safe Side since i got all my Stuff, but i want the Rest also to be handled FAIR, and i WILL Go on Complaining here until they Change their Mind, Hopefully others will do the Same.

Be Fair to Everyone not just 50%! :eek::mad:
  • bluegeekbluegeek Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Heh. Turns out I had only one toon who still had pearls, but he wasn't level 60. Didn't get what I wanted, but freed up a bank slot and got more crafting stuff for my stockpile.
    My views may not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment. You can file a "forums and website" support ticket here
    Link: How to PM - Twitter @STOMod_Bluegeek
  • talientalien Member Posts: 712 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Personally, I think if cryptic really wants to make players happy then they should retire pearls AFTER this year's summer event.

To a lot of people (myself included) spec points are useless, we gave up even trying to grind them out because we don't have several hours a day to devote to simulating a work environment in a game that's supposed to help us relax after work, a lot of people I used to game with have quit because of the forced grind for everything.

The rest of the trade-in items are similarly not useful to me, I don't play the crafting or upgrade lottery so mat packs and tech upgrades are blah at best, I just sell my mats and buy what I want from the exchange. And starship emotes? ....What? Just.....what? Why is this even a thing? It is a terrible idea. Sure, there's a cooldown so one person can't spam them but when you get several people in a social area chaining them? I guess we'll just have to wait and see if we get an option to disable visuals for them right away instead of waiting until it becomes a problem like with party favors. Not to mention it's already been said that they will be added to the latinum exchange so there's really no need to use pearls to get them.

Sure, account unlocks for existing ships are nice.....but I already have the ones I want on the characters I want them on, not that I do much of anything with my alts anymore aside from events like CE that have huge rewards on a per character basis. The game has been made so alt unfriendly with all the grind just to get ONE character to level 60, let alone a few spec points, that it's pointless to play multiple characters unless you have 5 or 6 hours a day to devote to mind numbing grind.

And what about all the Delta recruits? All the new players that got drawn into the game by word of mouth from existing players or ads in other PWE/cryptic games promising them a headstart? Suddenly they find out that they have no way get these cool event ships from years past. Oh I'm sure they'll be put in the lobi store but that's an even bigger slap in the face.

But the biggest thing for me is I got my extra pearls last year because I knew I would most likely not be able to grind the ship this year. I now spend about half my time in an area with lousy satellite internet, 800-1300 ping and having my bandwidth regularly capped at less than 20 kb/s does not lend itself well to online gaming, I update a couple games on steam and there goess my bandwidth limit for the month. So now I have a bunch of useless stuff to use my pearls on instead of a ship I'd probably want, if only for a trait.

I can't speak for everyone else but this is why I do not like this at all.
  • bluegeekbluegeek Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    nobody0806 wrote: »
    Ermm like the other Guy Mentioned, so everything is fine when HALF of the Community gets what they want, but the OTHER HALF, is locked out????Is that what you say??? NONE of those Fixes do ANYTHING to Newcommers and People who Missed the Old Ships the Last Year(s)

Sorry but with such a SELLFISH Argument, you are the one who should be Ignored, the Rest of us have VALID Complaints, and Most of us dont even Complain for ourself BUT for the Ones who are locked out! Iam one of those who is on the Safe Side since i got all my Stuff, but i want the Rest also to be handled FAIR, and i WILL Go on Complaining here until they Change their Mind, Hopefully others will do the Same.

Be Fair to Everyone not just 50%! :eek::mad:

Other than the fact that you're guessing about how many are actually affected, I generally agree that current players should be able to grandfather into getting the ships. Assuming they can grind enough trinkets in time. A last chance promo would be a good thing.

I don't necessarily believe that the ships need to be made available indefinitely for people who aren't even playing the game now. A cutoff date is fair, if that last chance is given.
    My views may not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment. You can file a "forums and website" support ticket here
    Link: How to PM - Twitter @STOMod_Bluegeek
    edited May 2015
    bluegeek wrote: »
    Other than the fact that you're guessing about how many are actually affected, I generally agree that current players should be able to grandfather into getting the ships. Assuming they can grind enough trinkets in time. A last chance promo would be a good thing.

I don't necessarily believe that the ships need to be made available indefinitely for people who aren't even playing the game now. A cutoff date is fair, if that last chance is given.

Well the Number was Random, could be Difficult for me to gues exact Numbers :D

I Still dont believe in that "Exclusive" nonsense, sorry 3 Winter Events and 2 Summers Events where everyone was able to get all Ships of the Past and it was never an Issue, now Suddenly they are comming up with that Exclusive Mambo Jambo? It is still EXCLUSIVE...exclusive for People who Participate in the Summer and Winter Events, its not like People can get it all Year Long right?

Not only can't People who nearly had enough Pearls from Last Years get those 2 Old Ships with their Pearls now...NO the ones who dont even have Slotted them cant get them at all now :confused: While i myself am not Affected, i still can Feel the PAIN from all Affected Players, its a GIGANTIC Slap in the Face, for everyone. :(:mad:
  • m1957flaxm1957flax Member Posts: 172 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    #1, frankly, was addressed in the original announcement, and its solution is live now. There's valuable things to trade in your old pearls for, to the point I wish I'd ground out more of them myself! A spec point for 20 minutes of play you did a year ago is HUGE, as is access to purple crafting stuff. It's more than equitable - it's generous, and in a game with a less toxic community would be drawing tons of joy....

For me its not valuable. I don't need that. And BTW your estimated time is way off the real time needed for it.

@all
    I collect ships. Not because they are shiny, not because I want to show off, just because they are there. Some of those are still boxed. (Because the toon doesn't have the level for it or because I was busy flying something else.)
    But I fly those ships. I like the Risian Luxury Cruiser most. I do well with it. It might be not as shiny as others, but it serves me and my playstyle pretty well.

I give a damn about stats and the right stuff for a build. I check it and when it flies well with me, I love it. It's just as easy as that.

Therefore I need as much ships offered as possible: that I can check and select MY pick.
    Reducing the offered bargains does not go well with me.

Let us work for it (no problem with that, oh, I forgot I worked for it already and it is obsolete now).

Sorry, I don't like your decisions, I don't like the consolation prices (except for the accountwide usage), I don't follow your reasons for doing so. And finally: I don't trust your announcements anymore (if you changed your minds once, who is keeping you from doing so again?)
This discussion has been closed.