Install Arc
Options

Star Trek Online: Homeworlds

Comments

• Options
    geminisierrageminisierra Member Posts: 180 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    captz1pp wrote: »
    How about we introduce those worlds with the idea that Heralds are sent to convince the planetary leaders to join the Iconians (rejoin in some cases, I imagine some current species are old enough to have been under their control long ago), and we respond either just with force, or with words first.

you remark made me think of the SG-1 episodes and the Ori... lol
  • Options
    gl2814egl2814e Member Posts: 328 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    While I agree that DS9 needs a revamp, frankly Star Trek has never been about the homeworlds of various species.

I'd much rather the Devs invest into redoing Fed and KDF ship interiors, and maybe expand Romulan ship interiors.
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    gl2814e wrote: »
    While I agree that DS9 needs a revamp, frankly Star Trek has never been about the homeworlds of various species.

I'd much rather the Devs invest into redoing Fed and KDF ship interiors, and maybe expand Romulan ship interiors.

Now, I wouldn't mind seeing updates to the interiors, I don't really see a need for them. If the interiors were used for more than decorations, then sure, but they're nothing more than a place to wander around aimlessly. If there were specific DOFF missions or other mission inside the ships, then maybe a revamp would be good. But as it is, it's just a place to go hang some decorations. As it is, some of the special DOFF missions can all be done in the ready room at the "contact duty officers" console.... no need to go to the galley or engine room or sick bay... unless you really want too.

Nope, I'd much rather see a revamp or add on off home worlds or colonies as I mentioned before.
  • Options
    dmtdmt Member Posts: 194 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    The thing about interiors: the feature episode mission in the Hifihar system (Mine Enemy) requires you to use your ready room computer to decrypt a Tal Shiar message.

If more missions were tweaked to include these sort of feature interiors should be looked at and improved
  • Options
    crusader2007crusader2007 Member Posts: 1,865 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    IMO not a good idea...if you want to drift away in planets and admire each of them why not do EVE instead? This is STO and what matters more is action like STFs, PvEs or missions. Why waste resources in abstracts when so many other stuff still broken like Defera invasion zone or even PvP that is in life support. Aesthetics is good but not needed. You get a vote down from this one.
    DUwNP.gif

• Options
    feiqafeiqa Member Posts: 2,410 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Just a thought but it could lower combat as some forces are dealing with 'remnants' Your character after having a meteoric rise gets a new assignment. Either because you chose to or had no choice and did something your leadership is squeamish on. You have been assigned your respective academy or 'retired'.

With a teaching role you can show groups of cadets the ropes and groan in frustration at occasional news reports from your former bridge officers. Till you hear reports that things are not as peaceful as it seems. And you go to each of your officers and get your ship back.

With the retirement story idea, you get ground based housing. A home on Andoria, Vulcan, Earth / Qo'nos, Gorn, (new orion homeworld. sorry can't look it up from here.) / New Romulus / Jouret / Virinat. Do new jobs and mini-games in the 'civilian' neighborhoods. Similar to the New Romulus adventure zone. When word comes in that things are not as peaceful as the leadership had hoped. You get called back to action at the end of the event/season.

Both of these allow expanding areas people have asked for and give a purpose to non-combat duties. It could be the "Eye of the Storm" The war is not over, but the calm that hits made some people think it was.

Originally Posted by pwlaughingtrendy
    Network engineers are not ship designers.
    Nor should they be. Their ships would look weird.
  • Options
    amezukiamezuki Member Posts: 364 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    IMO not a good idea...if you want to drift away in planets and admire each of them why not do EVE instead?
    Because I am aggressively disinterested in "playing" a game that embraces non-consensual PvP and--both explicitly and structurally--encourages players to grief and TRIBBLE each other over. EVE's community and environment are toxic and bring out all the worst parts of humanity. No thanks, never again setting foot in that cesspool.
    This is STO and what matters more is action like STFs, PvEs or missions. Why waste resources in abstracts when so many other stuff still broken like Defera invasion zone or even PvP that is in life support. Aesthetics is good but not needed. You get a vote down from this one.
    Fortunately, what "is" STO and what "matters" are not defined by any one player's personal gameplay preferences.
    Fleet Admiral L'Yern - Screenshot and doffing addict
    Eclipse Class Intel Cruiser U.S.S. Dioscuria NX-91121-A - Interactive Crew Roster
  • Options
    crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,115 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    risian4 wrote: »
    Whatever they'll add in the new season, I hope it's something else than yet another conflict or a war. It's getting unrealistic to see, especially, the Federation and its allies in a constant state of conflict with a dozen other species.

