test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

=/\= New/next faction discussion/brainstorm =/\=

Comments

• huskerklghuskerklg Member Posts: 561 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Disagree that the Rom Republic was that ridiculous of an idea. Even strictly in a lore sense the possibility was there.
  • thegrandnagus1thegrandnagus1 Member Posts: 5,165 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    huskerklg wrote: »
    Disagree that the Rom Republic was that ridiculous of an idea. Even strictly in a lore sense the possibility was there.

I understand, and I never said everyone felt that way.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • mainamaina Member Posts: 430 Arc User
    edited May 2015

Rebublic join us yes, Empire no.

Cardass...See above, they have already split.

Borg...sigh...yeah they split but really? I guess having a borg faction allied with the FED is not that big a stretch when we accept that a collective has a "symbol"/"badge".

Can't wait till people tell me what a collective has as rank titles.... (Queen was ok if you want to make them a caste based system. Little Borg Bees....).
    gHF1ABR.jpg
  • bunansabunansa Member Posts: 928 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    jermbot wrote: »
    Seriously? It was like three sentences, you couldn't possibly be this confused about the point he was making when it was only three sentences long.

You're behind because you can't read three sentences.

Like Young with Rush, you're a lot of work.

I can read multiple sentences, 3, 4, hell maybe even 5.

My point, and its still a valid point is that the Cardassians and Dominion have so much already given to the entire player base as far as ships go that it would be more beneficial for the 2 to be packaged together as it were, it doesn't have to be one perfect faction, lord knows the feds are the only ones that get that treatment.

It could be a great story, with the Iconians on the loose, old enemies and old alies are all on the same side for once

Quite frankly, we should have had DS9 as the focal point for stuff, not the delta quadrant, I watched voyager, like many others, and well, there is no real exploration left, that wormhole is our exploration, it is TREK. (plus it isn't some silly cooked up way of getting to another quadrant)

I am going to dial the gate and leave this topic now. Enjoy.
    tumblr_ndmkqm59J31r5ynioo2_r2_500.gif

• lianthelialianthelia Member Posts: 7,825 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    bunansa wrote: »
    Like Young with Rush, you're a lot of work.

I can read multiple sentences, 3, 4, hell maybe even 5.

My point, and its still a valid point is that the Cardassians and Dominion have so much already given to the entire player base as far as ships go that it would be more beneficial for the 2 to be packaged together as it were, it doesn't have to be one perfect faction, lord knows the feds are the only ones that get that treatment.

It could be a great story, with the Iconians on the loose, old enemies and old alies are all on the same side for once

Quite frankly, we should have had DS9 as the focal point for stuff, not the delta quadrant, I watched voyager, like many others, and well, there is no real exploration left, that wormhole is our exploration, it is TREK. (plus it isn't some silly cooked up way of getting to another quadrant)

I am going to dial the gate and leave this topic now. Enjoy.

Umm what? The Cardassians have one ship given away 1...where as the Dominion has lost its entire Armada to lock boxes except the BC.

The Galor doesn't even have to be a endgame ship for the Cardassians...or least it doesn't need to be T6...the Keldon

"The Keldon class was first introduced into the Cardassian fleet in 2371. These vessels were superior to the Galor-class, and possibly built to replace them."

So the Galor can be T 1-5...and the Keldon can be above it...there is no need to merge the Dominion with the Cardassians...already have that and it's called the True Way...a evil faction.

If you want to play a Dominion member on the Cardassian faction there is nothing stopping you from making a alien and purchasing one of the many Dominion ships.

Plus you saw how pissed off people were they didn't get a free T6 upgrade for the JHAS...imagine how much they will BUG out if people get free ones? (pun intended :P)
  • originalspockoriginalspock Member Posts: 809 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    LOL I loved DS9, but calling what was presented in it Deep and Rich development is just ridiculous exaggeration.

I'm not sure what your goal was by replying just to disagree. I have many examples of why I think the dominion are fleshed out. In fact I would say less is known about Romulans, Borg, Trill, Ferengi and Betazed and more and those are prime races.

