test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Continued server stablity and lag issues.

yorethelyorethel Member Posts: 125 Arc User
Guys I'm post this here instead of the support because it is about STO in general and not a technical issue from our side as customers.

The game as it currently stands is unplayable in a lot of events, the lag and rubber banding are reminiscent of the early Beta which I played. Currently there are a lot of events that we simply cannot do with the server as unstable as it is.
I understand Cryptic/PWE want to attract new players, hence the events, but in it's current state it is not going to attract more people, in fact it is putting people off playing.

Now before the fanboys and those with their heads lodged firmly up the devs backsides, start flaming, this is a WIDESPREAD ISSUE!! This game is played more than just in the U.S. and has a large fanbase. Some of these problems are long term and were minor however, since before Christmas they have become major issues as less things have been fixed at the expense of putting in more items and content and now the game is:-

* Laggy.
* Unstable.
* Bugged to death.
* A grindfest and more of a job than a game
* Not fun anymore (because of the above)

I know there are changes ahead, which will be probably more "Shaka when the server crashed" rather than walls falling. A major fix is what's needed, not more money grabs for the next few months. People will only pay for a game they can actually play and putting in more things to buy when you can't actually get to use them simply isn't going to work, it will drive away customers in the end. I love STO but recently even my patience is wearing thin, it's become annoying and stressful to play and that defeats the purpose of a game.

Well that's my 2 pence worth, I dunno about the rest of you.

Cheers for reading if you could be bothered
Post edited by yorethel on

Comments

• Options
    borgx666borgx666 Member Posts: 127 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    yup i agree with you completely, Cryptic needs to take the servers offline and fix everything.
    if the put has much effort into fixing the game as they do making new content we would be laughing but it seems the new people that work at cryptic only care about making money, there is no pride in the game any more, its just a money making engine

has was said in the post above cryptic are driving more people away because of the issues than they are attracting new people

CRYPTIC stop thinking about making money, stop making new content, fix whats wrong in the game 1st, put some pride back into it or you wont have a player base left to make any money from
    Sto%20Final.png
  • Options
    davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,520 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Perhaps PWE/Cryptic needs to split STO into North American and Eurozone shards, since this seems to be mostly an issue for those across the ocean.

But they might have looked at the cost of maintaining 2 separate server clusters and decided that the extra income from happier non-NA customers wouldn't cover the extra costs.
  • Options
    tmassxtmassx Member Posts: 826 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I have "Server not respondind" every day 3-10 min while i want load a new map. My game is stucked on loading screen. This is since March 26.
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    Yeah it's not the fact that they put more things to buy that bothers me, afterall they are in business to make money. It's the fact that this seems to be done at the expense of server/game stability.

It's like someone beamed the devs away and replaced them with Ferengi. But even the Ferengi would realise unhappy customers spend no money.

I also agree with the point that there appears to be no pride in any of the work being done now, it's pushed out and details are missing, nobody is bothering to check these items on ships before it's put in, like name and size/placement of hull registry. here's a suggestion to the devs.

Make a checklist of things to check on a model before putting it in the game and have at least 2 people check it over before adding it to the game. Afterall if you want people to buy things put in the extra effort to make it look perfect it's called pride in your work.
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    @ davefenestrator

I agree with the server location being possibly an issue, but I've played since closed beta and the game over the years became more and more stable, sometimes with very little lag even for me in the UK.

it's only been since mid December that problems became unbearable in a lot of the STF's and time critical missions, so something has changed, whether it's Cryptics IP or their servers, but it hasn't changed for the better and if you lose the non American players that's going to be a lot of revenue gone, then the question is how long will the game last?

You don't cut off your nose to spite your face, especially in business these days.
  • Options
    vegeta50024vegeta50024 Member Posts: 2,335 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    spielman1 wrote: »
    What they need to is plane and simple is stop bulling around the issues and fix the issues that simple. Stop doing content and fix the many glaring issues players have complained about for the past I don't now 3 years.

