Install Arc
Options

Star Trek Online: Homeworlds

13»

Comments

• Options
    mackbolan01mackbolan01 Member Posts: 580 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    maybe add a 2ndary ground mode similar to starcraft..............
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    I really like this idea. To me a "Homefront" series of content and quality of life improvements would be most welcome. With the alliance still in effect it would be nice to see access open to these locations to all factions. Because gameplay has been so oppositional maybe an enemy within plot line would mesh well for a related story series. From the Terra Prime movement to figures like Admiral Leyton there is no shortage of character's within who think they know best. A coup might be a plausible response to the perceived low readiness the coalition found itself in and a plotter who concealed his strength in shadows while the iconians weakened the combined military might have the strength to bring to bear. Politics make for strange bedfellows and a conspiracy that crossed factional boundaries is intriguing.

add on;

As a caveat I'd really prefer to see something more intimate/personal. Maybe a story sequence that engages the captain personally; What does it mean to npcs our captain's have established relationships with? More of less less of guns blazing armadas. You could always have a queued blow up the traitor armada event that wouldn't have to detract from the main story line.
    Hmm sound slike you have a concept. now to do something with it. :D *points at foundry* :P
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    wylonuswylonus Member Posts: 471 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    oops duplicate post, sorry
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    there are 4 orionian caste/races.

we all know green skins are stonger and big, males were bred for combat, and high rank officers, but elite males tend of have rare facial hairs and on scalps.
    and the females have body chemistry, it make non-orion females to have maigraine, and vulcans are immune, and any males get very agrressive and become hostile, they have long blackish hair, some ladies went bald due to low ranks, higher the rank, longer hair they have.
    any other hair color beside black is very rare, mostly use other color as wigs for fashion or social parties, they were sold as slave dancing girls, but they are actually matrons, bait for capturing other ships.

2nd Orion caste, uncommon race, thier skin complex are reddish-golden hue, with blonde to light brown hair. they tend to be very smart and they dont have ability like green women's body chemistry, and they are very rich and vanities, they copied italian's venitian-genose artistic style and fashion. they are merchants.

3rd race, very pale-light blue, hated by Andorains, they were seen in 1970's Star trek cartoon, they are grunts for green skin orions, now, they are banned from many regions, but actually isolated by green skins where they forbid any spaceship travel near a world as a "prison" for pale blues, they were often called up for wetworks and expendibles.

4th/last are known as "Ferals", they were hunted down since they are uncontrollable when they get angry, it is a myth to any outsiders, and known on Vulcan's ancient archives.
  • Options
    tigercatgirltigercatgirl Member Posts: 108 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    @OP
    You won't see changes like that, it will never happen. This is because PW has followed the same model every season.
    We must all unite to beat soso(enter new enemy name)

We had to unite to bet the borg
    we had to unite to beat the tholians
    we had to unite to beat the voth
    we had to unite to beat the vaadwar
    we had to unite to beat the iconians now

We have united..but there is not a new united fleet option. Fed can't go to Quonos, and kdf cannot go to ESD. You cannot team up with other factions in battlezones. I would like to see it too as it would follow Roddenberry's vision of Star Trek. I just don't think it will happen.
  • Options
    angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    wylonus wrote: »
    there are 4 orionian caste/races.

we all know green skins are stonger and big, males were bred for combat, and high rank officers, but elite males tend of have rare facial hairs and on scalps.
    and the females have body chemistry, it make non-orion females to have maigraine, and vulcans are immune, and any males get very agrressive and become hostile, they have long blackish hair, some ladies went bald due to low ranks, higher the rank, longer hair they have.
    any other hair color beside black is very rare, mostly use other color as wigs for fashion or social parties, they were sold as slave dancing girls, but they are actually matrons, bait for capturing other ships.

2nd Orion caste, uncommon race, thier skin complex are reddish-golden hue, with blonde to light brown hair. they tend to be very smart and they dont have ability like green women's body chemistry, and they are very rich and vanities, they copied italian's venitian-genose artistic style and fashion. they are merchants.

