Install Arc
Options

protocol for vigil on Vulcan

13»

Comments

• Options
    gamer940gamer940 Member Posts: 168 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I am merely stating the code of conduct for any decent and respectful/respectable human being.

Anything that should not be done when attending someone's actual funeral should not be done at the sorts of memorials done yesterday either.
  • Options
    gulberatgulberat Member Posts: 5,505 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Antoniosalieri, I'd point out that when you attend a wake, you get a say in the matter. The wake doesn't follow you to other venues and as I understand it, people are not condemned for not attending nor is there a requirement that it be the only form of observance. A wake can be a great thing, if you freely choose to go. The reason why people are upset about what happened is that the party basically followed them and forced them to attend.

Christian Gaming Community Fleets--Faith, Fun, and Fellowship! See the website and PM for more. :-)
    Proudly F2P.  Signature image by gulberat. Avatar image by balsavor.deviantart.com.
  • Options
    roadghostroadghost Member Posts: 394 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    gamer940 wrote: »
    I am merely stating the code of conduct for any decent and respectful/respectable human being.

Anything that should not be done when attending someone's actual funeral should not be done at the sorts of memorials done yesterday either.

gulberat wrote: »
    Antoniosalieri, I'd point out that when you attend a wake, you get a say in the matter. The wake doesn't follow you to other venues and as I understand it, people are not condemned for not attending nor is there a requirement that it be the only form of observance. A wake can be a great thing, if you freely choose to go. The reason why people are upset about what happened is that the party basically followed them and forced them to attend.

You guys do realized we are talking about a video game here? People partying were not running into a house of worship disrupting people's lives. Their cartoon characters bounced around on screens in different patterns than were expected. Not even close to the same thing.

But if you want to go with the RP thing and say some scripted rules should apply, then shouldn't all those people displaying emotion in any form on Vulcan be called out as well? The vigil itself was out of place on Vulcan as a display of emotion, wasn't it?
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    roadghost wrote: »
    People partying were not running into a house of worship disrupting people's lives.

Their actions were the online equivalent of just such crass behavior.
  • Options
    roadghostroadghost Member Posts: 394 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Their actions were the online equivalent of just such crass behavior.

I'm sorry, this is no 'online equivalent'. IT'S A VIDEO GAME. IT'S NOT REAL.

What was real was that several thousand people got together to remember Leonard Nimoy. I matters not one iota if my cartoon person was dancing or kneeling. Just that I got to share time chatting with people about the man.
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    I doubt that any of them would have engaged in any sort of similar behavior in the real world.

That it occurred in a game does not change the disrespectful nature of said behavior. In fact, it makes it even worse because they knew it was disrespectful and did so anyway because of the inherent anonymity of online interaction.
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    roadghost wrote: »
    You guys do realized we are talking about a video game here? People partying were not running into a house of worship disrupting people's lives. Their cartoon characters bounced around on screens in different patterns than were expected. Not even close to the same thing.

But if you want to go with the RP thing and say some scripted rules should apply, then shouldn't all those people displaying emotion in any form on Vulcan be called out as well? The vigil itself was out of place on Vulcan as a display of emotion, wasn't it?

I never said it was the same as actually being in an IRL house of worship--I was using antoniosalieri's comparison with a wake to explain why people have been upset at being dragged into something that they did not want to participate in.

Christian Gaming Community Fleets--Faith, Fun, and Fellowship! See the website and PM for more. :-)
    Proudly F2P.  Signature image by gulberat. Avatar image by balsavor.deviantart.com.
  • Options
    antoniosalieriantoniosalieri Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2015

So a good chunk of people in the world are indecent by your account.

When my grandfather passed last year, I sat at his bed for a week. The last day he was with us, we had a nice conversation where he told me he had a great time here and felt people would remember him with joy and that brought him peace. Not long after he passed we had a great Celebration for him. The reverend made jokes, his family and friends told stories. I took the time to bake some of his favorite sweet things, we drank more then a little bit of his favorite spirits. Did we shed a few tears of course, did we share a lot of laughs yes. Had a great time.

