test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

New players can't post here, despite description

124»

Comments

• daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    LOL, blind rage at reasonable but still annoying red-tape will do that to you. But the thought process was sound.

1. Can't do a thing in Game.
    2. Contact game support.
    3. Told to ask fans in online forum there to support fans.
    4. Locked out of forum as a new guy for SPAM concerns.
    5. Google reasons one can't access forum.
    6. Find thread that sounds vaguely informative about the lock out.
    7. Agree with sentiment then scan responses and see that someone else was resourceful enough to fire off a quick question and get a response so they can continue their game.
    8. Repeat number 7.
    9. You responded with the answer (and you rock by the way) thank you I will give that a shot!

See logical. ^_^

Heh.. ok ya got me there...

If ya need any other help, feel free to PM me @DaveyNY.
    It might take me awhile to get back to ya, but I will help if I can.

:cool:
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • firstmagelordfirstmagelord Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    daveyny wrote: »
    Heh.. ok ya got me there...

If ya need any other help, feel free to PM me @DaveyNY.
    It might take me awhile to get back to ya, but I will help if I can.

:cool:

Thank you again partner, much appreciated. I'm usually pretty self-sufficient at this sort of thing but when you get down into the weeds of this game some things are simply just not intuitive. Long story short. I won't bother you again if I get this one thing to work. ^_^

Again thank you for taking the time to type at me! :D
  • gaulltgaullt Member Posts: 35 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    mistake reply to 3 year old message- just ignore me......
    The Universe is a messy place, You are born a mess. Sustaining life usually involves cleaning up messes. You die and usually are a mess then too. All of these messes usually involve some blood- get over it.
  • gaulltgaullt Member Posts: 35 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Gah! so is quote replying to a 3 year old message
    sory.
    The Universe is a messy place, You are born a mess. Sustaining life usually involves cleaning up messes. You die and usually are a mess then too. All of these messes usually involve some blood- get over it.
  • swatopswatop Member Posts: 566 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    well, im here for years, LTS, pumped alot of money into this game and still can not start new threads.

submitted several tickets about this issue in the past 4 months... was told that the community managers would take care of this problem and contact me... but this does not seem to happen... so.....
  • katyusha454katyusha454 Member Posts: 21 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    As this is your first visit to the new forums, it considers you new :) Your join date shows June 2013. The "can't start a new thread until after a specified amount of time" is in place to stop spam bots -- it's a pretty short wait, and since we've put it in place, there has been virtually no spam. We're happy to remove this for you as you're clearly not a spam bot (and I just have -- log out and back in. I also made sure everyone else in this thread can make threads). Anyone else that's in this same boat who reads this message at a later date can send me a forum PM and I can manually remove the restriction.

Thanks for understanding!

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

Sorry for not reading the whole thread, so I don't know if there's an explanation somewhere else, but I can't PM you. Apparently I need to be friends with you first or something. But I would really like to be able to make a thread because I'm looking for advice on a purchase I want to make during the current ship sale.
  • canavetcanavet Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    But I would really like to be able to make a thread because I'm looking for advice on a purchase I want to make during the current ship sale.

I'm in the same boat.... It is absolutely ridiculous that the admin has not given a way to allow new people to ask questions. I was checking this game out with the intent of cancelling my sub with another mmo and transferring it... but I am seriously thinking that will be a bad idea. If this doesn't get resolved in the next day or so, then STO can kiss my future money good-bye. And I sure as heck won't recommend the game.
  • katyusha454katyusha454 Member Posts: 21 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    canavet wrote: »
    I'm in the same boat.... It is absolutely ridiculous that the admin has not given a way to allow new people to ask questions. I was checking this game out with the intent of cancelling my sub with another mmo and transferring it... but I am seriously thinking that will be a bad idea. If this doesn't get resolved in the next day or so, then STO can kiss my future money good-bye. And I sure as heck won't recommend the game.