Once more, I feel it's important to point out that if they stop putting out content to fix the issues, they will be losing out on money because nothing new will come out. This will mean that the people supporting this game no matter what will eventually complain there is nothing to spend money on and possibly spend their money elsewhere. Which will end up hurting the game even more.

Don't forget as a free-to-play game, this game doesn't solely survive on subscriptions any longer. They can't afford to stop making content because there's more money in putting out limited time ships and lock boxes than what subbing generates now.

They are trying to fix as many bugs as they see pop up. They aren't a large team like Blizzard that has the man power to fix bugs before they come up.

TSC_Signature_Gen_4_-_Vegeta_Small.png
  • Options
    captainpugwash1captainpugwash1 Member Posts: 908 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    In the UK, very random lag, game client not responding. Its nothing to do with peak play time as i was playing at 1am last night & some maps playable, some not. Even tried switching game play proxy but no different. Have friends in EU that haven't played since before Xmas, you can see in the chat box that they just keep getting disconnected.

The EU proxy is not working.
  • Options
    borgx666borgx666 Member Posts: 127 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Widespread? Nope you are poorly mistaken.

I live in a small town (population 45),crappy net provider yet i have no lag issues nor my game is unstable,now maybe once a day or twice at the most i get disconnected,Whoopi doo dah!!!! Takes me like 10 seconds at the most to login,going to sue Cryptic over it hahahaha

If the game is as you say and i quote:

Why are you still here,just man up and leave,i like the game and im enjoying myself,the day that stops i will move on with no post in the forums to attract attention...that is what i did with WoW and every other mmo ive played,seems to me the game has grown stale for you and thats fine so just move on and let the rest of us who are still enjoying it play it in peace.

oh right so we are supposed to do and say nothing and just move on...YEA RIGHT so then Cryptic will never no whats wrong and the problems will not get fixed, go do one fool, you just keep playing in your own little world, while the rest of us try to get something done about all the problem :mad:
    Sto%20Final.png
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    [/QUOTE=plasmanugget;23324831]Widespread? Nope you are poorly mistaken.

I live in a small town (population 45),crappy net provider yet i have no lag issues nor my game is Why are you still here,just man up and leave,i like the game and im enjoying myself,the day that stops i will move on with no post in the forums to attract attention...that is what i did with WoW and every other mmo ive played,seems to me the game has grown stale for you and thats fine so just move on and let the rest of us who are still enjoying it play it in peace.[/QUOTE]

This post was to get some attention from Cryptic and tell them what is going on. If you don't like what I put don't read and comment.

As I said the fanboys would come out...
  • Options
    ussdelphin2ussdelphin2 Member Posts: 525 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I'm in the UK, the only problem I have had with lag is in ESD, I really rubber banding all over the place trying to get my promotion, got DC'ed 3 times in 10 mind.... As soon as I beamed out it was fine agai, the whole game is lag free for me apart from ESD.

As for the game being like a grind fest, the game has been like that for a long time, it didn't happen over night.... If you want everything like reps and skill points maxed and you want them now.... That's you're problem. Give up the grind and just do what ever, skill points will come over time, reps are not even a grind.

The game does need a lot of improving in my opinion.... And that might happen over time too, maybe you should take a break for a while, don't stay just because it's Star Trek, only idiots do that.
    How I picture a lot of the forumites :P
  • Options
    dongemaharudongemaharu Member Posts: 544 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I'm in Tokyo and the game has been absolutely horrible since that last server maintenance. Before that, in fact exactly before, there was no problem. Maybe my ISP did something the exact time of the Cryptic maintenance or maybe my computer changed at the same exact time as Cryptic maintenance.....but I kinda doubt the bizarre coincidence.

-Debilitating rubberbanding
    -Constant disconnects
    -Trouble launching the game

I'm glad some people in small towns can still play the game, but apparently a heck of a lot of other people who also matter are having problems.

