test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Cryptic North American Profits fall by 50%

dpsloss88dpsloss88 Member Posts: 765 Arc User
http://www.gamepolitics.com/2014/11/26/north-american-operations-lower-perfect-world-entertainment-profits#.VRC4tfnF_2H

All they had to do was repeat what they did with LOR, but no they had to get greedy.
Post edited by dpsloss88 on

Comments

• Options
    rosetyler51rosetyler51 Member Posts: 1,631 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    dpsloss88 wrote: »
    http://www.gamepolitics.com/2014/11/26/north-american-operations-lower-perfect-world-entertainment-profits#.VRC4tfnF_2H

All they had to do was repeat what they did with LOR, but no they had to get greedy.

Look at your thread title and then look at the URL you posted.
  • Options
    jam3s1701jam3s1701 Member Posts: 1,825 Arc User
    edited March 2015

This is old news. . .

And no they didn't just have to do what they did with LOR as that was a new faction expansion DR was not.
    JtaDmwW.png
  • Options
    reverseandereverseande Member Posts: 80 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    *checks priority one interview* lol

the rear end kissing on these forums is mind boggling.
  • Options
    davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,512 Arc User
    edited March 2015

You're taking this as proof that it's time to sing the doom song for STO.

"Perfect World did not go into detail about what particular properties are under-performing in North America, . . . Perfect World operates a number of games in the U.S. including Champions Online: Free For All, Neverwinter Nights, Perfect World, and many others."

So, from this it's pure speculation that STO is doomed. DOOMED!!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sY278K4ljWs
  • Options
    simeion1simeion1 Member Posts: 898 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Stop with the doom! Read the report, PWE was still profitable and a decline does not mean they are not making money!
    320x240.jpg
  • Options
    bobs1111bobs1111 Member Posts: 471 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    simeion1 wrote: »
    Stop with the doom! Read the report, PWE was still profitable and a decline does not mean they are not making money!

When a publicly traded company goes from 20 mil in profits to 10 mil profit in the same quarter. That is a very very big deal. That is the sort of thing that gets a stock down graded hard unless there is some very good reason for such a thing. (like a massive R&D spend or a settled lawsuit write off that could hit profit but in the long run be very good for the company)

In this case there is no excuse...

Well scratch that... the companies heads are blaming there US subsidiary's. Considering they don't even bother detailing exact numbers in there investor reports for there US holdings. This should be very disturbing for anyone holding stock. Of course if you want to say evil is as evil does... this should make the founders $ buy out offer very attractive to investors that don't want to be holding stock for a company that shows massive shrink in its profit margins.

You guys are right though old news... in fact they did just cut a bunch of jobs. The numbers would be a big part of the reason for that. When a company starts to bleed profit when they may not have been expecting it they mostly slash... and wages are almost always the largest expensive in any company.
  • Options
    millimidgetmillimidget Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    jam3s1701 wrote: »
    This is old news. . .
    Indeed.

Maybe the OP is a time traveler from the past?
    "Tolerance and apathy are the last virtues of a dying society." - Aristotle
  • Options
    simeion1simeion1 Member Posts: 898 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    bobs1111 wrote: »
    When a publicly traded company goes from 20 mil in profits to 10 mil profit in the same quarter. That is a very very big deal. That is the sort of thing that gets a stock down graded hard unless there is some very good reason for such a thing. (like a massive R&D spend or a settled lawsuit write off that could hit profit but in the long run be very good for the company)

In this case there is no excuse...

Well scratch that... the companies heads are blaming there US subsidiary's. Considering they don't even bother detailing exact numbers in there investor reports for there US holdings. This should be very disturbing for anyone holding stock. Of course if you want to say evil is as evil does... this should make the founders $ buy out offer very attractive to investors that don't want to be holding stock for a company that shows massive shrink in its profit margins.

You guys are right though old news... in fact they did just cut a bunch of jobs. The numbers would be a big part of the reason for that. When a company starts to bleed profit when they may not have been expecting it they mostly slash... and wages are almost always the largest expensive in any company.

