test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

What is the point of not separating Space/Ground Traits?

2»

Comments

• jodarkriderjodarkrider Member Posts: 2,097 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    ladymyajha wrote: »
    In a perfect world they give us the ability to slot 9 space traits and 9 ground traits which automatically and only apply when you're on a given space/ground map. So basically if you want to be pure ground spec you simply could be AND still add in 9 space traits for those times you PvE and just want a little boost.... or you could leave them empty... and have no impact at all on your ground traits.

That's in a perfect world... but in a Perfect World... that would be too easy.
    Let's just say, that if we get 4/4 split because of some lazy people, I'll be pissed. Ground is literally one thing, which keeps me playing, because it's different from space & frankly... if they ruin this, I won't be happy camper.

I understand people want it separate for 'QoL', but getting 4/4 is not QoL, it's nerf, and decreasing the ability for me or anyone else to choose how we want to play our characters even further. I was really disappointed when they did this with the reputation traits. We don't need this for character-traits as well.
    [10:20] Your Lunge deals 4798 (2580) Physical Damage(Critical) to Tosk of Borg.

Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator
    "bIghojchugh DaneH, Dumev pagh. bIghojqangbe'chugh, DuQaHlaH pagh."
    "Learn lots. Don't judge. Laugh for no reason. Be nice. Seek happiness." ~Day[9] 
    "Your fun isn't wrong." ~LaughingTrendy

Find me on Twitterverse - @jodarkrider

• ladymyajhaladymyajha Member Posts: 1,428 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Let's just say, that if we get 4/4 split because of some lazy people, I'll be pissed. Ground is literally one thing, which keeps me playing, because it's different from space & frankly... if they ruin this, I won't be happy camper.

I understand people want it separate for 'QoL', but getting 4/4 is not QoL, it's nerf, and decreasing the ability for me or anyone else to choose how we want to play our characters even further. I was really disappointed when they did this with the reputation traits. We don't need this for character-traits as well.

I fully agree if this is going to lead to a nerf... any nerf... or a paygate or a grind gate then you just need to leave it as is and I'll deal with work arounds and such. I fully agree.

If this ends up being a 9/9 split with zero impact on me except for the two minutes it'll take for me to slot up a ground trait line... then I'm all for it... for QoL purposes.

Anything other then a FREE 9/9 split is not worth the QoL.
  • alex284alex284 Member Posts: 366 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Don't change it. If they do, they'll probably reduce the number we can have (5 space and 5 in ground! Now you have more than before! Um....) and the thing will be buggy and unload traits and you won't know until halfway through a queue that it did that.

Or both. Actually, that's the most likely outcome.

The traits are one of the few things that stay in their place when you assign them. Don't mess with success.
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    I think there is no good reason. They either:
    1) Didn't think of it, since they were focused only on the reputation system.
    2) Didn't have time to come up and implement a good solution for it yet.

I think a 100 % Ground / Space separation for all skills and trait is the only sound design, especially since most challenging content is exclusively space or exclusively ground. Making a "balnaced" choice makes no sense because you will always gimp yourself compared to someone that makes an exclusive choice ,and will never actually be in a situation where you would have an advantage.

But if they make the Ground/Space Trait split, they will have to decide:
    1) How many slots do people start with?
    2) How many slots do they add over levels, and at what levels?

Going by the precedent of Reputation Traits, they could decide to give us ultimately less trait slots in space and ground each then the current totla, which means many people that already made an exclusive choice will feel "nerfed". I hope that won't dissuade them from such a change. Less slots means choices become more important.

But what I would also hope would be more ground traits for the differnent species. Some have thematically cool stuff like the Lethean Mental Attack, or the Vulcan Mind Meld or Nerve Grip.

And speaking of these "thematically cool" traits - they are also active abilities, and I kinda wish they would create more active traits and create a few dedicated "active ground trait" slots.

I think it's always bad if you put "active" and "passive" abilities in the same type of mechanical "slot".
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • thatcursedwolfthatcursedwolf Member Posts: 1,617 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    But what I would also hope would be more ground traits for the differnent species. Some have thematically cool stuff like the Lethean Mental Attack, or the Vulcan Mind Meld or Nerve Grip.

And speaking of these "thematically cool" traits - they are also active abilities, and I kinda wish they would create more active traits and create a few dedicated "active ground trait" slots.

I think it's always bad if you put "active" and "passive" abilities in the same type of mechanical "slot".

I would like to see racial active traits get their own baked in slots (like they used to be). Once they became something you had to choose against other traits most of them didn't stack up to your other options, through either long cooldowns or limited effects, or both.

Roll-your-own aliens would likely get the short end of the stick in that they wouldn't gain anything by it whereas Caitians, for example, wouldn't need to spend a slot on their Pounce ability.
    This is my Risian Corvette. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
  • jellico1jellico1 Member Posts: 2,719
    edited March 2015
    I am tired of switching traits already

Fix it
    Jellico....Engineer ground.....Da'val Romulan space Sci
    Saphire.. Science ground......Ko'el Romulan space Tac
    Leva........Tactical ground.....Koj Romulan space Eng

JJ-Verse will never be Canon or considered Lore...It will always be JJ-Verse