Should the kdf join the federation?

2»

Comments

• thecosmic1thecosmic1 Member Posts: 9,365 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Aaaahh, this is another one of the "Feds can never have enough" threads :D

Sorry boys, no LOL

If you want your Orion, roll KDF.

This ends your Public Service Announcement.
    If only you had bothered to read the OP...

The question being asked in the OP was, since the Devs cannot seem to make new ships and whatnot for the KDF and Roms would it be better to just have them join the Fed Faction so that the KDF players can have access to T6 science ships and all the rest of the perks the Feds have?
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
  • nathraelnathrael Member Posts: 264 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    We are the Federation. Lower your shields and await assimilation. We shall add your cultural and technological distinctiveness to our own. Your culture will adapt to service us. Resistance is futile...

Jokes aside, likely will never happen. The two societies are just too different. As others have pointed out a treaty is workable, amalgamation absolutely not. Something would have to drastically change in both civilizations to make it work.

Or just some really awful writing.
  • ssbn655ssbn655 Member Posts: 1,894 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    angrytarg wrote: »
    I don't know how serious you are, but why are cultures surpressed? Starfleet is supposed to be uniform service as it incorporates all member worlds and is supposed to be a multi-racial service, but the Federation is, well, a Federation and allows it's memberworlds a great deal of freedom. It is true tht we never saw much besides Starfleet in the shows, but nothing hints at surpressing cultures. I don't say that there are no shady plans going on behind the scenes, that was made clear in various installments of Trek.

But overall, your post reminds me of something... :D

LOL Monty Python got to love it.
    Seriously though yes Starfleet is as you say multicultural and thats all well and good. BUT the Federation only allows individual worlds freedom to a point. Once an individual worlds culture reachs a point where it can upset the cart which is the Federation it gets repressed in one form or another. Either by strong arm tactics Piece of the Action comes to mind or outright meddling as in TNG with the society of clones forcing them to breed with a cruder society instead of asking for volunteers to donate cells for cloning. Thne there is the Kobali being a culture of Zombies and well thats a no no using dead tissue to continue thier culture. Then we have Rikers transporter clone thats ok as another Riker helps the common good. So the Federation has a double standard if it benefits the entire federation go ahead but if it benefits only your culture well thats a no no which is a sure sign of a repressive dictatorship.
  • supergirl1611supergirl1611 Member Posts: 809 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Don't give Geko any ideas to hammer the final nail into the KDF coffin and finally have a water tight excuse to no longer develop content for the KDF faction.

To Quote Admiral Cartwright : I must protest. To offer the Klingons a safe haven within Federation space is suicide. Klingons would become the alien trash of the galaxy. And if we dismantle the fleet, we'd be defenceless before an aggressive species with a foothold on our territory
    edited May 2015
    To Quote Admiral Cartwright : I must protest. To offer the Klingons a safe haven within Federation space is suicide. Klingons would become the alien trash of the galaxy. And if we dismantle the fleet, we'd be defenceless before an aggressive species with a foothold on our territory
    And then he went to prison. :)
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
  • chalpenchalpen Member Posts: 2,207 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Don't give Geko any ideas to hammer the final nail into the KDF coffin and finally have a water tight excuse to no longer develop content for the KDF faction.

Every week it is a new nail.
    Time to pack it in.
    Should I start posting again after all this time?
  • warmaker001bwarmaker001b Member Posts: 9,205 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    thecosmic1 wrote: »

The question being asked in the OP was, since the Devs cannot seem to make new ships and whatnot for the KDF and Roms would it be better to just have them join the Fed Faction so that the KDF players can have access to T6 science ships and all the rest of the perks the Feds have?

Then you clearly didn't have any reading comprehension. From the OP:

"That way feds have acces to bird of preys and warbirds and kdf/roms to science ships and ship traits."

It's another veiled attempt to grab things unique to the other factions. It would also look completely ridiculous than STO already is.

Starfleet flying BOPs and Warbirds.

KDF/Roms flying Vestas.

Am I the only one around here that can see how stupid that's going to look?
    XzRTofz.gif
  • trennantrennan Member Posts: 2,839 Arc User
    edited May 2015

It not that they can't make new ships and whatnot for the Romulans and KDF. It just pure and simple they won't make it. I'm mean yeah. we have new T6 ships. Which are either a weaker version of what the Feds got or just a reskin of an older ship with some stat adjustments.

