test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

What playing KDF side means to you?

icsairgunsicsairguns Member Posts: 1,504 Arc User
edited June 2015 in Klingon Discussion
I see allot of arguments in general that usually get flooded with fed players bashing kdf players and making excuses for this and that all while failing to objectively read and think through the issues.

So what id like to ask KDF players, NOT FEDS is what does the KDF represent for you?

For me:

its a fantasy Escape from the current Liberal real world we have to deal with. political correctness, tree hugging, takes a village, save the whales, anti war , free healthcare and all that sort of stuff.

So when ever here even in the forums i tend to stay in char as i do in game.

I want a strong independent Empire to escape too, If i wanted the live long and prosper experience id play a fed. if i wanted the shady back room, stab you in the back deals id play a rommy.

No i want a straight forward. no nonsense loud mouth warrior that says what he thinks about whoever or whatever he wants with no regard to who is around. Just as its explained by Worf to his fellow DS9 cronies on their covert mission.

For me the KDf was this escape. but not so much with the arrival of LoR and most defiantly not since DR.

(LoR did atleast open up KDF to play from start so ill give it that , and the beginning missions revamp)
Trophies for killing FEDS ahh those were the days. Ch'ar%20POST%20LoR.JPG

Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    darthkuribohdarthkuriboh Member Posts: 211 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    It's a chance to let a part of me out to play that doesn't get to during the day. During the day, I have to work, I take care of my hunting targ (beagle), and have to be pretty mild tempered and minded. Since I'm really not, that's fairly tiring, so I like to play the KDF and let the real side of me cut loose and be a warrior.
  • Options
    thunderfoot#5163 thunderfoot Member Posts: 4,540 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    For myself, it is because I get to let that six year old boy from all those years ago be the pirate he always wanted to be. :D
    A six year old boy and his starship. Living the dream.
  • Options
    fatman592fatman592 Member Posts: 1,207 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    They're excellent farmers...
  • Options
    ikonn#1068 ikonn Member Posts: 1,449 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    The Empire itself is way less bureaucratic and there's no BS when it comes to the Empire. I definitely like that mindset. There's the political intrigues, sure (Great Houses and the Council in general), but overall, the Empire itself is pretty cut and dry.

Playing KDF allows me to run a K'tinga-class ship... my personal favorite ST ship.

It also allows me to get away from the Federation (Zone chat, and other idiocies) and to simply enjoy the game.
    -AoP- Warrior's Blood (KDF Armada) / -AoP- Qu' raD qulbo'Degh / -AoP- Project Phoenix
  • Options
    sinn74sinn74 Member Posts: 1,149 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    1. No Earth Spacedock. Worth it for that alone.

2. I always thought the ships were scary and cool looking when I was a kid. I liked it when Kirk and the rest appropriated the BOP, because I could see more of it.

3. No Earth Spacedock.

4. The game makes no sense as a Fed. Bashing and blowing things up makes perfect sense from a Klingon perspective.

5. I've no idea why, but KDF players are better. Never failed a PUG with all KDF players. Ever.
  • Options
    snakevorerulessnakevorerules Member Posts: 55 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    #1 Klingon's have there honour.
    #2 i love there ships
    #3 i have played fed and rommie and despise both factions
    #4 Klingon's may not have as many ships as the fed scum,err i mean feds but we give as good as we take,
    #5 Cause there Klingons...enough said
  • Options
    fraghul2000fraghul2000 Member Posts: 1,590 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    red UI instead of blue or green, more contraband, longer queues, green and red dots leaving my ship, instead of yellow/blue or green/green.

factions are too much the same and not seperated enough to get any sort of immersion out of it. Most people I've met are playing both factions with the same frequency, every fleet I've been in has had a counterpart on the other side for their fed chars. So imho, they're the same.

In the past 4 years I've met the same percentage of decent people and *******s on both sides, I've seen awesome groups and complete failures in PvP on both sides and out of literally thousands of queue events (both through channels and PuGs) there have been the same amount of morons and overachievers.

Most of the times it's even hard to tell which faction someone belongs to (thanks to Trill and Alien species) when meeting them on neutral ground, without selecting them.
  • Options
    warmaker001bwarmaker001b Member Posts: 9,205 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    The closest thing to an authentic Star Trek experience is in the KDF. I know STO stretches things, but the way the Federation and Romulans are portrayed in STO, they're absolutely nothing like their canon versions. The KDF is the only playable thing in this game that has some semblance of "Star Trek." Everything else is a parody of their canon originals.

