test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Sector Space Revamp

Comments

• saedeithsaedeith Member Posts: 628 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Only issue I have with the revamp is that it feels like it takes forever to get anywhere. Or was this designed to be a credit sink?
  • therealgurutherealguru Member Posts: 155 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    The idea to remove walls from small sector to quadrant are good, but once again Cryptic you are really doing it badly, worse things ever.

Why ?

Each time I leave a system, I have 2 loading screen. The 1st one that bring me to the old sector system for a few seconds and then another one that send me to the new quadrant system.

Seriously, thjis is completely unprofessionnal to not even test that !!!
    My Dm videos - My Yt channel

My Wordpress Blog - Blogger

In Space, drinking or piloting, you must choose ! If you drink, put on the autopilot ;)
  • meathead013meathead013 Member Posts: 59 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    this all sounds great. sure hope i can play soon. still getting same crash on startup that ive been getting ever since the new content came out. tried every suggestion out there, including switching from arc to steam. nuthin

i wonder if a complete os reinstall would work?
  • demonicaestheticdemonicaesthetic Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    this all sounds great. sure hope i can play soon. still getting same crash on startup that ive been getting ever since the new content came out. tried every suggestion out there, including switching from arc to steam. nuthin

i wonder if a complete os reinstall would work?

No, it's not your OS or your Driv ers or your second cousins hairdressers neighbour's dog...

There are currently over a dozen threads basically saying "crash on load is a faulty shader for the logo loading screen and bad directx 11 coding in the game, start up in 'safe mode' then force the game to use directx 9"
    <center><font size="+5"><b>Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day...
    Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life...</b></size></center>
  • taylor1701dtaylor1701d Member Posts: 3,099 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    The planets around Sol system really knocked my socks off.
    I didn't expect that (loved that detail).

I fought my curiosity to sneak a peak on tribble for the last while. Yesterday was the first time I got a chance to see it.
    And I'm glad I waited, I was a pleasantly surprised by the presentation, the map screen looks great, and has more of a star chart feel.

I've yet to go far (I've only traveled from esd to the Dil mines) but I'm eager to explore more.

Like Captain Picard says in TNG episode 1
    "Let's see what's out there"
    Is how I feel :D
    [img][/img]OD5urLn.jpg
  • tacofangstacofangs Member Posts: 2,951 Cryptic Developer
    edited April 2015
    The idea to remove walls from small sector to quadrant are good, but once again Cryptic you are really doing it badly, worse things ever.

Why ?

Each time I leave a system, I have 2 loading screen. The 1st one that bring me to the old sector system for a few seconds and then another one that send me to the new quadrant system.

Seriously, thjis is completely unprofessionnal to not even test that !!!

This shouldn't be the case, and certainly isn't affecting all system maps. So what systems are you seeing this in?
    Only YOU can prevent forum fires!
    19843299196_235e44bcf6_o.jpg
  • castsbugccastsbugc Member Posts: 830 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    tacofangs wrote: »
    This shouldn't be the case, and certainly isn't affecting all system maps. So what systems are you seeing this in?

I seem to notice it happen in sol, though very specifically when I beam into ESD, but I seem to recall it happening around DS9 as well, so perhaps it has something to do with social zones specifically?
  • arrmateysarrmateys Member Posts: 466 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    apparently not all ship effects were adjusted for the new scale. ones with custom impulse trails like kar'fi's/fleet kar'fi's flame and smoke trail turned into widely spaced orange circles, so it kind of looks like it's powered with skittles.

http://i.imgur.com/3W8rn8a.jpg
    Now clowns, that's another story. They scare the cr​ap out of me.
    We fight them too. Entire armies spilling out of Volkswagens.
    We do our best to fight them off, but they keep sending them in.
  • stormstrykestormstryke Member Posts: 31 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Tour the Galaxy should last longer than 15 minutes now IMO.

Plus a lot of the systems it tells you to visit don't register when you do.
    _____

Lifetime no longer gives a forum title. That should be updated on the Lifetime page that mentions what you get. PMing the CSR doesn't work neither.
  • khamseenairkhamseenair Member Posts: 2,640 Bug Hunter
    edited April 2015
    Tour the Galaxy should last longer than 15 minutes now IMO.

Plus a lot of the systems it tells you to visit don't register when you do.