I think the "you must wait x days before making new threads" rule wouldn't be so bad if the wait time was based on your original account creation instead of the first time you happened to log into the forum. I've been playing the game for weeks but I only recently felt the need to post here.
  • daveev66daveev66 Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Hi

how long before you can create threads ? I have had a STO account long enough to get a character to 50, stop playing for a couple of months and now return. I only opened a forum account about a week ago as i am not a great forum user. However I do a have question.

I like to get things right from a roleplaying perspective and it annoys me if the crews on my ships are at odds with my character - if i buy a cross faction ship what crew do I see on it ? my main factions ? the actual design race ie elachi, Voth ? how about on the KDF Orion and Gorn ships - what crew do I get - the usual mixed KLingon Empire or Orion/Gorn specific ?

Thanks
  • jerilynjerilyn Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    I fully understand the need to minimize spam but they need to do something.

I am a new player and the learning curve on this game is like a cliff! I can't post to zone to ask questions (for good reason obviously). I can't make new threads. Essentially for the new 4 days I am stuck and clueless.

There needs to be somewhere for newbies to ask questions and get help. This game is not accessible enough to throw someone at it for days with no resources. Surely they can afford to have 1 place for newb questions that is monitored by a human to keep the spam down.
  • rezkingrezking Member Posts: 1,109 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    jerilyn wrote: »
    I fully understand the need to minimize spam but they need to do something.

I am a new player and the learning curve on this game is like a cliff! I can't post to zone to ask questions (for good reason obviously). I can't make new threads. Essentially for the new 4 days I am stuck and clueless.

There needs to be somewhere for newbies to ask questions and get help. This game is not accessible enough to throw someone at it for days with no resources. Surely they can afford to have 1 place for newb questions that is monitored by a human to keep the spam down.

First, just read the threads here.
    If every n00b made a thread about every n00b question, it will be buried under a pile of similar posts before someone gets around to answering.

If you use the facebook, I suggest starting a search for STO groups.
    From there, join a very n00b friendly Fleet so someone can hold your hand in-game.
    NO to ARC
    RIP KDF and PvP 2014-07-17 Season 9.5 - Death by Dev
  • mavolio121mavolio121 Member Posts: 25 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    I believe after 4 days you can start making your own threads.

My actual join date (I subbed) was 2/28.

This is a correct approximation. I also read in another post (sorry can't recall a link for it) that it may also have to do with how many times you have replied to other threads started. Not sure how it all works myself (Zen and/or Sub purchase, waiting grace period, etc.) but I just noticed today that I can now start my own threads actually. Add a couple more comments to your name [new peoples] and give it a couple/few more days.:)
  • evo4ever64evo4ever64 Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    As this is your first visit to the new forums, it considers you new :) Your join date shows June 2013. The "can't start a new thread until after a specified amount of time" is in place to stop spam bots -- it's a pretty short wait, and since we've put it in place, there has been virtually no spam. We're happy to remove this for you as you're clearly not a spam bot (and I just have -- log out and back in. I also made sure everyone else in this thread can make threads). Anyone else that's in this same boat who reads this message at a later date can send me a forum PM and I can manually remove the restriction.

Thanks for understanding!

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

Hi pwebranflakes could you remove my restriction too? I've been playing this game for a while now at level 57. I've got so many important questions / problems to ask but I cannot ask. is so fustrating. Cheers

PS: I tried sending u a PM but it said ur not accepting them.
  • daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    evo4ever64 wrote: »
    Hi pwebranflakes could you remove my restriction too? I've been playing this game for a while now at level 57. I've got so many important questions / problems to ask but I cannot ask. is so fustrating. Cheers

PS: I tried sending u a PM but it said ur not accepting them.

Ummm... BranFlakes no longer works here at PWE/Cryptic....

Try this fellow...

Trevor "CaptainSmirk" | Community Manager
    Follow us on Twitter: @trekonlinegame | "Like" us on Facebook
    Follow me on Twitter: @PWECaptainSmirk
    If you wish to speak to someone on the community team, please file a "Forums and Website" support ticket here.
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif