test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

What is the point of not separating Space/Ground Traits?

usskeystoneusskeystone Member Posts: 19 Arc User
This is something I perceive as a Quality of Life issue. We have separate slots for reputation traits, why not our regular traits as well? People are having to switch traits before every queued match if they want to try a different region in order to enjoy the benefits of the traits they've earned.

Why is this necessary? Are we expected to pick a balanced selection of traits for both regions at the expense of some effectiveness? Devs, please give us separate slots for space and ground traits. We can't use them simultaneously, so we're just forced to go through, checking a bunch of boxes before every match.

At the very least, give us a loadout for our personal character like with our ship, so it's just a matter of clicking one button.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• hfmuddhfmudd Member Posts: 881 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Are we expected to pick a balanced selection of traits for both regions at the expense of some effectiveness?

IMO, yes. This is exactly the devs' intent/expectation. I await official confirmation, but look at how they now require you to put a portion of your skill points into ground.
  • rattler2rattler2 Member, Star Trek Online Moderator Posts: 58,523 Community Moderator
    edited March 2015
    I don't see a problem with balanced traits. I like ground combat as well as space. Mixes things up.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • bobtheskull99bobtheskull99 Member Posts: 706 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    while I would prefer them separate, the system as is lets players choose how they want to balance their toons....if you prefer ground, load up on ground traits only or vice versa
  • rosetyler51rosetyler51 Member Posts: 1,631 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    It is happening. Most likely not at a speed you want but it is happening.
  • imruinedimruined Member Posts: 1,457 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    At the very least, give us a loadout for our personal character like with our ship, so it's just a matter of clicking one button.

What I would like to see is a slight update to the Traits UI, that segregates Space and Ground traits, if only to make selecting one, or the other easier...

Honestly, until Cryptic get the ship loadouts working properly, I don't want them to add a Traits Loadout system... instead I'd just like existing traits to be better sorted, so as to make them more easily managed manually...
    The entitlement is strong in these forums...

not_funny_Q_shadows_small.jpg
  • salazarrazesalazarraze Member Posts: 3,794 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Be careful what you wish for. Don't TRIBBLE the rest of us over and cause them to release an update that separates ground and space traits. Doing so will probably end up being a nerf. Say 5 of each max. Remember the rep trait changes from last year?
    When you see "TRIBBLE" in my posts, it's because I manually typed "TRIBBLE" and censored myself.
  • fovrelfovrel Member Posts: 1,448 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Leave it as it is. There are four options.

1. You can be optimal in space, but then, you aren't on ground
    2. You can be optimal on ground, but then you aren't in space
    3. You can be good on ground and in space, but then you are sub-optimal in space and on ground.
    4. You can be optimal in space and on ground, but then you have to reassign your traits. Well, being the best has a price, as it seems.

Why leave it as it is. You can now mix and max as you like. If I have a race with good ground traits (racial), I emphasize on space. Anything you want. If we get what you want we most likely end up with four space and four ground traits. I don't want a nerf for your convenience.

trait - an identifying characteristic, habit or trend (wiki)
    You are not suposed to change them on the fly. Be thankful that you can.
  • deaftravis05deaftravis05 Member Posts: 4,885 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    I am getting tired of changing them.

Why not have them changed only in social zones like ESD, ds9, that sort of place,

but then give us 9 space traits and 9 ground trait slots. They dont help each other anyways.
  • thatcursedwolfthatcursedwolf Member Posts: 1,617 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Why is this necessary? Are we expected to pick a balanced selection of traits for both regions at the expense of some effectiveness? Devs, please give us separate slots for space and ground traits. We can't use them simultaneously, so we're just forced to go through, checking a bunch of boxes before every match.

Way back when you'd have to pay to change traits, so you were either balanced for ground and space or specialized for one or the other and avoided doing the one you weren't set up for.

Now with that sort of choice gone, reduced to a mere inconvenience, we effectively have everything.
    This is my Risian Corvette. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
    edited March 2015
    Way back when you'd have to pay to change traits, so you were either balanced for ground and space or specialized for one or the other and avoided doing the one you weren't set up for.

i was set up for space but I found some good ground gear for ground... missions were doable with a team that worked well together, but then once traits came out and were splittable, I found I really could dominate ground
  • lordhavelocklordhavelock Member Posts: 2,248 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    I would agree with Mudd and Rattler, I think that the expectation for most characters is that their primary traits should be loaded balanced for both Space and Ground. Those who wish to min/max certainly can alter theirs for either/or as their gameplay dictates.

