test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

What playing KDF side means to you?

Comments

• shpoksshpoks Member Posts: 6,967 Arc User
    not to hijack the thread but do many of you actually play as a Klingon?

5 Klingon characters out of 9 KDF going strong! :D
    I'm actually the opposite of what you described - I found it the easiest KDF species to get into, although my first KDF char was a Nausicaan. The composition of KDF specific missions is strictly intended to work with Klingons and Klingons only due to the nature of their narrative. In addition, some 70% of the KDF ships are Klingon and at Tier 6 100% are Klingon so far. Therefore, playing with a Klingon feels very natural to me. Plus, the Honor Guard uniform with the Shard Sword of Kahless looks badass epic and for my, only Klingons can pull it off. ;) And going forward to the crossfaction/shared missions, I find it easier to stomach (although it sucks pretty bad) cooperating and taking some orders from "allied" Starfleet personel as a Klingon commander in the KDF than one of my other pirate/mercenary themed characters. I have quite a few of them, but the way the game is designed it's quite more complicated to immerse myself into the environment as a Nausicaan pirate that cooperates with Starfleet or such.
    HQroeLu.jpg

5 Klingon characters out of 9 KDF going strong! :D
    I'm actually the opposite of what you described - I found it the easiest KDF species to get into, although my first KDF char was a Nausicaan. The composition of KDF specific missions is strictly intended to work with Klingons and Klingons only due to the nature of their narrative. In addition, some 70% of the KDF ships are Klingon and at Tier 6 100% are Klingon so far. Therefore, playing with a Klingon feels very natural to me. Plus, the Honor Guard uniform with the Shard Sword of Kahless looks badass epic and for my, only Klingons can pull it off. ;) And going forward to the crossfaction/shared missions, I find it easier to stomach (although it sucks pretty bad) cooperating and taking some orders from "allied" Starfleet personel as a Klingon commander in the KDF than one of my other pirate/mercenary themed characters. I have quite a few of them, but the way the game is designed it's quite more complicated to immerse myself into the environment as a Nausicaan pirate that cooperates with Starfleet or such.
    HQroeLu.jpg
  • xepthrixepthri Member Posts: 56 Arc User
    edited September 2015
    Klingon Police Force.

Who wears a grey-ish white outfit, and has a fair Orion maiden for a significant other and first officer, and other bridge officers who are white, brown, blue and blue, and a larger than usual armored Gorn.

Flies a 'mountain' and summons space eagles to his bidding.

Proudly doing the job for those Federation petaQ who clearly do not know how to clear out their illegal goods.
  • kyrrokkyrrok Member Posts: 1,352 Arc User
    Playing the outsider faction, to put it in as few words as possible.
  • delerouxdeleroux Member Posts: 478 Arc User
    Second-class citizen status.
  • trailturtletrailturtle Member, Star Trek Online Moderator Posts: 58
    Mostly having distinctly-different ship designs.
  • artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    starswordc wrote: »
    Sorry, wrong again. Section 31 is not an organization with any legal status whatsoever, in the Federation or otherwise. Their actions have nothing to do with the Federation beyond Section 31 itself paying lip service to it.

And here's the difference between the Federation and the Klingons. When Section 31 tries to exterminate the Founders, it is viewed as something horrible despite the fact the Founders have no such compunctions in return. (Remember, the Dominion was planning to glass Earth preemptively, and Earth likely wasn't the only major homeworld on their hit list.) But when the Klingons do things like murder prisoners of war in deliberately slow and painful manner, they brag about it like it was the bestest thing ever. Does that sound honorable to you? Really?

Except, as I keep pointing out, the evidence all suggests S31 is an official Federation organisation. The have a Starbase at Jupiter for goodness sake, that's like a vigilante having a nuclear submarine base just outside of Washington DC.​​
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
    artan42 wrote: »
    The have a Starbase at Jupiter for goodness sake, that's like a vigilante having a nuclear submarine base just outside of Washington DC.​​

Source please? A honest question, not sarcastic, it's been a while and maybe I have missed/forgotten something, but I have no memory of this.
    HQroeLu.jpg
  • legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,282 Arc User
    shpoks wrote: »
    The have a Starbase at Jupiter for goodness sake, that's like a vigilante having a nuclear submarine base just outside of Washington DC.

Source please? A honest question, not sarcastic, it's been a while and maybe I have missed/forgotten something, but I have no memory of this.

because it's not prime canon, it's AR canon; jupiter is where the Vengeance was constructed​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
    The have a Starbase at Jupiter for goodness sake, that's like a vigilante having a nuclear submarine base just outside of Washington DC.

It's in ID.

because it's not prime canon, it's AR canon; jupiter is where the Vengeance was constructed

Why on Earth does it matter if it's in the Prime Universe or not? The Neradas attack isn't suddenly going to make Starfleet Command think of giving a random bunch a Starbase.​​
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

• legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,282 Arc User
    edited September 2015
    Why on Earth does it matter if it's in the Prime Universe or not? The Neradas attack isn't suddenly going to make Starfleet Command think of giving a random bunch a Starbase.

it matters because it doesn't exist in the prime universe; the only station orbiting jupiter is jupiter station, and that's a research facility, not a starbase or a shipyard - and even if it does exist, it isn't under S31 control​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
    Why on Earth does it matter if it's in the Prime Universe or not? The Neradas attack isn't suddenly going to make Starfleet Command think of giving a random bunch a Starbase.

it matters because it doesn't exist in the prime universe; the only station orbiting jupiter is jupiter station, and that's a research facility, not a starbase or a shipyard - and even if it does exist, it isn't under S31 control

It still has no bearing on the legitimacy of S31. Whether the Jupiter Starbase exists in the PU or not, the point still stands that they have permission to build one if they so wish.​​

#TASforSTO

because it's not prime canon, it's AR canon; jupiter is where the Vengeance was constructed​​
    It's in ID.
    ​​

Ah well, I know about that from ST:ID, but that bears no relevance to STO. I thought the discussion was about the prime timeline/universe and I thought I was oblivious to something in terms of that.
    HQroeLu.jpg
  • gradiigradii Member Posts: 2,824 Arc User
    shadzsword wrote: »
    My answer can be summed up as follows with this snippet about the Heart of Virtue and what it represents;

Duty is the first. It is the beginning and the end of the warrior's path. Without duty a warrior becomes a slave of aimless glory and reckless self-interest. Polish this blade; sharpen it until there is nothing it cannot pierce.

The longest blade is that of Honour. It is the most difficult to master. Honour is my life, that in I will live and that in I will die. Truth, courage and forthrightness; Honour encompasses all, yet is more. The fire that illuminating the difference between an armed savage and the true warrior, and the light that will guild along the warrior's path.

All true warriors travel the same river of blood, as one is disgraced, all are disgraced, and as one finds his death in glory, so do we all find glory. A warrior would not allow another to suffer unjust disgrace or begrudge him the fruits of a well-earned victory. That is why the final blade signifies Loyalty, as we are all bound by the common journey.

-General Chang, Klingon Academy (2000)

My KDF Orion character loves that klingon philosophy stuff B)

"He shall be my finest warrior, this generic man who was forced upon me.
    Like a badass I shall make him look, and in the furnace of war I shall forge him.
    he shall be of iron will and steely sinew.
    In great armour I shall clad him and with the mightiest weapons he shall be armed.
    He will be untouched by plague or disease; no sickness shall blight him.
    He shall have such tactics, strategies and machines that no foe will best him in battle.
    He is my answer to cryptic logic, he is the Defender of my Romulan Crew.
    He is Tovan Khev... and he shall know no fear."
  • mowghtamowghta Member Posts: 60 Arc User
    Hello

What KDF meaning for me ?
    I play Klingon side only not because i do not want play federation but because i feel home on Klingon side