IDK it (that type of storyline) worked for 4 seasons on the DS9 TV series and helped make it a fan favorite series in the Star trek franchise.

Again, for all those say 'Star Trek was all about exploration..."

Name me a couple episodes from any of the series where the crew spent the hour just exploring/scanning/gathering info.

Honestly, yes, many times in an episode opening teaser you had a log entry like "We are here to explore/map/gather data on <Phenomena/Location>..." but within the teaser you had something else occur (non-exploration related) that became the focus/story for the rest of the episode.
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
  • Options
    angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Lets adress a few points this way:

Star Trek is not about the homeworlds: STO is so many things Star Trek is not. But wouldn't you expect from something called Star Trek Online to explore the world of of the shows that was depicted on-screen? It is one thing to BFAW stupid mobs to death by the millions but another thing to take a break and see what happens if the devs get really creative, creating the worlds that were hidden from our view for so long. And nobody said that Homeworlds need to be boring. A Gorn homeworld could feature a lot potential for separatist/uprising based storylines, tension could revolve around Federation worlds or you could help rebuilding and advancing some worlds. Wouldn't it be great to get a feeling how the worlds look that you "defend" all the time?

There's nothing to do in social hubs: Yeah, maybe you can't shoot stuff there. But you can always use a trader, bank access and maybe DOFF assignments (although I'd prefer real content and not "simulated" stuff via DOFFs). Especially Klingons lack convenient access to social maps that are not all cramped together on one end of the map.

Cryptic needs to add stuff to keep players playing and paying: If fleshed out homeworlds aren'T something Star Trek fans are willing to hang around for I don't know what is. Playing the same STF for the ten thousandsth time, maybe? Honestly I see most positive reactions across the board whenever something is unveiled the map artists put a lot of effort into and when they went creative to fill gaps from the show. Giving us nice "homes" and improving the little people we play all the time would be a very welcome addition to the game in my opinion. New stuff to shoot - I am honest, I don't know if yet another new trash mob I am supposed to FAW away will really get me excited. But seeing Tellar Prime or the Orion Institute of Cosmology? That would get me interested.
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    If the homeworlds were spruced up a bit and some life added to them, more things could be done like a home for the character.
    however, some could say the ship is your home...
    but, an idea occurs to me that if player homes were created, it would be a nice place to hang all those trophies and ship models and some of the accolades.
    If, a home was offered, there could be missions to gain it... and missions to furnish it and missions to expand it... and maybe depending on the mission, you can get an apartment on ESD. Kirk had one in STIV? can't remember it now...

on the other side though, some home worlds would be nice to visit, but not necessary. but the exploration/trade/diplomacy could be had if smaller planets or stations seeded around had minor side missions to go to, help out, etc and in doing so provided a trading station, with bank, exchange, vendors. or only one of them... or none...

Now... I fully endorse fixing the broke before adding more, but sometimes more is needed
  • Options
    coupaholiccoupaholic Member Posts: 2,188 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    I think it'll be another war. There could be some missions to clean up the mess after the current one but it's my guess that another enemy just happens to turn up out of nowhere with the purpose of taking advantage of battle fatigued factions.
  • Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    amezuki wrote: »
    I can't even tell you how much I freaking love this idea.

Want to give homeworlds more flavor, a point to going there? Too much work to design a new social maps that won't get enough usage to justify the time and cost? Instead, make the planets interactive just like the colonization clusters. Then make players jump through a reasonable series of hoops to unlock doff assignments specific to that planet--with a heavy focus on Trade and Diplomacy assignments. The end of the assignment/mission chain would result in the ability to open a trade interface with that world.

It would actually give players a reason to travel to all of these different systems for more than just a one-off patrol mission or running Tour. And as changes go it strikes me as one that would benefit from mostly leveraging existing functionality.

This is a nice idea, but I think not leading the direction the OP wants to go. He wants to visit homeworlds...

gl2814e wrote: »

The first thing they need to do with interiors is to create a system that you can actually stories/missions aboard your ship. (Partially or completely.) Because that most definitely is Star Trek ("Bottle Episodes").

