luckychuckyluckychucky Member Posts: 53 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Tokyo Zombie
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] ... IST MIR ZU SCHWER ... UND ICH WILL NICHT
  • Options
    taylor1701dtaylor1701d Member Posts: 3,099 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    mjarbar wrote: »
    For me anything with Megan Fox in it, she only gets the part so they can have her bend over and have the film audience perv at her behind.

Anything Michael Bay is bad (got a massive plot hole - put an explosion in it!) - but for some reason I still end up watching them.

I liked Godzilla '98, yes that's right, I LIKED GODZILLA '98

I tried to get a choice as to what film I hate the most but I just couldn't decide so it has to be between U-571 that rewrote history and in my view has absolutely no redeeming qualities or the abysmal 2003 remake of The Italian Job, a film that never needed remaking to begin with, was turned into a complete waste of time and effort, by the numbers, crud pile. The only reason I think it got made was because some studio exec owed a favour to someone and didn't want his knee caps broken!

All that said if you want to see some good movies take a look at:

Falling Down (1993) Michael Douglas and Robert Duvall
    The Conversation (1974) Gene Hackman
    L.A. Confidential (1997) Kevin Spacy, Russel Crowe
    The Usual Suspects (1995) Kevin Spacy, Gabrial Byrne

You didn't like U-571...hmmm I found it quite good (not as good as Hunt for Red October mind you)
    But first time I saw the depthcharge scene I was on the edge of my seat.
    I remember it being a fairly good movie, certainly not a candidate for worst ever ? Well maybe you thought so (maybe you noticed something I didn't). I just don't remember it being that bad. Well not bad to the point one would consider it worst ever. :)
    [img][/img]OD5urLn.jpg
  • Options
    empireofsteveempireofsteve Member Posts: 665 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Stripper Zombies. For adults but it just TERRIBLE.
    NERF CANNONS - THEY NEED A 50% NERF
    CRUISERS NEED A 206% HULL BUFF
  • Options
    grandnaguszek1grandnaguszek1 Member Posts: 2,188 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Just out of curiosity, what was so bad about U-571?
    say-star-wars-is-better.jpg
  • Options
    tehbubbalootehbubbaloo Member Posts: 2,003 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    U-571 was, at its core, a case of 'stolen valour' on an international scale. basically, the americans retconned history by ascribing the actions of the royal navy unto themselves. it pretty much shat upon the memory of those brave WW2 mariners that actually took the risks and delivered the goods.
  • Options
    mjarbarmjarbar Member Posts: 2,084 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    U-571 was, at its core, a case of 'stolen valour' on an international scale. basically, the americans retconned history by ascribing the actions of the royal navy unto themselves. it pretty much shat upon the memory of those brave WW2 mariners that actually took the risks and delivered the goods.

Also added to the fact that they claimed the Germans machine gunned survivors of sinkings which was never the case

http://www.uboat.net/articles/55.html

The whole film was poorly researched, badly written and took gross liberties with the facts. As I said in my view the film has no redeeming qualites what-so-ever.

As one reviewer on IMDB said it was American Militry TRIBBLE, and had pretty much the same effect as saying that Iwo Jima was fought and won by anybody other that the US Marines who gave there lives in that place!
    hZbIdbh.jpg
    THANK YOU FOUNDRY - YOUR CONTENT GAVE ME MANY HAPPY HOURS
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    rahmkota19rahmkota19 Member Posts: 1,929 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Killer Clowns from Outer Space.

Sometimes, me and my little brother on a late Saturday night zap towards the Syfy channel to ridicule the stupid movie of the week. Bash about its sfx, the horrible acting, writing, music, anything really, and we have some fun doing so. For example movies like Simbad and the Minotaur, in which they try to make us believe a set of bed sheets are supposed to be a cave interior. Those movies are so bad you can laugh at them.

KCfOS however...... in theory it has everything to ridicule it: a flying circus tent, clowns abducting people to wrap them in cotton candy, incredible dumb murders. But it was not even funny. It was but one single thing: enough to make you loose faith in film making.
  • Options
    thunderfoot#5163 thunderfoot Member Posts: 4,540 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    The Watchmen.

None of the characters were entertaining. The storyline was very confusing. When they got to the scene where the Blue Naked Guy split himself in two so he could have twice as much sex with the same woman, I walked out. Only time I have ever done this.
    A six year old boy and his starship. Living the dream.
  • Options
    ashstorm1ashstorm1 Member Posts: 679 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    rahmkota19 wrote: »
    Killer Clowns from Outer Space.

