test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Cadet to Fleet Admiral in 18 months?

parazallisparazallis Member Posts: 19 Arc User
Greetings fellow 'captains':

I can shut my mind off and go along with the flow regarding most other aspects of this game (and I'm really having fun with my new delta recruit) - but the whole notion of going from cadet to fleet admiral in 18 months is just unfathomable to me. Meanwhile, could someone remind me again how long Captain Picard was a captain? Hey, if I can make fleet admiral in 18 mos and they can make a bipolar madwoman who executed someone because she missed her friends (ahem) an admiral, no names necessary there, surely Jean Luc should be Emperor of the Federation within a few weeks.

Realistically, this game should be paced over a number of years as opposed to - well, 18 months. I don't see why it wasn't paced more accordingly to somewhat more realistic time frame.

Then again, it's no less realistic than going from cadet to captain of a starship within a matter of days - absolutely no one could ever buy that type of nonsense! ;):rolleyes:
Post edited by parazallis on

Comments

• Options
    virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Take a look at the complaining about how long things take on the forums here...

...then move to the 25th Century...

...tada. ;)
  • Options
    trek21trek21 Member Posts: 2,246 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    parazallis wrote: »

I can shut my mind off and go along with the flow regarding most other aspects of this game (and I'm really having fun with my new delta recruit) - but the whole notion of going from cadet to fleet admiral in 18 months is just unfathomable to me. Meanwhile, could someone remind me again how long Captain Picard was a captain? Hey, if I can make fleet admiral in 18 mos and they can make a bipolar madwoman who executed someone because she missed her friends (ahem) an admiral, no names necessary there, surely Jean Luc should be Emperor of the Federation within a few weeks.

Realistically, this game should be paced over a number of years as opposed to - well, 18 months. I don't see why it wasn't paced more accordingly to somewhat more realistic time frame.

Then again, it's no less realistic than going from cadet to captain of a starship within a matter of days - absolutely no one could ever buy that type of nonsense! ;):rolleyes:
    The idea is that, yes, during your normal rank climbs, it should take a lot longer

However, in both cases (moreso in STO than ST), the person in question competently proved themselves worthy of the command of a starship, and earned themselves a temporary promotion. Their superiors are nice enough to let them keep it, because STO needs that kind of talent, and ST had a good word put in by it's previous Captain.

However, what's not shown (least in STO) is that the new promotion is fragile - if they break under pressure, prove to be incapable of handling the Captaincy in the long-term, or any other reasons... then boom, they'll take it just like that (aka ST:ID). STO's player does not show any such traits, and keeps showing their talent, thus they keep their rank and continue climbing. It's still much faster than the norm, but it is a video game (some deviation from reality is to expected, least imo)
    Was named Trek17.

Been playing STO since Open Beta, and have never regarded anything as worse than 'meh', if only due to personal standards.
  • Options
    imruinedimruined Member Posts: 1,457 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Suspension of disbelief...
    The entitlement is strong in these forums...

not_funny_Q_shadows_small.jpg
  • Options
    matridunadan1matridunadan1 Member Posts: 579 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    If you paid any attention, even Quinn says it's unusual and out-of-the-ordinary for 18 months.

Actual chronology puts the time frame closer to between 11 months to 14 months, give or take a bit.

Consider: You graduate in 2409. Nobody graduates at the start of the year. Then in 2410 the Undine attacks ESD and Qo'nos.

18 months is far too generous.
  • Options
    starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    If you paid any attention, even Quinn says it's unusual and out-of-the-ordinary for 18 months.

Actual chronology puts the time frame closer to between 11 months to 14 months, give or take a bit.

Consider: You graduate in 2409. Nobody graduates at the start of the year. Then in 2410 the Undine attacks ESD and Qo'nos.

18 months is far too generous.