It also wouldn't be ridiculous if remnants of discarded relics of the dominion war banded together. As you should know how quickly the main founder and other Vorta got rid of their problems. Defective feeling Weyoun , replacing disobedient Jemhadar with more subservient versions , and Odo through out the great link , and the remnant cardassians. It wouldn't be a chummy federation alliance , or a honor bound alliance , or a rebuilding of the ashes , it would make the most sense they are an alliance of exiles , who are despised for the actions of their predecessors as a whole , and not liked by any factions , merely tolerated. The first missions of the former Dominion could be proving to all factions that they are not back stabbers and in fact , a valuable asset to the alliances.it could also explain why we haven't seen more then a few bad Apple's of the dominion in STO and nothing else.
    edited May 2015
    Mirror Faction would be the easiest. It would consist of a tutorial, as follows:

You begin in the Mirror Universe, shaving off your goatee in preparation for a big assignment. You're briefed by command, and then sent... into the other universe! There you will infiltrate Starfleet as a sleeper agent, progressing through the ranks and gaining their trust, with them never knowing a viper is among them until it's too late!

And so you begin, pretending to be one of them until the day comes, one day, when you get the call to make your move... one day... maybe soon... :D

That call will give detailed instructions on contacting the federation and inquiring via fractal encryption if their cooling units were running.
    edited May 2015
    maina wrote: »

Cardass...See above, they have already split.

The split is more like core Cardassia, and the True Way as a Maqui variant. A threat sure, but not exactly a serious one.
    edited May 2015
    I'm not sure what your goal was by replying just to disagree. I have many examples of why I think the dominion are fleshed out. In fact I would say less is known about Romulans, Borg, Trill, Ferengi and Betazed and more and those are prime races.
    Going to have to completely disagree. You are clearly biased by your own fanboism of the faction.

They are about as fleshed out in any detail as the Romulans. No more when you look over the whole of the Star Trek universe.

And you need to re-watch the end of the last season again and look at the destruction of Cardassia if you think they'd ally again with the Dominion. That is some serious delusion. They'd more likely join the federation than join back with the Dominion (not suggesting they actually join the Fed, just a point of how ridiculous the idea of them joining the Dominion again is).

On top of the fact that I doubt the Dominion would trust them again either.

And again, the True Way is more Maqui type of a threat than any real split or danger.
  • voivodjevoivodje Member Posts: 436 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Yeah, I don't get it either & if we necessarily HAVE to get a new faction at some point, personally, I'd rather Borg Cooperative than Dominion, million times over. :D

As far as I'm concerned, Cardassians & Dominion in general are mostly bad guys, none of them all that appealing, as the potential Liberated Borg faction, which, for my own purposes, is much more stimulating, as far as story potential & roleplaying of character development goes.

Although, that being said, story, just like art, are matters of personal taste. There aren't really 'better' or 'worse', as it's more of a subjective perception. Unfortunately, it's in human nature to try to have a pee-pee contest in everything, trying to convince the other, that this is 'oh so much better, so we must want what they want', attempting to marginalize the taste of another individual by rather needlessly snide remarks.... :eek:
    I agree.
    Still, the Gamma sector species are so... meh.
    A thousand-in-a-dozen, as I said afore.
    Borg are so not "in the box".
    they defy EVERYTHING other species do.
    Which makes them, at least to me, so interesting.

If I got say a Borg Scout ship, and I have to keep that one the entire play, so be it, it is Borg.
    The green corridors, my "buddies" either wandering about doing their job, or regenerating in their alkoves, the mere feeling of the ship...
    God, I so want a Borg ship I can taste it, lol.
  • korithian1korithian1 Member Posts: 82 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    I would imagine the next faction would be Dominion including Cardassians.

It offers the most versatility in ships and species choice. It also has the most variety in where the story goes as very little is known about the Gamma quadrant so they can tell any story they want without out cries of in this episode something happened which makes what is being said her impossible!
  • baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,302 Community Moderator
    edited May 2015
    maina wrote: »
    Can't wait till people tell me what a collective has as rank titles.... (Queen was ok if you want to make them a caste based system. Little Borg Bees....).

Well, 7 of 9 held a "title/rank" of Tertiary Adjunct, so one could assume that there is at least a Secondary and Primary Adjunct, and extrapolate others from there.

Again, I don't agree with a Borg, that is, Liberated Borg FACTION. I'd prefer to continue to see them as a playable species for existing Factions.