3rd race, very pale-light blue, hated by Andorains, they were seen in 1970's Star trek cartoon, they are grunts for green skin orions, now, they are banned from many regions, but actually isolated by green skins where they forbid any spaceship travel near a world as a "prison" for pale blues, they were often called up for wetworks and expendibles.

4th/last are known as "Ferals", they were hunted down since they are uncontrollable when they get angry, it is a myth to any outsiders, and known on Vulcan's ancient archives.

Where are you pulling that from? Th reason Orions looked different in TAS was because of coloring issues, they are not meant to look different. I don't recognize anything else you wrote as remotely familiar. Is it from the FASA games or something like this?
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • Options
    yreodredyreodred Member Posts: 3,527 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    We have united..but there is not a new united fleet option. Fed can't go to Quonos, and kdf cannot go to ESD. You cannot team up with other factions in battlezones. I would like to see it too as it would follow Roddenberry's vision of Star Trek. I just don't think it will happen.
    Some (most likely a vocal minority) KDF players doesn't want "Feddies" in "their" first city...
    Although KDF players are said to be more friendly part of STOs playerbase, obviously that counts only towards other KDF players... (Just an observation.)
    "...'With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured...the first thought forbidden...the first freedom denied--chains us all irrevocably.' ... The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged. I fear that today--" - (TNG) Picard, quoting Judge Aaron Satie

A tale of two Picards
    (also applies to Star Trek in general)
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    yreodred wrote: »
    Some (most likely a vocal minority) KDF players doesn't want "Feddies" in "their" first city...
    Although KDF players are said to be more friendly part of STOs playerbase, obviously that counts only towards other KDF players... (Just an observation.)

The other way around is just as true. I never got that kind of petty faction RP to the point it actually hurts the game. It's okay as long as it's lighthearted but some people take this waaay to seriously.
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    angrytarg wrote: »
    Where are you pulling that from? Th reason Orions looked different in TAS was because of coloring issues, they are not meant to look different. I don't recognize anything else you wrote as remotely familiar. Is it from the FASA games or something like this?
    http://memory-beta.wikia.com/wiki/Orion

Yeah, it's not official.

But... the very first mention of Orions in TOS did come with a hint that not all of them have green skin.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    thanks markhawkman, yes, that is it, 3rd one that i mentioned pale-light blue, are the "The Greys".
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    http://memory-beta.wikia.com/wiki/Orion

Yeah, it's not official.

But... the very first mention of Orions in TOS did come with a hint that not all of them have green skin.

Interesting, thanks for pointing that out. I just knew it was FASA :D

But as you also stated it's irrelevant to canon discussions.
    wylonus wrote:
    thanks markhawkman, yes, that is it, 3rd one that i mentioned pale-light blue, are the "The Greys".

It's easier if you include a remark that you are talking about fan fiction to avoid confusion. It can be included in the discussion, but memory-beta material is inofficial and as such irrelevant. Although I am not opposed to the idea that not all Orions are the same green, it's natural to assume Orions, like other species, have colour variants. But I find the idea to classify them in a "caste" system kind of nonsensical and a bit overly racist to be honest :D
    lFC4bt2.gif
  • Options
    nyniknynik Member Posts: 1,626 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Is there anything interesting to do on these worlds?

I thought Star Trek was about exploration, the Unknown, braving the unknown dangers out there, making contact with new life forms...
    The homeworld of the major known species are pretty much the opposite. And the Federation homeworlds have an especially low potenital for conflict, so...

Nope, I can totally see more useful things for the developers to add.

Star Trek for me always seemed more about shining a light on human traits by highlighting them, often individually, in stories featuring aliens & civilisations that were the epitome of those individual traits (stereotypes essentially). The message being to show how humans seem to be one of the few species (if not the only one) capable of a full spectrum of traits, both virtuous and vile, and how we can learn (today) from the mistakes of these fictional but potentially close-to-home alien caricatures.

To that end, I see boundless opportunities in using the existing UFP, KDF and RR races and homeworlds to explore all sorts of stories that again, shine the light on the player's own convictions.