I've cut down my playing to pretty much doff assignments, and that's fine, but after a week of this shenanigans I'd like to know when I can come back to the game. After Delta recruit is over?
  • Options
    belidosbelidos Member Posts: 452 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I'm in the UK and ESD over the last few days, since the last patch, have had constant issues, mainly in the ESD hub area; two or three second freezes, occasional rubber banding, loss of connection to the server, complete loss of chat and so on.

Normally I play fine even when there are complaints of lag, but since the patch it's been almost every day for me, and it's not only me, whenever chat is working zone chat is flooded with people asking if anyone else is getting lag and describing the same issues.

So yes it is widespread, a lot of people are having the same issues in the same places at the same times, so those of you who aren't lagging fine I'm glad for you, but please don't say there isn't an issue for a lot of people because there is.
  • Options
    brawndomombrawndomom Member Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I'm in a major US metropolitan area with access to multiple ISPs and good wifi and landlines. That said, I have the same issues with disconnects, server lag, rubberbanding, etc., and it's across all maps and game areas. I play at different hours throughout the day, but the issues seems to be consistent.

I really enjoy the game, enjoy my fleetmates, and for the most part would continue to play, if that is possible - but at the moment, it is not. I have not been able to complete a game without issues since December. It is frustrating and turning a pleasurable part of my day into an annoyance.

It does appear that a serious look at the hardware side of the game has to be done by Cryptic, updated equipment needs to be installed and in sufficient quantity to handle to number of players, or a system has to be created to allow them to provide gameplaying resources to their customers - otherwise, their customers will find other games to play, regardless of new content or a lack thereof.

And yes, we are their customers, whether it's f2p folks or old-timers like me who bought in on day one.

Let's note that Cryptic is bringing out and supporting other games, so they do have the resources available; we simply are not seeing them in STO.
  • Options
    bejaymacbejaymac Member Posts: 448 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    In the UK, very random lag, game client not responding. Its nothing to do with peak play time as i was playing at 1am last night & some maps playable, some not. Even tried switching game play proxy but no different. Have friends in EU that haven't played since before Xmas, you can see in the chat box that they just keep getting disconnected.

The EU proxy is not working.

You do realize that 1 am UK is 8 pm where the servers are and 5 pm where Cryptic's offices are, so while you may not be on in peak time in the UK you are slap bang in the middle of peak time USA.
    That's why you were struggling, your signal was getting a clear run across the Atlantic, and then running into the brick wall that is netflix traffic once it hits the east coast.
  • Options
    captainpugwash1captainpugwash1 Member Posts: 908 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    bejaymac wrote: »
    You do realize that 1 am UK is 8 pm where the servers are and 5 pm where Cryptic's offices are, so while you may not be on in peak time in the UK you are slap bang in the middle of peak time USA.
    That's why you were struggling, your signal was getting a clear run across the Atlantic, and then running into the brick wall that is netflix traffic once it hits the east coast.

Yeah might be but played since 10am today & had nothing but problems, can even tell you when it started for me, Mon Feb 9th when my chat screwed & CLR started giving odd readouts & still is, chat is ok now.
  • Options
    jellico1jellico1 Member Posts: 2,719
    edited April 2015
    Serious lag doing space STFs

Hardly any lag doing ground STFs

I believe some of the space ability lag issues have come back from Tuesdays patch
    Jellico....Engineer ground.....Da'val Romulan space Sci
    Saphire.. Science ground......Ko'el Romulan space Tac
    Leva........Tactical ground.....Koj Romulan space Eng

JJ-Verse will never be Canon or considered Lore...It will always be JJ-Verse
  • Options
    joseph#2003 joseph Member Posts: 42 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    yorethel wrote: »
    Guys I'm post this here instead of the support because it is about STO in general and not a technical issue from our side as customers.

The game as it currently stands is unplayable in a lot of events, the lag and rubber banding are reminiscent of the early Beta which I played. Currently there are a lot of events that we simply cannot do with the server as unstable as it is.
    I understand Cryptic/PWE want to attract new players, hence the events, but in it's current state it is not going to attract more people, in fact it is putting people off playing.

