Install Arc
Options

Prelude to the Iconian War

Comments

• Options
    alchevsk1992alchevsk1992 Member Posts: 280 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    This is it, the beginning of the end...

If we're going to die, then let us die fighting for our right to live! Bring it!

And we'll do it while this song plays in the background. :cool:

I totally agree with that. Although... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X1J5g-siCVw or https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZEnQogAd8U heck or even THIS https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XYKUeZQbMF0
    tumblr_no772wVUH31u41vjso1_r1_1280.png

"Our history, our past, our present and our future is now forever changed. All we can do is preserve what is left and continue onwards. This is not a surrender nor defeat, we will continue the fight. This is our last hope, our last chance... for victory."

Vlasek D. Lasor - 4.19.3580

Star Trek Online: Foundry Storyline Series
  • Options
    lordarathronlordarathron Member Posts: 249 Arc User
    edited April 2015
  • Options
    chandlerasharichandlerashari Member Posts: 348 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    cirran1 wrote: »
    It does say there will be some sacrifices that will be needed to be made. I think there is only one group who can be called on for this sacrifice. We should sacrifice all the folks above 10k DPS. That should be a big enough epeen sacrifice to fulfill any sacrifice called for. The epeen heroes can get the "hard" content they supposedly want in a fruitless no win 10 second smack down and then Cryptic can make the game fun again. Win/win for everyone. We are talking about a permanent sacrifice right?

Cirran

Butt hurt jelly
  • Options
    zedbrightlander1zedbrightlander1 Member Posts: 14,764 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    We can each listen to whatever we want. Been that way since the 80s.

:: puts on old style head phones, listens to ANY Weird Al song ::

But probably THIS ONE because I love the vid Sterga made to go with it.

I love Trek, but it doesn't have giant teddy bears threatening all kinds of bodily harm. :D
    f5cc65bc8f3b91f963e328314df7c48d.jpg
    Sig? What sig? I don't see any sig.
  • Options
    themetalstickmanthemetalstickman Member Posts: 1,010 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Og12TbC.jpg

Your father was captain of a starship for twelve minutes. He saved 800 lives, including your mother's, and yours.

I dare you to do better.
  • Options
    johncampbell07johncampbell07 Member Posts: 143 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    *****WARNING*****

Spoiler ahead:

This just in. The "sacrifices" that must be made is none other than your new Delta Recruit Captain, crew, and ship. The Captain, crew, and ship you put so much into so quickly will either stand or fall in the upcoming battle and with that will be either triumph or defeat. The harsh reality is if you didn't go all out for your new Delta Recruit and because of it find your new Captain is defeated, he/she is gone,.............. forever.
    As such there will be only one chance to save your new Captain. It's not a game anymore.

Yes, it means you're going to have to bring out the big guns. That number one Captain, the one you've slaved over all this time from before Delta Recruit. The old standby that can always save the day is going to have to come out of retirement and get a whole lot of new polish for the up coming life or death struggle and this time, if you fail, not only is your Delta Recruit lost forever in the time continuum, your number one Captain is on the line as well. The blood of the ancients is in the water, but it's not only their blood.

The "qa'meH quv", (replacers of honor with dishonor) may very well be those masquerading as Klingons. It's been said that, "noH QapmeH wo' Qaw'lu'chugh yay chavbe'lu', 'ej wo' choqmeH may' DoHlu'chugh lujbe'lu'" (Destroying an empire to win a war is no victory, and ending a battle to save an empire is no defeat), however, this is one battle you cannot afford to loose. It's time to show the Federation dogs the heart and soul of a true warrior. It is a good day to die.

For the Federation the question is, will they even bother to show up for the fight? Honorless dogs that they are.

For the Klingons, it means Sto'Vo'Kor, or Gre'thor. Will the songs be sung for the great courage and honor of those who go forth with all their might? Will the Batlh Suvwl' (Honor Warrior) rise above all? Will the decks of the barge of the dead be awash with the blood of Klingon cowardice, or will Sto'Vo'Kor receive a true warrior? Time and honor will tell.

FOR THE EMPIRE! QAPLA' !
  • Options
    dareaudareau Member Posts: 2,390 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    When we last saw an Iconian, it was after the attack on Qo'noS in "Surface Tension." That being warned us not to attract their attention again.

We didn't listen.

~LaughingTrendy
    foolishowl wrote: »
    When did we have a choice?

Setting aside the completely linear nature of the storyline, the next storyline after that warning from the Iconians was about the Vaadwaur attack on the Kobali, and it turned out the Vaadwaur were catspaws of the Iconians. We never went looking for a fight with the Iconians. The Iconians attacked us.

I know there are reasons why this is set up as a linear narrative, but it bugs me as a player when we're not given the chance to avoid something, and then we're told we're fools for not having avoided it.

Ahem.

"I" (at least my avatar-Admiral) listened quite nicely. Stop poking around looking for ways to come visit the last of the Iconians. Got that. Didn't hear "stop looking for ways to stop us"...