I'd love to see such an expansion of content, but I can't see how it could be monetised to the main player group.
  • Options
    forcemajeureforcemajeure Member Posts: 212 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    I would be very interested in a "Homefront: Restoration" type of expansion. Similar to some of the ways they have done Delta Recruits with special Delta missions and goals, they could do a "Restoration" set of missions and goals.

After any major war, especially one in which the foe can penetrate directly to your home region, there is massive rebuilding to be done. Think Germany/Europe, Russia, Japan, South Korea after their wars and the revitalizing that the rebuilding there accomplished.

I can see a lot of space 'Bandits/Pirates/Slavers/Black Marketeers' type of missions, "Free the Colony from the Wartime Coup/Martial Law" types, ground based "Counter-Insurrection, Pockets of Resistance, Restore Order" types. 'Rescue' missions could be both space and ground.

I have also long thought that DOff missions with titles like "Support Construction Efforts of Starbase", 'Suliban Maintenance' etc should have a more 'tangible' effect than simply giving a DOff mission payout. Maybe something like that could bump up a counter until actual facilities / colonies are 'online' again (or new ones introduced).

Not forgetting of course, that 'seek out new life', 'strange new worlds', and even 'new technologies' can sometimes happen in your own 'back yard' (galactically speaking) when widespread destruction takes you to places and decisions you never faced before.
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    oh no no, i wasnt making racist remarks.
    just a fun fact about them so i can share info.
    we might not able to see the other orionians in the game. too much work for devs.

it was fun to explore other homeworlds and species we encounter in our "oddessey".
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    wylonus wrote: »
    oh no no, i wasnt making racist remarks.
    just a fun fact about them so i can share info.
    we might not able to see the other orionians in the game. too much work for devs.

it was fun to explore other homeworlds and species we encounter in our "oddessey".

Don't get me wrong, I never said you were making racist remarks, don't worry :). I mean the concept of having different coloured orions represent a static caste system, as memory-beta suggests.
    lFC4bt2.gif
  • Options
    thegrandnagus1thegrandnagus1 Member Posts: 5,165 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    f2pdrakron wrote: »
    And that worked so well didnt it?

I don't have access to those numbers, and neither do you, so neither one of us knows to what extent it worked, or didn't. However regardless of whether DR was handled in the best way, the alternating acquisition/retention strategies are still sound business strategy.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • Options
    fruitvendor12fruitvendor12 Member Posts: 615 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    risian4 wrote: »
    And yet when the Dominion war happened, they lost a core world (Betazed) because a fleet was 'on a training exercise'. Earth, one of the most important worlds in the Federation, was attacked because the fleet was diverted to DS9 and they couldn't spare a fleet capable of defending the capital of the entire Federation.
    "Ship: WARNING: This is a plot complication. WARNING: This is a plot complication!"
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    angrytarg wrote: »
    Don't get me wrong, I never said you were making racist remarks, don't worry :). I mean the concept of having different coloured orions represent a static caste system, as memory-beta suggests.
    Yeah, the FASA thing seems to be based entirely on their depiction in TOS. It doesn't match their depiction in TAS, regardless of whether you treat the skin tones of Devna and those blue Orions as errors. And outside of TAS, we've not seen Orions in other colors.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • Options
    bendalekbendalek Member Posts: 1,781 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    How about some parity with the 3 factions?

Create 'San Francisco" (or at least the Presidio) as the social hub for UFP players, with all the general stores, stalls and vendors (even add a "coffee shop" and various other "stores" like some of the ones on DS9).

There are so many "canon" places of interest the devs could add! So many buildings, streets, bars, clubs and restaurants form Star Trek!

Then make ESD purely a Spaceport and Shipyard. When you go to Sol, you beam down to 'Starfleet Headquarters' in San Francisco and from there you can then go to the Academy or ESD (same or similar as entering Qo'noS system now).

New Romulus has no city, no shipyards, and no academy, so it would be nice to have those added (for players who have completed the Romulan story arc and/or the Romulan Rep).

They already have a separate instance of Dewa III for new players of the Romulan Faction, so why not a separate instance for players who haven't completed certain missions?
    Oh, hoho hohhhhh, Oh,, hoho, hohhhhh
    My%20STO%20Sig%20Clear_zps5etu86s1.png