Yeah, they said in the original Dev blog that it's time had been extended. Yet when I ran it on Tribble I noticed the time was still 15 minutes. I reported it, but needless to say it went unanswered.
    Join date is wrong, I've actually been around since STO Beta.
    True alters don't have a "main". Account wide unlocks for all unique event rewards!!
  • denniskr87denniskr87 Member Posts: 58 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I like new sector map if i use main character on LvL60, but not so mouch if i use another toon without slipstream drive...
  • crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,115 Arc User
    edited April 2015

Honestly, I've had it happen when transferring into:

SFA (from 'orbit' and from ESD both 'Beam Down' and ESD Shuttle)
    ESD (Dock, Beam up from SFA)
    My Fleet's Starbase Map (T5 with all 'add-on' Projects)
    Dyson Sphere Allied Space (From the gate and also zoning in from Fleet Spire)

As others have said, it's only for a second or two but it is happening on many maps and is most noticeable on the SFA map because I'll be in one spot when I first appear - then when it pops me in to the other map - it's a location FAR away from where I first appeared and the 'beam down' animation doesn't play - I'm just 'there'.
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
  • rekurzionrekurzion Member Posts: 697 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Well you guys have successfully replace exploration clusters. Now sector space feels like what the exploration clusters should have been. can't wait for the foundry missions to republish which will add even more content.

Now I can fly from planet to planet taking my time at warp 2 or 3 and explore the galaxy. With the random anomalies that spring up which offer materials, revamped enemy encounters that are level specific, patrol missions that were once closed now open again, red alerts and adventure zones and truly unknown content with the Foundry missions just getting from one side a sector to the other feels like a journey. Much better than the exploration clusters.
  • jaydenomega812jaydenomega812 Member Posts: 149 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    SOOO.......UMMMMM.........Where has the cheap commodity trade ship gone that used to be right outside of the Sol System in Sector Space with this new revamped Sector Space Map??
  • lonestar1017lonestar1017 Member Posts: 53 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I have a Suliban cell ship and a Tuffli freighter. In the last two years efforts have been taken to devalue the purpose for having acquired these ships. The swapping of ships in sector space and placing a full ship selector on the intrepid have all but rendered this once unique feature no longer unique. The new R&D system has removed the crafting console that was only available on freighters and at Memory Alpha. The freighter discount that were unique to freighter owners, no longer exists as there are no freighters in sector space. And lastly the Twarps special to the freighters and a few ships like Excelsior have been removed. For some of us, we have invested time, energy and in some cases money to acquire things like these unique ships. My question is why is this being done without any word. And what is the plan to in some way give back to these loyal players that make the purchase of things like this.
  • therealgurutherealguru Member Posts: 155 Arc User
    edited April 2015

as far as I've been in :
    - Qo'nos system where I still saw Omega Leonis
    - New Romulus where I still saw Tau Dewa
    - Defera ground zone directly to space sector I still saw Orellius

- I just experienced from Tau Dewa using Sphere to delta quadrant. got a screen loading dlt-001 something (was too short to get the entire name) before getting the delta quadrant loading screen

I'll keep trying other system
    My Dm videos - My Yt channel

My Wordpress Blog - Blogger

In Space, drinking or piloting, you must choose ! If you drink, put on the autopilot ;)
  • jaydenomega812jaydenomega812 Member Posts: 149 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I have a Suliban cell ship and a Tuffli freighter. In the last two years efforts have been taken to devalue the purpose for having acquired these ships. The swapping of ships in sector space and placing a full ship selector on the intrepid have all but rendered this once unique feature no longer unique. The new R&D system has removed the crafting console that was only available on freighters and at Memory Alpha. The freighter discount that were unique to freighter owners, no longer exists as there are no freighters in sector space. And lastly the Twarps special to the freighters and a few ships like Excelsior have been removed. For some of us, we have invested time, energy and in some cases money to acquire things like these unique ships. My question is why is this being done without any word. And what is the plan to in some way give back to these loyal players that make the purchase of things like this.

people that own these ships tend to invite others to them for free. besides didn't they come from lockboxes that are no longer current making future owners of these tufflis and sulibans pay more than is necessary anyway. I think if anything they need to devise a lockbox reward trading strategy like there is in Neverwinter cause there are some old traits like inspirational leader I would like to have but just don't want to pay out the rear for them cause there from old boxes.
  • tigerariestigeraries Member Posts: 3,492 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    needs more work... the auto pilot to each location does not work... it flys to the systems sun... not to the planet you need to go to... so the pop up to trigger does not happen at all... or if it does it pops up and goes poof shortly after cause your ship keeps flying past the planet.

increase the range to 5 light years... bit extreme but i had it fly and I was underneath the system and no pop up box... hand to manually spiral may way up. total pain the in butt.
  • meathead013meathead013 Member Posts: 59 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    No, it's not your OS or your Driv ers or your second cousins hairdressers neighbour's dog...