The 18 month thing is how far into the future your character came from. Unless the final Delta Recruit mission has you go back in time to warn your younger self, then it hasn't happened yet. So either 18 months to become a Vice Admiral or become a Fleet Admiral in less than 18 months since you need to be a Fleet Admiral to capture Sela and it is about a month or more between her capture and escape. It is doubtful for Starfleet to authorize your Delta Recruit to mess with time unless an Iconian Dyson Sphere was at their doorstep. Either way 18 months to be an Admiral is too messed up. I could understand 5 years to be Fleet Admiral not 18 months.
  • Options
    reginamala78reginamala78 Member Posts: 4,593 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Weird for Starfleet maybe, but the Romulans are desperate for anyone competent, and the Klingons, well, there's a reason the trope is called a Klingon Promotion.
  • Options
    neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I'm sorry that the Federation can't see greatness in front of them....but my KDF went to hell and back and battled the Klingon version of Satan and you're gonna tell me he should not be promoted to EMPEROR!!:mad:
    GwaoHAD.png
  • Options
    kjwashingtonkjwashington Member Posts: 2,529 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    In an ideal Star Trek game, you would start out as a Commander (and first officer) in the tutorial. Then in the tutorial, your captain dies and you get a field promotion to Captain/acting Captain. You are then a Captain for the rest of the game as you level.
    FaW%20meme_zpsbkzfjonz.jpg
    Support 90 degree arc limitation on BFaW! Save our ships from looking like flying disco balls of dumb!
  • Options
    starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    edited April 2015

Preaching to the choir. Getting given permanent command of a starship on your midshipman cruise by itself makes absolutely no sense. Going from aforementioned cadet to a full fleet admiral, i.e. the topmost grade of the entire service, is ludicrous.

18 months? Try thirty years.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • Options
    bcwhguderian1941bcwhguderian1941 Member Posts: 804 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    The OP is quite correct regarding the time frame, and promotions.

Counter measure...

Ignore it. Regardless of what the "Dialogs" state, I'm a Captain after all is done. The insignia
    I wear with the unform, and the rank I hear in the "Dialogs" is Captain. A little delusion can be
    beneficial. :)

BCW.
  • Options
    lordvalecortezlordvalecortez Member Posts: 479 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    The OP is quite correct regarding the time frame, and promotions.

Counter measure...

Ignore it. Regardless of what the "Dialogs" state, I'm a Captain after all is done. The insignia
    I where with the unform, and the rank I hear in the "Dialogs" is Captain. A little delusion can be
    beneficial. :)

BCW.

What BCW said. I'm a half-celestial immortal who rules over a cluster of planets and does the Starfleet thing as a hobby. Or is that taking it too far?
    Cheers from Antonio Valerio Cortez III, Half-Celestial Archduke of the Free Marches Confederacy.
  • Options
    thargirthargir Member Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Alternatively do what I did with my Klingon:

Let him be born in the past and ignore/adjust the content for yourself accordingly.
    I've made him canonocally a Brigadier General at 2409 when he was roughly 40 years old.

He did participate in the Klink-Fed war but not specifically any of the things that happened in the missions actually played, etc. and so forth.

Basically, I'm ignoring a lot of specifics and write my own story so things make sense. Voila. No problem at all for me ;)
    phreskophresko Member Posts: 56 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Did you see that big sign in ESD during the 5th anniversary?
  • Options
    jlebeckjlebeck Member Posts: 83 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Just to add to thargirs very good post, some things in the game just have to be ignored, play it how you want to, my characters are TNG era Captains and I just use artistic licence to get around some parts of the game. I play solo so don't take any notice of the 2410 style ships etc in social areas. the character my Delta Recruit is based on is only a Commander in the source material so he won't be going higher than that even though he'll have Admiral abilities/perks. I made one of my Boffs the Captain which explains why I'm always doing subordinate tasks. Imagination is a wonderful thing.
    The Continuing Voyages of Bridge Commander
    Captain Lee Drake - USS Sovereign
    Captain Draxon - IKS RanKuf
    Commander Torenn - IRW Soryak
    Captain Gregory MacCray - USS Geronimo
  • Options
    khan5000khan5000 Member Posts: 3,007 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    starswordc wrote: »
    Preaching to the choir. Getting given permanent command of a starship on your midshipman cruise by itself makes absolutely no sense. Going from aforementioned cadet to a full fleet admiral, i.e. the topmost grade of the entire service, is ludicrous.

18 months? Try thirty years.