When I play the Fed/Rom missions, I'm oftenly thinking "Who the hell are these jokers?"
    XzRTofz.gif
  • Options
    revanindustriesrevanindustries Member Posts: 508 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    To me, there are 2 main reasons. First, I've always loved BoPs, so the faction that has them was going to be my main. Second, and more importantly it's for the thrill of the challenge. Yeah we are overlooked, disliked as a faction. Sure we have fewer and inferior ships to the Federation. Yes we are not handed everything to us on a golden platter. But still we press on, despite all odds. And y'know what?? We are better for it. We play smarter with what we have, and we pull more out of our rust-buckets than most Feds will ever do with all their shinies..

There's always something attractive about being the underdog.
  • Options
    branmakmorrnbranmakmorrn Member Posts: 82 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    I must go up to the stars again, to the cold space above the sky,
    And all I ask is a cloaked ship and a star to steer her by,
    And the disruptor's kick and the torpedo's song and the cloak's shaking,
    And a debris field against black space, and a red dawn breaking.

I must go up to the stars again, for the call of the warp reactor aligned,
    Is a wild call and a clear call that may not be denied;
    And all I ask is a warrior's task with the birds of prey flying,
    And the warp plasma spray and the shattered hull, and my enemy's dying.

I must go up to the stars again, to the vagrant Klingon life,
    To honor's way and a victorious day, where the solar wind's like a whetted knife;
    And all I ask is a tale of honor from a laughing fellow-warrior,
    And flagons of bloodwine and a bloodied bat'leth when the long trick's over.
  • Options
    davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,523 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I don't RP in game, but I do try to stay true to the character I've created. So my Fed characters are a mix of Picard and Kirk and will do things like try for a peaceful solution, take prisoners and accept surrender.

My Klingon characters are not so nice. They'll accept a non-violent solution if it can be done honorably and it's best for the Empire but otherwise: Battle! And Hassan The Undying? Not any more.
  • Options
    variant37variant37 Member Posts: 867 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I've always found the "bad guys" to be a lot more fun than the heroes, so I've always liked the Klingons. The opening sequence in TMP where those 3 K'tingas engage V'Ger is easily the best scene in that snoozer of a movie. I really, really enjoyed seeing the Klingons fleshed out as a culture in TNG and then DS9, and any episodes where they were central to the plot are always among my favorites. Worf, K'Ehleyr, Lursa and B'Etor, Gowron, Martok, Kang, Koloth and Kor? All great characters.

On top of that, like some other people in this thread, I'll always root for an underdog. I'm somewhat surprised that the KDF (and Romulans) are so underrepresented in this game. Do that many players really only play Fed? Talk about boring! I have a couple of Fed characters, but the Federation is the least interesting faction in this game!
  • Options
    zipagatzipagat Member Posts: 1,204 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Originally I picked the KDF because of it being toted as the PVP faction (at launch) but I stayed because it has the better community. Plus the Klingons always were one of my favourites from the TV series.
  • Options
    fsuikafsuika Member Posts: 29 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    more contraband and space lizard :cool:
  • Options
    schloopdooschloopdoo Member Posts: 373 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    It means several different things, but primarily it means playing a faction whose character is actually appropriate for such a combat-focused game.
  • Options
    trygvar13trygvar13 Member Posts: 697 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I work in an office 8 to 10 hours a day. I love my job but it is a little too quiet. I do have a few Fed chars but none of them have reached the top level yet. I have a few Klingon Dahar Masters and one Romulan Fleet Admiral. The blue side is just not appealing to me. It reminds me of work:) And it's far from what the Federation was in Star Trek. The Klingons however are a lot closer to what we've seen and read so far. Too bad that one of the best "Klingon" mission is fed-only (Doomsday Machine). Worf said in the TNG: The Wounded something that defines the KDF for me: trust is earned, not given away.

Qoy qeylIs puqloD.
    Qoy puqbe'pu'
    . yoHbogh matlhbogh je SuvwI'
    Say'moHchu' may' 'Iw.
    maSuv manong 'ej maHoHchu'.
    nI'be' yInmaj 'ach wovqu'
    . batlh maHeghbej 'ej yo' qIjDaq vavpu'ma' DImuv.
    pa' reH maSuvtaHqu'. mamevQo'. maSuvtaH. ma'ov.
    Dahar Master Qor'aS
  • Options
    jaguarskxjaguarskx Member Posts: 5,945 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    What playing KDF side means to you?

