test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

TRIBBLE EV-Suits. Life support belts all the way

wotertoolwotertool Member Posts: 96 Arc User
What happened to the good old and highly advanced life support belt? Why have we never seen it again? Was it too far advanced for the other series? Why isn't something similar in STO instead of these million ofmillion of EV Suits ?

8ab4bmx26lm1.png
Post edited by wotertool on

Comments

• Options
    orion0029orion0029 Member Posts: 1,122 Bug Hunter
    edited March 2015
    That would be cool, but my guess* is that it would interfere with personal shielding devices, not to mention if you lose power on it you're dead almost instantly... :(

It would be a nice alternative to having to switch between armor/ev suit, though.

*My opinions do not reflect those of Paramount/CBS, Cryptic or any of the STO Dev team and should not be taken as hard facts.;)
  • Options
    hyplhypl Member Posts: 3,719 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    This was an idea that came up during production of The Tholian Web, however the producers decided to use EV suits. This time around, life support belts were used in TAS so the animators didn't have to draw environmental suits.
  • Options
    thutmosis85thutmosis85 Member Posts: 2,358 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Well we already have "Personal Shields" in STO ... so I always wondered if we couldn't just use those ... probably because they didn't show up in any Trek Series (afaik) ...
    Patch Notes : Resolved an Issue, where people would accidently experience Fun.
  • Options
    hfmuddhfmudd Member Posts: 881 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    In fact, I think I recall a mention in the Lore somewhere that personal shields are an outgrowth/progression of life support belt tech.
  • Options
    emacsheadroomemacsheadroom Member Posts: 994 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    A life support belt which gives you nothing but a force field to protect you from deep space or an airless planet is a monumentally stupid idea.

If the battery powering it fails, you die.

Where does it contain the oxygen needed to breathe? What happens to the carbon dioxide you exhale?

How does it provide heat if you're in the vacuum of space or on a very cold planet?

You can't relieve yourself if you're on a long duration EV mission.

It can't shield your eyes from intense light and radiation.

And is it strong enough anyway to protect the user from all hazardous forms of radiation?

It has no ability to allow you to function in a low or zero gravity environment. No magnetic boots, no maneuvering thrusters.
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    If the battery powering it fails, you die. .

Well true ... but if the EV Suits fails / has a leak you also die
    Where does it contain the oxygen needed to breathe? What happens to the carbon dioxide you exhale?

Replicator & Beaming Tech
    How does it provide heat if you're in the vacuum of space or on a very cold planet?

How does an EV Suit produce Heat ?

Seriously ? Becaue peeing in your EV Suit is so much better ....

Light = Pretty sure not every Shield has to be "see-throuh" ... ever heard of the Holodeck ...
    Radiation = Uhmm ... that's exactly what it does in the TV-Shows ...
    It has no ability to allow you to function in a low or zero gravity environment. No magnetic boots, no maneuvering thrusters.

Well I give you that ... but you could probably but on some magnetic Boots without an EV Suit ... not like they're melted together ...

=> just sayin they obviously have the Tech to make it work ...
  • Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,026 Community Moderator
    edited March 2015
    I think the first real instance of a Canon Personal Shield used by the Federation was a jury rigged force field that lasted 15 seconds created by Worf using scavenged parts.
    http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/A_Fistful_of_Datas_%28episode%29
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Well true ... but if the EV Suits fails / has a leak you also die

If a Life Support Belt fails, then all the oxygen is released immediately. If the EV Suit fails, then you have some time before all the oxygen leaks out.
    Replicator & Beaming Tech

That requires access to a ship since the energy requirements for that is too much for a battery to handle.
    How does an EV Suit produce Heat ?

The same way portable heaters produce heat, electricity running through a resistor.
    Seriously ? Becaue peeing in your EV Suit is so much better ....

Astronauts do it all the time and it is far safer than having it transported out of you.
    Light = Pretty sure not every Shield has to be "see-throuh" ... ever heard of the Holodeck ...
    Radiation = Uhmm ... that's exactly what it does in the TV-Shows ...

Possible, but materials that react to light is better for hazardous situations and don't have the same energy requirements that an opaque shield does. EV Suits have to be able to deal with the worst situations possible so wasting energy on a frivolous purpose just because it looks futuristic is idiotic.

Just because they have the means to do it, doesn't mean they should. In this case, reliable low-tech solutions are far better than unreliable high-tech solutions.
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    starkaos wrote: »
    If a Life Support Belt fails, then all the oxygen is released immediately. If the EV Suit fails, then you have some time before all the oxygen leaks out.

Depends on "how it fails" ... remember how Worf's EV Suit "failed" during ST 8 ... pretty sure a Personal Shield would have been the better choice ... if your EV Suit is severly damaged I'd rather have a "reliable" battery (pretty sure they can do "reliable batteries" in the Future) :P ...
    That requires access to a ship since the energy requirements for that is too much for a battery to handle.