There are currently over a dozen threads basically saying "crash on load is a faulty shader for the logo loading screen and bad directx 11 coding in the game, start up in 'safe mode' then force the game to use directx 9"

right

did that and got the same exact crash at the same exact time. can get to the loader to put it in safe mode but then it crashes before getting to the game so cant make the game use directx9

needed to do an os image restore anyway to clean out the typical accumulated gunk. thats done and im 72% thru the initial patching

wish me luck
  • treaentreaen Member Posts: 43 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Most sources DO NOT show it there, in fact, the most trusted source for Star Trek planet locations, The Star Trek Star Charts, shows it where it is the revamp, near the northern border of Romulan space, FAR away from the Klingon empire.

I think it's only a problem because now it doesn't make any sense story wise. The whole story surrounding those missions involves the Gorn, who should not be able to traverse all of Federation space (from their territory "south" of the Federation and even the Klingon Empire) to be a threat on an outlying world. And even if they could, why would they? There's nothing of strategic importance up there, especially now that Romulus is gone. Where Nimbus was before made it an important location in a delicate area of the galaxy. Now it's about as remote as remote can get. Plus, when you read the system info in the pop up screen, it talks about how the Federation, Romulans, and Klingons have all poured resources into the system trying to influence it for a very long time. Why would the Klingons bother with a planet on the other side of Federation space? Also, if it's been overrun by the Orions, wouldn't it make more sense that it's closer to Orion than it is to Romulus? The Orions are a power in the galaxy, for sure, but not a major one. They certainly don't have the resources or the sphere of influence to project their power all the way to the extreme edge of Federation and Romulan space.

I am a bit of a purist when it comes to following the Star Charts and the actual location of star systems in the real world, which the Star Charts are based on. So I don't have a problem with moving the system to its more accurate location. But I do think that maybe that string of missions would be better off gated to a system near where the Romulan Republic is, instead of on the outskirts of space. Maybe Japori would be a better choice.

And, while we're at it, dear Dev friends, maybe add Alpha Centauri. It's the closest system to Sol there is and is very much a part of Canon. It should be in the game. And you can't tell me that Paramount/CBS owns the rights to the name of the actual star system that exists in our universe and thereby won't release it to the game, especially since there's an old sector block named after it. Before anyone says anything about Memory Alpha serving as Alpha Centauri, I would point out that there's never been any official word about that being the case. And if it is the case, it's still way too far away. I mean, seriously, Wolf 359 is an actual system that is 7.8 light years away from Sol (with a plus or minus of 390 light years!) and there are seven stars in four star systems that are actually closer, none of them more important than the trinary cluster that make up Alpha Centauri.
  • arrmateysarrmateys Member Posts: 466 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    trying to travel from beta quadrant to delta quadrant using the solanae sphere gateway puts you on the old map, which then transfers you to the new one, somewhere in devore sector, far below the delta quadrant's sphere.

there is an astrometrics ring visible around kobali prime, even with astrometrics turned off. the ring appears to show the moon's orbit around the planet, but it passes through the planet. it doesn't go away with astrometrics off.
    Now clowns, that's another story. They scare the cr​ap out of me.
    We fight them too. Entire armies spilling out of Volkswagens.
    We do our best to fight them off, but they keep sending them in.
    edited April 2015
    You forget that space is not flat, the areas ABOVE and BELOW the Romulan Star Empire, as well as the Federation, are not owned by anyone.

The Gorn, as well as the Klingons, the Orions, and anyone else, can easily reach Nnimbus by simply going above or below the Romulans/Federation.

As for why they would be there, because its a VERY easy target because basically no one protects it.