Primary example being. The T6 Science Command Battlecruiser. Just starting out, ignore the skin(you kind of have to its ugly), take away its T6 abilities. Then compare it's stat block to that of the Fleet Corsair and you get...

The T6 Science Command Battlecruiser only has the following that is different(the stat adjustments I just mentioned) from the Fleet Corsair. It has more hull, it has 250 less crew, and the Lt Science Boff slot is now universal. There you go, Cryptics overall amount of work on this, is probably 2 days of work on the skin, which really isn't all that different from half the ships in our fleetyard.
    Mm5NeXy.gif
    edited May 2015

"That way feds have acces to bird of preys and warbirds and kdf/roms to science ships and ship traits."

It's another veiled attempt to grab things unique to the other factions. It would also look completely ridiculous than STO already is.

KDF/Roms flying Vestas.

And do you want me to paste the other 7 paragraphs of the OP's post that does not contain that single sentence?
  • warmaker001bwarmaker001b Member Posts: 9,205 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    And do you want me to paste the other 7 paragraphs of the OP's post that does not contain that single sentence?

LOL, you REALLY NEED to read the original post. Most especially towards the bottom :rolleyes:
    XzRTofz.gif
    edited May 2015
    LOL, you REALLY NEED to read the original post. Most especially towards the bottom :rolleyes:
    Since you apparently do not want to read:
    One year ago, if someone asked me that question i would laughed at him and told him he is crazy.
    Well, funny how things have changed.

Right now the kdf is in a pretty bad spot. The devs don't make new stuff like kdf specific episodes/content ( we still don't know for sure if the fek'Ihri are made by the fedaration/section 31, iconians or hur'q ) or science ships because the kdf doesn't generate enough money.
    In the other way, new players don't have many reasons to create a kdf toon since the feddies get all the shienes. The fact that lockboxes got consoles of the other factions didn't helped.

Romulans are in a similiar situation. The hype of lor with sing cores, romulan battle cloak, romulan space traits and the scimitar is over and now a lack of new stuff exist too there. There is no full carrier and only one science ship.

When they add cardissians, they will likely share the same fate as the romulans, especially when the devs said that the romulan mini faction will serve as template for all future factions.

Since neither devs are willing to actually support their other factions and nor the players to try something else than the federation which they they knew from the different series, i think the devs should just merge fed and kdf.
    All of this is about Cryptic not being able to support Factions other then the Feds, and presenting an idea on how to accept that. The last sentence is simply saying: The Feds can get some benefit too.

When you read a novel do you just read a single sentence and assume the entire book is about that?
  • trennantrennan Member Posts: 2,839 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    ssbn655 wrote: »
    Oh hell no. Please I don't want the vanilla feel of the Federation. Sure I play Fed but lets be honest here.
    First off the Federation is not all that benevolent as you want to believe. It supresses cultures (Andorian culture is great example) into a McDonadls brand of blandness. It restricts rsearch on the grounds of "Oh it could be a weapon or whatever excuse they care to make."
    No I do not want the Klingon Empire to be part of the Politicly Correct gang of control freaks that is the federation.
    Sure the Dev's have kept the Klingon faction on the back burner and pretty much reduced the ships to a paint job on Fed stuff. I am for one VERY HAPPY THERE ARE NO REAL SCIENCE SHIPS IN THE KDF! OP misses what the D stands for "DEFENSE" AKA MILITARY not expoloration not research but MILITARY! I for one as a military veteran like this.

Look at your Science ships. Other than the name "Science" or "Exploration" on them. What about them make them science or exploration. I mean they're nothing more than Exotic Murder Weapons. These are weapons of WAR. Not the peaceful run around and scan that plant or rub that rock, or hug that bunny you're making them out to be.

Medicine, Biological, Nuclear, Biochemical, and Geological. These are all the things a US Army Soldier of today has to take in to account. They're trained to handled each one of these as they all pose risks to the mission they're assigned to. I should know, I was a US Army Soldier for 11 years. So even the MODERN ARMIES OF TODAY, much less the KDF, Romulans, or Federation. You have to know the dangers of what each of these are and how to DEFEND against them.

Your arguement is arbitrary and short-sighted at best.
    Mm5NeXy.gif
  • mimey2mimey2 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2015

KDF/Roms flying Vestas.

Nah, don't worry about it Warmaker. Most players are VERY vain. They have to be in a ship that looks good, while their character looks equally good. The 'ugliness' of Klingon and other Klingon-servitor race ships would keep a lot of people out of em.