But before they do that, they shouldn't even bother touching up interiors. They need to solve this, and if that requires throwing every single bridge away I bought (and I think I got most of them) and give me nothing in return for that ever, I'd be fine with it, as long as it means having missions aboard my ship.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    angrytarg wrote: »
    Lets adress a few points this way:

Star Trek is not about the homeworlds: STO is so many things Star Trek is not. But wouldn't you expect from something called Star Trek Online to explore the world of of the shows that was depicted on-screen?
    Most homeworlds were hardly depicted, and no, I don't really expect that. I expect to be aboard a starship and experience adventures. Maybe I make an occassional visit home, but I don't expect it to be a major part of the game.

There's nothing to do in social hubs: Yeah, maybe you can't shoot stuff there. But you can always use a trader, bank access and maybe DOFF assignments (although I'd prefer real content and not "simulated" stuff via DOFFs). Especially Klingons lack convenient access to social maps that are not all cramped together on one end of the map.
    I need exactly one such spot for this, I don't need six. And it's not like there aren't several social hubs - best visited ones are always the "main" base that has all the facilities. It's doubtful that is going to change, unlses you add a unique ability to each planet. But ... just for that one ability you want them to build a new social map? That's not really enough. Maybe it's enough to make some of the kind of "metrics padding" that conspiracy theorists on the boards always accuse Cryptic of, but a good game design or business decision that doesn't make...

Cryptic needs to add stuff to keep players playing and paying: If fleshed out homeworlds aren'T something Star Trek fans are willing to hang around for I don't know what is. Playing the same STF for the ten thousandsth time, maybe?
    Yes, I think playing an STF for the ten thousand times sounds more interesting than hanging around in a place. But if you want something better - flying through space with my favorite starship and crew and experiencing adventures (even if it's a rerun) sounds pretty cool, and better than hanging around something.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    ozy83ozy83 Member Posts: 156 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    What STO needs is custom content. The foundry is good, but it would be even better if we could import our own models/animations/textures etc. This alone has the potential to fully flesh out exploration as no two mission contents could be the same.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Lag Watch:
    Delta Rising: Warning
    Anniversary Event: Severe
    Iconian Season: Critical
  • Options
    sennahcheribsennahcherib Member Posts: 2,823 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    we could import our own models/animations/textures

expect; more lag, animation problems, stretched textures; 3d models not optimized using 3 tons of textures; etc.

the creation of 3d models and textures is really difficult and almost impossible in an mmo where there aren't mods (game modifications)
    I expect to be aboard a starship and experience adventures.

exactly
  • Options
    binebanebinebane Member Posts: 557 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    special weekend events. each weekend on other planet.
    hunting ice worms on andoria or those sabre tigers on vulcan desert. that souns fun. or racing with buggy like picard and holding android head in your hands.:D
  • Options
    binebanebinebane Member Posts: 557 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    ozy83 wrote: »
    What STO needs is custom content. The foundry is good, but it would be even better if we could import our own models/animations/textures etc. This alone has the potential to fully flesh out exploration as no two mission contents could be the same.
    yeah right. you get model on internet you put it in game someone sees that model you downoladed from internet... you see the problem?
    making your own models like you are making your own ships now... well... probably too expensive to create but i guess it is doable.
    beter random genertor for planets for real research. more random missions. but again probably just too expensive.
  • Options
    feiqafeiqa Member Posts: 2,410 Arc User
    edited May 2015

Not to sound flippant, but Second Life.
    In a licensed environment like STO they could not do that or you would have Jedi and Viper pilots carousing around naked models on Drozana. These are things that could kill the license. There are two ways to prevent that from happening. Hire a small team to go over every single model and texture to ensure it conforms to licensing and decency standards before it can be used. Or not allow custom uploads at all.

Originally Posted by pwlaughingtrendy
    Network engineers are not ship designers.
    Nor should they be. Their ships would look weird.
  • Options
    ozy83ozy83 Member Posts: 156 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    feiqa wrote: »
    Not to sound flippant, but Second Life.
    In a licensed environment like STO they could not do that or you would have Jedi and Viper pilots carousing around naked models on Drozana. These are things that could kill the license. There are two ways to prevent that from happening. Hire a small team to go over every single model and texture to ensure it conforms to licensing and decency standards before it can be used. Or not allow custom uploads at all.

Well, I think it goes without saying that the content has to be moderated! I'm not stupid enough to even suggest copyrighted material is fine to upload.
    binebane wrote:
    yeah right. you get model on internet you put it in game someone sees that model you downoladed from internet... you see the problem?
    making your own models like you are making your own ships now... well... probably too expensive to create but i guess it is doable.
    beter random genertor for planets for real research. more random missions. but again probably just too expensive.