Now before the fanboys and those with their heads lodged firmly up the devs backsides, start flaming, this is a WIDESPREAD ISSUE!! This game is played more than just in the U.S. and has a large fanbase. Some of these problems are long term and were minor however, since before Christmas they have become major issues as less things have been fixed at the expense of putting in more items and content and now the game is:-

* Laggy.
    * Unstable.
    * Bugged to death.

I know there are changes ahead, which will be probably more "Shaka when the server crashed" rather than walls falling. A major fix is what's needed, not more money grabs for the next few months. People will only pay for a game they can actually play and putting in more things to buy when you can't actually get to use them simply isn't going to work, it will drive away customers in the end. I love STO but recently even my patience is wearing thin, it's become annoying and stressful to play and that defeats the purpose of a game.

Well that's my 2 pence worth, I dunno about the rest of you.

Cheers for reading if you could be bothered

You may have not noticed, but if you can log in at all you really are ahead of a great many folks that can not. If you aren't doing the missions, you really are missing out. I was enjoying playing the Delta Missions until three days ago, four days ago was the last time I was actually able to play.

I am not certain what has you feeling like it is a grind fest, but if you simply back off and take the game a bit more leisurely you may find it to be a completely different experience. It may turn out to be fun, maybe do a little Fleet Action while you are waiting for your favorite television show. It really just boils down to finding your nitch, and if it isn't this game maybe there is another that better suits you.
  • Options
    imcguigaimcguiga Member Posts: 44 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I can't complete a single mission. Trying to move on ground or space is making me sea sick with all of the back and forth. This is not acceptable. They HAVE to do something. Either they need to stop having these limited time offers where 10 bajillion people are all trying to play at the same time, or they need to address the performance issue of the server and their bandwidth issues on the network.

I completely gave up yesterday after several hours of trying to play through some of my Romulan character. I gave up today after just one hour becuase I didn't want a repeat of yesterday.

I've reset my router. I've rebooted. I've done every performance trick in the book that I can from my end. The problem is not on my internet connection, it's not on my internet provider. It may be something local to the servers or somewhere between the servers. But since this is not a localized issue, it's not limited to only the US East Coast or just the UK, it's much more likely that the problem is simply poor coding on the server or an hardware issue.

This needs to be addressed and the only way it can be addressed is by having customers complain. The squeaky wheele gets the grease. If enough people complain about the issue then it will get addressed.
  • Options
    hyplhypl Member Posts: 3,719 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Widespread? Nope you are poorly mistaken.

I live in a small town (population 45),crappy net provider yet i have no lag issues nor my game is unstable,now maybe once a day or twice at the most i get disconnected,Whoopi doo dah!!!! Takes me like 10 seconds at the most to login,going to sue Cryptic over it hahahaha

If the game is as you say and i quote:

Why are you still here,just man up and leave,i like the game and im enjoying myself,the day that stops i will move on with no post in the forums to attract attention...that is what i did with WoW and every other mmo ive played,seems to me the game has grown stale for you and thats fine so just move on and let the rest of us who are still enjoying it play it in peace.

Ladies and gentlemen, the finest member of the Cryptic Defense Force. Let's give a round of applause. *golfclap*

Unfortunately this is an issue that affects people differently. Some are relatively unaffected, while others are constantly experiencing issues. There is nothing Cryptic can do about it, is unable to, or is unwilling. It's been like this for years now, and despite this STO is still a "success." This is how things are, and shall forever be. And nothing will change in this regard.