It is not always bad news, yes they made less. It really depends on what income and profit levels were expected to be. Companies usually know if there is going to be a down period and good ones plan for it. I am not saying that PWE is doing awesome and as well as they hopped, what I am saying is that they are still profitable. It all comes down to numbers and expectations, none at which PWE is going to release.

People also need to realize mostof DRs income is not in this quarter and some of the cost is.
    320x240.jpg
  • Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,020 Community Moderator
    edited March 2015
    Expecting a single game to have that much of an impact on a company that has MANY, let alone the fact that STO is still technically a Cryptic game and not made by Perfect World...
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    aelfwin1aelfwin1 Member Posts: 2,896 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    jam3s1701 wrote: »
    This is old news. . .

While that may be, the turnaround of job slashing took it's sweet time ... .

... such a sweet time that it makes me wonder about the upcoming 1st quarter report for 2015 ...
  • Options
    ursusmorologusursusmorologus Member Posts: 5,328 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    link is for last November earnings... next report is expected in the last week of March
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    simeion1 wrote: »
    It is not always bad news, yes they made less. It really depends on what income and profit levels were expected to be. Companies usually know if there is going to be a down period and good ones plan for it. I am not saying that PWE is doing awesome and as well as they hopped, what I am saying is that they are still profitable. It all comes down to numbers and expectations, none at which PWE is going to release.

People also need to realize mostof DRs income is not in this quarter and some of the cost is.

My point was only that for publicly traded companies just being profitable isn't enough. It also depends on the industry they are in. Honestly in the entertainment industry for a company to have profits tumble that much in an industry that is expected by investors to carry a pretty nice margin is very bad. It scares off investors and gets the company downgraded by analysts (which is exactly what has happened to PWE). That makes it very hard for them to grow. (The rumors are at this point the founder will be successful in getting the company private and it will likely be relisted on the Chinese exchange where analysts and little bumps in profit don't hurt as much)
    rattler2 wrote: »
    Expecting a single game to have that much of an impact on a company that has MANY, let alone the fact that STO is still technically a Cryptic game and not made by Perfect World...

Cryptic is a wholly owned subsidiary of PWE.... and unless I am mistaken they are the only US subsidiary they hold. Which is why this line is referencing them. They also didn't buy anything new... so the wording seems to be doubly pointing at Cryptic seeing as they would be an "acquisition".. you can't call PWE US an acquisition.
    "In view of US subsidiary's recent performance and near-term business outlook that are below our expectations, we recognized acquisition-related impairments in this quarter," said CEO Robert Xiao in a statement.

What is telling to me is that PWE in there investor statements and report hardly ever mentions there US holdings... and don't break down there Margins / Sales from there overall numbers. So for them to now blame there poor performance directly on them is telling. It makes you wonder how much Cryptic has lost... because there current report also doesn't break down the numbers. Frankly its very likely that they are NOT profitable at all, as the numbers are not reported by company unit.
  • Options
    metaphorgrandemetaphorgrande Member Posts: 110 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    "However, we are still confident in the long-term prospects of our US subsidiary given its strong R&D and operational capabilities as well as promising pipeline.

I wonder if their R&D has a "Finish Now" button. HaHa
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    Then why do you continue to kiss the rear ends of anyone spouting doom?

show me a quote with me saying anything like that?

the game is and will be fine with 5000 roleplayers.Thats what is left and will alaways be.Roleplayers stay till the end.That is not doom .
  • Options
    horridpersonhorridperson Member Posts: 665 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    posted by reverseande
    the game is and will be fine with 5000 roleplayers.Thats what is left and will alaways be.Roleplayers stay till the end. That is not doom .

You are such a dedicated roleplayer. Even though though you say nasty things about it I know you will be here when they shut the lights off and tell you you can't stay here. That bit about the bartender assassin in your sig sounds very interesting. Do you have a little costume and slum around Drozana? Are you roleplaying a bartender who moonlights as an assassin or are you bragging about imaginary "killer" drinks you concoct? Just look at you go. Stop roleplaying a PvPer; It's not working.
    battlegroupad_zps8gon3ojt.jpg

• Options
    crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,113 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    You're taking this as proof that it's time to sing the doom song for STO.

