What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Fraud Prevention System (Probation)

Comments

• Options
    overkilltbpoverkilltbp Member Posts: 68 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Now see that's unfortunate,,,, since I've been back in the game I have not had a single problem buying anything but I never used steam and the funny thing is arc will link up to paypal, but theres like 3 compianies all fighting for money. 4 even you got Arc Steam Cryptic PWE, I dont even know whos in charge for STO really. And that's why people are getting the run around.

I tell you what though whenever I don't get a product recieved, I'm going to my bank about it. Or paypal, least they will help.
  • Options
    tinemunetinemune Member Posts: 24 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I dislike the probation stuff, it really is quite obnoxious.. about the only suggestion I can really give is, when you buy Zen, check your dil exchange Sell screen, don't buy anything from the C-store until you can sell Dilithium.

That ensures that you're not on the probation TRIBBLE, and your stuff wont be bound to account when purchased.
  • Options
    mikoto8472mikoto8472 Member Posts: 607 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I'll note that I've made a fair number of ZEN purchases via Arc uplinked to Paypal and never had a problem. Never been put on probation.

I don't use STEAM.

Just putting that out there as further evidence that it does seem to be a STEAM related issue.
  • Options
    aedayaeday Member Posts: 63 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Yet another victim here.

I do use Steam.

I bought a Guardian cruiser last weeksih, apparently that must have lit me up for a probation. Today I tried to get some Zen to trade in for a Dilithium top up to finish upgrading components on one of my toons' ship & I noticed that I couldn't sell any of it.

Over the threeish years I've played this game I've CERTAINLY not been unwilling to buy Zen. Lifetime holder for about five months now.. ect ect. Not happy, Jan.
    I could understand this being a thing for shiny new accounts but shouldn't holding a LTS take us off the list? If we're that dedicated to the game I kinda think we'd know if we'd been TRIBBLE or anything.
    "I'm a science officer. It's my job to have a better idea."
  • Options
    wraithshadow13wraithshadow13 Member Posts: 1,728 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Fraud prevention yet the game still running lol

teehee :D

This was too true not to repost
  • Options
    trekerrobtrekerrob Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Well I haven't purchased Zen from Arc for a several months. I like the look of the new ships so I tried today, and it seems they don't want to take my money?

I've tried 2 card which have successfully purchased Zen from this site previously, and now they fail saying there was a problem charging my card. I am aware there are plenty of funds in both cards.

So it would seem that Arc and Cryptic don't want us to pay them anymore?

For the second time this year I've shut down the game in frustration and am debating whether to come back or not. First was the Anniversary missions problems and lag (sever for an AU player) and now this.

C'mon guys, this is ridiculous. You're the ones loosing here.

Corsorolin.

Subscribed For: 4 years 6 months 10 days / Subscribed Status: Active.
  • Options
    trekerrobtrekerrob Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    trekerrob wrote: »
    Well I haven't purchased Zen from Arc for a several months. I like the look of the new ships so I tried today, and it seems they don't want to take my money?

Seems like this has resolved itself overnight. Thanks.

Corsorolin.

Subscribed For: 4 years 6 months 10 days / Subscribed Status: Active.
  • Options
    somebobsomebob Member Posts: 556 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    aeday wrote: »
    Yet another victim here.

I do use Steam.

NEVER USE STEAM.

PWE HATES PEOPLE WHO USE STEAM to buy Zen. This is why they trigger the 'fraud prevention system'. ALWAYS. This is because Steam keeps a lot of that money and doesn't give it to PWE.

Nothing more needs to be said.
    Owner and Lead Moderator for the Primus Database. Post your Hero today!
    Razira's Primus Database Page
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    tinemunetinemune Member Posts: 24 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    somebob wrote: »
    NEVER USE STEAM.

PWE HATES PEOPLE WHO USE STEAM to buy Zen. This is why they trigger the 'fraud prevention system'. ALWAYS. This is because Steam keeps a lot of that money and doesn't give it to PWE.

Nothing more needs to be said.
    Always use steam, ALWAYS, after you get your Zen, wait until you can sell on the dil exchange, that means probation is lifted.