So you have two options. You can either accept the status quo and learn to deal with it, or find something else worth your investment. If you are truly unhappy with STO to the point where it is simply unbearable to play, do yourself a favor and exorcise your right as a consumer to treat yourself to something more worthy.
  • Options
    saborethsaboreth Member Posts: 62 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    borgx666 wrote: »
    yup i agree with you completely, Cryptic needs to take the servers offline and fix everything.
    if the put has much effort into fixing the game as they do making new content we would be laughing but it seems the new people that work at cryptic only care about making money, there is no pride in the game any more, its just a money making engine

has was said in the post above cryptic are driving more people away because of the issues than they are attracting new people

CRYPTIC stop thinking about making money, stop making new content, fix whats wrong in the game 1st, put some pride back into it or you wont have a player base left to make any money from

Yeah! How dare you think and act like a business! Whaddya think you are, a BUSINESS? Everyone knows you should be doing this totally for free, not for one cent ever! Live in a cardboard box with bad teeth and no health insurance and table scraps for food! THAT IS YOUR PLACE. How DARE you start a BUSINESS and look to make MONEY! You inhuman, villainous, soulless, conniving, vile, treacherous, shifty developers! And don't you even THINK about getting a raise or "quality of living" for your efforts, either! Back to the mill, techno-slaves!!!!

....Seriously, they can't win with you guys, can they? You're all so Hell bent on calling them evil, pocketrobbing supervillains that you can't live with -anything- they do. Before this game started exploding content (and they've been brilliant at adding more and more to the game to keep it as fresh as they can), that was your collective chief complaint. "More content! More CONTENT, you selfish jerks! MORE CONTENT!" They could release three new games worth of content, most of you will blow through it in two days, and demand MORE CONTENT! Now it's HOW DARE YOU MAKE MONEY AT ALL.

Look. They're a business. Every business on earth is trying to make money. That's why they're called a BUSINESS. They are NOT doing this for free. Nor should they. They need to keep the game afloat, pay their programmers, and give their staff annual raises where due so their quality of living can be rewarded for the time they spend on this game. They are NOT evil because they want to keep the game going and afford nice things for their trouble. How about you do everything about your job totally for free and work one and a half to twice as many hours, only to be slapped down by the people you're working for and providing service to as a malignant wart on the soul of humanity? Try it. Aspire for some perspective here.

Every MMO on the entire internet has a vicious, vocal, overwhelmingly negative (read: borderling psychotic) following on its forum boards, howling for blood and vilifying the developers of the game. EVERY. SINGLE. ONE. EVER. I've been on eight MMOs at least and the forums were all the same, to the last. Rage, rage, rage, rage, rage. Whether or not they had a good reason is immaterial (98 percent of the time they were just being difficult). Tantrums and anger solve nothing and they've said elsewhere on this page in a FAQ that people shouting them down with intense negatvitiy are LESS likely to ever have their complaints heard, fair or not.

Seriously. They are no more evil for running a business than YOU are for using it. It's the nature of the beast the world over. Stop howling about how dark and profane you collectively think they are and give them a break, already.
  • Options
    farmallmfarmallm Member Posts: 4,630 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    So far mine works good for what I have. I saw a little "rubber banding" this morning around the Delta area. But is was very minor. Odd part was it wasn't crowded as it used to be.

To me it could be part of their issue. However part I would say is mine. Since my computer is pushing 10 years old. Until I get a new computer and play STO. I can't put the blame all on Cryptic.
    Enterprise%20C_zpsrdrf3v8d.jpg

USS Casinghead NCC 92047 launched 2350
    Fleet Admiral Stowe - Dominion War Vet.
  • Options
    nandospcnandospc Member Posts: 1,260 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Yeah, the problem is serious and need to be addressed. We can't continue this way, every day is full of rubberbanding and lag and with no replies from Cryptic guys it's even frustrating for a lot of players :( Just look at PESTF or DPS-10000 chat after an ISA run or in NoP after a massive generalized lag, every day you can read complains about this situation. Please, fix it :(
  • Options
    scififan78scififan78 Member Posts: 1,383 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Please for the love of player sanity, roll back whatever "updates" you released last Tuesday. I have had very little issues before last Tuesday but since then, problems out the wazoo. I just got home from work (grave shift) and wanted to get some doffing started before bed but, I can't.

1. Took forever to get the launcher to load.
    2. Once loaded, took forever for the character to load.
    3. Login2_Failed (seriously, what is this?)
    3. re-log and select character to get Login2_Failed.
    4. Re-log and finally get in to be met immediately with "Server not responding" and disconnect.
    5. Account Server Timeout.
    6. Account Server Timeout.
    7. Shut down before I do something stupid like throw my laptop across the room.