Sela, on the other hand, got that bright idea that we need to go poke around a third Dyson Sphere...

Therefore, when the Iconians come a-knockin', I ask all assembled Admirals to point the finger at Sela, blame her, then run like madmen. At least until Sela's dead and the Iconian's bring us her head as a trophy (sorry buds, no mental full-on disintegrations this time..), at which point we pull out our own one-hit-kill starship(s) and nuke the Iconian fleet...
    Detecting big-time "anti-old-school" bias here. NX? Lobi. TOS/TMP Connie? Super-promotion-box. (aka the two hardest ways to get ships) Excelsior & all 3 TNG "big hero" ships? C-Store. Please Equalize...

To rob a line: [quote: Mariemaia Kushrenada] Forum Posting is much like an endless waltz. The three beats of war, peace and revolution continue on forever. However, opinions will change upon the reading of my post.[/quote]
  • Options
    xenificationxenification Member Posts: 615 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    So when is season 10 releasing?

I haven't had that much time to check things out so would be nice to know.

as for what foolishowl said;

You want choice in a linear narrative which you pointed out is linear in the first place... yet you still moan about lack of choice... *facepalm*

When I want to play a game for choices and fun I play Mass effect, Dues ex, Dragon Age etc

When I want start trek and fun (fun being used lightly currently) I play STO.

Dont allow yourself to be bugged by something you will never be able to changed.
  • Options
    mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    So New Romulus is going to get destroyed? This should be interesting. :cool:

And those of you complaining that "war isn't Star Trek" really need to check out DS9.

as far as i am aware in the dominion war, no planets were destroyed and if you reference 8472, thats an isolated case and only against the borg it seems.
    dareau wrote: »
    Ahem.

"I" (at least my avatar-Admiral) listened quite nicely. Stop poking around looking for ways to come visit the last of the Iconians. Got that. Didn't hear "stop looking for ways to stop us"...

Sela, on the other hand, got that bright idea that we need to go poke around a third Dyson Sphere...

Therefore, when the Iconians come a-knockin', I ask all assembled Admirals to point the finger at Sela, blame her, then run like madmen. At least until Sela's dead and the Iconian's bring us her head as a trophy (sorry buds, no mental full-on disintegrations this time..), at which point we pull out our own one-hit-kill starship(s) and nuke the Iconian fleet...

and you convieniently ommited that you could of left Sela and Gaius to his fate and left the Iconians alone, yet you chose to "not listen" and go with her to that sphere. unless you forgot your arms and legs were beneath you :P.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • Options
    doctorme1doctorme1 Member Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    risian4 wrote: »
    Why did I suddenly get this idea:

We're going to lose our entire ship, including all gear, and any Boffs and Doffs stationed on it.

And then possibly a time travel story which you have to play with another ship to get your destroyed ship and everything/everyone on it back. :)

Would be funny if players lose literally everything, temporarily, they've build over the past five years :P

I had a similar thought when all this was announced, except instead of simply back in time, we follow Ambassador Spock into the reboot movieverse.
  • Options
    xenificationxenification Member Posts: 615 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    as far as i am aware in the dominion war, no planets were destroyed and if you reference 8472, thats an isolated case and only against the borg it seems.

While your not wrong, neither is the person you replied too - though I am still trying to work out why said "in the dominion war no planets were destroyed" considering thats kind of irrelevant seeing as war is war whether planets are destroyed or not ... so the argument is pretty redundant.

then again I could of miss-read something or missed something entirely so.
  • Options
    mettrekmettrek Member Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    foolishowl wrote: »
    When did we have a choice?

Setting aside the completely linear nature of the storyline, the next storyline after that warning from the Iconians was about the Vaadwaur attack on the Kobali, and it turned out the Vaadwaur were catspaws of the Iconians. We never went looking for a fight with the Iconians. The Iconians attacked us.

I know there are reasons why this is set up as a linear narrative, but it bugs me as a player when we're not given the chance to avoid something, and then we're told we're fools for not having avoided it.

How about the fact that the major Alpha Quadrant races have formed an alliance which uses Iconian spheres and gateways as major bases of operation? Perhaps that has something to do with it.
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    kintisho wrote: »
    main issue: since these opponents are to be so "hard" why cant we have 2 traits pages? ground and space... I mean since missions quick toggle and require both areas...

Ok... you can have two traits pages. One will have 5 space traits and the other will have 5 ground traits...

;)
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    So New Romulus is going to get destroyed? This should be interesting. :cool:

And those of you complaining that "war isn't Star Trek" really need to check out DS9.

Agreed. War has always been an integral, if less featured, part of Star Trek. Even during TNG which was largely a time of peace and exploration there were a lot of things going on which indicated war was brewing or imminent.

If there was no warfare then the game would largely be a flight simulator along with the doff experience. While I agree that there should be more opportunities for exploration and diplomatic experiences I can only stand so much of clicking through dialog trees that don't really do anything to make my experience unique or meaningful.

I'm curious as to what sort of MMO experience people want from STO when they say that Star Trek isn't about war. I can only imagine that it would be flying from point A to point B, clicking through dialog and then watching cut scenes.

