test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Anyone else tempted to make their Delta their main

roadghostroadghost Member Posts: 394 Arc User
So back at the end of Beta I wanted to be all true to the idea of Star Trek and made my first character a Vulcan scientist. He lasted up until STFs came along and the shortcomings of the science class in PVE were exposed.

I next made a liberated Borg engineer. She quickly became my main. Can tank anything. Can fly into the middle and just sit there and take the hits (space and ground). Does decent DPS usually first in pugs, but really will never be 'uber'. Just rock solid and not have worry about respawning in the middle of a fight.

About a year ago I bought my kid a lifetime subscription and made a tactical for myself for when we team. It doesn't get played that much. Took a year just to reach 50, so really not something I have a feel for.

Well my Delta I decided to finally take tactical seriously. I hit 50 today. Holy TRIBBLE, I didn't realize.. I mean, I knew.. but really didn't take into account what all the bonuses were going to be when added up. Basically with my current main giving reputation sponsorship tokens for everything, by the end of the event my Delta will be close to my main in everything except Doff'ing and accolades. With all the buffs in place for ships defenses, I think I could probably not have to worry about being a scared little bunny in fights.

I'm starting to think that my Delta might not end up on the dust pile after all. Anyone else bonding with theirs?
Post edited by roadghost on

Comments

• Options
    battykoda0battykoda0 Member Posts: 959 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    No. I have spent too much on upgrades for the ones I already had. Not a chance. Level 50 and out.
    Wow. There is a new KDF Science ship. I'll be!
  • Options
    warmaker001bwarmaker001b Member Posts: 9,205 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    No way my Delta Recruit/Operative will ever be Main Status. I can work the Reputation to Tier 5 easy enough with Sponsorship Tokens. But competitive gear, ships, premium traits? Premium ships? The long slow slog of Post-Lv50 advancement? The trouble I went through to attain what Specializations I have? Upgraded equipment? Gaining BOFFs like Breen, Non-Republic Reman, Borg SCI Officer? The costs of attaining ver III of some of the BOFF abilities?

I would have to be high on drugs to make a Delta Recruit/Operative a main. My mains are so far ahead and considering the costs in game resources and time to get them there, I'm not fond of repeating that process. Once I got what I wanted from this Delta thing, these new characters are going the way of the Meat Grinder.

If I was a new player it would be different, but I'm not. I have characters that have been around since this game launched and are light years ahead. I'd be insane to make Delta Recruits/Operative be mains.
    XzRTofz.gif
  • Options
    damainxdamainx Member Posts: 90 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Nope. Not even close to a main. I'm using my delta guy until all the missions are complete, then, I'll park him forever.

I felt like I needed to rush to get to at least 50 so I didn't miss out on the Romulan Navy set.

I realize now that ship packs are just a waste of money. You buy the ships, but, the 4th console needed to complete it is from the anniversary and my recruit will NEVER get that. Same thing happened with the Dyson ships. I wanted the Kobali set for my Delta guy, but, can't. NO.

Can't have Kobali, can't have Dyson, what ship pack is next that I can't have?

Grinding all those reps is mind-numbing not to mention that it's next to impossible now to get things like the Borg Neural Processors, etc. So, getting nice sets are out. NO.

Crafting AGAIN to level 15? I'm not even done with my main yet! NO.

Grind all those command points, AGAIN? seriously? NO.

Spend millions in Dil. on fleet projects? NO.

Please, give me a real reason to use this tool as my main.

Total waste of time. I wish they would just let us designate a toon for Delta Recruitment and let me complete it at my own pace.
  • Options
    drakethewhitedrakethewhite Member Posts: 1,240 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    In no way, shape or form.
  • Options
    shpoksshpoks Member Posts: 6,967 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Nope.

Waaaaaaay to much of everything invested in my main over the last 3-4 years for the thought of replacing him to be even remotely conciveable. Only reason I do DR to unlcok the photonic officer and trait for him.
    The "Delta" character will be relegated to the waiting room until my 3 mains of each faction and all characters that I made before are "finished". Which by my estimate, with the current pace of the game, will be in the year 6478.
    HQroeLu.jpg
  • Options
    tk79tk79 Member Posts: 1,020 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Never. My Delta Recruit is delegated only to crafting Aegis shields. That's all he's useful for. Otherwise, a waste of space and time.
    U.S.S. Eastgate Photo Wall
    STO Screenshot Archive

• Options
    bobtheskull99bobtheskull99 Member Posts: 706 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    roadghost wrote: »
    So back at the end of Beta I wanted to be all true to the idea of Star Trek and made my first character a Vulcan scientist. He lasted up until STFs came along and the shortcomings of the science class in PVE were exposed.

I next made a liberated Borg engineer. She quickly became my main. Can tank anything. Can fly into the middle and just sit there and take the hits (space and ground). Does decent DPS usually first in pugs, but really will never be 'uber'. Just rock solid and not have worry about respawning in the middle of a fight.

About a year ago I bought my kid a lifetime subscription and made a tactical for myself for when we team. It doesn't get played that much. Took a year just to reach 50, so really not something I have a feel for.

