test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Sector Space Revamp

Comments

• jorantomalakjorantomalak Member Posts: 7,133 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    tacofangs wrote: »
    Layoffs did not affect the launch of S10.

:eek: S10?....omg were getting flying pickups in season 10?....do we get a choice between standard and automatic or front ,rear or four wheel drive. :eek:
  • salacnar070890salacnar070890 Member Posts: 425 Bug Hunter
    edited March 2015
    jaturnley wrote: »
    Smirk and Trendy work for PWE, not Cryptic, so even if he was laid off it wouldn't impact development.

ah my mistake then
    Salacnar
    =/\=Priority One Armada=/\=
    32 | Introvert | ADD (W/O Hyperactivity) | He/Him | Hetro-Demisexual | 6’9” ft-in tall | Avatar by: foodcu_be | Gunpla | STO | Yu-Gi-Oh!
  • salacnar070890salacnar070890 Member Posts: 425 Bug Hunter
    edited March 2015
    shinhwa1 wrote: »
    If you are thinking about bringing up the layoffs again in this thread or any other please consider:

1) The people you are talking about are actual people with families to support who are now out of work;
    2) Those who remain behind were friends with those that were forced to leave;
    3) Those still at Cryptic may be under extra stress now wondering if there will be more layoffs and who will be included;
    4) Regardless of how effective you think they are, the people at Cryptic are good intentioned people who like to make video games and want to make the best game for you that they can;
    5) Many of those people have no choice but to read and respond in the forums because that is part of their job.

If you've ever been at a company where layoffs have happened, you know it is not a happy memory. Maybe best to stop bringing it up. Keep coming up with suggestions on how to improve the game by all means, but stop kicking the guys who are trying to deliver on all our dreams.

i am sorry for any UN-appropriat conduct i did and i wont bring it up anymore
    Salacnar
    =/\=Priority One Armada=/\=
    32 | Introvert | ADD (W/O Hyperactivity) | He/Him | Hetro-Demisexual | 6’9” ft-in tall | Avatar by: foodcu_be | Gunpla | STO | Yu-Gi-Oh!
  • trillbuffettrillbuffet Member Posts: 861 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    I'm still waiting for them to reveal something I dunno interesting to come to the game to maybe want to play it lol.

I'll just be upfront though the sector revamp should have been done years ago. As far as the game being enjoyable/playable it better be more than a rep and a couple new queues because the ship has sailed where that peaks my interest lol. Especially being so many queues always have 0 players in them. Kind of defies the purpose of them if no one is there to play them. Not to mention engineers, science ships, and bird of preys need another pass to them to kind of put them on par with the all tactical vape/spam TRIBBLE this game is built around now.
  • mhall85mhall85 Member Posts: 2,852 Arc User1
    edited March 2015
    szerontzur wrote: »
    Interesting.. I wonder if that is the result of all those layoffs, or if it was the original plan..

Either way, thanks for the heads up!

Pretty sure this was the original plan... a lot of forumers on here assumed the Recruit event would coincide with the launch of Season 10... but that was just speculation.
    d87926bd02aaa4eb12e2bb0fbc1f7061.jpg
  • lucho80lucho80 Member Posts: 6,600 Bug Hunter
    edited March 2015
    Layoffs did not affect the launch of S10.

For anyone that hasn't been to Tribble, the changes to sector space are extremely significant and still buggy. They said mid (or late) Spring, so it hasn't been delayed at all. Not sure why people assumed it was going to be released this week on Thursday when their releases are always on Tuesdays.
  • khamseenairkhamseenair Member Posts: 2,640 Bug Hunter
    edited March 2015
    No, Season 10 is not launching with the Recruitment Event.

Damn, I was kind of hoping it would be concurrent. Seems kind of silly that it's not really, as it would be the perfect time to truly appreciate the new sector space. Once you hit level cap and have all your transwarp powers unlocked you rarely need to use sector space other than for Doffing.
    lucho80 wrote: »
    For anyone that hasn't been to Tribble, the changes to sector space are extremely significant and still buggy. They said mid (or late) Spring, so it hasn't been delayed at all. Not sure why people assumed it was going to be released this week on Thursday when their releases are always on Tuesdays.

Not 'always' on Tuesdays, though it is the most common day for releases. I made a post about this last April when Season 9's launch date was announced.

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showpost.php?p=16311331&postcount=95

Personally, I was just hopeful it would be released this week because I wanted to experience it with the new Delta Recruits. Now I'm thinking I may skip Delta Recruitment so I can just make a new toon when the sector space update goes live.
    Join date is wrong, I've actually been around since STO Beta.
    True alters don't have a "main". Account wide unlocks for all unique event rewards!!
  • joelnrachjoelnrach Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Man this will be great can't wait for it to roll out on main server.
  • drogyn1701drogyn1701 Member Posts: 3,606 Media Corps
    edited March 2015
    Damn, I was kind of hoping it would be concurrent. Seems kind of silly that it's not really, as it would be the perfect time to truly appreciate the new sector space. Once you hit level cap and have all your transwarp powers unlocked you rarely need to use sector space other than for Doffing.