Sometimes, me and my little brother on a late Saturday night zap towards the Syfy channel to ridicule the stupid movie of the week. Bash about its sfx, the horrible acting, writing, music, anything really, and we have some fun doing so. For example movies like Simbad and the Minotaur, in which they try to make us believe a set of bed sheets are supposed to be a cave interior. Those movies are so bad you can laugh at them.

KCfOS however...... in theory it has everything to ridicule it: a flying circus tent, clowns abducting people to wrap them in cotton candy, incredible dumb murders. But it was not even funny. It was but one single thing: enough to make you loose faith in film making.

Hmm,i beg to disagree ;) Killer Klowns from Outer Space is still sort of a cult movie. Also, it is not supposed to be a comedy... It is directed like a proper horror film, and the only 'comical' aspect of it is the huge (and volontary) discrepancy caused by the fact that the monsters are... clown-like homicidal aliens.

I will admit, the acting is corny at best, yet it is also (at least in my opinion), part of the movie's spirit. All in all, Killer Klowns from Outer Space is indeed also an hommage to all those old sci-fi B-productions of the 50's - 60's era, with their cheesy actors, cardboard flying saucers and bug-eyed alien monsters.
  • Options
    mjarbarmjarbar Member Posts: 2,084 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    The Watchmen.

None of the characters were entertaining. The storyline was very confusing. When they got to the scene where the Blue Naked Guy split himself in two so he could have twice as much sex with the same woman, I walked out. Only time I have ever done this.

Yea, I'll give you this one, it was one of those film stories that would have worked better as a mini series or film trilogy instead of what they made, a classic example of saying you have only one film to cram as much of the story, character development, and lore of the whole Watchmen saga as you can while keeping the fans happy and the type of person who doesn't know about The Watchmen entertained and engaged as well.

As a result most films that try this fail badly on all counts with the exception that some can have good effects and a decent film score/soundtrack.
    hZbIdbh.jpg
    THANK YOU FOUNDRY - YOUR CONTENT GAVE ME MANY HAPPY HOURS
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    snowpig74snowpig74 Member Posts: 267 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Cloverfield - This movie makes you enjoy reality for its stable, non-shaking graphics.
  • Options
    berginsbergins Member Posts: 3,453 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Which brings me on to Predator 2, that film was so bad that as I recall the director was so ashamed of it he used a well known alias in the credits used by directors who do not want to be associated with the film publically.
    Ok, have to think this is a (perhaps well deserved) dig at Stephen Hopkins. He was, apparently, caught on Live TV directing this film, so there was no denying it. According to IMDB:
    Rub
    "Logic is a little tweeting bird chirping in a meadow. Logic is a wreath of pretty flowers which smell BAD." - Spock
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    bergins wrote: »
    Ok, have to think this is a (perhaps well deserved) dig at Stephen Hopkins. He was, apparently, caught on Live TV directing this film, so there was no denying it. According to IMDB:
    I find this suspicious given that Predator 2 was released in 1990. The original Predator was released in 1987.

Yet there was a televised interview related to it in 1975??? or is this some weird glitch where it used the year the Good morning America series started instead of the date the interview occurred?

BTW, we are talking about the movie that made around double it's budget at the box office right? And later was nominated for 5 Academy awards and winning one?
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    kuntelkuntel Member Posts: 16,484 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Eragon.

One of the most horrendous, despicable machinations Hollywood has produced. It mangled the story, characters, progression of plot, and general Tolkien-esque feeling. It was truly a great loss to cinema.
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    kuntel wrote: »
    Eragon.

One of the most horrendous, despicable machinations Hollywood has produced. It mangled the story, characters, progression of plot, and general Tolkien-esque feeling. It was truly a great loss to cinema.
    I thought the original book did that? :P
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    worffan101worffan101 Member Posts: 9,518 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    I thought the original book did that? :P

The original book was a decent story that crossed LOTR and Star Wars and did...OK. Passable.

The sequels went into overblown SW Prequel trilogy territory and had a lot of Urple Prose.

The movie was a gibbering abomination.
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    worffan101 wrote: »
    The original book was a decent story that crossed LOTR and Star Wars and did...OK. Passable.

The sequels went into overblown SW Prequel trilogy territory and had a lot of Urple Prose.

The movie was a gibbering abomination.

A. I can see your opinion, but don't see were you get SW. Might need to re-read it.

B. I may have rose-coloured lenses on the sequels, but... okay.

C. You know my opinion.
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    A. I can see your opinion, but don't see were you get SW. Might need to re-read it.