Well my Delta I decided to finally take tactical seriously. I hit 50 today. Holy TRIBBLE, I didn't realize.. I mean, I knew.. but really didn't take into account what all the bonuses were going to be when added up. Basically with my current main giving reputation sponsorship tokens for everything, by the end of the event my Delta will be close to my main in everything except Doff'ing and accolades. With all the buffs in place for ships defenses, I think I could probably not have to worry about being a scared little bunny in fights.

I'm starting to think that my Delta might not end up on the dust pile after all. Anyone else bonding with theirs?

in somewhat the same boat...my DR is my first Tac on the fed side and I think i'm going to start "chasing DPS" with this one.....I have a pretty good head start too :)
  • Options
    rezkingrezking Member Posts: 1,109 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    roadghost wrote: »

I'm thinking about it and my Deltas will stick around for a while.
    I would make one my main IF there were some future content that are Delta-exclusive.
    NO to ARC
    RIP KDF and PvP 2014-07-17 Season 9.5 - Death by Dev
  • Options
    bluegeekbluegeek Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    My new Fed recruit will probably never completely replace the character I feel is my main (also a Fed Vulcan Sci, btw).

But I've already spent more time working on my recruit's bio and imagining what a fully-realized Joined Trill would be like in this game. All those reputation traits, ship mastery traits, and specializations... when I reach that point I'm going to pretend he was like that all along, with several lifetimes of experience under his belt. No small wonder he's able to become a Fleet Admiral in a year.

And he will.
    My views may not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment. You can file a "forums and website" support ticket here
    Link: How to PM - Twitter @STOMod_Bluegeek
  • Options
    cptjhuntercptjhunter Member Posts: 2,288 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Nope, too much time, and effort put into my Fed and Klink Main characters. I will run the story line, then keep it as a resource farmer.
  • Options
    stormstrykestormstryke Member Posts: 31 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    battykoda0 wrote: »
    No. I have spent too much on upgrades for the ones I already had. Not a chance. Level 50 and out.

Almost the same. I will finish the arcs then out. Right now 52 and still have Cold Storage and the Cardassian Struggle that I skipped most of those awful missions. So I'll probably get close to 56 if I do those during the double xp week. Funny how the later missions give better xp than Cardassian and are better missions too.

Then Romulan recruit will finish the Romulan arcs prior to the ally merge. And the KDF will do those mission arcs up to what they have to unlock.
    _____

Lifetime no longer gives a forum title. That should be updated on the Lifetime page that mentions what you get. PMing the CSR doesn't work neither.
  • Options
    woodwhitywoodwhity Member Posts: 2,636 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    No

/10chars
  • Options
    bobbydazlersbobbydazlers Member Posts: 4,534 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    my delta will be a useful alt but would never replace my main characters, I will not be buying any end game gear for him, seeking out accolades, levelling up his crafting beyond getting the delta rewards, and many other things that make my mains so special to me.
    sure I will keep him around for occational use but that will be all.

if you are having fun with yours and intending to use him as a main that's fine but I don't think many will go that way.

When I think about everything we've been through together,

maybe it's not the destination that matters, maybe it's the journey,

and if that journey takes a little longer,

so we can do something we all believe in,

I can't think of any place I'd rather be or any people I'd rather be with.

• Options
    hyplhypl Member Posts: 3,719 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Haha, no. lol

My recruits are nothing but Contraband farmers when I'm done with them. :P
  • Options
    shar487ashar487a Member Posts: 1,292 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    The only way I would even consider making my delta character my primary is if PWE allowed all lockbox ships to be unlocked account-wide, and we all know this will not happen any time soon.
  • Options
    lianthelialianthelia Member Posts: 7,825 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    damainx wrote: »
    Nope. Not even close to a main. I'm using my delta guy until all the missions are complete, then, I'll park him forever.

I felt like I needed to rush to get to at least 50 so I didn't miss out on the Romulan Navy set.

I realize now that ship packs are just a waste of money. You buy the ships, but, the 4th console needed to complete it is from the anniversary and my recruit will NEVER get that. Same thing happened with the Dyson ships. I wanted the Kobali set for my Delta guy, but, can't. NO.

Can't have Kobali, can't have Dyson, what ship pack is next that I can't have?

Grinding all those reps is mind-numbing not to mention that it's next to impossible now to get things like the Borg Neural Processors, etc. So, getting nice sets are out. NO.

Crafting AGAIN to level 15? I'm not even done with my main yet! NO.

Grind all those command points, AGAIN? seriously? NO.

Spend millions in Dil. on fleet projects? NO.

Please, give me a real reason to use this tool as my main.

Total waste of time. I wish they would just let us designate a toon for Delta Recruitment and let me complete it at my own pace.

Well you can purchase the Dyson ship with Lobi and I imagine eventually will be able to do the same with the Kobali...

To answer the original question, I just may do that...it has been a long time and think its time to get back to my favorite ST race. I haven't seriously played a Romulan since Pre-DR...I gave in and picked up my old Fed again...just because they get everything.

