test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Star Trek Online: Homeworlds

angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
When all the grimdark warfighting shoot shoot shoot Iconian story arc is put to rest eventually, I would love to see a season or expansion dedicated to our "Homefront" so to speak.

In my opinion, the core worlds of our factions have been heavily neglected. Vulcan and Andoria are empty and outdated, Tellar Prime never saw it's own map, they didn't even get a ship and on the red side we never ever saw any form of social hub aside from Klingon ones.

My wishful thinking: Delegate some attention to the core worlds of the factions - fresh paint, functionality maybe even storylines. On the blue side at least Andoria, Vulcan and Tellar Prime should feature social maps with full functionality and some insight into those cultures. The Vulcan and Andorian ship trinity should be completed by a Tellarite cruiser (maybe a tender with detachable support crafts, there's a neglected thread in the shipyard section :)), the Tellarite models could use some tweaking (maybe add cloven hooves or three-digit hands as body options and the female Tellarites could need some re-imagining). On the red side I'd like to be able to visit the Gorn homeworld and use the classic Gorn models again with traditional Gorn attire, a Nausicaan mercenary starbase and some Orion hub that maybe doesn't look like a Syndicate hive but which reflects the broader nature of Orion society better - not all Orions are Syndicates, it is just one organization in a culture that developed outstanding scientific knowledge. Also new uniforms options would be nice, no need for all skimpy orions because slave girls became such a widely recognized thing. Orions like to wear clothes as well. Cross faction wise, New Romulus is still not one step closer to become more than a bunch of tents on an open field. A city and/or a Republic starbase would be nice to have.

Further, Deep Space Nine could use a little refurbishment and maybe Bajor could advance past the rioting population as well, at least once you completed that storyline.

I'm sure we get plenty of new villians to BFAW into oblivion, but it would be nice if we get some more nice places to rest our tired trigger hooves - erm fingers in between.

What do you think?
lFC4bt2.gif
^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
"No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
"A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
"That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    angrytarg wrote: »
    When all the grimdark warfighting shoot shoot shoot Iconian story arc is put to rest eventually, I would love to see a season or expansion dedicated to our "Homefront" so to speak.

In my opinion, the core worlds of our factions have been heavily neglected. Vulcan and Andoria are empty and outdated, Tellar Prime never saw it's own map, they didn't even get a ship and on the red side we never ever saw any form of social hub aside from Klingon ones.

My wishful thinking: Delegate some attention to the core worlds of the factions - fresh paint, functionality maybe even storylines. On the blue side at least Andoria, Vulcan and Tellar Prime should feature social maps with full functionality and some insight into those cultures. The Vulcan and Andorian ship trinity should be completed by a Tellarite cruiser (maybe a tender with detachable support crafts, there's a neglected thread in the shipyard section :)), the Tellarite models could use some tweaking (maybe add cloven hooves or three-digit hands as body options and the female Tellarites could need some re-imagining). On the red side I'd like to be able to visit the Gorn homeworld and use the classic Gorn models again with traditional Gorn attire, a Nausicaan mercenary starbase and some Orion hub that maybe doesn't look like a Syndicate hive but which reflects the broader nature of Orion society better - not all Orions are Syndicates, it is just one organization in a culture that developed outstanding scientific knowledge. Also new uniforms options would be nice, no need for all skimpy orions because slave girls became such a widely recognized thing. Orions like to wear clothes as well. Cross faction wise, New Romulus is still not one step closer to become more than a bunch of tents on an open field. A city and/or a Republic starbase would be nice to have.

Further, Deep Space Nine could use a little refurbishment and maybe Bajor could advance past the rioting population as well, at least once you completed that storyline.

I'm sure we get plenty of new villians to BFAW into oblivion, but it would be nice if we get some more nice places to rest our tired trigger hooves - erm fingers in between.

What do you think?

possibly. but the game is all as you put it, mindless "oblivion" that will likely be first and foremost, considering the past 5 years its always been like that.. i dont see much hope for expanded social zone and more political background to the game.

would be nice if taco came on and offered a potential direction his team could be taking, but really, i expect to see another war after this one. plenty more stories to follow.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • Options
    yreodredyreodred Member Posts: 3,527 Arc User
    edited May 2015

What do you think?
    I 100% support this!