If anything I'd like to keep it largely the way it is but have some vastly different and meaningful missions for each of the eng/sci/tac classes as opposed to simply throwing in meaningless optional objectives that accomplish the same thing but just by clicking on different glowies.

Unfortunately I feel that is is far, far too late for that to become a reality in terms of the main storyline. But patrols could be handled better to tailor them to different classes.
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    You may not have written it, but I saw *drops mic* at the end of that.

*applauds*
  • Options
    lordvalecortezlordvalecortez Member Posts: 479 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    mettrek wrote: »
    Ok... you can have two traits pages. One will have 5 space traits and the other will have 5 ground traits...

;)

Don't even joke about that. Cryptic might see it and think this is a great idea to increase... something, somewhere, somehow. Then the forums will burn. Not that they don't always do that, but right now we're at a low simmer. I don't want to go up to bonfire level again.
    Cheers from Antonio Valerio Cortez III, Half-Celestial Archduke of the Free Marches Confederacy.
  • Options
    dmtdmt Member Posts: 194 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Can I ask: where does it say New Romulus is going to be destroyed?
  • Options
    dantebl#8103 dantebl Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I see dead Iconians :):D:D:D
    Fortis fortuna adiuvat
  • Options
    vendincevendince Member Posts: 296 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    IShould be interesting. Though I do hope if Sela pops up, there is an option to gag her or something. The last mission with her in it was just tiresome. She was starting to remind me of some sort of DM's pet NPC. And that's not a compliment. She was annoying and smug to the point where on replays (only to get the set pieces), I had sound off and fast-clicked through anything she said.

II guess the whole idiot ball involved in her escape made me a bit skeptical to begin with. That was just a bad sign. It's not the Sela show. I play exclusively Romulan because they have fewer raiilroading idiot ball moments than other factions.

Anyway. Looking forward to seeing what happens with the Iconians, though I really hope New Romulus doesn't get destroyed. Romulans have lost enough as it is.
  • Options
    jexsamxjexsamx Member Posts: 2,802 Arc User
    edited April 2015
  • Options
    daviesdaviesdaviesdavies Member Posts: 277 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    The iconian Winter is Coming... we must following our oath as delta recruits ... "Grind!"
    Mzd8i1c.gif
  • Options
    robeasomrobeasom Member Posts: 1,911 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    bioixi wrote: »
    Considering they are supposed to be the ultimate bad guys I'm expecting 10 episodes, 2 battlegrounds, 1 more ground queue, an Iconian alert and a war event.

Well so far you get sector space with no walls two fee and 3 queued events and a new rep system
    NO TO ARC
    Vice Admiral Volmack ISS Thundermole
    Brigadier General Jokag IKS Gorkan
    Centurion Kares RRW Tomalak
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    tekehdtekehd Member Posts: 2,032 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    swamarian wrote: »
    It's been my experience that characters hit 50 around the time of the Cardassian arc. (My Delta Recruit's 53, and just finished Badlands.) Hitting level 60 before getting to the Delta Quadrant's easy if you're not sitting at 50, having finished all of the prior content (like most of the characters when DR was released).
    That said, you've still got those annoying patrol missions to slog through. The main benefit of hitting DQ at level 60 is that you only have to do them once.

Yep, my delta just entered the delta story arc and is lvl 57.
  • Options
    ailmereailmere Member Posts: 238 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I wonder how the Borg will deal with the Iconians, or how the mirror universe is handling it.
  • Options
    hawku001xhawku001x Member Posts: 10,758 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I, for one, welcome our new Iconian overlords.
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,367 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Ah yes, "Iconians". The ancient threat allegedly lurking in subspace. We have dismissed that claim.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    sfreedom1sfreedom1 Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    OK, Lvl 60 is Fleet admiral....How about we command a fleet then, we all have multiple ships to use and lots of BOff's to command them......
  • Options
    tekehdtekehd Member Posts: 2,032 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Of interest to me, Servator species the Iconians rely on, Heralds... wizard like creatures which come to carry out the iconian will..... The Icoinians are starting to remind me of the Ori.
  • Options
    heat76forumheat76forum Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    ATM, all i want is that u fix the lag issues. Nothing else, if the game would not be a Star Trek game, it would be dead since months at the current state of playability.
  • Options
    hfmuddhfmudd Member Posts: 881 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    As an aside, I scoff at the notion of "We didn't listen", "we provoked this", etc etc. The Iconians' intentions and designs were made very clear in their notes on the various homeworlds. Our original offense was simply having the temerity to exist, in their galaxy. We may have nudged them to step up the timetable a little by pulling back the curtain on their preparations and manipulations, but a war of (attempted) conquest, extermination and vengeance has been their plan for literally thousands of years. Hundreds of thousands.

Heck, they were already at war with us. It's just entering a new, more blatant phase.

First-season Roddenberryist hedging aside, Cryptic has come down pretty hard on the side of "no, they were and are absolute tyrannical TRIBBLE, they absolutely deserved what they got, and still do".