test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Art of Pilot Ships

pwlaughingtrendypwlaughingtrendy Member Posts: 2,966 Arc User
Our new pilot ships are as ambitious as they are unique. Our latest developer blog showcases the process of visually designing our new Pilot Ships, complete with delicious high res concept art.

You can check out our blog here!

~LaughingTrendy
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    voporakvoporak Member Posts: 5,621 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    If you feed the warbird, what do you get? Fat warbird.
    I ask nothing but that you remember me.
  • Options
    crusader0007crusader0007 Member Posts: 85 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    The FED one looks like Copy/paste from the Risian corvette? Sorry but just being honest.

The Romulan and the KDF looks really great and tempted to buy :cool:
  • Options
    djconcentusdjconcentus Member Posts: 177 Media Corps
    edited May 2015
    We liked the SR-71 Blackbird and the design elements of the forward swept wings on that plane.

Um...the SR-71 doesn't have forward-swept wings. See for yourself.
    The opinions expressed in my posts are not necessarily those of my employer or Subspace Radio.
    Host of the Borg Boombox, 0300 GMT on Fridays on Subspace Radio
  • Options
    oldravenman3025oldravenman3025 Member Posts: 1,892 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Personally, I think the new boats look nice. But that's just my opinion. Others will differ.
  • Options
    thenoname711thenoname711 Member Posts: 204 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Why! WHY!! That first(upper left) KDF concept silhouette! That's how Negh'Tev should have looked! And that center FED design looks epic too. It's a shame they didn't make it to modelling phase. I'll be honest with the romulan designs though, I don't like them too much.(just my opinion)
    Gameserver not found.
  • Options
    mreeves7amreeves7a Member Posts: 499 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Ugh...those pics remind me why I hate concept art. The final product never has quite the same quality or polish to it that the concept art does...

Perhaps maybe less kitbashing needs to be catered to, instead spend 3 times the work on the one model. The concept Mercury vs Ingame Mercury is insane; one is a hypersleek speed machine with semi-internalized bussard collector, the other is bloated with red glowy patches on the hull...

And for the Klingon concept art (this one: http://images-cdn.perfectworld.com/arc/86/8f/868f1418490a2773bbeb9a728a888bf31431625529.png) the vessel in the upper left screams Klingon Science Vessel to me for some reason...

The concepts for the Romulan Pilot vessels are just another example for the Romulan Material 4 not being fit for use in game...I've yet to see a ship or kitbash that looks good in Type 4, it suffers from the MACO plastic toy effect, no depth to the color
  • Options
    amezukiamezuki Member Posts: 364 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Someone already mentioned the SR-71, but there's this:
    We looked at a lot of delta wing aircraft designs for inspiration. One we really like is the Saab 35 Darken.
    Pretty sure that was meant to be Draken?

Really like some of the concept art designs. I'm inclined to agree that I like the upper-left Klingon sketch better than what came out, but these things are really subjective.
    Fleet Admiral L'Yern - Screenshot and doffing addict
    Eclipse Class Intel Cruiser U.S.S. Dioscuria NX-91121-A - Interactive Crew Roster
  • Options
    thlaylierahthlaylierah Member Posts: 2,985 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Saab 35 "Draken."

Ooops, ninja'd.
  • Options
    anazondaanazonda Member Posts: 8,399 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    So now that these are out and flying...

T6 Defiant?
    Don't look silly... Don't call it the "Z-Store/Zen Store"...
    Let me put the rumors to rest: it's definitely still the C-Store (Cryptic Store) It just takes ZEN.
    Like Duty Officers? Support effords to gather ideas
  • Options
    davideightdavideight Member Posts: 458 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    again:

whover does make the design decisions or endresult art design: kick him.

the concepts (esp the federation ones) look 100times better than the endresults, though im pretty pleased with the fed engineering variant.

the concepts are so well proportioned, that i really wonder why the endresult is so ... kitbashy.
    ___

i dont know what happens between concept and endresult, but there's a mad goblin in between somewhere.
  • Options
    corelogikcorelogik Member Posts: 1,039 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    I still say the Klingon Raptors look like a 1950's version of what an alien ship was thought to be. Spiky points that make no logical sense and fins that would look right at home on a 1950's Cadillac.