Probably, but Shield Technology could probably "let through" certain stuff like CO2 ... and I haven't seen any major Oxygen-Storage on ST-EV-Suits either ... and nobody is stopping anyone to carry an Oxygen-Supply within their Shield ...
    The same way portable heaters produce heat, electricity running through a resistor.

Rhetorical Question ... since "Personal Shields" could probably do the same ...
    Astronauts do it all the time and it is far safer than having it transported out of you.

Point being ... it doesn't really matter if you're peeing in your pants or EV-Suit ...
    Just because they have the means to do it, doesn't mean they should. In this case, reliable low-tech solutions are far better than unreliable high-tech solutions.

Well it's Sci-Fi so we don't really know how reliable, power consuming & realizable it is / would be ... the only reason why it'd "more stupid" would be because it doesn't exist (and we can't really relate) ... while EV Suits do ...
  • Options
    jaguarskxjaguarskx Member Posts: 5,945 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    hypl wrote: »
    This was an idea that came up during production of The Tholian Web, however the producers decided to use EV suits. This time around, life support belts were used in TAS so the animators didn't have to draw environmental suits.

Stupid, Lazy Animators!!!!

:D
  • Options
    richardcranium63richardcranium63 Member Posts: 176 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Lore - Volume 27: Chapter 2
    In 2406, the Federation developed power cells that allowed for the creation of personal shields. Where were the power cells developed?
    Memory Alpha
    RichardCranium63
    Fed/Vulcan: T'jar Voltek Fleet: Section 31
    Fed/Andorian: Lissan Ek'Noor sh'Aqabaa Fleet: Section 31
    KDF/Cardi: K'Im Qah da Sian Fleet: Klingon Intelligence
    KDF/Reman: R'Chras Jonzor Fleet: Klingon Intelligence
  • Options
    breadandcircusesbreadandcircuses Member Posts: 2,355 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Of course, there is an alternative... using photonic technology. If we can use mobile emitters to bring BOffs on away missions or to project combat-capable (if not necessarily combat-impressive :P) starships, projecting a photonic EV suit via a mobile emitter array should be quite effective. Or use whatever portable transporter/replicator technology allows us to change costumes on the fly. ;)

Photonic technology really could be applied to both beneficial and incredibly harmful purposes... I'm still waiting for my Photonic Impaler Mine (optional Photonic Vlad Tepes available from the Lobi Crystal Consortium :eek:).
    Ym9x9Ji.png
    meimeitoo wrote: »
    I do not like Geko ether.
    iconians wrote: »
    With each passing day I wonder if I stepped into an alternate reality. The Cubs win the world series. Donald Trump is President. Britain leaves the EU. STO gets a dedicated PvP season. Engineers are "out of control" in STO.​​
  • Options
    mackbolan01mackbolan01 Member Posts: 580 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Of course, there is an alternative... using photonic technology. If we can use mobile emitters to bring BOffs on away missions or to project combat-capable (if not necessarily combat-impressive :P) starships, a projecting a photonic EV suit via a mobile emitter array should be quite effective. Or use whatever portable transporter/replicator technology allows us to change costumes on the fly. ;)

Photonic technology really could be applied to both beneficial and incredibly harmful purposes... I'm still waiting for my Photonic Impaler Mine (option Photonic Vlad Tepes available from the Lobi Crystal Consortium :eek:).

i lol'd when i read that !!!!
  • Options
    kojirohellfirekojirohellfire Member Posts: 1,606 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    A life support belt which gives you nothing but a force field to protect you from deep space or an airless planet is a monumentally stupid idea.

If the battery powering it fails, you die.

And is it strong enough anyway to protect the user from all hazardous forms of radiation?

Yeah, taking those points into account, the belt does appear to be highly impractical. So no surprise that the Federation abandoned them.
  • Options
    emacsheadroomemacsheadroom Member Posts: 994 Arc User
    edited March 2015

Starkaos rebutted you quite well, however I'd like to add:

What you're talking about are over-designed overly-complex heavily energy-dependent and risky $1000 solutions to a $10 problem.

It borders on moronic to use replicators and transporters that have to operate frequently to beam in oxygen and beam out waste constantly from a life support forcefield.

Know what's simple, elegant and efficient? This. And this. And as disgusting as they are, these. None of them cost buckets of energy to function.

A space suit will never vanish into nothingness from radiation damage or EMP or from a flat battery. It can be torn, but it can also be made of durable layered materials to reduce the risk and it can also be patched up. Life support belts are a bad idea.
  • Options
    captz1ppcaptz1pp Member Posts: 931 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    I noticed on my Gorns KDF suit when I did the mission "What's Left Behind", it now has a third button space to the right of the one for reaction thrusters. Any idea what that is?