And besides, I REALLY doubt most would ever bring themselves to fly in a ship that is far less superior to anything else in the game (BoPs so I'm being clear about it), irregardless of how 'good' they think it is.

At most you'd see those types flying more Romulan ships over KDF ships.

Though, if this DID actually happen, I'd shockingly be more willing to buy ships and ship packs, as I could literally use them on ALL characters without question.
    I remain empathetic to the concerns of my community, but do me a favor and lay off the god damn name calling and petty remarks. It will get you nowhere.
    I must admit, respect points to Trendy for laying down the law like that.
  • cptjhuntercptjhunter Member Posts: 2,288 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Klingon Empire submit to the will of the Federation? No. Not now, NOT EVER!!!!!!!!!:mad:
  • terlokiterloki Member Posts: 287 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    From a gameplay/dev point of view, it might be a good way to bring some life back into the KDF, even if they just went "Super special awesome best friends forever treaty time" and sharing all/nearly all content it would help, if not outright joining the Federation.

From a story perspective...

+ More territory, more room to colonize and more resources!
    + Less pressure to do research, unless you really WANT to hang out with Vulcans all day. Weirdo.
    + We get to whip that Starfleet into a real fighting force, learn some of their tricks too!
    + Federation defensive tech + Klingon offensive tech = Win
    + More time for opera and drinking!
    - No more pillaging.
    - Bar fights are frowned upon.
    - Promotions involve paperwork, not d'k tahgs.
    - Federation diplomacy usually doesn't involve Bat'leths. Or disruptors. Or threats.
    - Can't kill Romulans for looking at us wrong anymore.
    - Have to be nice to people.
    - Including Vulcans.
    - And Bajorans.
    - And Ferengi.
    - And tribbles.

Obviously the minuses win this one.
    Admiral Katrina Tokareva - U.S.S. Cosmos, Yorktown-class Star Cruiser
    Admiral Dananra Lekall - R.R.W. Teverresh, Deihu-class Warbird
    General J'Kar son of K'tsulan - I.K.S. Dlahath, Vo'devwl-class Carrier
  • breadandcircusesbreadandcircuses Member Posts: 2,355 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    mimey2 wrote: »
    Though, if this DID actually happen, I'd shockingly be more willing to buy ships and ship packs, as I could literally use them on ALL characters without question.

*Sigh* Even if just the Starship Traits had been account unlocks, that would have sold me on several ships that I've basically written off entirely. Ah well...
    Ym9x9Ji.png
    meimeitoo wrote: »
    I do not like Geko ether.
    iconians wrote: »
    With each passing day I wonder if I stepped into an alternate reality. The Cubs win the world series. Donald Trump is President. Britain leaves the EU. STO gets a dedicated PvP season. Engineers are "out of control" in STO.​​
  • rosetyler51rosetyler51 Member Posts: 1,631 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    There is pretty much people on both sides (KDF/Fed) who don't want this and I'm both. The Feds have nothing worth the mess that First City would turn into when Starfleet starts wandering about the Grand Hall and Orions in Club 47 sounds wrong.

Also lets do some simple math. What does the KDF really gain from joining the Feds. Pretty much science ships. I know you could bring up starship traits but really between lockbox ships, specs, freebie ships, and what ever else I forgot there is enough traits for the KDF to choose from.

What does the Feds stand to gain from the Empire. Two good carriers, battlecruisers, raiders, and a strong lineup of ships with cloaks.

They have history, fanlove, and lore out the backside but really what do the Feds bring to the table besides wide eyed hope that everything will be alright.

TL;DR Fed Science ships ain't worth the cost of being Klingon and the KDF on ESD is not something the cleaners can handle
  • hyefatherhyefather Member Posts: 1,286 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    No they should kill all the Fed males, make sex slaves out of the wemon and throw all the children to the crocodiles. That way the don't polute the Klingon genology pool. After that blow up earth and drink blook wine. Good times, good times.
  • senatorvreenaksenatorvreenak Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    No absolutely not, this is completely the opposite of what needs to happen.

What needs to happen is for Cryptic to start giving a damn about the different factions, and actually scrap the copy-and-paste federation missions entirely and create brand new Romulan and KDF specific story arcs.
  • thunderfoot#5163 thunderfoot Member Posts: 4,545 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Not gonna happen in STO. Reason? it would require the Dev Team to acknowledge the existence of non-Fed players. Something they are not equipped to do. LoR was neatly turned into a one off and a gimped one off at that.