The Romulan ships, look more like Xindi insectoids than the graceful lines of "Warbirds".
    "Go play with your DPS in the corner, I don't care how big it is." ~ Me
    "There... are... four... lights!" ~Jean Luc Picard
  • Options
    swalldevswalldev Member Posts: 15 Cryptic Developer
    edited May 2015

to clarify, we liked elements of the the SR-71 and elements of forward swpt winged planes, like the SU-47
    Swallrus
    Art Lead
  • Options
    captaind3captaind3 Member Posts: 2,449 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    ^
    Swalldev, the sentence says, "inspired by the SR-71 and the forward swept wings on that plane." That's pretty clear.

TO THE EDIT BUTTON!
    He says that, but I was gonna say they've been watching too many X-Men movies.

Admittedly the Blackbird in the X-men movies was absolutely gorgeous. It was brilliantly done.

But the actual SR-71 is the ultimate hybrid delta wing. Excuse me while I drool.
    Why! WHY!! That first(upper left) KDF concept silhouette! That's how Negh'Tev should have looked! And that center FED design looks epic too. It's a shame they didn't make it to modelling phase. I'll be honest with the romulan designs though, I don't like them too much.(just my opinion)
    Hmm, now that you point it out that is pretty sweet.

I gotta say the Devs should be reminded that Klingons don't hate round shapes, that upper left is gorgeous.
    mreeves7a wrote: »
    Ugh...those pics remind me why I hate concept art. The final product never has quite the same quality or polish to it that the concept art does...

Perhaps maybe less kitbashing needs to be catered to, instead spend 3 times the work on the one model. The concept Mercury vs Ingame Mercury is insane; one is a hypersleek speed machine with semi-internalized bussard collector, the other is bloated with red glowy patches on the hull...

And for the Klingon concept art (this one: http://images-cdn.perfectworld.com/arc/86/8f/868f1418490a2773bbeb9a728a888bf31431625529.png) the vessel in the upper left screams Klingon Science Vessel to me for some reason...

The concepts for the Romulan Pilot vessels are just another example for the Romulan Material 4 not being fit for use in game...I've yet to see a ship or kitbash that looks good in Type 4, it suffers from the MACO plastic toy effect, no depth to the color

Have to admit the Concept Mercury looks sharp and flat, blade like. Fits in well with canon starship design. Beautiful. The in game model is a bit too round. We lost the sleekness in the transition to 3D model.

But man, you guys must think doing Romulan ships are easy, cause you make it look easy. The work you did with that discarded Scimitar model is very impressive. Much easier too since you don't have to worry about deploying Thalaron emitters like the Nemesis team did.
    tumblr_mr1jc2hq2T1rzu2xzo9_r1_400.gif
    "Rise like Lions after slumber, In unvanquishable number, Shake your chains to earth like dew, Which in sleep had fallen on you-Ye are many — they are few"
  • Options
    corelogikcorelogik Member Posts: 1,039 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    davideight wrote: »
    again:

whover does make the design decisions or endresult art design: kick him.

the concepts (esp the federation ones) look 100times better than the endresults, though im pretty pleased with the fed engineering variant.

the concepts are so well proportioned, that i really wonder why the endresult is so ... kitbashy.
    ___

i dont know what happens between concept and endresult, but there's a mad goblin in between somewhere.
    swalldev wrote: »
    to clarify, we liked elements of the the SR-71 and elements of forward swpt winged planes, like the SU-47

As much as I find the visual appearance of the Pilot ships to be ~meh, I still bought them because performance wise, they rock. I just wish a llittle more thought and a little less 'inspiration' had gone into their visual appearance.