Put Borg ships in a lockbox and Lobi store with the Borg Sphere as your lockbox prize, and the Borg Probe as your 300 Lobi ship and Borg Cube as your 900 Lobi T6 ship. Give LTS a T6 Tactical Borg Cube. Add some additional Borg costume pieces to the Lobi Store as well, maybe even in the form of prosthetic weapons.
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
    edited May 2015
    I can imagine, Cubes would be OP, maybe having a sphere as top ship would more than suffice.
    But that's me.
  • mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    bunansa wrote: »
    How am I behind suggesting that they just put them together in one large faction as far as race options are concerned?
    Galor - Lockbox, scratch that ship from roster
    Jem'Hadar Attack Ship and, that other ship without the ' in the name, Duty Officer Packs, scratch that one from roster
    Dominion Heavy whatever, lockbox, scratch that
    Dominion Carrier whatever, lobi, scratch that

jee the roster is quite small for potential ships for either faction, hence, roll into one larger one, viola done, everyone can be Vorta, because that's the race were all choosing anyway right?:cool:

its 49 years to be more accurate ;)

i stated you should of quit while you were behind, because the idea is rediculous. would you want to ally up with some enemy that already caused genocide to your people and would never trust the cardassians to be put into the position to do it again? i dont care about the lockbox debate, thats noy my concern. my concern is how bad the idea is for a storyline. the facts can not be more simple, the dominion never trusted the cardassians, they merely tolerated them to use their space to launch a war.

no its not 49 years. 2410 - 2372 = 38 years.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • darthkuribohdarthkuriboh Member Posts: 211 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Why would they release a new faction, when they don't support the ones they have that aren't named "Federation?" This is Starfleet online. We KDF players get the shaft regularily, and Romulans can't seem to catch a break, either. They've already released all of the good Jem'Hadar ships in lock boxes, as well as the Cardassian Galor. I think the only thing left from there is the Kelden class. Liberated borg, meh.
    edited May 2015
    Yes, I said this earlier: first fix KDF/Rom/Borg, before anything else...
    edited May 2015
    korithian1 wrote: »
    I would imagine the next faction would be Dominion including Cardassians.

It offers the most versatility in ships and species choice. It also has the most variety in where the story goes as very little is known about the Gamma quadrant so they can tell any story they want without out cries of in this episode something happened which makes what is being said her impossible!

I wouldn't say they would...they obviously regret releasing the Galor because of the possibility of a Cardassian faction but have no remorse for a Dominion faction.

Plus...why do so many people think they would go back with open arms to the people who nearly wiped out their planet? I just don't get that...I mean honestly....I would say it would be like Jewish people teaming up with TRIBBLE after the war...

Literally the founders wanted to wipe Cardassians from the face of the galaxy for their betrayal...wanted to exterminate them...I can't see the Cardassians going back to them...especially since the Cardassian people are being hounded by the True Way...
  • duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,867 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    voivodje wrote: »
    I agree.
    Still, the Gamma sector species are so... meh.
    A thousand-in-a-dozen, as I said afore.
    Borg are so not "in the box".
    they defy EVERYTHING other species do.
    Which makes them, at least to me, so interesting.

That's a very good point.

Think of what a cardassain faction would actually involve. First is some resolution to the Galor problem (which is probably not going to please one or the other camp). Second is the story. A downtrodden populus rebuilding from a catastrophic cultural and physical disaster strives out into the galaxy to add their spark to the power of intergalactic friendship.

I can get that from the romulans and have that integrated into the overarching plot of STO. Cardies must inevitably be a second banana. They'll have shipped after the resolution of the Iconian war and after all but perhaps one revamp (theirs). That leaves a little room to slot into the early story arcs but no where near as much as the romulans have, and there is absolutely no room for the cardassians in content shipped between Season 7 and 10.

The borg on the other hand are recurring, they have at least an indirect stake in every big thing we've done so far, and even the cooperative's perspective is different enough that it would open up new creative possibilities. New ship designs, new gameplay mechanics, new species, new characters, new locations, new types of conflict, and absolutely no question about incorporating the most iconic borg ship in the game (can't be done! Hazah, now lets move on.)