It means bending over and getting shafted.
  • Options
    coupaholiccoupaholic Member Posts: 2,188 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    It's just more fun.
  • Options
    orion0029orion0029 Member Posts: 1,122 Bug Hunter
    edited April 2015
    To me, there are 2 main reasons. First, I've always loved BoPs, so the faction that has them was going to be my main. Second, and more importantly it's for the thrill of the challenge. Yeah we are overlooked, disliked as a faction. Sure we have fewer and inferior ships to the Federation. Yes we are not handed everything to us on a golden platter. But still we press on, despite all odds. And y'know what?? We are better for it. We play smarter with what we have, and we pull more out of our rust-buckets than most Feds will ever do with all their shinies..

This is moderately offensive to people who play Fed, I consider myself a decently Intelligent player and have gotten more out of my Gal-X than most people get out of thier lockbox shinies, you seem to be missing the fact that since there are more Feds there will be more morons too, I've personally seen my share of idiotic KDF players so you can't make generalizaitons like that and be accurate.

That said, I have to agree with most of this, yes KDF is somewhat overlooked, I have yet to buy a ship that I like 100%, I do, however, like being able 'Vape' NPC's at low levels, and KDF does have more... creative hangar pets for their carriers. (Really waiting for a T6 Vo'quv :D)
  • Options
    starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    icsairguns wrote: »
    So what id like to ask KDF players, NOT FEDS is what does the KDF represent for you?
    It means getting forced to be a tlhIngan Hol-spamming lunatic who gets railroaded into committing war crimes because "honor", despite playing a Lethean mercenary.

Look, the reason there are so many bad Fed players is the same reason the Feds get more shinies: There's more Fed players, period, so the stupid gets concentrated on that side.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • Options
    schrondigerschrondiger Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    what does the KDF represent for you?

A full crew of Orion women with disruptors, pillaging? :D
  • Options
    vindicivuotovindicivuoto Member Posts: 38 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    The most enjoyable aspect by far - playing KDF gives me a legitimate reason to suppress my laziness and delve into Klingonese, in order to properly name my ships. I love naming ships and I love learning new languages, so it's a marriage made in Sto'Vo'Kor. Even though Klingon leaves my throat parched every time, heh. Little things like that get me invested in a game more than anything.

So far I've got vaqwI'nab reserved for my future B'rel, which translates as "plan mocker", or as my crew affectionately calls her, "mock the plan". Also, awaiting patiently for a D7, I have here ghawran mInDu' maw' (Gowron's crazy eyes), for despite his many shortcomings, none can deny that he's got the Klingonest stare.

That's regarding my Klingon character. I'm yet undecided what to call my Delta Gorn's Vo'Quv. One shouldn't rush those things anyway.

Oh, and if anyone snatches my ideas, I'll find you Zod-style and SNAP YOUR HANDS WITH MY NECK! :D
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I get to play as a pirate who pretends to listen to the High Council as he pillages from anyone and everyone he can get away with pillaging from, especially Klingons.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    rakija879rakija879 Member Posts: 646 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    trygvar13 wrote: »
    I work in an office 8 to 10 hours a day. I love my job but it is a little too quiet. I do have a few Fed chars but none of them have reached the top level yet. I have a few Klingon Dahar Masters and one Romulan Fleet Admiral. The blue side is just not appealing to me. It reminds me of work:) And it's far from what the Federation was in Star Trek. The Klingons however are a lot closer to what we've seen and read so far. Too bad that one of the best "Klingon" mission is fed-only (Doomsday Machine). Worf said in the TNG: The Wounded something that defines the KDF for me: trust is earned, not given away.

Qoy qeylIs puqloD.
    Qoy puqbe'pu'
    . yoHbogh matlhbogh je SuvwI'
    Say'moHchu' may' 'Iw.
    maSuv manong 'ej maHoHchu'.
    nI'be' yInmaj 'ach wovqu'
    . batlh maHeghbej 'ej yo' qIjDaq vavpu'ma' DImuv.
    pa' reH maSuvtaHqu'. mamevQo'. maSuvtaH. ma'ov.