Personally, for all but one of my (16) characters, I go mostly balanced, with a leaning towards space. Only my Main do I even ever bother to change the traits (For him in most play I do go with all space traits, but if I'll be going boots-on-the-ground for any length of time I will swap in three ground traits that I like).

All that being said, I'd be pleased if Cryptic were to give us a separated Space/Ground trait sections, so long as I could still use 9 in space, with ground being simply additional/separate slots.

You can find/contact me in game as @PatricianVetinari. Playing STO since Feb 2010.
  • captaintrueheartcaptaintrueheart Member Posts: 296 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    I definitely would like to see the ability to separate ground and space traits... Why do I need space traits active when I'm on the ground and vice versa?

I'm guessing they will cut down the number of active traits and then split them, making sure to annoy both those who want it left alone and those who want it changed LOL
    =/\= ================================= =/\=
    Captain Ariel Trueheart Department of Temporal Investigations
    U.S.S. Valkyrie - NCC 991701
    =/\= ================================= =/\=
  • blakes7tvseriesblakes7tvseries Member Posts: 704 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    I know people who don't want to do content; because they don't want to redo their traits.

Not a good system when it keeps people from playing content.
    download.jpg
  • uranium23567uranium23567 Member Posts: 45 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    I was about to make a new thread when I found this on top so why not

we need to have traits as a part of the loadout system (I know the current one is borked, but its getting closer to working, at least for me)

for instance, the ENG has "beam barrage" and "deft cannoneer'. I would like to have the obvious ones on my beam boats or cannon canoes.

and I simply NEVER do ground cause of having to load the traits and re-load the space ones. There are two places you can be at, SPACE and GROUND, why not separate both. It only makes sense. Of course you'll just release new lockboxes, ships, and content and money grabbing equipment before actually FIXING something that has been broken since day 1 of its implementation
  • zulisvelzulisvel Member Posts: 518 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    According to Geko's recent Trek Radio interview splitting space and ground traits is coming.
  • tehbubbalootehbubbaloo Member Posts: 2,003 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    zulisvel wrote: »
    According to Geko's recent Trek Radio interview splitting space and ground traits is coming.

right after the pvp revamp
  • reginamala78reginamala78 Member Posts: 4,593 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Funny thing will be when people get exactly what they've asked for, 4 slots for space traits and 4 slots for ground traits.
    edited March 2015
    Funny thing will be when people get exactly what they've asked for, 4 slots for space traits and 4 slots for ground traits.

probably...
  • lordhavelocklordhavelock Member Posts: 2,248 Arc User
    edited March 2015

Yeah, this is what I fear, too.

You can find/contact me in game as @PatricianVetinari. Playing STO since Feb 2010.
  • ladymyajhaladymyajha Member Posts: 1,428 Arc User
    edited March 2015

Yeah I wouldn't be surprised... either that or a 4/4 split but for 500 zen you can open up a trait box of your choice either ground or space

Come on... you have to know that Cryptic is trying to figure out a way to make money off of this trait split
  • mhall85mhall85 Member Posts: 2,852 Arc User1
    edited March 2015
    Take this for what it's worth, but it sounds like we're getting a 9/9 split... not 4/4.

Things may change, of course, but that Trek Radio interview made it sound like it was already in the works... I'd be surprised if it arrived in Season 10... but maybe 10.5 or 11.

Of course, Geko said it, so people will TRIBBLE all over it. *shrugs*
    d87926bd02aaa4eb12e2bb0fbc1f7061.jpg
  • usskeystoneusskeystone Member Posts: 19 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    I know people who don't want to do content; because they don't want to redo their traits.

Not a good system when it keeps people from playing content.