Every time we level in the this game that's not normal progression. Those are field commissions. We are out here doing awesome and getting promoted for it. If we were regular run of the mill characters than yes it would take several years...but for a person who has saved the Federation over and over and over again....why not.

and it wasn't a regular midshipman cruise...it was a cruise where I not only took command from my dying Captain...fought off Klingons and a Borg invasion and saved the planet Vega...a little recognition is in order.
    Your pain runs deep.
    Let us explore it... together. Each man hides a secret pain. It must be exposed and reckoned with. It must be dragged from the darkness and forced into the light. Share your pain. Share your pain with me... and gain strength from the sharing.
  • Options
    gonzothegreat78gonzothegreat78 Member Posts: 93 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Battlefield 3 had a long term ranking system, most players never reached top rank even with years of playing. That kinda sucked, and now EA decided TRIBBLE all the battlefield fans who bought & own BF1942- BF3... (they shut the servers down on us)

I do think it should take much longer to acquire an admiral rank but not that long. It would have been nice to level as fast as we do but have the ranking system seperate and slower.
  • Options
    roadghostroadghost Member Posts: 394 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    khan5000 wrote: »
    and it wasn't a regular midshipman cruise...it was a cruise where I not only took command from my dying Captain...fought off Klingons and a Borg invasion and saved the planet Vega...a little recognition is in order.

That's what medals are for. Promoted ahead of peers, sure. Promoted to the point where you outrank the people giving you orders, not so much.

The 18 month compression thing is just weird to me, even ignoring the promotions. I mean it's taken me 5 years of my real lifetime to do 18 months of gametime? Maybe it's in their agreement with CBS that they only have a couple of years in the timeline to play with. That's the only reason I can come up with why they would do that.
  • Options
    woodwhitywoodwhity Member Posts: 2,636 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    "Such carreers are only possible in times of war" ;)
  • Options
    sonnikkusonnikku Member Posts: 77 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    This is why I don't think it's a big deal letting people fly a tier 5 Connie when players start explaining all the reasons why it wouldn't make "sense". "Ensign to Admiral in 18 months? Sure!"

It's a game people.
  • Options
    foxrockssocksfoxrockssocks Member Posts: 2,482 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Admiral ranks are still entirely meaningless. We don't have subordinates outside our ships. There is no use caring what the rank is called when it doesn't come with the attached responsibilities.

Still, the concept of a war creating quick advancement through the ranks is historically well established. When a vacancy needs filled immediately, promotions happened immediately. That there are apparently so many vacancies that need filled is either a testament to the rapid, massive expansion Starfleet is going through, or to the absolutely devastating nature of the conflicts.

Also it is a terrible Mary Sue character we have, but at least the story lines seem to be written with our characters as the only one responsible for doing all this stuff. We are the one, extraordinary individual that has exceeded every expectation, and there aren't a million other admirals as the story is concerned.

I'm far more annoyed that they continue to call female captains "sir." Janeway didn't stand for that, why should I? Fleet admiral and I still can't order someone to just call me captain?
  • Options
    nickcastletonnickcastleton Member Posts: 1,212 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Weird for Starfleet maybe, but the Romulans are desperate for anyone competent, and the Klingons, well, there's a reason the trope is called a Klingon Promotion.

yet romulans didn't go back and warn others of hobos and what taris and obesek were planning.
    0bzJyzP.gif

"It appears we have lost our sex appeal, captain."- Tuvok
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    yet romulans didn't go back and warn others of hobos and what taris and obesek were planning.
    When you think about it though, they probably can't; they're using the timeline to make small changes, such as gathering all these Iconian artifacts because it could be vital

Changing anything big though, like Hobus or the plans of Taris/Obisek, would change the very reality they know. Would Temporal Investigations allow that? Likely, no, considering they intervened already with the Enterprise-C incident
    Was named Trek17.

Been playing STO since Open Beta, and have never regarded anything as worse than 'meh', if only due to personal standards.
  • Options
    sheldonlcoopersheldonlcooper Member Posts: 4,042 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I thought this was kind of a funny in/self joke at both ourselves and the game.
    Captain Jean-Luc Picard: "We think we've come so far. Torture of heretics, burning of witches, it's all ancient history. Then - before you can blink an eye - suddenly it threatens to start all over again."

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

• Options
    flash525flash525 Member Posts: 5,441 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    In the new films Kirk went from a Cadet to a Captain in even less time. :P
    attachment.php?attachmentid=42556&d=1518094222
  • Options
    roadghostroadghost Member Posts: 394 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    flash525 wrote: »
    In the new films Kirk went from a Cadet to a Captain in even less time. :P

<Nerdrage>Nooooooo! hissy hissy! JJ evil.. blah blah... hate hate @#$%^&amp;*!!!!</Nerdrage>
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    roadghost wrote: »
    <Nerdrage>Nooooooo! hissy hissy! JJ evil.. blah blah... hate hate @#$%^&amp;*!!!!</Nerdrage>
    Hey, relax, JJ Trek is separate from old Trek, no matter what it may imply - just be glad it's brought a lot of new interest into the franchise :)
    Was named Trek17.