I Love Klingon because we have

Amazing ships design
    Amazing Klingon design and culture

We are less
    We are Hated
    We are Passionate

Klingon are more human than humans

and we are beautiful
    vAZ8lHW.png

• valenn1valenn1 Member Posts: 842 Arc User
    edited October 2015
    The ships, the far more mature and competent players on the red side, i rarely encounter a klingon who has totally no clue how to handle his/her ship (and i bet the latter one is the big main reason why so many feds hate KDF).
    Post edited by valenn1 on
    Beta, LTA, CE, Multiple preorder Versions, all Addon Packs except AoY, nearly all KDF/Rom and ~50% of all Fedships, over 25 LockboxShips, Endurer of Atari's "Year of Hell", but...
    unfortunately:

NOT LOYAL ENOUGH!!!
    valenn1 wrote: »
    The ships, the far more mature and competent players on the red side, i rarely encounter a klingon who has no totally no clue how to handle his/her ship (and i bet the latter one is the big main reason why so many feds hate KDF).

That explains a lot of what I've been seeing too much of recently.
  • goodscotchgoodscotch Member Posts: 1,680 Arc User
    I've always liked the Klingons. In TOS, the D7 was the coolest looking ship. Had the early models and the blueprints on my walls as a kid. As Star Trek continued, they fleshed-out the Klingons and made them even better. They're the Federation alternative that worked and built an empire using...other methods. Now that more is known about them as a people and they're not portrayed as being 24/7 bad guys, but also viable allies, it's really opened things up.
    klingon-bridge.jpg

valenn1 wrote: »
    The ships, the far more mature and competent players on the red side, i rarely encounter a klingon who has totally no clue how to handle his/her ship (and i bet the latter one is the big main reason why so many feds hate KDF).

Hey I play a hard to handle ship, my danged pilot raptor wont stop doing the manuvers at random times, thus wasting my ability to use it at GOOD times.

Cannon weapons need some dev love badly.

Like a badass I shall make him look, and in the furnace of war I shall forge him.
    In great armour I shall clad him and with the mightiest weapons he shall be armed.
    He shall have such tactics, strategies and machines that no foe will best him in battle.
    I ask as i have made a Klingon engie but im having a hard time getting into him. (doesn't help that im at the dividian quests).
    I have a Ferasan tact and i am considering making a sci kdf but while i do love the Ferasans i hate that they have 0 ships in the game.
    But my point is while i do love the Klingons from the series i still am finding it hard to get into actually playing as one.

I have a klingon character, but I prefer my klingon-at-heart Orion badass, General Xela Z'tira.

If Im not mistaken if you go by Cannon Star Trek...the Federation has committed more war crimes than the Klingons...Attempted Genocide of the Founders, anyone remember that?
    Sorry, wrong again. Section 31 is not an organization with any legal status whatsoever, in the Federation or otherwise. Their actions have nothing to do with the Federation beyond Section 31 itself paying lip service to it.

And here's the difference between the Federation and the Klingons. When Section 31 tries to exterminate the Founders, it is viewed as something horrible despite the fact the Founders have no such compunctions in return. (Remember, the Dominion was planning to glass Earth preemptively, and Earth likely wasn't the only major homeworld on their hit list.) But when the Klingons do things like murder prisoners of war in deliberately slow and painful manner, they brag about it like it was the bestest thing ever. Does that sound honorable to you? Really?
    Also if you watch the series the Federation destroys more cultures than the Klingons and Romulans combined...so no the Feds arent angels by any means...
    Name some of them. And considering that the Federation is the faction most of the action is focused on, wouldn't it be more likely that most of the Klingons' and Romulans' dirty deeds are just conveniently offscreen?
    As for Klingons being Warmongers...uhmm theyre a Warrior Culture, hence War in all its forms is considered the most important thing...Honor, Skill in Battle, all show a Warriors true abilities...but then if you knew anything about Warrior Culture you would know that...
    Blah blah glory blah blah honor blah blah. And a culture that actually values skill in battle would know better than to go haring off on a personal glory trip and compromising the mission. *cough* Kahless *cough*