For a example, 2 small changes would have made the Tac Rom Warbird visually perfect in my opinion:

1) Remove the piece of the wing at the rear of the leg forming a hollow area. (You now have a slender, bird like 'wing')

2) Decrease the angle of the outer wings from whatever it is, to about half or 1/3 of the angle. (You now have a properly 'spread' wing that LOOKS like it's on a 'Bird of Prey' instead of like legs on a catamaran.)

And that's just the Romulan Tac ship. Similar thigns could have been done with all the Rom ships. Less spiky protrudy points that have no function and serve no purpose other than looks.
    "Go play with your DPS in the corner, I don't care how big it is." ~ Me
    "There... are... four... lights!" ~Jean Luc Picard
  • Options
    iconiansiconians Member Posts: 6,987 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    I'm surprised that it wasn't mentioned the Risian Corvette was an inspiration for the Mercury-class. Is this just a coincidence?
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • Options
    kylelockekylelocke Member Posts: 182 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Okhala Class has the appearence of a shellfish, I think it would look a bit better if the wings came up rather than just have them come out from the sides and the Mercury Class looks like a brick with wings, personally I would have liked to seen it rounded off. However the Kingon raptors are looking fierce, that is some excellent work there and they're far better looking than the Klingon command ships.
    "I will make the Orion Syndicate face the light of justice or burn them with it." - Captainl Kyle Nathaniel Locke, U.S.S. Excalibur NCC-98105-C
  • Options
    breadandcircusesbreadandcircuses Member Posts: 2,355 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    iconians wrote: »
    I'm surprised that it wasn't mentioned the Risian Corvette was an inspiration for the Mercury-class. Is this just a coincidence?

While there are similar elements, overall they do appear as distinct designs to me. Hmmm... though if you take a Defiant and a Corvette, overlap them, and add little wings... yeah, I can kind of see it.

It could be a coincidence. The same designer could have worked on both, and based on personal style they came up with certain similarities.

It could be random chance entirely, art being in large part what the observer sees as much as what the artist initially intended.

It could be a conscious decision not to mention the it in light of the shipstorm over...
    FAQ:

Can I slot a new project for a Risian Corvette or Risian Luxury Cruiser?

No. These ships are being retired with the start of the 2015 Lohlunat Festival.
    ...recent changes to the Risian Corvette's availability (as compared to the prior 3 Winter Events and 2 Summer Events allowing access to prior offerings and adding console set bonuses). Unless we're getting a T6 Risian Corvette and T6 Risian Luxury Cruiser rather than a truly "new" ship this year, which is also a possibility... probably something they should have mentioned, if so.

Who knows?
    Ym9x9Ji.png
    meimeitoo wrote: »
    I do not like Geko ether.
    iconians wrote: »
    With each passing day I wonder if I stepped into an alternate reality. The Cubs win the world series. Donald Trump is President. Britain leaves the EU. STO gets a dedicated PvP season. Engineers are "out of control" in STO.​​
  • Options
    trillbuffettrillbuffet Member Posts: 861 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    I would do the grind and get them but being that 6-12 months from now they will be obsolete I've passed on these pilot ships. Only reason I got the negh'var one is because I'd been waiting around 3 years for that ship since it was originally stated to be worked on lol.
  • Options
    ssbn655ssbn655 Member Posts: 1,894 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    " We liked the SR-71 Blackbird and the design elements of the forward swept wings on that plane."

Ummm NO the Sled (SR-71) did not have forward swept wings! I met Kelly Johnson once and worked on items for the JT-11D aka J-58 near the end of the Sleds service life while employed at Pratt & Whitney.
  • Options
    gavinrunebladegavinruneblade Member Posts: 3,894 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Thanks for this blog, I love seeing the concept art. Cheers to all the artists who worked on these.
  • Options
    cavaleriuscavalerius Member Posts: 126 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    For once Cryptic didn't actually drop the ball with these ships. The design & aesthetics are uniform, with strong starfleet design patterns present & they sourced inspiration, so well done. If it weren't for the ridiculous price I would've bought them (seriously Cryptic I bought a model Dauntless which actually looks awesome for NZD $20 and it was cheaper than your dauntless!)