There's even a good starting point that existing STO players might care to find out more about: Vega.
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • lomax6996lomax6996 Member Posts: 512 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Personally I see no reason for new factions unless STO is going to invent something of their own. My biggest complaint with Star Trek has always been that all of the "Aliens" are merely variations on a human theme. We already have 3 such playable "variants". If you want a truly new faction how about something truly ALIEN? Not only physically but socially, psychologically, ethically and morally "alien"? The Cardassians are just hyper-paranoid humans... the Borg are just a human technophobes nightmare... the Mirror universe Humans are just "what if the TRIBBLE's won" humans... and the Dominion are just drug addicted humans with feudal overlords. :rolleyes:. On top pf which the "alien" option in the character creator for all 3 factions lets you create just about any "humanoid" character you can dream up
    *STO* It’s mission: To destroy strange new worlds, to seek out new life and new civilizations... and then kill them, to boldly annihilate what no one has annihilated before!
  • serhatgs1905serhatgs1905 Member Posts: 100 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Where is the Fix the lag first option?:o
    tactics? to pew pew or not to pew pew?!

edited May 2015
    Going to have to completely disagree. You are clearly biased by your own fanboism of the faction.

They are about as fleshed out in any detail as the Romulans. No more when you look over the whole of the Star Trek universe.

And you need to re-watch the end of the last season again and look at the destruction of Cardassia if you think they'd ally again with the Dominion. That is some serious delusion. They'd more likely join the federation than join back with the Dominion (not suggesting they actually join the Fed, just a point of how ridiculous the idea of them joining the Dominion again is).

Your maturity level shows when you name call with your arguments. No matter , you call yourself educated on the impossibility of wiser and humbled cardassians working with races formerly genetically engineered subjugates under a now imprisoned single changeling as opposed to cardassians whom made a former Bajoran terrorist a leader/teacher of the entire cardassian underground.

The fact that you are unwilling to progress the character development beyond ( once an enemy , always enemy) thinking doesn't help progress the narrative. Not that there wouldn't be racist, back stabbing , extremist that would need to get weeded out. The exact way that it happened between Kira and the cardassian resistance.

All that said , the dominion war is long over and society moves on.*
  • schloopdooschloopdoo Member Posts: 373 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Honestly, I'd rather see the dev attention that a new faction would require, directed instead at familiar and neglected races that have been in the franchise since the 1960's. Show me Tier 6 Vulcan, Andorian, Tellarite, and Orion ships. Put them on the Zen store instead of the lockboxes, so that the ships that belong in the Beta Quadrant will be a more common sight than all the Vaardwaur trash I see in Sector Space now. Let's see the aliens of the Original Series rise up and defend their space against the Iconians.
    edited May 2015
    Your maturity level shows when you name call with your arguments. No matter , you call yourself educated on the impossibility of wiser and humbled cardassians working with races formerly genetically engineered subjugates under a now imprisoned single changeling as opposed to cardassians whom made a former Bajoran terrorist a leader/teacher of the entire cardassian underground.

The fact that you are unwilling to progress the character development beyond ( once an enemy , always enemy) thinking doesn't help progress the narrative. Not that there wouldn't be racist, back stabbing , extremist that would need to get weeded out. The exact way that it happened between Kira and the cardassian resistance.

All that said , the dominion war is long over and society moves on.*

Not everyone gets over everything easy...if we didn't stop them they would of destroyed Cardassia and probably the entire race...remember the Dominion eliminated the Maquis...what makes you think they couldn't hunt down Cardassians?

Not to mention the fact that they have the True Way hounding them...why would they welcome back the Dominion with open arms?

Not everyone gets over the atrocities done to them easily...
  • garaks31garaks31 Member Posts: 2,845 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    ferengi faction that give us options to compete without guns or

prime universe
    federation
    dominion

mirror universe
    romulan-terran resistance
    klingon-cardassian alliance
    edited May 2015
    lianthelia wrote: »
    Not everyone gets over everything easy...if we didn't stop them they would of destroyed Cardassia and probably the entire race...remember the Dominion eliminated the Maquis...what makes you think they couldn't hunt down Cardassians?

Not to mention the fact that they have the True Way hounding them...why would they welcome back the Dominion with open arms?

Not everyone gets over the atrocities done to them easily...

But I am not talking about the tip of the spear dominion. Regarding the Jemhadar, they have been bred and sequenced as a subservient and post surrender of the dominion they are going to be forcedto change. I hate to compare them to dogs, but they are much like dogs who have just been born and bred for dog fighting, then the owner of the dog fighting gets caught , the dogs can be rehabilitated or put down. Some Jemhadar were 100% subservient others rebelled. Remember when Weyoun #? was a defective clone who had feelings and flew to DS9 trying to stop the war? Who knows how many Vorta were on space stations and ships who didn't come out like Weyoun #1 Bashir and the rest could have replaced drug addictions , and false preprogamming the founder burned into the Jemhadar. The entire alpha quandrant knew the dominion war had zero to do with vorta, or jemhadar, every bit of it was the a handful of shapeshifters , compared to the size of the great link it would be like blaming an entire planet because a handful of people on said planet were nefarious. Even the founder realized her mistake, and that realization was permeated throughout thegreat link and understood ccompletely , it's why Odo left , was to educate his people.