I'm not talking about models downloaded from the internet. I'm talking about user created models, I'm not advocating the theft of intellectual property.

The point im making is that we can only adapt what we're given and well... that ends up to quite a few repetitive environments. That's the issue im trying to point out.

We cant explore strange new worlds if a lot of them look the same.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Lag Watch:
    Delta Rising: Warning
    Anniversary Event: Severe
    Iconian Season: Critical
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Well, I think it goes without saying that the content has to be moderated! I'm not stupid enough to even suggest copyrighted material is fine to upload.

I'm not talking about models downloaded from the internet. I'm talking about user created models, I'm not advocating the theft of intellectual property.

The point im making is that we can only adapt what we're given and well... that ends up to quite a few repetitive environments. That's the issue im trying to point out.

We cant explore strange new worlds if a lot of them look the same.
    Yes, but how many people would it take to moderate an environment with thousands of players doing stuff daily?
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    amezukiamezuki Member Posts: 364 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Well, I think it goes without saying that the content has to be moderated!
    Awesome. Who would you like to pay $35-40k a year to moderate it, and what new revenue stream--or what cutbacks--would be necessary in order to pay that person's salary and recoup the costs of hiring, training and retaining them?
    Of course you aren't. The point was that not everyone is you, and all it takes is one teenage mouth-breather uploading Lucasfilm assets to create an enormous legal headache for Cryptic that results in the functionality going away.
    Fleet Admiral L'Yern - Screenshot and doffing addict
    Eclipse Class Intel Cruiser U.S.S. Dioscuria NX-91121-A - Interactive Crew Roster
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    valoreah wrote: »
    There is more opportunity to do things with the homeworlds here in STO than there was on any of the various TV shows. You never saw a lot of things on Star Trek, that doesn't automatically make it a bad idea to have them here.
    No, not automatically.

It's not that I hate the idea of visiting homeworlds. I just don't think it's important to STO, and there is a lot of content that I think that would benefit the game more. Another poster mentioned interiors, and I totally think that interiors need to be part of the game in a way that allows using them in missions. Dev-Created and Foundry-Created ideally. So many episodes of Star Trek spend most of their time aboard the ship, and STO simply can't pull that off?
    That is definitely more important to give me a Star Trek experience than visiting Andor.

Of course, it's not like I would hate a map of Andor that isn't just a boring mass of snow. But if the only purpose of the map is as a social hub, I can do without it.

And if a social hub needs work, it's Deep Space Nine. It actually was a critical location for 7 seasons of Star Trek.
  • Options
    jstewart55jstewart55 Member Posts: 412 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    How about we all build awesome Tellarite/Betazoid/Insert Species of Choice homeworlds in the Foundry then offer them to Cryptic to use? :)
  • Options
    x10110100x10110100 Member Posts: 44 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Personally one of my suggestions I have always wished would become a pet project would to have each race get a small homeworld city like the Bajor map where they would start as new players. And I would add a few quests to introduce players to what's special about their race.
  • Options
    captz1ppcaptz1pp Member Posts: 931 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    you remark made me think of the SG-1 episodes and the Ori... lol

When it comes to references, I keep expecting to see one of those sliding mini-text windows with someone going "C-Constructs, Constructs!", like that scene in the swamp from Krull.

Maybe they should add that in a future mission?
  • Options
    horridpersonhorridperson Member Posts: 665 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    I really like this idea. To me a "Homefront" series of content and quality of life improvements would be most welcome. With the alliance still in effect it would be nice to see access open to these locations to all factions. Because gameplay has been so oppositional maybe an enemy within plot line would mesh well for a related story series. From the Terra Prime movement to figures like Admiral Leyton there is no shortage of character's within who think they know best. A coup might be a plausible response to the perceived low readiness the coalition found itself in and a plotter who concealed his strength in shadows while the iconians weakened the combined military might have the strength to bring to bear. Politics make for strange bedfellows and a conspiracy that crossed factional boundaries is intriguing.

add on;

As a caveat I'd really prefer to see something more intimate/personal. Maybe a story sequence that engages the captain personally; What does it mean to npcs our captain's have established relationships with? More of less less of guns blazing armadas. You could always have a queued blow up the traitor armada event that wouldn't have to detract from the main story line.
    battlegroupad_zps8gon3ojt.jpg