So, good job on design this time. Tbh, I wished you lot designed good looking ships all the time...

To those complaining about kitbashing:
    Get into perspective, reusing familiar designs in ships is more realistic than making each and every ship look completely different. If aviation didn't exist in reality except for in a computer game you lot would be having a massive tantrum. Tantrums are for 4 year olds so some growing up & smart thinking might be in order...
    Beta Antares Shipyards advanced Starship development project.
    CLASSIFIED
    [SIGPIC]the_forseeable_future_by_jetfreak_7-d3dvsud.png
    [/SIGPIC]
    SUPPORT LOGICAL FEDERATION STARSHIP DESIGNS!
  • Options
    avengerkid1993avengerkid1993 Member Posts: 323 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    ok, honestly ...

ROM Ships are not that great work: I mean, ok, beautiful or not is way too personal, but they lack of mass.

They're just as flat as paper sheets.
    I think you should add a pair of bigger nacellas like KDF BOPs have and a pair of HUGE Impulse engines (like the Ha'Feh Warbird - Haakona parts - have).

Talking about the Ha'Feh Warbird (Haakona Parts): THAT is a masterpiece, I'd want more ships like it.
  • Options
    liontriadliontriad Member Posts: 37 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    I hope you use some of those rejected designs for the fed pilot ships in the future, i like the top 3 especially out of the 9.

http://images-cdn.perfectworld.com/arc/8b/a1/8ba17d6a3c3966b72f2451fafc213e7f1431625561.png
  • Options
    optyk1optyk1 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    anazonda wrote: »
    So now that these are out and flying...

T6 Defiant?

I'm not sure whats worse. When the Community would not shut-up about adding in the Vesta(which everyone just had to have but never used) or now, adding in a T6 Defiant. It does not matter what the topic of a post is about, eventually you'll see a "T6 Defiant nao pls?" in there somewhere.

Cryptic, please add the damn thing.
  • Options
    feordilagorgefeordilagorge Member Posts: 247 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    wardcalis wrote: »
    hate the art of the romulan ships, they are very ugly and do not feel streamlined or gracful like most romulan ships
    All the criticism makes me wonder why they don't come up with various concept art models and post them in the forums for a poll before making a final design. Of course, that would only likely please a greater number of players.
    Star Citizen: Pay-2-Win?
    i.imgur.com/LGpIGVB.png

FREE HONG KONG! *
    * With purchase of another Hong Kong of equal or greater value.
  • Options
    yandreyyandrey Member Posts: 21 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Love the designs. So new, so unique, but still fitting in the Star Trek universe. I'm always looking forward to these blogs, they might even prove useful to my own artistic skills.

There is just one thing that annoys me: There are so many people who like a lot of the concept-ships that never made it in game.

What if those designs were available as extra versions of the same ship. Like how, when one buys the long range science vessel, the Intrepid class, Cochrane class and the Discovery class will automatically be available to create your own, personal and unique vessel.
    It would take some more time to make, but there would be a lot more diversity among the ships, you would get 3 extra ships instead of just one when you were to buy the Sci/Tac/Eng variant of your Pilot ship (whichever ones you haven't gotten yet), and the overall happiness among the players will most certainly be higher.

And isn't that what is truly important? :D
  • Options
    kirimuffinkirimuffin Member Posts: 692 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Great art blog, as usual. Love the concept art. I have to agree that a lot of them look better than the ones we got, especially that bottom-right KDF one.

As for the ships we actually got:

I have to agree that the Romulan pilot ships don't look warbird-y enough. They're too... angular? I guess? Almost like they were meant to be intel ships.

The Fed pilot ships... I dunno. They're growing on me. They look good, but I still feel like they look too much like weird concept airplanes and not enough like Federation starships. Then again, I didn't like the Defiant design when I first saw it, either, so maybe I just need to give these time.

The KDF ones look completely awesome. I want them just for the looks. Everything about them screams badass. Must... dil-grind... faster...