• Options
    zedbrightlander1zedbrightlander1 Member Posts: 14,764 Arc User
    edited April 2015

Yeah. DR officer aside, I looked upon my first "Captain/Fleet Admiral" as having long and storied career. I even went so far as to have him age by graying then whiting his hair a bit at each rank. I even added a bit of a pasta belly. :)

Still it does seem over the top to make us all Captain Kirks ( the youngest ever Star Fleet officer to make Captain ). Memory Alpha say, "In 2265, at 32 years of age, as captain, he assumed command of the Constitution-class starship USS Enterprise (NCC-1701)..." STO seems to want our Fleet Admiral to be 23 give or take a few months. I'll let it slide since my DR is supposed to be someone truly extraordinary. Someone who is going to save the future from an Iconian invasion.

Still, if my DR guy can make Fleet Admiral in 18 months, then why is Harry Kim just now becoming a Captain? He's nearly 60 if I understand his timeline in the game's setting.

My DR is an Andorian and since his hair is already white - Sure, I'll let HIM be my kid Admiral.

:: shrugs ::

Keep in mind I don't blame the devs for this. The games has limits. Our character template has to be used with an overlay with just a future uniform on it. Still, I would tried 8-9 years, not 18 months, but that's me.

Oh, well, some way or other, I'll find away to blame JJ Abrams for this. ;)
    f5cc65bc8f3b91f963e328314df7c48d.jpg
    Sig? What sig? I don't see any sig.
  • Options
    erei1erei1 Member Posts: 4,081 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I don't understand why NPCs insist to call my character "Admiral". I'm a Captain. Really...

Or you can play a KDF, and be called "Dahar Master" which is not really a rank, more a title.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    hyplhypl Member Posts: 3,719 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    sonnikku wrote: »
    It's a game people.

NO. This is a realistic Star Trek simulation, and I demand absolute immersion! Everything and everyone MUST conform to MY interpretation of Star Trek, or else! *shake fist*
  • Options
    starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    You are forgetting that this is Saint Roddenberry's delusion of the future where people have no desire for money or power and only work if they want to, and if they do want to work they can be anything they like if they ask Q nicely. :rolleyes:
    Yeah, this is the same guy who wanted to make everybody on the Enterprise an officer. It doesn't work that way.
    khan5000 wrote: »
    Every time we level in the this game that's not normal progression. Those are field commissions. We are out here doing awesome and getting promoted for it. If we were regular run of the mill characters than yes it would take several years...but for a person who has saved the Federation over and over and over again....why not.

So have them give you a Pike Medal. But you're still not getting permanent combatant command straight out of the Academy for the simple reason that they can't teach you to command people in a classroom: that takes field experience (more than one mission, even one as nuts as Vega, can provide). Promoted at a faster rate than your peers over a span of several years and being first in line for a tin-can once you hit lieutenant commander, yes. Being left in command of a 200-man cruiser as a green midshipman straight out of the Academy, no. And if you make admiral (that takes more than just skill: unfortunately it also takes connections), you're not going to be flying one ship any more, you're going to be commanding a task group and delegating the ship-handling responsibilities to, you guessed it, a captain.

Anyone wants to know what really happens when they give command of a ship to a cadet, go watch DS9: "Valiant". Hint: everybody dies.

BTW, a "field commission" is when they make an enlisted man into an officer without having him pass through officer candidate school first. ;)
    sonnikku wrote: »
    This is why I don't think it's a big deal letting people fly a tier 5 Connie when players start explaining all the reasons why it wouldn't make "sense". "Ensign to Admiral in 18 months? Sure!"

It's a game people.

So, it being a game absolves the writers of their responsibility to write a logical story? Then let's not even get started on yet another scenario where a sh*tty hundred-year-old tin-can crewed with cadets on a training cruise is somehow miraculously the only ship in range in the Federation core worlds. :rolleyes: And did they forget that you can't beam through shields?
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/