That's the other difference between the Klingons and Starfleet. Klingons fight for glory. Starfleet fights for victory.
    As for Honorless Thugs...doesnt the Andorian Federation Captain in one of the DS9 episodes flatly state that if your planets dont help the federation, well leave you on your own when the Borg attack...that seems very honorable and diplomatic, yes?
    You must be playing a different game. Shon said that if the others didn't help the Federation fight the Borg that the Federation would fight without them, and that they'd better hope to God the Federation won without them or otherwise they'd be next on the Collective's hit list. Perhaps not a nice way to put it, but damn if it isn't the truth.
    So Serious;ly if ya want to troll, go somewhere else...Ill sit here all day and discuss the nuances of Warrior Socities and how they differ from a Democracy as represented by the federation...but if your gonna spout stuff like genocide, and honorless thugs....at least try to get some info to back it up...
    I've got plenty of data, and I've cited it repeatedly in this thread. Where's yours?

Can we PLEASE stop the faction hate? you're all pretty now, settle down.
    Seriously all 3 factions are worth playing on their own merits and don't deserve hate from anyone.

• icsairgunsicsairguns Member Posts: 1,504 Arc User
    gradii wrote: »
    Seriously all 3 factions are worth playing on their own merits and don't deserve hate from anyone.

i was pretty much with you till you posted that .

KDF ONLY PLAYER
    Klingons Only Species
    Klingon design ships.
    HATER OF CROSS FACTION CONTENT AND FEDDY BEARS
    Trophies for killing FEDS ahh those were the days. Ch'ar%20POST%20LoR.JPG

I ask as i have made a Klingon engie but im having a hard time getting into him. (doesn't help that im at the dividian quests).
    I have a Ferasan tact and i am considering making a sci kdf but while i do love the Ferasans i hate that they have 0 ships in the game.
    But my point is while i do love the Klingons from the series i still am finding it hard to get into actually playing as one.

after the barge of the dead mission chain you are not going to find allot of Klingon content from the devs you have to look outside their limited frame of money chasing, pandering to the masses ( understood its what keeps the game afloat) for any resemblance of Klingon content. Nothing after that is written for a Klingon even when they said they were trying.

• thunderfoot#5163 thunderfoot Member Posts: 4,545 Arc User

I have a klingon character, but I prefer my klingon-at-heart Orion badass, General Xela Z'tira.

Playing a KDF char can be very rewarding and very frustrating sometimes. Takes some patience and forbearance. Yeah, I know. How can any self respecting honored warrior of an ancient House with a seat on the High Council exercise these very non Klingon qualities? Gorkon, Gowron, and Martok all had these qualities. They used them when it was for the good of their House or the Empire.

The Klingon Empire and culture is based (somewhat) on the society of 16th Century Japan. This culture had sadistic butchers who lived only for battle and conquest. It also gave us the Kensai. "Kensai" rather loosely translates as "Sword Saint" A warrior whose battlefield and other accomplishments were so great, he was revered and admired by his most adamant enemies. Who made obvious attempts to follow the path the Kensai forged.

I have a Lethean Science char. Which is about as far as one can get from a 'traditional' Klingon warrior and still be a part of the KDF. I play him as someone who spends every waking moment trying to be more Klingon than Klingons. Think Spock from TOS. Without the ears. He was trying to be more Vulcan than Vulcans.

I don't RP in the accepted definition of the word within STO. I do try very hard to make the choices which reflect Klingon cultural mores. These are limited in the game. This is due to a long line of Executive Producers falling under the dubious influence of a Lead Designer who has stated far more far more often about the parts of Star Trek he does not like rather than attempting to take what is and make it better. The money thing makes up a great deal of this as well. Most people play as Starfleet. Because Starfleet are "The Good Guys". This is where most of the money is spent in development because this is where it is easiest for STO to earn income. And income and profit drive this thing and keep the electricity to the servers going.