Now I do understand Mr. Nimoy was raised in Judaism, I assume he was practicing. As such my personal beliefs would have no place at anything official for him. Of course neither would standing around a fountine. As a public figure we can all morn him as we wish. There was nothing official anywhere, as such we where all free to share the moment with others as we saw fit. I did celebrate his passing with others and we didn't feel we where being disrespectful to the man in anyway.
    gulberat wrote: »

I (and most everyone I observed at the party) didn't follow anyone. I was chased out of one zone by ONE jerk in a zone filled with 49 other people that had no issues and where in most cases having nice conversations joining in some of the fun. As many have pointed out the only name calling and language being tossed around ect was coming from people demanding we stand like statues ect.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Dignity and an empty sack is worth the sack.
  • Options
    sheldonlcoopersheldonlcooper Member Posts: 4,042 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    One other possibility of dealing with these trolls is to imagine you are trying to practice kolinahr and they are testing you. This has the added benefit of teaching you to ignore them.
    Captain Jean-Luc Picard: "We think we've come so far. Torture of heretics, burning of witches, it's all ancient history. Then - before you can blink an eye - suddenly it threatens to start all over again."

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

• Options
    antoniosalieriantoniosalieri Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I doubt that any of them would have engaged in any sort of similar behavior in the real world.

That it occurred in a game does not change the disrespectful nature of said behavior. In fact, it makes it even worse because they knew it was disrespectful and did so anyway because of the inherent anonymity of online interaction.

This is NOT true at all. Yes in the real real world, I 100% attend wakes for family.

Have you never seen public gatherings for other public people. You have never seen anyone playing a musicians music at a gathering to remember them? Its pretty normal to remember the best parts of someones life. In the case of Mr. Nimoy his life wasn't about the one character he played 40+ years ago. He had a life filled with joy. He had a silly music career, he wrote sappy and often cute and funny poetry. He had a few very hard hitting photography series, that where very celebratory of the human condition. Anyone that has watched his interviews and listen to the mans words and watched his actions in life could see he was witty and funny with a zest for life.

As I have said many times... his passing in his 80s, after some illness that gave him a chance to say good bye not only to his Family but also us in the public. With a lifetime of good works and memories left behind... is something to admire praise and rejoice.

May his next life be as full, his body of works will indeed LLAP. So smile and stop being so serious.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Dignity and an empty sack is worth the sack.
  • Options
    cidjackcidjack Member Posts: 2,017 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    One other possibility of dealing with these trolls is to imagine you are trying to practice kolinahr and they are testing you. This has the added benefit of teaching you to ignore them.

Here is a short clip of Spock practicing Kolinahr
    Armada: Multiplying fleet projects in need of dilithium by 13."
    95bced8038c91ec6f880d510e6fd302f366a776c4c5761e5f7931d491667a45e.jpgvia Imgflip Meme Generator
  • Options
    sharxtremesharxtreme Member Posts: 850 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    This is just too funny and so illogical.
    "Here, follow my rules or else.." lol
  • Options
    medalionemissarymedalionemissary Member Posts: 612 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    It's one thing if a person believes in honoring the Dead is by celebrating with a happy party... remember the TNG episode where Geordi and Ensign Ro were phase cloaked and people thought they were dead... Data had this exact dilemma of finding an appropriate mood

As long as it is not disrespectful to ruin people's honoring, if they choose to stand somber or celebrate and reminisce good memories, leave em be

Clearly the Starfleet Dental and Zombie Spock were trolling, because they were trying to provoke reactions out of people, not honor
    Deep Space Nine in HD, make it so!
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    I (and most everyone I observed at the party) didn't follow anyone. I was chased out of one zone by ONE jerk in a zone filled with 49 other people that had no issues and where in most cases having nice conversations joining in some of the fun. As many have pointed out the only name calling and language being tossed around ect was coming from people demanding we stand like statues ect.

I am glad that you personally did not follow anyone. Unfortunately some did engage in that sort of behavior of hounding people from instance to instance. Just because I had a nullifier and said little in open zone chat does not mean I didn't observe it over three or four instances even when we would move into a zone that was quiet, and be intentionally followed. As to the name calling, language, and disrespect, I saw some extremely ugly things coming from the "partiers." Just because it may not have a swear word in it doesn't make the sentiments I saw any better.

• Options
    edited February 2015
    As long as it is not disrespectful to ruin people's honoring, if they choose to stand somber or celebrate and reminisce good memories, leave em be

And this is the problem in it's entirety. Nobody can ruin your honoring someone and you can't impose your personal set of rules on other people.
    This is not your personal private event where you can dictate what people should think, nor (mis)qualify their actions comparing them to your own set of values.