But no, it's time to get back to Romulans and my DR may very well be my new main.
  • Options
    stofskstofsk Member Posts: 1,744 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Yeah my delta is now my main. Primarily because I deleted all my old characters for reasons I don't really want to go into. But the event is a clean slate, so basically any character I make now will be my main by virtue of the fact i don't have any other.
  • Options
    xithrobbenxithrobben Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Even with all the rewards, it doesn't come close to bridging the kind of grind Cryptic has forced us to invest into our mains. Do you have any idea how difficult, expensive and infuriating it is to obtain best in slot weapons, as a single example?

If more things like traits were account wide once unlocked it'd make that kind of transition much more accommodating. But as it is, the Delta rewards would have to be 10x greater to entice many players to switch mains.
  • Options
    thatcursedwolfthatcursedwolf Member Posts: 1,617 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    As much as I have any "main" my DR will likely by my "main" KDF captain.

I had one before, made before I had figured much out, didn't know the difference between battle cloaks and cloaks, and didn't enjoy it much. While they have a pile of unused event ships they also have a lot of baggage the DR KDF doesn't.

I don't go for BiS slot as much as GEiS (Good Enough in Slot) anyways.
    This is my Risian Corvette. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
  • Options
    spyralpegacyonspyralpegacyon Member Posts: 408 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Considering I'm exactly the kind of new/returning player that the event was aimed at, yes. Kynda and Xoy are definitely in the lead to be my main alt.

(Probably Kynda. KDF life is fun!)
    tumblr_n1hmq4Xl7S1rzu2xzo2_400.gif
  • Options
    trejgontrejgon Member Posts: 323 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Well I started playing at january this year and as my fed engi main is lvl 60 had already kinda good gear I actually am considering making my tactical romulan deltie new main of some sort...

even without considering all engineer versus tactical thingie things I already know about what and where I can have from the mere fact of Aerar being romulan it seems that after all she will be just doing better what my current main was doing.

especially considering that when I'll get her on ship I planned for her she will easily outperform what I planned for my current main (basically after all it seems like this ship was warbird copypaste of what I wanted to give to my fed engi main but with strapped singularity powers unique console that makes set with guns from earlier zenship for even better dps and hanger bay just on top of it..... ah and it rotates faster)

The_Science_Channel_Signature_Gen_2_-_Elenortirie_xSmall.png
  • Options
    fltcaptalanfltcaptalan Member Posts: 47 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I have six characters now, two fed, two kdf and two rom, one of each being a delta, and my main is my original fed, and will always be, my delta klingon may replace my original klingon, I want to see how well he gets up to where my original klingon is (from 50 to 54) it only took a day and a half last weekend to get to 50, so its possible that my delta klingon will replace my original klingon as my go to klingon. ill see where the road will take me.
  • Options
    fraghul2000fraghul2000 Member Posts: 1,590 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Never.

Would simply take way, way too much time and rescources to bring him even closely en par with the other chars. Weapons, gear, rep, costumes, ships, special boffs and doffs, skill trees, crafting, accolades...no way the Delta recruit will ever be able to catch up, even if I'd solely focus on him. I'll probably just gut and delete him when this is over.

What the whole recruitment event really showed me so far is, that I'd hate to be someone just getting into the game.
  • Options
    anazondaanazonda Member Posts: 8,399 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    My main character is from the day STO went live...

It earned it's place in the ranks, and will remain my character until the day that STO dies.

And even when that happens, I hope we will be allowed to get a stand-alone server, so he can keep on living
    Don't look silly... Don't call it the "Z-Store/Zen Store"...
    Let me put the rumors to rest: it's definitely still the C-Store (Cryptic Store) It just takes ZEN.
    Like Duty Officers? Support effords to gather ideas
  • Options
    gl2814egl2814e Member Posts: 328 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    At the moment it's looking like my Delta Tactical Starfleet Officer will become my main. I transferred my dilithium from my farmers to him, opened up fleet projects for him to get fleet gear with, upgraded that gear, and I'm having a complete blast.

There is a small chance a Science Romulan I rolled could overtake him because he'd have access to less starships. (Meaning I'd stop changing my mind and commit to a ship.)

Plus there are less Romulans so I'd feel more Heroic as a Science Commander. (Cool ranks too; Sub-Commander.)
  • Options
    medalionemissarymedalionemissary Member Posts: 612 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Not a CHANCE

I didn't look at anything I was doing, I was just racing to the finish line as fast as I could with no thought of ever taking this thing seriously... just enough to survive and kill enemies

My main is my main for a reason
    Deep Space Nine in HD, make it so!
  • Options
    caylenrcaylenr Member Posts: 126 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I've felt the temptation, but there's just too much that time does for a character in this game.

My main has hundreds of thousands of dilithium invested in equipment upgrades, maxed out reputations, some lockbox and lobi items that aren't shared between characters.

I just don't see myself swapping mains at this stage.
  • Options
    warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    As things stand, no. Although I miss having the Delta Recruit symbol/title on my main, too much would be lost forever if I abandoned my current main.

If accolades were account-wide and I could transfer or reclaim old event rewards on a Delta toon...then maybe.
  • Options
    ragingloliragingloli Member Posts: 63 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I'm not even tempted to create one.