In fact you said we stopped them...we didn't Odo did. The founder would have destroyed the planet. The maquis goals were achieved , there is no reason to hunt a race whom in the end did the right thing , even if it meant a mass genocide.
    I would like to close on one thing, a real life example is WW2 Germany vs Modern Germany. It didn't take 100 years for Germans to become trusted or even respected again. Germany is still Germany, time passed, people move on. There were even good Germans and bad Americans in WW2.
    Victims of WW2 can't tell you what capitulation looks like, but they did recognize it from the German communities. I think cardassians are extremely similar to Germans , and they could reform as well.
    edited May 2015
    Your maturity level shows

Hypocrite much?
    I'm not sure what your goal was by replying just to disagree

Mudslinging accusation if I ever saw one.

Might try pulling the stick from your eye before pointing at slivers of others.
    The fact that you are unwilling to progress the character development beyond ( once an enemy , always enemy) thinking doesn't help progress the narrative

The fact you just want to throw out cannon and game history for an idea that doesn't fit. Plenty of other narratives other than yours that work without them having any reconciliation.

Besides other sources having the Cardassians revert to its old militaristic paranoid self makes your line problematic. Why bother even following any of the previous lore and history then.

"All that said , the dominion war is long over and society moves on"

Not according to established canon on Cardassians and Founders for that matter.
    edited May 2015
    Hypocrite much?

Mudslinging accusation if I ever saw one.

Might try pulling the stick from your eye before pointing at slivers of others.

The fact you just want to throw out cannon and game history for an idea that doesn't fit. Plenty of other narratives other than yours that work without them having any reconciliation.

Besides other sources having the Cardassians revert to its old militaristic paranoid self makes your line problematic. Why bother even following any of the previous lore and history then.

"All that said , the dominion war is long over and society moves on"

Not according to established canon on Cardassians and Founders for that matter.

You are still name calling, and attempting to misconstrue your own one dimensional argument that disagreeing with me is evidence enough to invalidate my postulates of hard canon. In case you didn't know STO is not hard canon. I haven't payed any attention to the Dominion, and Cardassian mission soft canon as they were written pretty badly and completely out of character. Even Gecko said the Dominion missions need to remade badly. Just listen to last weeks priority one podcast.
  • yreodredyreodred Member Posts: 3,527 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    schloopdoo wrote: »
    Honestly, I'd rather see the dev attention that a new faction would require, directed instead at familiar and neglected races that have been in the franchise since the 1960's. Show me Tier 6 Vulcan, Andorian, Tellarite, and Orion ships. Put them on the Zen store instead of the lockboxes, so that the ships that belong in the Beta Quadrant will be a more common sight than all the Vaardwaur trash I see in Sector Space now. Let's see the aliens of the Original Series rise up and defend their space against the Iconians.
    Very much this!

For ex.
    I recently thought that we have so many special BOFF which are all either non FED/KDF/ROM on our bridges, there are almost none real special major races BOFFs like Vulcans, Andorians or even Klingon BOFFs. Heck there are so many possibilities (5 series and 10 movies).
    So instead of a new faction i'd rather see more of the classic ones or at least some that belong to a certain faction like Bynars with a "computer specialist"- trait.
    Another example was "law". Man that would have been a great opportunity to get a tactical ROM BOFF! The same could have been done with so many other species too of course.

TBH i always never use the Herachy, Jem'hadar, Breen or Reman. The only one i like to assign is Nelen Exil, because i like his enthusiasm for science (in the reputation clips). But the others are just meh imo.
    Give us some unique Vulcans, Andorians, Bolians, Klingons, Romulans and so on. The possibilities are huge.

IDK if a cardassian-only faction would be sucessful like the Romulans where then. I just don't see the cardassians as being as popular like the romulans imo.
    I'd rather see a neutral trader/mercenary faction lead by Ferengi and/or Cardassians.
    "...'With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured...the first thought forbidden...the first freedom denied--chains us all irrevocably.' ... The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged. I fear that today--" - (TNG) Picard, quoting Judge Aaron Satie

A tale of two Picards
    (also applies to Star Trek in general)