"Perfect World did not go into detail about what particular properties are under-performing in North America, . . . Perfect World operates a number of games in the U.S. including Champions Online: Free For All, Neverwinter Nights, Perfect World, and many others."

So, from this it's pure speculation that STO is doomed. DOOMED!!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sY278K4ljWs

It's from November 2014 - and we've just effectively seen PWI's response - 18 positions laid off from PWE/Cryptic/Runic Games/etc. We know that at least 10 posititions came from Cryptic (9 Devs from the NeverWinter Dev team and 1 from STO); and two more were PWE staffers (Captain Smirk - former STO community manager; and a PWE PR manager who described the layoffs as 'a slaughter...'

Beyond those 12 there's no one stating where the remaining six cut positions came from. It could have been Cryptic, PWE, or one of PWE's other holdings (like Runic Games); but I doubt we'll know unless the remaining people laid off make any public comments about being cut by PWE once they have other employment.

But again, in the end; the layoffs were (most likely) PWI's response to the third quarter results that were publically disclosed back in November 2014. It will be interesting when the next Quarter results for the company are posted.
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    You are such a dedicated roleplayer. Even though though you say nasty things about it I know you will be here when they shut the lights off and tell you you can't stay here. That bit about the bartender assassin in your sig sounds very interesting. Do you have a little costume and slum around Drozana? Are you roleplaying a bartender who moonlights as an assassin or are you bragging about imaginary "killer" drinks you concoct? Just look at you go. Stop roleplaying a PvPer; It's not working.

The idea that you can't be a PvPer and a RPer all in one is a fallacy.

No I'm not talking about StarDagger style kerrat smack talk either.

If you where not aware STO is a RPvPvP game... you should see us Own on Vulcan.
  • Options
    edited March 2015

i dont even have the game installed.I just come here to watch you roleplayers fight eachother :D
  • Options
    horridpersonhorridperson Member Posts: 665 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    @bobs111

I agree; The two components actually dovetail very well. Some people (roleplayers and PvPers) tend to blame the other for whatever problems they perceive in the state of the game. Edna is one of my favorites among the PvPers who "hate" roleplayers but I know she does it because she is roleplaying.
    battlegroupad_zps8gon3ojt.jpg

• Options
    edited March 2015
    @bobs111

I agree; The two components actually dovetail very well. Some people (roleplayers and PvPers) tend to blame the other for whatever problems they perceive in the state of the game. Edna is one of my favorites among the PvPers who "hate" roleplayers but I know she does it because she is roleplaying.

lol :D

erping ftw LOL :D

wanna come on my bridge?
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    bobs1111 wrote: »
    you should see us Own on Vulcan.
    Credibility just plummeted to zero.
  • Options
    edited March 2015

oh come on my dear butthurt roleplayer dont be mad vulcan and the weirdos on it don't have much credibility either.
  • Options
    scififan78scififan78 Member Posts: 1,383 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    You also have to look at the reason a company losses profits. The company I work for usually does an annual pay increase and an annual bonus. Both are dependent of company wide profits. Last year, employees did not get the pay increase due to profits being down. Profits were down due to the costs of acquiring new contracts. Once those contracts get up and running, profits return or even increase.

Point being, didn't PWE acquire APB last year and even recently added another game?
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    oh come on my dear butthurt roleplayer dont be mad vulcan and the weirdos on it don't have much credibility either.
    I don't roleplay.

If anything, I'd be joining in the disco madness every time some RPer took something too seriously.

That's why I avoided Vulcan for days.

I was surprised and disappointed that by the time I did go there, the only spectacle to be seen were the morbid Spock characters.

If you've got the RP talent to RP-troll someone in-character, you've got my support.