Show PWE that you won't be pushed around by their underhanded tactics with this false fraud alert garbage. It's not gonna kill you to wait a couple days until you don't get the bound to account stuff.
  • Options
    bhawthornebhawthorne Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    The intent of the system and how PWE is using it is completely different. Thanks PWE for setting up a system where it defrauds it's own customers by not allowing them to sell Zen purchased master keys on the Exchange even after 8 emails to customer service in which they finally just closed out the complaint without proper resolution. Horrid customer service going on here.
  • Options
    nickcastletonnickcastleton Member Posts: 1,212 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    bhawthorne wrote: »
    The intent of the system and how PWE is using it is completely different. Thanks PWE for setting up a system where it defrauds it's own customers by not allowing them to sell Zen purchased master keys on the Exchange even after 8 emails to customer service in which they finally just closed out the complaint without proper resolution. Horrid customer service going on here.

Tell me about it, been here a while made my first purchase in 2012 got 3 tier 6 ships dozens of tier 5 a lifer yet apparently that's not enough to guarantee that i like to buy things.

Now im stuck with 2 benthan ships that i dont want or need, i olny opened the boxes for the Lobi and planned to sell the TRIBBLE on the exchange, didn't expect to get a tier 6 ship ne mind 2.

So now im stuck with them and all i get is sorry, how about unlocking them considering they arnt normally bound to account in their box form how can you not have a way to unbound them?
    0bzJyzP.gif

"It appears we have lost our sex appeal, captain."- Tuvok
  • Options
    outcry3outcry3 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    whoever came up with this system needs to be thrown in a sack and beaten with a muddy stick, are ubisoft suddenly running sto?

after having messed around with sto for a while I finally decided I was putting enough time into the game to justify a purchase from the zen store, I decided to buy enough zen for a t6 ship with enough left over to get some master keys I could put on the exchange, hoping to make enough to buy some kit to put on it.

no warning was given when i bought the zen however a warning was given when I tried to use the zen to purchase items, I mean they have to do it in that order or you might not buy the zen to begin with right?

summary, a person who has done NOTHING wrong being made to feel like a thief for wanting to give you his money? handy tip when buying items from third party sites carrys less risk than buying items in a legit way the peoppl in charge done ****ed it up.
  • Options
    argent007argent007 Member Posts: 220 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    That's DRM for you. They think it protects their stuff, but really all it does is alienate the honest playerbase.

Cryptic, I'm sure you meant well putting this system into play, but you need to revert this.....now.

...and the highly contagious nature of it as well. I'm afraid i won't be able to take advantage of the bugship promo because of this.

I buy my zen through either steam or prepaid's from my local brick-and-mortar's, always have, always will. I can't buy my zen through Skrill, seeing as we have a particular mutual distrust for each other right now. They demand more information from me such as a billing statement or such to verify i am who i am, and i don't trust a payment processor that operates like that.

Okay? I use steam for my zen handling. A bunch of people do. Get over yourselves.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    stark2kstark2k Member Posts: 1,467 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    I am having the same issues with my accounts, yes I have several accounts which I purchased with real money, since I have kids who play STO. Now when I purchase ZEN through Steam, almost all my accounts get a probation period, binding all my purchases. This is unacceptable, especially when all my accounts have a long standing positive purchase history.

So what happens if I used the same credit card on my account, and all three of my sons accounts?
    StarTrekIronMan.jpg
  • Options
    spacehermitspacehermit Member Posts: 355 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Perhaps if someone were to raise the issue with their credit card company? Or with Steam? I am sure PWE must be in violation of their merchant agreement at least, if not indeed in breach of several laws. They are not providing merchandise that is as advertised.
  • Options
    cantrill1cantrill1 Member Posts: 47 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    worffan101 wrote: »
    This seems sensible, and not too much of a hassle.

Welcome to the forums, BTW. We're a little insane and sometimes rage-fueled, but otherwise not terrible.

It doesnt seem sensible to me at all, someone buys keys to sell for EC on the exchange but un beknown to them they have been flagged, the keys become Bound to them so they cant sell them, also the contents of any boxes they open become bound so cant be sold on the exchange
  • Options
    pwstolemynamepwstolemyname Member Posts: 1,417 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Hello STO Players and Community.

On Thursday October 30, Star Trek Online enabled a new fraud prevention system. This system has been in place on another Cryptic game, Neverwinter, since July, where it has worked effectively. It has been enabled on STO due to increases in credit card fraud over the past several months.