Although i have no hope ever getting something else than more battlefields and combat, i'd love to see some more non military missions also.
    "...'With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured...the first thought forbidden...the first freedom denied--chains us all irrevocably.' ... The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged. I fear that today--" - (TNG) Picard, quoting Judge Aaron Satie

A tale of two Picards
    (also applies to Star Trek in general)
  • Options
    risian4risian4 Member Posts: 3,711 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Whatever they'll add in the new season, I hope it's something else than yet another conflict or a war. It's getting unrealistic to see, especially, the Federation and its allies in a constant state of conflict with a dozen other species.

The very reason your captain is given his own ship just after completing the tutorial is because the Federation is stretched thin and reaching its breaking point. Admiral Quinn says so himself, it's stated in several other short in-game trailers as well.

In the series, the Federation was never prepared for a war or even a small conflict like a single borg attack. Same for the Klingon Empire, there's a reason they allied themselves with the Federation during the Dominion War after all. Yet in STO we fight almost half the Galaxy in 2-3 years (assuming the war with the Klingon Empire had already been going on for a while in 2409).

It's not just that I would like to see a season focused on rebuilding, recolonisation and resupplying efforts, exploration and other non-war missions, it's more that it is desperately needed if the Federation and its allies are to survive. Or so it should be after so many conflicts. A core worlds or homeworlds revamp would be an exellent opportunity for that.

Give some meaning to all these conflicts, from the loss of Vega colony to the loss of '25% of the fleet' in the most recent episodes instead of just letting it happen or stating it happened and never deal with the consequences.
  • Options
    staq16staq16 Member Posts: 1,181 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    risian4 wrote: »
    In the series, the Federation was never prepared for a war or even a small conflict like a single borg attack. Same for the Klingon Empire, there's a reason they allied themselves with the Federation during the Dominion War after all. Yet in STO we fight almost half the Galaxy in 2-3 years (assuming the war with the Klingon Empire had already been going on for a while in 2409).

Ahem!

TOS: Errand of Mercy; both the aforementioned powers prepared for all-out war with each other before the Organians intervene.

TNG: Yesterday's Enterprise: At some point roughly 20 years before TNG, the Federation and Empire were again poised for war with each other.

DS9: Way of the Warrior; the Klingons commit 1/3 of their fleet to a (successful) full invasion of the Cardassian Union. That's not a small conflict.

Prior to WotW, we had a season's worth of the Federation preparing for all-out war with the Dominion, upgrading DS9 to hold off a fleet, bringing dedicated warships into service, etc.

If anything, it ends up with "Best of Both Worlds" looking like a massive wake up call (in which the Federation sent obsolescent ships against the Borg, and they then lined up neatly to be cut apart...) which means the Federation is actually prepared when the Dominion shows up.

Kind of makes you wonder what Q was thinking...
  • Options
    luddimusluddimus Member Posts: 133 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    The first time I was able to visit andoria was during the anniversery event, I hope they have it as the next winter event
  • Options
    bendalekbendalek Member Posts: 1,781 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    As mush as I'm %100 in favour of this ... It'll NEVER happen.

They can't even introduce 1 extra Vulcan or Andorian Ship, and the "blue side" (as you call it) have been a full faction since the game started.

Simply ... There's no money in "renovating" old content. Instead we'll get more new "shinies" for the masses to spend $$$ on.
    Oh, hoho hohhhhh, Oh,, hoho, hohhhhh
    My%20STO%20Sig%20Clear_zps5etu86s1.png
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    staq16 wrote: »
    Ahem!

TOS: Errand of Mercy; both the aforementioned powers prepared for all-out war with each other before the Organians intervene.

TNG: Yesterday's Enterprise: At some point roughly 20 years before TNG, the Federation and Empire were again poised for war with each other.

DS9: Way of the Warrior; the Klingons commit 1/3 of their fleet to a (successful) full invasion of the Cardassian Union. That's not a small conflict.

Prior to WotW, we had a season's worth of the Federation preparing for all-out war with the Dominion, upgrading DS9 to hold off a fleet, bringing dedicated warships into service, etc.

Kind of makes you wonder what Q was thinking...

And yet when the Dominion war happened, they lost a core world (Betazed) because a fleet was 'on a training exercise'. Earth, one of the most important worlds in the Federation, was attacked because the fleet was diverted to DS9 and they couldn't spare a fleet capable of defending the capital of the entire Federation.

