test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

is the iconion war the last chapter for sto

124»

Comments

• quepanquepan Member Posts: 540 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Cosmic sure im going to go thru the archives of pod casts some that might not EXIST anymore in any form to provide you with a old reference, you want to go looking for it go look at the podcasts be my guest im not here to provide you with proof , if you been here long enough and a fan of the game then you would be listening to the different pod casts that have appeared and heard the same as i did .if you cant take my word for it or Remember thats not my fault . it was a LONG time ago . when was the last time a EP took time to speak to a podcast?? and even fewer casts to listen too . there are plenty of Trek casts not many left that cover STO
  • millimidgetmillimidget Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    valoreah wrote: »
    If this were indeed the end of STO, then what do you suppose the "far reaching repercussions" are?
    The "far reaching repercussions" could as easily reference the transition to maintenance mode.

I think that the situation in 2016 will be supportive of at least some continued development, but alot can change between now and then.
    "Tolerance and apathy are the last virtues of a dying society." - Aristotle
  • jorantomalakjorantomalak Member Posts: 7,133 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I don't read it that way at all. If this were indeed the end of STO, then what do you suppose the "far reaching repercussions" are? Perhaps this is just an end to the Iconian story arc and the game will move forward to something different.

The game seems to be making money for them, so why stop developing it and making more money? It wouldn't make much sense.

I hope your right man i wont hold my breath ive been burnt by other games penning out a bright and glorious future only to fold shop leaving you wondering da fuq happened.

so until cryptic shows us there will be a future of the game beyond the iconians i will proceed in thinking the 5 year journey is ending.
  • killalljedikillalljedi Member Posts: 88 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    r24681012 wrote: »
    i don,t know what anyone else thinks and would be glad of your comments but i feel that season 10 will be the last season for sto it seems all story lines from the past 4/5years have lead up to this moment and that is is the final chapter the final battle endgame i can,t see where else sto can go after this dont get me wrong i am looking forward to season 10 and the war of wars but whats next

what do you guys think would like to get thoughs on this

The Prophets/Wormhole Aliens mention that the Iconians were saved by "The Other" and will be saved by "The Other" again. So maybe "The Other" is the final boss.
  • millimidgetmillimidget Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I think it more likely they are planning an end to the Iconian conflict to introduce a brand new enemy which would allow for the advent of T7 ships and beyond.
    T7 ships? I'm sure someone at Cryptic is already working on those. And maybe T8, as well.

A brand new enemy? I hope not. It would be a good opportunity to focus any new content on the vague demands for "exploration." Really, that's about striking the right balance between non-combat and combat. To me, it's less about simulating the actual exploration of a new planet, and moreso simulating the non-combat aspect of the IP, which almost always came with a little bit of combat sprinkled in.

Cash cow or not, I can't see them pursuing any more 5-year plans. I'd certainly expect a 1-2 year arc focusing on the GQ, though. We'll see what the sector revamp brings, but there's also the potential for a 1-2 year development cycle filling in vast gaps already present in the AQ and BQ.

And while some want a lull in new content to allow for major bug fixes, I'd want a shorter lull in new content to allow all of the teams to get back onto the same code path, so that each new release doesn't reintroduce bugs fixed in a previous patch. I can't imagine how many person-hours they're wasting having to re-fix the same bugs periodically.
    "Tolerance and apathy are the last virtues of a dying society." - Aristotle
  • waldotrekwaldotrek Member Posts: 319 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Don't see this as the end. For one they still have a few races they could do something with examples: The Cardassians, The Q, etc

Also STO could always do a prequel kinda thing where you play missions that happened in the Voyager or DS9 era. Those alone could be two separate seasons.
    Former Moderator 10-28-16
  • horizons2052horizons2052 Member Posts: 184 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    To answer the OP -

Yes. This is the final chapter of STO.

It pretty much has to be.

-snip- (because everything after your initial statement was utter nonsense)

I, and many more like me, would be happy to continue to explore the rest of the galaxy. Regardless of whether or not there is an enemy present in the galaxy or not. But by all means, feel free to exit when the Iconian mess is over.
  • valianttomevalianttome Member Posts: 157 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I think it more likely they are planning an end to the Iconian conflict to introduce a brand new enemy which would allow for the advent of T7 ships and beyond. From everything we've been told here and read on various other gaming sites, STO is Cryptic's cash cow. I don't see them abandoning it to maintenance mode anytime soon.

Gotta move the story forward at some point. Five years of building up to a conflict....Did players actually expect it to take 10 years? Or that it be the last thing done?

This isnt a single player game people. Its an ever evolving entity. One with storylines that come and go. Much like the TV shows. Seasonal and MultiSeasonal Bad Guys come and go and new ones appear.

How about instead of jumping the shark. We enjoy the story telling thats going to come with the Fed/Klink/Rom vs Iconian War and we'll worry about whats next once we have the Iconians under heel?