Sure. Space isn't flat. But it is clustered with a relative area of star population and the void surrounding it. You can see that in the game with the different star systems being placed at different points on the z axis, and the fact that you can fly your ship in almost a complete three dimensions. So, say the Gorn do travel above or below Federation space to get to Nimbus. They're not going to go too far outside of the range of planetary bodies because they won't have access to them in emergency situations. What if they encounter an anomaly that does significant damage to their ships and they have to find a new supply of dilithium, for example? Space borders are marked with sensor nets. Presumably, they do more than just ping when someone crosses them. They'll have a range. Why not travel outside that range? Okay fine. But again, the farther out you travel, the bigger a risk you're taking. And you have no idea what you're gonna find when you get to the other side. Also, the idea that they would take a planet on the opposite side of their enemy's territory Just Because They Can makes no sense whatsoever from a tactical or strategic point of view. They cannot get supplies to it. They cannot get support to it. Isolation is not your friend in war. You push out from what you have in increments specifically for the reason that you don't want to lose the gains you make or, especially, the things you started with. Why take something you know you're going to lose? It's a waste of the considerable resources it would take to even get there in the first place. And then you're out what you put into it and you don't have the thing to show for the effort.

Also, I just want to take a minute with the three dimensionality of space in the Star Trek Universe. There are only a handful of times in any of the episodes or movies where a third coordinate is mentioned when setting a course. Think about it. It's always "something something mark something something." If it were a truly three dimensional landscape, there would be another "mark something something" on there. But there's not. Because the original concept of the show was pulled from the Navy, rather than the Air Force. (Although, if you were basing a real-life star ship on the model of a submarine, you would be equally correct, insofar as the relationship between the vessel and the space around it is concerned.) The thing is, though, we can literally go see that the basis was the two dimensions of a boat traveling on the surface of the water. And that's fine. It's the way the story has worked for nearly half a century. But it does indicate that flying above or below something would never be the way it would work in the Star Trek Universe. There's a beautiful battle sequence in an episode of Battlestar Galactica that illustrates a truly 3D space environment. It's the episode where the Fleet takes on the Resurrection Ship. It begins with the Cylon fleet on a plane perpendicular to the Galactica fleet, which is flying straight ahead toward the tops of the Cylon ships. That is space in three dimensions. But it is not Star Trek, nor is it STO. Again, that's fine. But it does illustrate the rules. And the rules say the Gorn would not go around. They would go through. And again, I say, why?
  • rickpaaarickpaaa Member Posts: 637 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Some of the low level content is quite tedious now. Traveling to the Boreth system deep into Eta Eridani at warp 5 for instance. At higher levels it's merely confusing.

Why don't we have a transwarp to the Alpha quadrant?
    giphy.gif
    Member since December 2009

edited April 2015
    You are thinking too much about a series that was never made to follow hardcore logic.

You are probably right. :)
  • triangulartorpstriangulartorps Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I really, really like how you guys made all the planets in the Solar system (and the others), it makes the whole experience a bit more personal... It's really lovely how you can see Earth in detail, thank you for that :)
  • mitria1981mitria1981 Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I really, really like how you guys made all the planets in the Solar system (and the others), it makes the whole experience a bit more personal... It's really lovely how you can see Earth in detail, thank you for that :)

I agree, I was so happy seeing that they have detailed all planets in our solar system so good I could even see the region where I live, even a tear came to my eye :) I only miss THE MOON!!!
  • raj011raj011 Member Posts: 987 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    What about introducing the Coaxial warp drive?
  • kakarot069kakarot069 Member Posts: 21 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    alright, I'm a little confused with this space sector revamp and the doing away with enemy signal contacts...

i went to a deep space encounter, and i couldn't even enter in the thing... I'm honestly confused, and a little irritated. with those enemy signal contacts, players could at least grind a bit to get some needed energy credits, or some gear.
    are the enemy signal contacts completely gone now or something?

i kinda liked the grinding... plus, it helped with gaining some gear to sell for energy credits... is this all taken out now?
  • robeasomrobeasom Member Posts: 1,911 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    The Sector Space revamp was the only good thing realeased with a rather thin Season 10. But it is bugged to hell. The borg red alerts either are already over when you enter. The unimatrix doesnt show or more than one shows. And now the Deferi Patrols and Breen Patrols no longer appear so doing the Deferi dailies is now pointless and unable to be completed.
    Sort your **** out Cryptic as this is one of the reasons I no longer pay money to you and why others do the same.
    NO TO ARC
    Vice Admiral Volmack ISS Thundermole
    Brigadier General Jokag IKS Gorkan
    Centurion Kares RRW Tomalak
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • silverskyhigh2silverskyhigh2 Member Posts: 46 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    the new look is kool looking but there is one thing that is bugging me and that is there was a mission that you could do before hand and that was to save the transport ship from True Way ships down in the Donatu Sector. Could someone tell me if that got moved else where or was it nuffed?