It is very reasonable to take these precautions. I provide customer service within the credit card industry and a large part of my job is helping card holders who wish to dispute transactions on their account.

A merchant really has no way to know if a transaction is legitimate or fraudulent. They can receive their money and believe everything is fine and then a few weeks later the transaction can be reversed on them because the card holder decided to dispute the charge.

Current and past users that have an established purchase history with us are less likely to have this ever trigger on their accounts so the majority of you should not see any difference when you purchase Zen and items.

I am sorry but this statement is contradictory to my experience. I am I lifetime subscriber, with collectors edition, standard edition and digital deluxe edition keys associated with my account. The Delta Pack and many transactions on my account.

I do not care to provide more merchants then necessary with my card details. I made some purchases through Atari in times past and since the switch to Perfect World I have made my purchases through steam.

I am the very definition of 'Past user with an established purchase history' and yet this system has flagged my account. Of course the statement that such users are less likely to have this trigger shows that some other factor plays a part.

From my experience and that of others it seems that at least one of these factors is 'Steam User'.

Now I can understand from my experience with the industry that this system is probably designed to flag credit cards over debit cards. And I can assume that steam dose not pass on information regarding how funds are processed through it, thus I can assume that this fraud prevention system may always assume the worst regarding transactions made through steam.

However some one with many years of transaction history and no record of dispute should be provided exception to this default stance. I am disappointed that the FPS assumes negative intent.
  • Options
    lamontjb3lamontjb3 Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    I am a little frustrated about this. The message when purchasing items using zen when your account is "flagged" states "This restriction also applies to items acquired from purchased packs and from lockboxes opened using purchased keys. This is only a temporary restriction while we verify your payment details"

That statement refers to a single restriction and says it is temporary. When requesting for GM support, they refer me to this page and the message here is:
    "Purchased items that become bound-to-account will permanently remain account bound, so you need to make this choice before purchasing."

Those two messages are not the same. One statement (the one you see when buying items) says the restriction is temporary and the other says permanent.

I have contacted GMs and requested they un bound all my items. If not, my credit card company is the next phone call. Its in their hands.
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    I have just opened a ticket with Steam, explaining that Steam users are being targeted by Arcgames. The message is very clear when purchasing these items (which cost me $10 just to see the message so I can take a screenshot)... and that is, that the restriction is temporary.

Arcgames, please unbound everyone's items after your 10-day "probation" or stop this whole thing altogether. Feel free to Reference ticket number 150308-001557 and resolve my issue if you want this steam ticket closed.

And for those who feel this is BS and wants to reference the "flagged" message, you can find it at http://cloud-4.steamusercontent.com/ugc/710779492540792460/15A123E8F8C5D9A26E5A654F71149606A77AAF71/

Feel free to use this and open your own Steam ticket and request a refund since Arcgames doesn't want to address this issue...

Thanks.
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    STO Community,

Be careful when asking for help with this situation and situations like this. You may feel that you have been cheated since the items you purchased using hard earned money has become permanently bound. However, asking for assistance and suggesting improvements has resulted in lead STO GM threatening to "result in disciplinary action against your account".

In my correspondence with the GMs, I pointed out the following issues:
    1) If the intent of flagging a user's account was to weed out fraudulent purchases, why accept the money in the first place? Taking the user's money and providing a defective item does not solve any of the issues.
    2) The warning message is deceiving in its text since it refers to the restriction being temporary. However there is nothing temporary about the bounding of the items you receive. My recommendation was to change the wording to not confuse the user.
    3) The warning message does not require an acknowledgment from the actual user. This is important since a user will easily by-pass this message when purchasing a large amount of R&D boxes. Mind you, the company advertised and provided incentives to buy these boxes, so when a user successfully purchases say 25 of these, and proceeds to buy another 25 and half way the account gets flagged, its very easy to miss the message. Assuming the message was even their 100% of all flagged time.
    4) While requesting to unbound every single item from these boxes would be unrealistic (due to the fact that we are talking about a lot of items here), I requested compensation in the result of R&D boxes (not the ones purchased with zen that gives a chance at a Jem Hadar ship, I asked for several of the resulting boxes so that my R&D components are not bound to me so I can trade with fleet mates)

Additionally, a previous GM stated that if I needed further assistance, to please email them. I requested for that email address about 3 times now, once after each time I received a vague , incomplete response that feels auto-generated.