Just because they saw war coming in some cases and were preparing to fight, doesn't mean they were actually prepared to defend their own territory. There's a difference between preparing yourself and be prepared. ;)

Perhaps I should have stated that a bit more clearly. Anyway, how many times do we hear that a fleet has to be assembled when a borg cube shows up? Instead of having a standard defence fleet or automated defences at core worlds? How many times do we see a station being blown up (like in Generations) because it was build somewhere without proper defences being placed there as well?
    The Federation, to me, never seemed capable of defending its own territory. It was often some mixture of dumb luck or deus ex machina like the Prophet's intervention or plot armor that was needed to save the Federation or some important ship.

So the idea that the Federation is capable of fighting the Klingon Empire, the Tal Shiar, Elachi, occasional enemies like Chrystalline enemies, the Borg, Undine, Voth, Vaadwaur, Breen, Tholians, Dominion/Karu'kan, hold two Dyson spheres while supporting the Romulan Republic and defending Cardassian territory makes me wonder which Federation we are dealing with. Especially since that same Federation and it's allies, on top of all those conflicts and losses, apparantly still can lose 25% of its fleet in one day and still survive. Doesn't look like it's the same Federation from the series.

It'd be nice if we could get some peace in the next season. If the writers want us to believe that the Federation is really stretched thin and this war really is that disturbing, they're going to have to show us. Otherwise I tend to think the Federation isn't actually capable of defending itself so they just made one giant plot hole, never explaining how the Federation dealt with all these conflicts, never showing any consequences. I hope we'll see some of those in the next season.
  • Options
    abqapacheabqapache Member Posts: 18 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    I'd like to see some expansion on the homeworlds as well. Namely since we now have the following on the map:

1.Betazed
    2. Trill
    3. Ferenginar
    4. Denobula
    5. Breen
    6. Cardassia

I'd like to see maps associated to these locations. Missions is asking alot, but that would be great as well.

I imagine the iconian story arc may span multiple seasons (hopefuly) and maybe an expansion like this could be brought to the table.

:)
  • Options
    stofskstofsk Member Posts: 1,744 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    I'd like it if the game returned to exploring strange new worlds and new civilisations rather than be Warhammer: The Final Frontier.
  • Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Is there anything interesting to do on these worlds?

I thought Star Trek was about exploration, the Unknown, braving the unknown dangers out there, making contact with new life forms...
    The homeworld of the major known species are pretty much the opposite. And the Federation homeworlds have an especially low potenital for conflict, so...

Nope, I can totally see more useful things for the developers to add.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    commanderkassycommanderkassy Member Posts: 1,005 Arc User
    edited May 2015

What do you think?

You seem to be mistaking this for a Star Trek game.
    ♪ I'm going around not in circles but in spirographs.
    It's pretty much this hard to keep just one timeline intact. ♪
  • Options
    flash525flash525 Member Posts: 5,441 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    I would agree with the concept of extending Earth, Qo'nos and Mol'rhian, but not so much Andor, Vulcan and Tellar Prime; they'd only end up being repeats of Earth. Then it all comes down to what it is, specifically, that we'd like to see. We can't expect to be waging war on our homeworlds, so it'll come down more to exploring which can be less of an interest. A lot of people just want to shoot things and max out their DPS.
    attachment.php?attachmentid=42556&d=1518094222
  • Options
    yreodredyreodred Member Posts: 3,527 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    ... snip because of length...

So the idea that the Federation is capable of fighting the Klingon Empire, the Tal Shiar, Elachi, occasional enemies like Chrystalline enemies, the Borg, Undine, Voth, Vaadwaur, Breen, Tholians, Dominion/Karu'kan, hold two Dyson spheres while supporting the Romulan Republic and defending Cardassian territory makes me wonder which Federation we are dealing with. Especially since that same Federation and it's allies, on top of all those conflicts and losses, apparantly still can lose 25% of its fleet in one day and still survive. Doesn't look like it's the same Federation from the series.
    It's mostly because of bad writing of the Series imo. They obviously have no idea about tactics and how a (Star)Fleet would handle things related to war.
    Just look at most skirmishes we saw on TV, most of them where sloppy organized and are almost always on the brink of failure. (that's because it's a TV show and a perfect organized fleet wouldn't offer many thrilling stories, they think. ;) )
    It'd be nice if we could get some peace in the next season. If the writers want us to believe that the Federation is really stretched thin and this war really is that disturbing, they're going to have to show us. Otherwise I tend to think the Federation isn't actually capable of defending itself so they just made one giant plot hole, never explaining how the Federation dealt with all these conflicts, never showing any consequences. I hope we'll see some of those in the next season.
    Yeah, i'd like to see some rebuilding and exploration after the war. Time to make STO a star TREK game.
    "...'With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured...the first thought forbidden...the first freedom denied--chains us all irrevocably.' ... The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged. I fear that today--" - (TNG) Picard, quoting Judge Aaron Satie

A tale of two Picards
    (also applies to Star Trek in general)
  • Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    You seem to be mistaking this for a Star Trek game.