B. I may have rose-coloured lenses on the sequels, but... okay.

C. You know my opinion.

Straight white cis male Human farm boy loses family, meets new wise mentor figure, gets cool powers and cool weapon, defeats creepy dude in menacing outfit?

How is that not Star Wars?
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    Straight white cis male Human farm boy loses family, meets new wise mentor figure, gets cool powers and cool weapon, defeats creepy dude in menacing outfit?

Dragons?:P

But, I can see it, yeah. But to be truthful, was that not the typical start of any fantasy setting? Type a virtuous hero starts out small, catalyst happens, he gets lost on adventure. Gets mentor and companions and OP super something and defeats root cause of catalyst.
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    Dragons?:P

But, I can see it, yeah. But to be truthful, was that not the typical start of any fantasy setting? Type a virtuous hero starts out small, catalyst happens, he gets lost on adventure. Gets mentor and companions and OP super something and defeats root cause of catalyst.

Yeah, but does it always have to be a cis white male farm boy?

How about a PTSD-afflicted slave and former child soldier, abused young noblewoman who kills one of her mentors in self-defense, or a legendary general who's afraid that he's lost his touch? Why can't one of THEM learn to believe in themselves?

Why not a street-raised girl from an oppressed underclass?

Seriously, he could've gone with so many other options. And he went with a Luke Skywalker clone.

Not saying that it's bad (book 1 at least, books 2 and 3 plod on and book 4 is an abomination), just.......so-so.
  • Options
    starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    edited March 2015

That seems like a cliche rather than being inspired by Star Wars. Star Wars seems to be heavily inspired by Arthurian Legend.
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    starkaos wrote: »
    That seems like a cliche rather than being inspired by Star Wars. Star Wars seems to be heavily inspired by Arthurian Legend.

Still, there's so many other ways to do it.

How about a Native American-analogue whose people were exterminated learning to believe in himself?

What about a bisexual Inuit girl?

Why not a 4'9 TRIBBLE black Marine?

WHY the f*cking straight cis white male farm boys?

I mean, Rand al'Thor was about as far as I was willing to believe it. And that was only because the Wheel of Time was truly great in many other departments.
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    Still, there's so many other ways to do it.

How about a Native American-analogue whose people were exterminated learning to believe in himself?

What about a bisexual Inuit girl?

Why not a 4'9 TRIBBLE black Marine?

WHY the f*cking straight cis white male farm boys?

I mean, Rand al'Thor was about as far as I was willing to believe it. And that was only because the Wheel of Time was truly great in many other departments.

I assume it is so that the main stereotype of the intended reader or viewer can relate to the protagonist. So the intended audience is white male teenagers that have no control over their life and are stuck in a monotonous routine or in other words, white male high school students.
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    I assume it is so that the main stereotype of the intended reader or viewer can relate to the protagonist. So the intended audience is white male teenagers that have no control over their life and are stuck in a monotonous routine or in other words, white male high school students.

That was basically me for 4 years.

I still preferred non-SWM protagonists.
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    That was basically me for 4 years.

I still preferred non-SWM protagonists.

But if you have a Bisexual Inuit girl as the protagonist in a story aimed at white male teenagers, then how can they identify with the protagonist? People relate more easily to characters that have similar traits to themselves.
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    But if you have a Bisexual Inuit girl as the protagonist in a story aimed at white male teenagers, then how can they identify with the protagonist? People relate more easily to characters that have similar traits to themselves.

I didn't care that Korra was an Inuit analogue and bi, I just cared that she had girl problems, jerk problems, and kicked a lot of butt.

Same way as I'm not fourth in-line to the throne of a racist fantasy culture on a windswept ball of rock on the TRIBBLE$ end of space, but I can still identify with Renarin Kholin.

Same way as I'm not a Native American-analogue with telekinetic control over gases, and I still like and identify with Aang.

And so are a LOT of other people.

Why do you think Brandon Sanderson sells so well? Why do you think Legend of Korra and Avatar: The Last Airbender were so popular??
  • Options
    trek21trek21 Member Posts: 2,246 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    I'd say The Last Airbender as well - that being said, I don't let it's mere existence count against my enjoyment of the actual series, or as a dump on it just because of how bad it was.

I count them as entirely separate things

Edit: could also have Dragonball: Evolution tied with it.
    Was named Trek17.

Been playing STO since Open Beta, and have never regarded anything as worse than 'meh', if only due to personal standards.