What was the response given? To stop pressing the issue or else my account will be banned. So who knows how many more entry's I may have left, but beware of buying items at the Zen store and beware highlighting issues that negatively affect your gameplay.
  • Options
    tfomegatfomega Member Posts: 812 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    I won't be buying anything anymore.. they took away google wallet, and I don't trust their other methods as I have had to cancel credit/debit cards in the past.

I AM NOT A FAN OF PWE!!!!
    MEMBER SINCE JANUARY 2010
  • Options
    elevenaceelevenace Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Hello everyone I'm a 3rd year business administration student. I play sto when I have the time and always find myself coming back to play. Recently I got a new computer and decided to download star trek again through steam... I recently brought zen through steam and now how the probation on my account. I see through all this bull the company is giving and quite frankly in my opinion if you guys don't change this I assure you you will not only loose my business but a lot of dedicated players business too. Instead of spending my money on another game I spend it on your product and put me in a corner. This game not only carries Arc name behind it but most importantly Star Treks name and I hope you guys can see the bigger picture. Please change this before it's too late...
  • Options
    gabrielinwestmingabrielinwestmin Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    tfomega wrote: »
    I won't be buying anything anymore.. they took away google wallet, and I don't trust their other methods as I have had to cancel credit/debit cards in the past.

I am with you on that one. google checkout has been the most secure service I have ever used.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Greywolf Taskforce - Officer of the Fleet
  • Options
    niemo4niemo4 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    I didn't realize what this was at first, and I went ahead and opened a few boxes. I received a couple of R&D mini-packs, opened them and now I have 2 stacks of(at least) half of the items in my R&D tab. If I use any of the items for crafting a new item, or improving an existing item, the item created or improved is then permanently bound to my account forever.

If you're going to call it "probation", than it should "end" at some point as "probations" by definition eventually do.

I've spent hundreds of dollars in the past in the C-Store, the fact that I was flagged by this broken system is insulting. I've been playing since a few days after this game released, and have never done anything to warrant this kind of treatment.

You can't treat everyone like a criminal because you've had a few bad eggs.

I won't be spending a dime until I have confirmation that this very broken system is retired.
  • Options
    mcmichealsmcmicheals Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    niemo4 wrote: »
    I didn't realize what this was at first, and I went ahead and opened a few boxes. I received a couple of R&D mini-packs, opened them and now I have 2 stacks of(at least) half of the items in my R&D tab. If I use any of the items for crafting a new item, or improving an existing item, the item created or improved is then permanently bound to my account forever.

If you're going to call it "probation", than it should "end" at some point as "probations" by definition eventually do.

I've spent hundreds of dollars in the past in the C-Store, the fact that I was flagged by this broken system is insulting. I've been playing since a few days after this game released, and have never done anything to warrant this kind of treatment.

You can't treat everyone like a criminal because you've had a few bad eggs.

I won't be spending a dime until I have confirmation that this very broken system is retired.

YOU AND ME BOTH... BEEN BUYING AND IN GAME SINCE SEASON 1, SENT TICKET AS WELL..THAT WAS THURSDAY, GOT REPLY VIA EMAIL AND HERE WE ARE MONDAY, STILL ON PROBATION! (I am yelling just to see if it falls on a deaf ear) I use a verified account via paypal, same account for years through arc,whatever ..i am sure i have paid enough for someone paycheck a few times over.. FIX IT! I understand fraud and we all need protection from that but at least expedite this, We are not in the 80's where it took 2 weeks to verify a check! :eek:

PS: Don't tell me you can't do anything about it (via response email) I am 100% sure SOMEBODY can!
    captains-log.jpg
  • Options
    ztrl1ztrl1 Member Posts: 66 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    The fact that this system does not inform you of the probation period BEFORE you buy anything is absolute TRIBBLE!

My account was just flagged because of "recent activity" even though I have been buying things on this game for at least the past 4 years...

This is a great way to alienate your customers Cryptic/PWE!!!!!

I am highly considering never making another purchase again.

Also just so everyone knows, from the canned responses I'm getting from PWE support:
    Thank you for contacting us.

We do understand your concern and we would like to let you know that the probation system is in place to protect our players from unauthorized purchase activity on their accounts.