Not 'always' on Tuesdays, though it is the most common day for releases. I made a post about this last April when Season 9's launch date was announced.

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showpost.php?p=16311331&postcount=95

Personally, I was just hopeful it would be released this week because I wanted to experience it with the new Delta Recruits. Now I'm thinking I may skip Delta Recruitment so I can just make a new toon when the sector space update goes live.

From what I understand of the dev posts, you can make the character now, finish the tutorial and just leave it there. Level the rest of the way when you want, even after the event. As long as you've done whatever it needs to designate that character as a Delta Recruit, you should still get the character and account rewards.
    The Foundry Roundtable live Saturdays at 7:30PM EST/4:30PM PST on twitch.tv/thefoundryroundtable
  • raj011raj011 Member Posts: 987 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Will the new sector space be bigger than the old sector space? Will there be plans to add new sectors and the Gamma Quadrant?
  • josephdridgewayjosephdridgeway Member Posts: 517 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    raj011 wrote: »
    Will the new sector space be bigger than the old sector space? Will there be plans to add new sectors and the Gamma Quadrant?
    They haven't added the Gamma Quadrant (yet), but yes, the new sector space is bigger. You can log into the Tribble server now, and check it out. But, if you don't want to, a comparison view of old and new. (Click the links)

You can also check out this gif that Taco did, explaining (and showing) the changes that were made.
    Fleet Admiral Joseph D. Ridgeway
    The Armada
    Original join date: Feb 5, 2010
    Twitter: @davejl_99, & @STO_BBArmada
  • danielhunter1991danielhunter1991 Member Posts: 91 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    I can't wait until they release this, although still probably got about two months before that though.
  • zedbrightlander1zedbrightlander1 Member Posts: 14,782 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    I've a question about these interstellar highway signs...

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-B2Ul1ztYrbA/VRbZmcjPbVI/AAAAAAAAG1s/kTNWKoBX5cQ/w1512-h850-no/StreetSigns-001.jpg

Will they be going away or will they still pop-up as a visual reminder that we are passing into a new sector?
    f5cc65bc8f3b91f963e328314df7c48d.jpg
    Sig? What sig? I don't see any sig.
  • duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,980 Arc User
    edited April 2015

In the current tribble build there aren't any "new" sectors (ex. Gamma Quadrant), but that doesn't particularly matter. It feels big.
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • ashrod63ashrod63 Member Posts: 384 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    In the current tribble build there aren't any "new" sectors (ex. Gamma Quadrant), but that doesn't particularly matter. It feels big.

The Gamma Quadrant is a bit bigger than a sector. There's plenty of new sectors in the new big sector blocks (although I still think they are too small to qualify as sector blocks, apart from the Delta Quadrant which is too big).
  • robeasomrobeasom Member Posts: 1,911 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    ashrod63 wrote: »
    The Gamma Quadrant is a bit bigger than a sector. There's plenty of new sectors in the new big sector blocks (although I still think they are too small to qualify as sector blocks, apart from the Delta Quadrant which is too big).

But the Delta Quadrant should be big otherwise it wouldnt have took Voyager 7 years to get back to Earth
    NO TO ARC
    Vice Admiral Volmack ISS Thundermole
    Brigadier General Jokag IKS Gorkan
    Centurion Kares RRW Tomalak
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • aerodrive1aerodrive1 Member Posts: 25 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Will it be working at the game Server today after the update?
  • maskedmarvel1maskedmarvel1 Member Posts: 119 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    will the planets grow bigger as you fly closer to them ?
  • kriss257kriss257 Member Posts: 116 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    aerodrive1 wrote: »
    Will it be working at the game Server today after the update?

Sector space revamp is coming with Season 10. (in May?)
    10Chars and I play them ALL.

76561198045166665.png
    edited April 2015
    Will they change the visual effects of standard warp travel, quick transwarp and quantum slipstream travel? I was thinking for quantum slipstream travel you can choose the visual effect, have the original visual or have the new visual exactly how it is in the Star Trek Voyager.
  • darkharbinger1darkharbinger1 Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I don't play sto very much anymore. I sort of got bored. but this new idea of a revamped sector space has piqued my interest a lot! when exactly will it be released?
  • robeasomrobeasom Member Posts: 1,911 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I don't play sto very much anymore. I sort of got bored. but this new idea of a revamped sector space has piqued my interest a lot! when exactly will it be released?
    Season 10 as stated by others which will be when delta recruits has finished
    NO TO ARC
    Vice Admiral Volmack ISS Thundermole
    Brigadier General Jokag IKS Gorkan
    Centurion Kares RRW Tomalak
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited April 2015
    Will they change the visual effects of standard warp travel, quick transwarp and quantum slipstream travel? I was thinking for quantum slipstream travel you can choose the visual effect, have the original visual or have the new visual exactly how it is in the Star Trek Voyager.