The only way I can see something like this happening is if the entire current Dev Team was let go en masse and a new bunch was hired immediately.

On second thought...Great idea, OP! :D
    A six year old boy and his starship. Living the dream.
  • martinisonmartinison Member Posts: 33 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    As others have mentioned I'd be thrilled to get full cross-faction teaming. Not allowing us to team is just annoying. I realize it would take a little reworking for some of the queued missions but this would be very popular among all the KDF aligned players I know. As for a full merger, not going to happen and probably shouldn't. Why sell you one ship you can use on all characters when they can sell you a slight variation of the same ship 3 times!
  • jorantomalakjorantomalak Member Posts: 7,133 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    That would be so entertaining. the Klingon Kry threads would last for months :rolleyes:

That would be entertaining as all holy hell lol :D

As far as the klink as fed sure why not 90% of the content of this game is geared towards the feddy bears i mean i was doing the missions on kobali prime and as a kling general..

wasnt i suprised when my klingon general is giving a captain a snap salute and following the prime directive like a good little feddy bear.....wait i didnt know klingons followed the prime directive..

and why was my general giving a captain ..a subordinate officer a standard federation snap salute so at this point i dont see any more reason not to have the klingons join the feddy bears.

some may say PvP PvP PvP.....seriously? you people cant still believe that the PvP in this game is still worth doing.

so i say have the klingons join the federation aswell as the romulans and cardassians...and while were at it the dominion and undine aswell with the vaadwaur and iconians to join at a later date.
  • xenificationxenification Member Posts: 615 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    I think most people prefer the TNG-era relationship: allies, but not members.

I would be in support of a Cross-Faction Lockbox, though. The Rewards could include a T6 ship from another Faction, as well as T6 playable species and Boffs. That way a KDF player could get his hands on a T6 Fed Science ship, if he wanted it.

I would only support it if it was a hybrid ship.

both klingon and federation technology that has a unique design incorporating the best visual looks of both factions (if thats possible). lock box faction ships would be silly and continuously undermine whatever uniqueness the factions have left in the game.

I wouldnt of them joining though, I do infact agree I prefer the TNG-era relationship and actually the latter DS9 relationship.

TNG it was allies but not quite friends it was fun.
    DS9 was more or less brothers in arms if you discount seasons 1-5 :P until roughly call to arms i believe or just a few episodes before.
  • sernonserculionsernonserculion Member Posts: 749 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    No need to flush the game down the toilet, just to make a point out of how watered down it is.
  • bobbydazlersbobbydazlers Member Posts: 4,534 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    I cant see kdf ever becoming a full federation member, as was in the series an uneasy alliance is the best I believe we will ever have.

if they were to become full federation members it would make choosing a faction at the start a pointless exercise, it would also mean that they would need to open earth space dock and the fed academy to kdf characters and qo,nos and the kdf academy to the fed characters.
    it would also make many of the early story missions seem silly.

regardless of how many fearsome enemy kdf`s & fed`s might face together the joining of forces will be more from necessity then want.

When I think about everything we've been through together,

maybe it's not the destination that matters, maybe it's the journey,

and if that journey takes a little longer,

so we can do something we all believe in,

I can't think of any place I'd rather be or any people I'd rather be with.

• voivodjevoivodje Member Posts: 436 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    marcel314 wrote: »
    Right now the kdf is in a pretty bad spot.
    GOD, you're hilarious. XD

The KDF (and later the Roms) have always been in that spot, brother.
    Not to mention the Borg.

I almost forgot to answer your question: Think that'll solve anything?
    It won't.

The STO-powers that be should equal things out in a different way: give these three factions some real attention.
    Merging would not do anyone any good.
  • meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    chalpen wrote: »
    Yes but "the people of this generation will have the hardest time with it" doesn't mean it shouldn't happen.
    It should.

Apt quote. :)

I think I would welcome the idea, eventually. Of course, then the Gorn et. al. need to join too (the entire 'Dark Side', basically).

When, at long last, the Borg join too, or the Iconians, that will probably be my clue to leave the game. :P
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • hatchetl4dhatchetl4d Member Posts: 130 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    I would like to be able to team with feds. Like it is now, I can only play my KDF toon alone if I feel like.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]