What Star Trek game ever spend much (or any) time exploring homeworlds?

Star Trek: 25th Anniversary?
    Star Trek: Judgement Ritse?
    Star Trek: A Final Unity?
    Star Trek Armada?
    Star Trek: Borg?
    Elite Force?

Maybe you're lucky and can cite Star Trek Academy and Star Trek Klingon Academy as examples?
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    philipclaybergphilipclayberg Member Posts: 1,680
    edited May 2015
    staq16 wrote: »

Apparently enough viewers were bored with the lack of excitement in DS9's episodes, so the Dominion War was introduced. And, surprise, the ratings went up.

Humans. Suppressed bloodthirst, the more violent the sport/entertainment the better. You'd think we were really Klingons on the inside. Maybe we are.
  • Options
    dmtdmt Member Posts: 194 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Maybe, and I support the idea of less missions where you simply blow things up and kill aliens, the diplomatic/exploration/rebuilding missions could reward three times as much as an 'normal' mission on the same level
  • Options
    sennahcheribsennahcherib Member Posts: 2,823 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    yreodred wrote: »
    I 100% support this!

Although i have no hope ever getting something else than more battlefields and combat, i'd love to see some more non military missions also.

same thing for me; i would like also less fights and more other things to do. but pew-pew seems the only path followed by this game. this is sad, because STO could offer more than only: fight, destroy, kill them all.
    Nausicaan mercenary/pirate starbase

+ 200% :)
  • Options
    ammianusammianus Member Posts: 85 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    I do support OP. We need more exploration missions, and less battle. After all, we do always have space and ground queues and Fleet actions. After the carnage of the Iconian war (and all previous wars) we need a deep personal story, focused on a smaller area of space, but the one which is well populated, and fully built. Core worlds idea will be nice enough, uncovering a conspiracy that could destroy the Federation from within, and is against everything Federation stands for. But the problem here is that then we should have two separate storylines, for Starfleet and KDF. Which is expensive...but hopefuly Cryptic can do it. Perhaps a ship can be a new hub, so they can reuse the interior of two new new ships (as I am sure that ENT-F will not see the end of the War, so we may get ENT-G as a new flagship).

Also, another idea to ponder about. Instead of Federation core, why not make a season which does focus on some borderland area, where player must make a First contact and work with integration of that race into Federation. There could be a nice diplomatic style arc, and will include making of some difficult decisions (heavily relying on a Prime Directive). PD was used in Kobali front missions, but not enough. Klingons would get same arc, same arc and everything, but would have different approach than Federation. Romulans would get chance to shine, as Republic would have its own approach too + some machinations of Tal SHiar.

What do you think? And I seriously do hope that Cryptic is following this forum, and that they will at least consider some of those ideas.
  • Options
    fovrelfovrel Member Posts: 1,448 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    The game should expand more on different homeworlds. What else can it do? Another battlezone, another reputation or specialization. This will only lead to more of the same. There are not 50 ways of killing your enemy. So more sims stuff will enrich the game as a 'new' T6 B'Rel will not. Yeah, you can give it a super battle cloak, so it can fire all weapons while decloaked, but is that really new?

Those homeworlds could have all kinds of minigames. Klingons and a Bat'leth tournament for instance. I also want an update of new romulus, with an accessable hub for the Remans. Afterall New Romulus will be build at some point. It can't be a work in progress forever.
  • Options
    ammianusammianus Member Posts: 85 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    fovrel wrote: »
    I also want an update of new romulus, with an accessable hub for the Remans. Afterall New Romulus will be build at some point. It can't be a work in progress forever.

For that devs need to introduce phasing system. So the pre-Iconian war players see a bit different galaxy than the war veterans. We should have a palpable sense of progression. Hopefully, Cryptic is already working on it.
  • Options
    jellico1jellico1 Member Posts: 2,719
    edited May 2015
    I think spending as lot of time and resources on the homeworlds would be a waste

Personally I believe STO should go open sandbox with exploration and a player driven economy much like SWG had in its begining
    Jellico....Engineer ground.....Da'val Romulan space Sci
    Saphire.. Science ground......Ko'el Romulan space Tac
    Leva........Tactical ground.....Koj Romulan space Eng

JJ-Verse will never be Canon or considered Lore...It will always be JJ-Verse
  • Options
    thegrandnagus1thegrandnagus1 Member Posts: 5,165 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    What do you think?