Also will they upgrade the warp cores or have new warp cores come out?
  • themetalstickmanthemetalstickman Member Posts: 1,010 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    robeasom wrote: »
    But the Delta Quadrant should be big otherwise it wouldnt have took Voyager 7 years to get back to Earth

The Delta Quadrant that we have in-game is only a small portion of Voyager's journey.
    Og12TbC.jpg

Your father was captain of a starship for twelve minutes. He saved 800 lives, including your mother's, and yours.

I dare you to do better.
  • dmtdmt Member Posts: 194 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Probably already been answered but why was Nimbus III moved? Most sources, and currently STO show it being in the 'triangle' the area of space where the Federation, Romulan Star Empire & Klingon Empire meet.
  • pweistheworstpweistheworst Member Posts: 986 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I am EXTREMELY excited about the sector space revamp. After looking at the blog post and seeing how this will work, I'm actually more excited and happy about this than the new Iconian/Herald content!

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that we will see the Gamma quadrant sector space map at some point within the next 12 months.

We already know from both DS9 and STO that the Iconians have a foothold in the Gamma quadrant as well. After our new Alliance forces stop the Iconians and Heralds in the Alpha, Beta and Delta quadrants, we will need to stop them in the Gamma quadrant if we want them to abandon plans to control our galaxy.

That said, since the Iconians love to manipulate other races, I'm curious about how the Iconians will manipulate the Dominion and Cardassians. If the Iconians do indeed make a last-ditch effort to defeat us from the Gamma quadrant then DS9 and the Bajoran wormhole will once again be front-and-center in a massive war.
    In the immortal words of Captain Sisko: "It may not be what you believe, but that doesn't make it wrong."

Don't believe the lies in this forum. I am NOT an ARC user. I play STO on Steam or not at all.
  • transphasedtransphased Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I like the idea of the walls coming down, I believe it will add more "realism" for lack of a better term, to the game. Space is vast, and "vast" doesnt seem to fit the bill either. I also like the idea of an Iconian war; however, its been my experience that the game is far too laggy. Granted it hasnt been as laggy for me since I went and got a new gaming pc. But even still I experience lag once in a while. Which is sad considering its a new PC and all...

If you ask me, a new server needs to be added. This thing is 5 years old, surely it cant be upgraded any further. What happens if the server just one day craps the bed? Then what?

One thing I have noticed is that there must be an influx of new players because I have been seeing some Login Queues as of late too. Something I have never seen before until just recently.

Im saying the same thing hundreds of other players are saying, time for a new server. But I know that Cryptic does not really care what we think anyways. Never have, never will. They will run this game into the ground, mark my words. And when that happens, you devs will be out of a job. Cheers!
  • pweistheworstpweistheworst Member Posts: 986 Arc User
    edited April 2015

One thing I have noticed is that there must be an influx of new players because I have been seeing some Login Queues as of late too. Something I have never seen before until just recently.

Im saying the same thing hundreds of other players are saying, time for a new server. But I know that Cryptic does not really care what we think anyways. Never have, never will. They will run this game into the ground, mark my words. And when that happens, you devs will be out of a job. Cheers!

We ALWAYS get a boost in players when the devs release an update with a significant amount of new content ... and it usually starts just before the new content is released because STO players who haven't been playing for a while login to familiarize themselves with the game again prior to the new content.

I'm just crossing my fingers that we won't have hours and hours of additional server downtime over the next week ... which has happened with previous content releases.

As for a new top-of-the-line server, that would be nice. I'm not holding my breath, though.
    In the immortal words of Captain Sisko: "It may not be what you believe, but that doesn't make it wrong."

Don't believe the lies in this forum. I am NOT an ARC user. I play STO on Steam or not at all.
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,429 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Most of the people calling for new servers aren't actually having server issues, though. They're having issues with the conflict between Cogent and Level 3 - and unfortunately, that will only be improved when the FCC finally issues its Net Neutrality regulations, outlawing little tricks like Cogent's pulling.

Mind you, I do think Cryptic could do with a more decentralized server-farm situation, so one particular ISP can't hold their data hostage like this, but I doubt strongly they can afford to build multiple server farms in multiple locations, so...
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • lebtronlebtron Member Posts: 296 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I love the sector revamp, feels a lot more trekkie now.

Just one thing, maybe the question was answered already, but why has Vulcan 3 suns?