Love that! :P:P:P
  • Options
    hosanin#8084 hosanin Member Posts: 46 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    My answer can be summed up as follows with this snippet about the Heart of Virtue and what it represents;

Duty is the first. It is the beginning and the end of the warrior's path. Without duty a warrior becomes a slave of aimless glory and reckless self-interest. Polish this blade; sharpen it until there is nothing it cannot pierce.

The longest blade is that of Honour. It is the most difficult to master. Honour is my life, that in I will live and that in I will die. Truth, courage and forthrightness; Honour encompasses all, yet is more. The fire that illuminating the difference between an armed savage and the true warrior, and the light that will guild along the warrior's path.

All true warriors travel the same river of blood, as one is disgraced, all are disgraced, and as one finds his death in glory, so do we all find glory. A warrior would not allow another to suffer unjust disgrace or begrudge him the fruits of a well-earned victory. That is why the final blade signifies Loyalty, as we are all bound by the common journey.

-General Chang, Klingon Academy (2000)
  • Options
    majesticmsfcmajesticmsfc Member Posts: 1,401 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    sinn74 wrote: »

1. No Earth Spacedock. Worth it for that alone.

3. No Earth Spacedock.

4. The game makes no sense as a Fed. Bashing and blowing things up makes perfect sense from a Klingon perspective.

5. I've no idea why, but KDF players are better. Never failed a PUG with all KDF players. Ever.

I think this mostly covers it. I started out as a Fed, then when I got to lvl 20 I rolled a KDF. I played both characters pretty evenly. However there was too much abuse on the Federation side, people looking up the skirts of mt female characters, abused because I wasn't flying a Galaxy, Sovereign etc, abuse because I wasn't playing the game their way. I've never had any of that on the KDF side, players have been helpful, offered advice when they thought I needed it but never pushed the issue. KDF players know how to work as a team, half the Federation player base don't know how to communicate or play in a team mission like and STF etc.

To sum it up other than the points quoted above, the community are a lot nicer and friendlier, zone chat isn't full of dribble and abuse like Fed only zones are. I can play the game without some random coming up and abusing me for no apparent reason except that they can. While LOR has changed things a little, it's still mostly the same. It's the unfortunate truth, but the Klingon missions are so much fun, and the entire faction is closer to canon, than the Terran Empire, uh I mean Federation.
    Support the Game by Supporting the KDF, equality and uniqueness for all factions!
  • Options
    cidjackcidjack Member Posts: 2,017 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    For me:

1.) Getting to use the KDF ships I paid for that came with the Delta Rising pack.

2.) A contraband farmer, so I can stop buying it off the exchange at inflated prices.

3.) Playing a Female Orion with pasties for a uniform.

4.) Not having to be on ESD.

That's all I got.
    Armada: Multiplying fleet projects in need of dilithium by 13."
    95bced8038c91ec6f880d510e6fd302f366a776c4c5761e5f7931d491667a45e.jpgvia Imgflip Meme Generator
  • Options
    fsuikafsuika Member Posts: 29 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    starswordc wrote: »
    It means getting forced to be a tlhIngan Hol-spamming lunatic who gets railroaded into committing war crimes because "honor", despite playing a Lethean mercenary.

oh god yes i freaking hate that my gorn goes all ''muhhonor'' on me and hell Klingons use honor just like a certain group is using Islam a dodgy justification to conduct genocide and start pointless wars for more territories
  • Options
    willamsheridanwillamsheridan Member Posts: 1,189 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    icsairguns wrote: »
    I see allot of arguments in general that usually get flooded with fed players bashing kdf players and making excuses for this and that all while failing to objectively read and think through the issues.

For me:

its a fantasy Escape from the current Liberal real world we have to deal with. political correctness, tree hugging, takes a village, save the whales, anti war , free healthcare and all that sort of stuff.

So when ever here even in the forums i tend to stay in char as i do in game.

)

Now whats wrong with saving the planet you live on and free healthcare (thats something many people would start a Civil War over if they could get it) that bothers you so much? If you are a Klingon just remember Praxis

that said: What i love about my new Klingon Recruit is that i don´t have to be so Diplomatic. If someone annoys me i can solve that problem with a Bat'leth in a few minutes instead of having to Talk for hours or days.

The Ships are gorgeous. Fast, strong,intimidating and without useless decorations or other stuff that no one needs

I can have my own 100% Orion Crew