And I also think that trying to privatize such event and sense of personal entitlement is very wrong, but it's your choice to think that only your standard is the correct one and i can agree that it might be correct one for You.

Cultural diversity and unity despite of differences is the essence of Star Trek.

P.S. of course, trolls will jump on such weaknesses and flammability.
  • Options
    js26568js26568 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Honestly OP, you're sounding ridiculous. You can't tell other players what to do.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Free Tibet!
  • Options
    kimonykimony Member Posts: 571 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    One should not concern themselves about organizing others to mourn in a particular way. You'll only be disapointed. Don't let the actions of others upset you, Spock would say that is illogical.
    He would also say its illogical to expect everyone act a certain way.

This is not about others and how they "should or should not act" in this time of saddness.
    Do what YOU must do to say goodbye, never let anyone elses actions hamper your spirit.

Beautiful!

:)

#SaucersForever #TrianglesCutDeep #TeamBeta #ShipOneisNumberOne
  • Options
    crowley875crowley875 Member Posts: 187 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    when at the fountain, stand at attention. feel free to sit at the top of hill where Spock marriage ceremony took place.

NO trolling! this is a time or rememberance. it's a matter of respect

leave weapons behind. these should not be displayed, considering Spock's peaceful nature

leave any pets, party favors and anything else of that nature behind.

if anyone else has anything to add, feel free

I don't take orders from you. I pay my respects to Mr. Nimoy the way I choose. I won't let anyone tell me what to do. Pathetic.
  • Options
    mhirtescmhirtesc Member Posts: 581 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Anyone who insists that mourning a person's passing must be spent with wailing and crying is obviously not Irish.
  • Options
    cidjackcidjack Member Posts: 2,017 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    mhirtesc wrote: »
    Anyone who insists that mourning a person's passing must be spent with wailing and crying is obviously not Irish.

I posted a drinking game for people when they visit Vulcan, it went no where, so I don't their are any Irish people here.
    Armada: Multiplying fleet projects in need of dilithium by 13."
    95bced8038c91ec6f880d510e6fd302f366a776c4c5761e5f7931d491667a45e.jpgvia Imgflip Meme Generator
  • Options
    jexsamxjexsamx Member Posts: 2,802 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    I strongly disagree with an imposed protocol.

That said, it would be nice if people would at least stash the weapons. No one's making you, and I'm not gonna shout at anyone about it, but OP has a fair point with the peaceful nature bit. I don't care how many party balls you launch, since at least a dance party is also generally a peaceful gathering - weapons are for war and have no place at this community event. :\
  • Options
    millimidgetmillimidget Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    angrytarg wrote: »
    You are either trolling or asking to be trolled.
    Undoubtedly.
    "Tolerance and apathy are the last virtues of a dying society." - Aristotle
  • Options
    psiameesepsiameese Member Posts: 1,646 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    I wasn't sure in which thread this question was best suited. So I'll just drop it into this one.

I've seen the past couple of nights I've seen standing silently, at the center of the reflecting pool on the Vulcan social map, is a level 6 player character. Named Ghost Spock. Wearing a TOS science uniform. With no head. It's a ghost, get it? :rolleyes: YMMV, but I do find it odd. I wasn't aware player's were permitted to even use the name, Spock, as a first name or a last name? Let alone hack the character to display as such?
    (/\) Exploring Star Trek Online Since July 2008 (/\)
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    psiameese wrote: »
    I wasn't sure in which thread this question was best suited. So I'll just drop it into this one.

I've seen the past couple of nights I've seen standing silently, at the center of the reflecting pool on the Vulcan social map, is a level 6 player character. Named Ghost Spock. Wearing a TOS science uniform. With no head. It's a ghost, get it? :rolleyes: YMMV, but I do find it odd. I wasn't aware player's were permitted to even use the name, Spock, as a first name or a last name? Let alone hack the character to display as such?

the drama on Vulcan continues. More at 11.
  • Options
    comtedeloach2comtedeloach2 Member Posts: 499 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    cidjack wrote: »
    Note: Normal Flow of game play

Where is standing around the normal flow of game play? People standing around blocking the ability for people to interact with the NPC while they are doing the story mission on Vulcan would be considered disrupting the normal flow of game play. You should be banned for standing there.

One place standing around is normal flow of game play is in the exchange, using the services there, at every mail terminal, and at the bank, there is not way to not stand around and use those services.

Think before you spout....
This discussion has been closed.