test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

is the iconion war the last chapter for sto

r24681012r24681012 Member Posts: 169 Arc User
i don,t know what anyone else thinks and would be glad of your comments but i feel that season 10 will be the last season for sto it seems all story lines from the past 4/5years have lead up to this moment and that is is the final chapter the final battle endgame i can,t see where else sto can go after this dont get me wrong i am looking forward to season 10 and the war of wars but whats next

what do you guys think would like to get thoughs on this
Post edited by r24681012 on

Comments

• Options
    hyplhypl Member Posts: 3,719 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    There's definitely more content planned beyond Season 10, well into 2016. As for the story progressing beyond the Iconian arc? Dunno. We'll have to wait and see.
  • Options
    szerontzurszerontzur Member Posts: 2,723 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Temporal War; made up enemy A; made up enemy B; etc.
  • Options
    sheldonlcoopersheldonlcooper Member Posts: 4,042 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Season 10 marks the beginning of the Iconian war.

I think they will play a wait and see approach. I have heard season 11 won't come until early next year to coincide with the 50th anniversary. If the game does well from now until then they might continue with a new storyline or drag out the Iconians more. If it's not making enough cash they will probably conclude with season 11.

There are a lot of systems and seasonal events in place so that even with no new stories the game can keep going for some time after that also in maintenance.
    Captain Jean-Luc Picard: "We think we've come so far. Torture of heretics, burning of witches, it's all ancient history. Then - before you can blink an eye - suddenly it threatens to start all over again."

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

• Options
    ccarmichael07ccarmichael07 Member Posts: 755 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    To answer the OP -

Yes. This is the final chapter of STO.

It pretty much has to be.

We're about to go to war with the single most dangerous CORPOREAL enemy we have ever seen. A race whose technology is so advanced it's almost like having God powers. This will be a battle for outright survival.

In the end...if we win the war, there would literally be no enemy we could face off against ever again that would be this much of a challenge, which, from a gaming standpoint is a bad thing.

If we lose...we're all dead.

I honestly can't see any viable story option, which would make sense, or would provide a challenege, beyond the end of the Iconian war.

Kinda like SG-1 and the Ori. Once you've done battle with the Ascended and their legions, everything else is pretty much meaningless.

"You shoot him, I shoot you, I leave both your bodies here and go out for a late night snack.
    I'm thinking maybe pancakes." ~ John Casey
  • Options
    farmallmfarmallm Member Posts: 4,630 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I think they will drag it out some more. As this is just the start of the main war story.
    Enterprise%20C_zpsrdrf3v8d.jpg

USS Casinghead NCC 92047 launched 2350
    Fleet Admiral Stowe - Dominion War Vet.
  • Options
    ladytiamat666ladytiamat666 Member Posts: 276 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    From Al Rivera (source : http://massivelyop.net/2015/04/09/interview-star-trek-onlines-al-rivera-on-the-looming-iconians/) :
    Players have been leading up to this encounter for some time; is there some level of finality to this particular storyline?

As an MMO, and as science fiction, nothing is truly “final.” But this is the final conflict of the Iconian war. Although there will be far reaching repercussions, players can expect closure to this five-year mission.
    signature%201.jpg_zpsklpuyd7v.png
  • Options
    wotertoolwotertool Member Posts: 96 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I don't know how Season 10 will look like, but if it is not included, then they can make one to mark the superiority of the Romulan Republic over the Romulan Empire, or make it vanish completely and unify all Romulans under the Republic.

They can also expand the Delta Quadrant over time. Maybe making a new Faction or two in the next 5 to 10 years (Liberated Borg, Cardassians, etc.).
    There is still alot of unexplored space in the Beta Quadrant.
    Cryptic can also create the Gamma Quadrant when they are bored.

Long Story Short:

It's Star Trek, there is always enough room to expand and filling up missing parts with details.
  • Options
    valianttomevalianttome Member Posts: 157 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    To answer the OP -

We're about to go to war with the single most dangerous CORPOREAL enemy we have ever seen. A race whose technology is so advanced it's almost like having God powers. This will be a battle for outright survival.

In the end...if we win the war, there would literally be no enemy we could face off against ever again that would be this much of a challenge, which, from a gaming standpoint is a bad thing.

I honestly can't see any viable story option, which would make sense, or would provide a challenege, beyond the end of the Iconian war.

Kinda like SG-1 and the Ori. Once you've done battle with the Ascended and their legions, everything else is pretty much meaningless.