I think this is unlikely to happen. Not long ago, Al Rivera made some interesting comments in one of his interviews about how they alternate between "acquisition strategies" and "retention strategies". The purpose of the acquisition strategy is to get *new* players to sign up, and this is typically done with a new faction expansion like Legacy of Romulus. The purpose of the retention strategy is to keep *existing* players from leaving, and this is typically done with a high level expansion like Delta Rising.

So you are probably wondering, what the heck does this have to do with my idea? Well, if they follow that pattern, the next expansion will probably be another acquisition strategy, and will likely be a new faction. Since the "homeworlds" you want to see fleshed out are all pretty much in the territory of the *existing* factions, and their respective species are already members of *existing* factions, that would not really jive with the idea of adding a new faction, which would be located elsewhere in sector space(likely Gamma quadrant).

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    Except they aren't

For the longest time the only war was between the Feds and Klingons.

Then they detoured to several small and rouge elements of other factions, beat them in a couple battles, never went to war with any of them, and only got into another actual WAR with the Voth.

Well it may not be an official war, but it's not really important what you call it. The point is, there's a lot of conflicts going on, all resulting in losses which, especially when you add all up, should have some visible impact.
  • Options
    geminisierrageminisierra Member Posts: 180 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    I wouldn't mind seeing updates done to existing spaces like DS9 or the First City... and others.

I also wouldn't mind finding small colonies to "trade" with instead of having to call the trade ships or use the replicator or have to run half way across a map to a starbase to sell stuff.
    Along that line, to make these colonies accessible, a small mission could be setup to "help" them some how... "talk to mayor, fix 10 things" etc and/or a DOFF chain to trade supplies before the place opens up.

Other homeworlds opened up with things to do on them... daily missions on them or a daily mission to visit them all, maybe part of the Tour the Galaxy mission?

you could make a .5 season to rebuild after the last war.
  • Options
    amezukiamezuki Member Posts: 364 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    I also wouldn't mind finding small colonies to "trade" with instead of having to call the trade ships or use the replicator or have to run half way across a map to a starbase to sell stuff.

Along that line, to make these colonies accessible, a small mission could be setup to "help" them some how... "talk to mayor, fix 10 things" etc and/or a DOFF chain to trade supplies before the place opens up.
    I can't even tell you how much I freaking love this idea.

Want to give homeworlds more flavor, a point to going there? Too much work to design a new social maps that won't get enough usage to justify the time and cost? Instead, make the planets interactive just like the colonization clusters. Then make players jump through a reasonable series of hoops to unlock doff assignments specific to that planet--with a heavy focus on Trade and Diplomacy assignments. The end of the assignment/mission chain would result in the ability to open a trade interface with that world.

It would actually give players a reason to travel to all of these different systems for more than just a one-off patrol mission or running Tour. And as changes go it strikes me as one that would benefit from mostly leveraging existing functionality.
    Fleet Admiral L'Yern - Screenshot and doffing addict
    Eclipse Class Intel Cruiser U.S.S. Dioscuria NX-91121-A - Interactive Crew Roster
  • Options
    paxfederaticapaxfederatica Member Posts: 1,496 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    same thing for me; i would like also less fights and more other things to do. but pew-pew seems the only path followed by this game. this is sad, because STO could offer more than only: fight, destroy, kill them all.

+ 200% :)

I highly doubt STO will ever transition into anything resembling "peacetime" mode, for the simple reason that STO was designed to revolve around building ships, training and equipping your captain and your BOffs to perform in combat. All of that would be rendered pretty much useless by a shift to peacetime. DPS and survivability are irrelevant when the focus is on diplomacy, which lends itself more to glorified puzzle, clickie and DOff missions than to missions that actually put your shipbuilding and crew-building skills to the test.
  • Options
    captz1ppcaptz1pp Member Posts: 931 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    How about we introduce those worlds with the idea that Heralds are sent to convince the planetary leaders to join the Iconians (rejoin in some cases, I imagine some current species are old enough to have been under their control long ago), and we respond either just with force, or with words first.