But there's nothing to be proud about dropping disco balls on random players. That's the online equivalent of stealing candy from a baby. Doing it on Vulcan during that weekend was the online equivalent of shooting fish in a barrel.

As I said, nothing to be proud of.

Well, unless you've got rock-bottom self-esteem. I guess in that case you deserve an A for effort, a pat on the head, and a trophy just for showing up.
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    I don't roleplay.

If anything, I'd be joining in the disco madness every time some RPer took something too seriously.

That's why I avoided Vulcan for days.

I was surprised and disappointed that by the time I did go there, the only spectacle to be seen were the morbid Spock characters.

If you've got the RP talent to RP-troll someone in-character, you've got my support.

But there's nothing to be proud about dropping disco balls on random players. That's the online equivalent of stealing candy from a baby. Doing it on Vulcan during that weekend was the online equivalent of shooting fish in a barrel.

As I said, nothing to be proud of.

Well, unless you've got rock-bottom self-esteem. I guess in that case you deserve an A for effort, a pat on the head, and a trophy just for showing up.

*tip my hat infront of you sir*
  • Options
    edited March 2015

What do you mean... that is one of the largest open RPvPvP areas in the game right now.

Drozana and DS9 have cooled off... Cryptic needs to refresh that content. I mean you can't even get a proper covershield off in either anymore. I demand they stop nerfing the heck out of our best PvP skills.
  • Options
    ladymyajhaladymyajha Member Posts: 1,427 Arc User
    edited March 2015

The problem is that roleplayers are kind of seen in the same vein as pvpers.

PvPers are often seen as self-entitled whiners who feel the game should revolve around them and anyone who doesn't enjoy PvP is called a carebear who faces "easy mode" npcs.

This is that's just a small segment of the PvP crowd. Most PvPers I know do bother PvP and PvE content and enjoy both depending on their mood etc... but they stay quiet because they don't care.

RPers are kind of the same. No one really cares if you roleplay. But ERP... which is different from normal RP causes so much dislike and it taints the whole RP community.... when they're only a small subset. In fact more normal RPers HATE ERPers with a passion.

Also then you have the hardcore RPers who seem to feel that everything must be emmersive and such... which ruins the community as a whole.

Generally I don't know anyone who cares one way or another if someone while doing an advanced private mission or queue talks like their RPing.

But for the love of god do I need to walk into Quarks.. Drozana... Risa and listen in zone and say what two guys are doing when they're playing two female toons. That gives all RPers a name.

But then really do I need to be doing ground PvP and have someone acting like a douche and teabagging someone they just defeated either.
  • Options
    mhirtescmhirtesc Member Posts: 581 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    *checks priority one interview* lol

the rear end kissing on these forums is mind boggling.

Just about every forum has their share of sycophants and brown-nosers. No idea why they're such peons. It's not like the guys at Cryptic will give them free ships as a reward for their fielty.

And I think I'll leave this right here:

http://www.glassdoor.com/Reviews/Cryptic-Studios-Reviews-E267596.htm
  • Options
    ladymyajhaladymyajha Member Posts: 1,427 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    mhirtesc wrote: »
    Just about every forum has their share of sycophants and brown-nosers. No idea why they're such peons. It's not like the guys at Cryptic will give them free ships as a reward for their fielty.

For the same reason that people like Joss Whedon can do no wrong in some peoples eyes... or how Tom Brady is the greatest person ever... who how people literally believe that Clinton/Bush/Obama (take your pick) could do no wrong.

Or how badmouth Bieber and watch all his twitter followers suddenly wish for the person to literally die.

People are wierd.
  • Options
    westx211westx211 Member Posts: 42,215 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    mhirtesc wrote: »

Every forum also has their fare share of people who simply despise the game and want it to be shutdown. For every "White Knight"(Of which many are only fcalled that when one side is losing an argument) there is a "Black Knight"(I'm tired and that was the best analogy I could think of) who is only there to revel in the pain and suffering and basically stand on the edge of being a troll.
    Men are not punished for their sins, but by them.
This discussion has been closed.