It doesnt have to be the end. And the Ori is a bad example. The Iconians are more like the Goa'uld. Theyve been the big bad over the course of the majority of the game. With the Klingons, Romulans, True Way and so forth being the baddie one offs and Replicators. The Ori would be whatever is coming after the Iconians.
  • Options
    ssbn655ssbn655 Member Posts: 1,894 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    TO the OP No it isn't. There are whole sections of just the main Galaxy unexplored and if as has been hinted the Iconians have been in the Andromeda Galaxy well there are unknow things there as well. Just because the Iconians appear to be "god like" means nothing. There's the entire where the hell did Nomad and V'ger come from, the Space Whales from STTVH that shut entore planets down just be passing by them in ONE ship thats God like in my book. There are many storylines that can be followed up on. And to be honest the Q are a bigger threat then the Iconians.
  • Options
    zarato4218zarato4218 Member Posts: 403 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    To answer the OP -

Why do the next bad guys have to be "bigger" and "badder?" Just because we will inevitably end the Iconian threat it will likley not be a striaght fight. Either there will be a macguffin or something else to "save the galaxy". This means Starfleet/KDF/Rom won't be so uber-powered that another "lesser" but hopefully more interesting enemy can't be a new threat. Not to mention you have to have a pretty small imagination not to think there aren't endless storylines to cover.
    From a "Gamma/Dominion/Cardassian" expansion to the Andromeda galaxy with the kelvins or back home with the xind, not to mention what some of the other posters on this thread have come up with. Further in game 2410 is the year when the nexus returns and in real life 2016 is the 50th anniversary of Star Trek. In essence this is not the end of STO but a rebirth (no april fools pun intended:D).
    Finally we can be done with the dead horse that is the Iconians (Don't get me wrong, I am really looking forward to the war and its stories but all arcs must end eventually or they will become tired and stale) and move on to many new frontiers. Perhaps the next five years will lead to another epic conclusion or perhaps the stories will be smaller. But either way STO is going nowhere soon and I expect many new adventures, hopefully with more original voice actors too. Well thats my 2 EC at least, feel free to disagree.:cool:
    As Zephram Cochrane once said, "That'll do, pig. That'll do." - April 1st 2015. o:)
  • Options
    dmtdmt Member Posts: 194 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    In the mission where you first meet the prophets you are told that the iconians were saved by 'the Other' the last time the galaxy rose up. Fighting this mysterious 'Other' will be the end of the game, years from now
  • Options
    spock1190spock1190 Member Posts: 53 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    This is Star Trek. We have an entire Galaxy to explore, it's not like defeating an Omni-potent enemy will end that or make it any less awesome. Besides, we're not going to defeat the Iconians without a bit of... help...
  • Options
    westx211westx211 Member Posts: 42,215 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    The gamma quadrant is next!
    Men are not punished for their sins, but by them.
  • Options
    moskatamoskata Member Posts: 56 Arc User
    edited April 2015

In that article they also mention that we the players will make great sacrfices, I wonder what he meant? :confused:
  • Options
    happymarvinhappymarvin Member Posts: 89 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    There's still ALOT of Milky Way to explore.

What I hope to see is the Iconian War going on for a couple of seasons or more, then a season or two revolving around the rebuilding. From there, who knows.

There's still the True Way, 8472, and the Borg to deal with. Who knows what the Dominion has been up to. I would like to see more of the Tholians.
  • Options
    bobtheskull99bobtheskull99 Member Posts: 706 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    doubtful...at the very least even if the end of the arc is the complete and utter defeat of the iconians there's always the old "we beat the main bad guy but it turns out there was an even worse bad guy at war with the first bad guy" or "we beat the bad guy but now there's a massive power vaccum that a new bad guy(s) have to rush in to fill" tropes
  • Options
    jaguarskxjaguarskx Member Posts: 5,945 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Most of the Alpha and Beta Quadrants are still unexplored. Alpha is less explored than Beta.
  • Options
    xenificationxenification Member Posts: 615 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    "it pretty much has to be the end of STO"
    "theres nothing more they can do"
    "they clearly will end it because this is the iconians"

Seriously guys?

Are you incapable of using your brain i.e imagination to come up with more stories to tell?

Its star trek for christ sake.

We haven't fully explored the Gamma quadrant (at all in the game) there are tons of areas missing from the delta quadrant in the galaxy

then theres andromeda .. which we haven't explored at all.

Really where are peoples minds these days? have they seriously become so pessimistic that they cant even imagine a basic story with all this missing content..

sheesh and you call yourselves star trek fans? pfft.
  • Options
    vegeta50024vegeta50024 Member Posts: 2,335 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    They were already dealt with in their respective storylines.