I have always given Cryptic the benefit of doubt but, that is getting harder and harder to do.

:mad: x 100
  • Options
    vengefuldjinnvengefuldjinn Member Posts: 1,520 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    tmassx wrote: »
    I have "Server not responding" every day.

Me too and laggy as all hell.

During some events, the lag is so bad that there is a delay in my pressing a power ability and that ability actually happening.

Or -

I'll be in one area one second and instantly in another, usually destroyed, or on the verge of being so.
    tumblr_o2aau3b7nh1rkvl19o1_400.gif

• Options
    eagleeyeabceagleeyeabc Member Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I can only agree with the people here, have the same lagging issues at exactly the same time, every damn day for nearly half a year or longer by now.

I've sent all tracert and pingplotter reports to cryptic, but obiviously they don't seem to care :mad:
  • Options
    seiberkagenekoseiberkageneko Member Posts: 55 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I can only agree with the people here, have the same lagging issues at exactly the same time, every damn day for nearly half a year or longer by now.

I've sent all tracert and pingplotter reports to cryptic, but obiviously they don't seem to care :mad:

Why would they care? I'm in the same boat as the rest of the people in this thread. I can't even get the launcher to load. It acts like it's loading, but it never loads. I gave up Champions Online because I can't cross a map. I can't even LAUNCH star trek. But, cryptic has people playing STO apparently, so TRIBBLE the rest. As long as they have some players in the game spending money, they don't need the rest.
  • Options
    thecosmic1thecosmic1 Member Posts: 9,365 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Why would they care? I'm in the same boat as the rest of the people in this thread. I can't even get the launcher to load. It acts like it's loading, but it never loads. I gave up Champions Online because I can't cross a map. I can't even LAUNCH star trek. But, cryptic has people playing STO apparently, so TRIBBLE the rest. As long as they have some players in the game spending money, they don't need the rest.
    Did you do a TraceRt to see if the issue was your ISP? Did you a a nettest to see if the issue was Cogent? Did you do a Forced Verify to see if your software was corrupted? Did you change your Proxy to see if that was the issue? Did you turn off your Firewall to see if that was causing a block to the Server? Did you check to see if all your Drivers were up to date?
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
  • Options
    joseph#2003 joseph Member Posts: 42 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    hypl wrote: »
    Ladies and gentlemen, the finest member of the Cryptic Defense Force. Let's give a round of applause. *golfclap*

Unfortunately this is an issue that affects people differently. Some are relatively unaffected, while others are constantly experiencing issues. There is nothing Cryptic can do about it, is unable to, or is unwilling. It's been like this for years now, and despite this STO is still a "success." This is how things are, and shall forever be. And nothing will change in this regard.

So you have two options. You can either accept the status quo and learn to deal with it, or find something else worth your investment. If you are truly unhappy with STO to the point where it is simply unbearable to play, do yourself a favor and exorcise your right as a consumer to treat yourself to something more worthy.

Actually, there are a few choices. You can contact the state that issued their business license and file a formal compliant. You can also file with the Better Business Bureau. Both take time, but both are available for any consumer to exercise.

Regardless what you decide to do, I do encourage you to be patient and allow Cryptic until 14 Apr 15 to resolve these issue, that would be exactly one week from when they began. This way you show you brought this issue to their attention, gave them time to resolve it. Which both work in your favor and not theirs. Is it a pain while we all have to wait, yes.

But, you aren't alone. There are many of us in the same boat you are. Give them just a little more time is what I recommend. And if you are very unhappy, you now know what you can do about it.

I wish you the best of luck.
  • Options
    johngazmanjohngazman Member Posts: 2,826 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    It appears the Login queues are back, too.
    You're just a machine. And machines can be broken.
    StarTrekFirstContactBorgBattleonetumblr_lln3v6QoT31qzrtqe.gif