Due to your recent Zen purchase, this account has been placed on temporary probation and you will be unable to use the Dilithium exchange, or purchase unbound Zen Market items until the probation period ends. We apologize for the inconvenience, but Customer Service cannot remove or alter the duration of this probation.

For more information, please go the STO forums.
    http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1286371

Let us know if you have any further question or concern.

We would like to inform you that the probation is system generated so we won't be able to provide an exact timeframe.The probationary period will last until the validity of your real money payments is verified and once you have an established purchase history with us, the probation is unlikely to trigger again. We would also like to let you know that Customer Service won't be able to remove or alter the duration of this probation.

So from what I am understanding here, the support team has absolutely no information to provide you in order to get this resolved and instead will always direct you to this forum thread. It also seems you need to make a series of purchases in order for them to consider you a valid or trusted buyer.

To the STO Dev's: I am sorry but I will no longer be able to support you guys with my purchases. It is regrettable as I do enjoy this game very much, but this is unacceptable.
    Some people buy Tier 6 ships and expect to win. Other people buy Tier 6 ships and are Tier 6 pilots.
    ~Tear
  • Options
    nasaannasaan Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    This probation TRIBBLE is just that, TRIBBLE!

It's a load of bollox that some half wit came up with, and all the wrong people are getting flagged.

I've been in this game since closed beta, and only now, after how many feckin' years you decided to flag me based on "recent activity" and now you have all my zen and dil locked up until your magical probation period ends.

It's disgraceful. Plain and simple.

And your GM responses to people inquiries about this problem are TRIBBLE poor generic responses.

You've got no problems taking our money yet you turn around and slap us in the face with these idiotic probation periods.

Good job on alienating paying customers by penalizing them for spending money on your product.

At the rate this game is going, your disgraceful lack of PR and Customer support is gonna run it straight into the ground, just like you did with Neverwinter.

The only saving grace you have at this point... There is no other Star Trek MMO around and people love the Star Trek IP... It's just too bad a terrible company has a hold of what could be a great game.
    Hello,

Thank you for contacting us.

We understand that you are seeing an error message when trying to purchaseitem from the Zen Store in-game. Due to your recent Zen purchase, this account has been placed on temporary probation and you will be unable to use the Dilithium exchange, or purchase unbound Zen Market items until the probation period ends. We apologize for the inconvenience, but Customer Service cannot remove or alter the duration of this probation.

Should you require further assistance, please do not hesitate to email us.

We appreciate your patience and understanding.

Regards,
    Eypreel
    Game Master
    Perfect World Entertainment
    http://support.arcgames.com/

WAKE UP CRYPTIC! Perfect World is ruining your game.
  • Options
    mzknowitallmzknowitall Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    I triggered fraud prevention by purchasing zen through steam wallet which I had no idea steam was not a part of perfect world yet i am able to log into Neverwinter through steam, isn't there something perfect world can do to block access to games through steam to avoid this problem
  • Options
    zodarious1zodarious1 Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Ok so using Steam to purchase zen triggers auto probation, now I have been giving the same bs copy and paste responce from a gm many times. I am fed up with the way they treat us as common criminals. I will not stand for this anymore if my account is banned then so be it but you cannot keep treating people like this so to everyone stop buying TRIBBLE from them let them understand we are not going to take there TRIBBLE anymore!!!!!
  • Options
    rambo2o12rambo2o12 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Hello ,

We apologize for the inconvenience, but be aware that this probationary period is temporary and is meant to be protection against potential fraudulent purchases . Thank you for understanding.

Regards,
    Retribution
    Game Master
    Perfect World Entertainment

SERIOUSLY!?!

I would like to ask how is the fraud prevention program identifying everyone as a potential scam/credit card fraud legal? I mean if I buy something from you with a credit card, your program automatically flags me as fraudulent with no evidence, no warning, and absolutely no just cause. I expect that this sort of blatant breaking of the law would have been reported by someone and yet it still remains, how do you justify this program automatically identifying everyone that plays STO or any other of the games offered by Arc Games that buys into the game to further their progress in the game as a person committing fraud when infact they are not committing fraud and therefore they sit idly by while they get a severe headache from the speed at which your program slaps the "temporary probation sticker" on their account, and frankly I don't care if it is temporary not everyone that buys in-game money should be put on probationary trade restrictions just the people that are doing the scamming/fraud-not us honest, loyal players, explain to me how this is legal?