The True Way as far as we know has been stopped, but if there's anything to learn, groups always have another leader.

The Undine have been dealt with. They now know that they have been influenced by an outside force, so their storyline has been resolved with the federation, but not necessarily with the Borg.

The Borg's storyline still remains unresolved, as they are still around, and the borg will still be around as long as they can make another queen.

TSC_Signature_Gen_4_-_Vegeta_Small.png
  • Options
    starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    There is still one final enemy to defeat, the Q Continuum. The people of the universe should be able to be free from the whims of beings far more powerful than themselves. The atrocities that Q has done to the Federation is appalling. Changing countless Captains into creatures for fun and forcing us to fight against snowmen and snow Borg deserves imprisonment for all eternity. His father is even worse since he is personally responsible for Wolf 359.
  • Options
    quintarisquintaris Member Posts: 816 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    A race whose technology is so advanced it's almost like having God powers.

Excuse me...

I'd just like to ask a question...

What does God need with a starship?
    w8xekp.jpg
  • Options
    reynoldsxdreynoldsxd Member Posts: 977 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    starkaos wrote: »
    There is still one final enemy to defeat, the Q Continuum. The people of the universe should be able to be free from the whims of beings far more powerful than themselves. The atrocities that Q has done to the Federation is appalling. Changing countless Captains into creatures for fun and forcing us to fight against snowmen and snow Borg deserves imprisonment for all eternity. His father is even worse since he is personally responsible for Wolf 359.

You blanket judge the Q based on what a single Q did.

The Q are the allmighty jannitors of the universe. They make sure the status quo is maintained, they keep out other alpmighty trolls. They are the keepers of boring order.
    One plus one must be two. If that ever cha.ges, the universe is fcked.
  • Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,019 Community Moderator
    edited April 2015
    Not really, the Borg were already on their way to the Alpha and Beta quads before Q ever moved Picard to meet them.

Hell, the Borg were ALREADY in the Alpha and Beta quads, assimilating outposts in the Romulan neutral zone in 2364, a year before Q moved Picard to meet the Borg.

And if you watched Enterprise, you'd know they were on their way to the Alpha Quadrant because they recieved a message from a group of Borg that were from the sphere destroyed by the Enterprise-E when they tried to disrupt the timeline, thus setting up a predestination paradox of First Contact with the Borg in 2365.
    "it pretty much has to be the end of STO"
    "theres nothing more they can do"
    "they clearly will end it because this is the iconians"

Seriously guys?

Are you incapable of using your brain i.e imagination to come up with more stories to tell?

Its star trek for christ sake.

We haven't fully explored the Gamma quadrant (at all in the game) there are tons of areas missing from the delta quadrant in the galaxy

then theres andromeda .. which we haven't explored at all.

Really where are peoples minds these days? have they seriously become so pessimistic that they cant even imagine a basic story with all this missing content..

sheesh and you call yourselves star trek fans? pfft.

Yea... I see lots of DOOM from some of these people. That's pretty much the same reaction to the opportunity for new stories that was opened up via the reboot movies.

I agree, we got LOTS that can be expanded on. As you said, there's the Gamma Quadrant, the rest of the Delta Quadrant, parts of Alpha and Beta, and even a WHOLE NEW GALAXY UNTOUCHED by the Federation, Klingon Empire, and Romulan Republic. We literally have a clean slate to work with here with Andromeda alone!

Also... to quote a certain Blue Hedgehog...
    No, it's not gonna end...My stories only end when I stop running.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    sheldonlcoopersheldonlcooper Member Posts: 4,042 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Nah, we can not fight the Q.

From a writing standpoint it will be difficult to generate the tension they have done with a 5 year Iconian buildup.

However, some ideas might be:

Mirror
    Temporal stuffs - maybe the sphere builders try to return - or some rogue future group
    "The Others" mentioned in the delta recruit story - unless these are the Preservers - who may well play a huge part in season 11 or 12.

I also like the idea of the alliance breaking down after the end of the war and maybe Sela takes control of the republic and the Klingons go on a rampage - maybe half of them side with Sela for a cool KDF civil war. The pvp season. Why not? Could be an interesting change.
    Captain Jean-Luc Picard: "We think we've come so far. Torture of heretics, burning of witches, it's all ancient history. Then - before you can blink an eye - suddenly it threatens to start all over again."

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

• Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,019 Community Moderator
    edited April 2015
    Yes... there is also that. The mysterious connection between V'ger and the Borg. Would LOVE to learn more.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)