This right here. I get it that several of you are afraid of a nerf happening if the devs get wind of this, but that is not my intent either, and I had considered it... but reducing the maximum number of space traits able to be slotted would NOT go over well with the community, and any MORON should be able to see that. *stares at each Cryptic employee in turn*

;)
  • colonelchenchuancolonelchenchuan Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    This is something I perceive as a Quality of Life issue. We have separate slots for reputation traits, why not our regular traits as well? People are having to switch traits before every queued match if they want to try a different region in order to enjoy the benefits of the traits they've earned.

the worst is when there is a new episode. Those usually require both space and ground and then space again. In normal gameplay its a pain but Im not having to change it every 10 minutes.

More often than not I forget to even change it on the ground if the truth be told
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • buccaneerdtbbuccaneerdtb Member Posts: 575 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Seriously? I have a 60/40 split favoring ground and never have to change them. There are no traits that are powerful enough to make a big difference beyond the few I use.

Do you really need the efficient trait for example? How does 1-2 more power make this trait a must have? Same goes for many other traits.

People are causing their own frustrations. Funny that you need the programmers to redo the system because you lack the ability to choose a few traits.
  • historynerd1historynerd1 Member Posts: 100 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    I do wish traits were like specializations. Sometimes before going into a ground stf hitting the secondary specialization button is fast and easy. Maybe if there were preset loadouts like there are for ships. That would be cool.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Go and have a wee, the second act gets considerably weirder." -Tim Minchin
  • lucho80lucho80 Member Posts: 6,600 Bug Hunter
    edited March 2015
    Supposedly they're separated for balance when you play episodes, but not really since there's an easy workaround.

1) Slot traits belonging to start of episode (Usually space)
    2) Play space part
    3) Get to ground part and beam out
    4) Select ground traits
    5) Select continue episode and use your ground traits in ground

Repeat as needed.

Since they haven't had a single PvE that has space and ground in ages, I don't really see the point in having to choose between one set or another when the workaround above is available.
  • thatcursedwolfthatcursedwolf Member Posts: 1,617 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    lucho80 wrote: »
    Since they haven't had a single PvE that has space and ground in ages, I don't really see the point in having to choose between one set or another when the workaround above is available.

It's gentle as newb traps go, as there's no cost to change it, but someone at Cryptic loves their newb traps. Just look at the default weapons on a new ship.
    This is my Risian Corvette. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
    edited March 2015
    lucho80 wrote: »
    Supposedly they're separated for balance when you play episodes, but not really since there's an easy workaround.

1) Slot traits belonging to start of episode (Usually space)
    2) Play space part
    3) Get to ground part and beam out
    4) Select ground traits
    5) Select continue episode and use your ground traits in ground

Repeat as needed.

True... which why I think it would be a good quality of life issue... and not a major game breaking bug.

Sure would it be nice to really never have to change me traits around until I got a new one... sure it would be great... but it's not game breaking.... but it would still be nice.

My only concern is that Cryptic decides to use this as an excuse to nerf the trait system... in which case I would seriously prefer for it to be left alone and just use your work around (which is what I do now )

But if they can work it so I have a full trait system for space and another for ground which requires me not to have to do a work around to make it work... then I'm all for it.
  • jodarkriderjodarkrider Member Posts: 2,097 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Please do NOT force me to put things into space if I want to be purely ground specc'd. This has already happened with reputation traits, and I don't like it one bit. Kills the diversity & efficiency, if this happens.
    [10:20] Your Lunge deals 4798 (2580) Physical Damage(Critical) to Tosk of Borg.

Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator
    "bIghojchugh DaneH, Dumev pagh. bIghojqangbe'chugh, DuQaHlaH pagh."
    "Learn lots. Don't judge. Laugh for no reason. Be nice. Seek happiness." ~Day[9] 
    "Your fun isn't wrong." ~LaughingTrendy

Find me on Twitterverse - @jodarkrider

edited March 2015
    Please do NOT force me to put things into space if I want to be purely ground specc'd. This has already happened with reputation traits, and I don't like it one bit. Kills the diversity & efficiency, if this happens.

In a perfect world they give us the ability to slot 9 space traits and 9 ground traits which automatically and only apply when you're on a given space/ground map. So basically if you want to be pure ground spec you simply could be AND still add in 9 space traits for those times you PvE and just want a little boost.... or you could leave them empty... and have no impact at all on your ground traits.

That's in a perfect world... but in a Perfect World... that would be too easy.