Not hatin' on anyone or anything here. Just stating some opinions. Which may be incorrect.

A six year old boy and his starship. Living the dream.
    edited October 2015
    If Im not mistaken if you go by Cannon Star Trek...the Federation has committed more war crimes than the Klingons...Attempted Genocide of the Founders, anyone remember that?

Also if you watch the series the Federation destroys more cultures than the Klingons and Romulans combined...so no the Feds arent angels by any means...
    Name some of them. And considering that the Federation is the faction most of the action is focused on, wouldn't it be more likely that most of the Klingons' and Romulans' dirty deeds are just conveniently offscreen?
    As for Klingons being Warmongers...uhmm theyre a Warrior Culture, hence War in all its forms is considered the most important thing...Honor, Skill in Battle, all show a Warriors true abilities...but then if you knew anything about Warrior Culture you would know that...
    Blah blah glory blah blah honor blah blah. And a culture that actually values skill in battle would know better than to go haring off on a personal glory trip and compromising the mission. *cough* Kahless *cough*

That's the other difference between the Klingons and Starfleet. Klingons fight for glory. Starfleet fights for victory.
    As for Honorless Thugs...doesnt the Andorian Federation Captain in one of the DS9 episodes flatly state that if your planets dont help the federation, well leave you on your own when the Borg attack...that seems very honorable and diplomatic, yes?
    You must be playing a different game. Shon said that if the others didn't help the Federation fight the Borg that the Federation would fight without them, and that they'd better hope to God the Federation won without them or otherwise they'd be next on the Collective's hit list. Perhaps not a nice way to put it, but damn if it isn't the truth.
    So Serious;ly if ya want to troll, go somewhere else...Ill sit here all day and discuss the nuances of Warrior Socities and how they differ from a Democracy as represented by the federation...but if your gonna spout stuff like genocide, and honorless thugs....at least try to get some info to back it up...
    I've got plenty of data, and I've cited it repeatedly in this thread. Where's yours?

It is time to end the nonsense. Nonetheless the haters will continue to conveniently cherry pick certain facts that fit their disdain for Klingons, ignore all facts that don't, and they will continue to hate. Others will of course find their own reasons altogether, but those are in the minority as KDF players are in general. It would be nice if this nonsense ended, but I sure and sadly so that it won't.
    Post edited by kyrrok on
    icsairguns wrote: »

i was pretty much with you till you posted that .

KDF ONLY PLAYER
    Klingons Only Species
    Klingon design ships.
    HATER OF CROSS FACTION CONTENT AND FEDDY BEARS

Lol haters are haters whether they hate Klingons, Romulans, or Feddy bears.

edited October 2015
    It is time to end the nonsense. Nonetheless the haters will continue to conveniently cherry pick certain facts that fit their disdain for Klingons, ignore all facts that don't, and they will continue to hate. Others will of course find their own reasons altogether, but those are in the minority as KDF players are in general. It would be nice if this nonsense ended, but I sure and sadly so that it won't.

Conflict makes us STRONG.
    Strength makes us Klingon.

If Klingons stop warring with others we will tear ourselves apart we need an enemy.
    If we adapt to and become more like them, then we are no longer Klingons we are something else . dead as a species and ancient culture.

Its not hate its self preservation.

• thunderfoot#5163 thunderfoot Member Posts: 4,545 Arc User
    Attributed the wrong statement to me. I never said those things.
    A six year old boy and his starship. Living the dream.
    edited October 2015
    Attributed the wrong statement to me. I never said those things.

That would be me. How does that happen? Was he responding to your statement but quoted mine by mistake, or was he responding to mine?
    was responding to Kyrrok and quoted it but that somehow happened I guess because kyrrok had quoted thunderfoot sorry