test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Everyone is talking about memorials for Nimoy...

anazondaanazonda Member Posts: 8,399 Arc User
How about James Doohan or DeForest Kelley?

Those were equally interesting characters and deserve the same attention, on this day that their fellow colleague and helping founder of the series that most of us love... Yet are now missing from the puzzle.

Hall of heroes.
Don't look silly... Don't call it the "Z-Store/Zen Store"...
Let me put the rumors to rest: it's definitely still the C-Store (Cryptic Store) It just takes ZEN.
Like Duty Officers? Support effords to gather ideas
Post edited by anazonda on

Comments

• Options
    gulberatgulberat Member Posts: 5,505 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Where would you propose--the Academy? ESD?

Christian Gaming Community Fleets--Faith, Fun, and Fellowship! See the website and PM for more. :-)
    Proudly F2P.  Signature image by gulberat. Avatar image by balsavor.deviantart.com.
  • Options
    salazarrazesalazarraze Member Posts: 3,794 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    A large percentage of people only care about the here and the now.
    When you see "TRIBBLE" in my posts, it's because I manually typed "TRIBBLE" and censored myself.
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    gulberat wrote: »

The academy would be proper, don't you think..? Use one of those empty shells looking like buildings...

After all, at least 2 of the officers from the enterprise had been teaching at the academy (4 if you accept the very well done game "Starfleet academy" as soft canon).

Don't remind me.
    Let me put the rumors to rest: it's definitely still the C-Store (Cryptic Store) It just takes ZEN.
  • Options
    coupaholiccoupaholic Member Posts: 2,188 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    If DS9 were ever going to be updated, the chapel area there would make a nice remembrance location. A place anyone could visit regardless of faction.
  • Options
    abystander0abystander0 Member Posts: 648 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    anazonda wrote: »

Those were equally interesting characters and deserve the same attention, on this day that their fellow colleague and helping founder of the series that most of us love... Yet are now missing from the puzzle.

Hall of heroes.

What accomplishments do the characters these people play have in universe that would warrant such?
  • Options
    darthpetersendarthpetersen Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    A memorial for the crew of the Enterprise at starfleet academy would be great.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    thatcursedwolfthatcursedwolf Member Posts: 1,617 Arc User
    edited February 2015

Yeah! Where's the memorial for the Sumerian merchant Noah was based on!?!

Or Jason's memorial?

Leif Erikson only gets a mention in the congressional record and unlike a certain famous someone actually set foot on the continent!

*continues faux outrage*
    This is my Risian Corvette. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
  • Options
    ussprometheus79ussprometheus79 Member Posts: 727 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Don't forget, Nimoy was directly involved with STO. A fact sadly that none of already gone cast could have done.
    If you've come to the forums to complain about the AFK system, it's known to be bugged at the moment.
  • Options
    medalionemissarymedalionemissary Member Posts: 612 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I am not gonna be popular with this opinion but maybe we shouldn't have any memorials IN GAME that honor a Leonard Nimoy or James Doohan, etc etc

You can mention them in the credits of the game... where it is appropriate. But to honor in game breaks immersion... people want to feel this is the future universe of Star Trek... to say the actors who played them are honored in that world... breaks the fourth wall or whatever.

We can honor their memory in game by meeting at Vulcan, which is a great sentiment, but to have a lasting memorial that is IN-GAME is out of place a little.
    Deep Space Nine in HD, make it so!
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    What accomplishments do the characters these people play have in universe that would warrant such?

Who would have cared about Nemoy, without the two..?
  • Options
    edited February 2015

In-universe, I believe Scotty headed up the Starfleet Corps of Engineers at one point after his rescue from the Jenolan. McCoy is implied to have risen extremely high in the ranks (it would make sense for him to have headed Starfleet Medical) and was an Admiral upon his passing.

Christian Gaming Community Fleets--Faith, Fun, and Fellowship! See the website and PM for more. :-)
    Proudly F2P.  Signature image by gulberat. Avatar image by balsavor.deviantart.com.
  • Options
    cidjackcidjack Member Posts: 2,017 Arc User
    edited February 2015

Who is this Nemoy guy? We should be honoring the life of Leonard NIMOY.
    Armada: Multiplying fleet projects in need of dilithium by 13."
    95bced8038c91ec6f880d510e6fd302f366a776c4c5761e5f7931d491667a45e.jpgvia Imgflip Meme Generator
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    cidjack wrote: »
    Who is this Nemoy guy? We should be honoring the life of Leonard NIMOY.

No... we should be honoring all of the cast, without whom Nimoy (Smarta**... you know da*n well it was a typo) would have been a unknown nobody none of us would have remembered today.
  • Options
    leviathan99#2867 leviathan99 Member Posts: 7,747 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    The academy would be proper, don't you think..? Use one of those empty shells looking like buildings...

After all, at least 2 of the officers from the enterprise had been teaching at the academy (4 if you accept the very well done game "Starfleet academy" as soft canon).

Don't remind me.

I would actually propose adding a museum to the game somewhere. We have so many assets now that would lend themselves to that. There could be an exhibit for each era of Star Trek and for the various empires. The museum if placed in a fairly neutral area could be a launching point for some missions and special events.

In the meantime:

How about releasing the Guardian of Forever as a social zone locked to ranks Captain and above and adding images to the Guardian's rotation in honor of the people who have passed or contributed to STO?

Adding NPCs of Captain Spock, Captain Scott, and Admiral McCoy to the Captain's Table, which could be expanded out in time. I can see some longterm potential for the zone as a celebration of Trek but I think they need to add more ways to access it and more unique features to the place. I don't know about Scotty or McCoy... But I know Cryptic has the rights to use one preapproved version of Nimoy at one age but can recostume him. H2orat, who is no longer with us, explained once to me that's why Spock has dark hair in the F2P trailer.

But they could take the game's basic Spock, put him in a WoK uniform, and have him appear in game somewhere. And they have more recordings of Nimoy's voice than they released because they had him record both the "Space, the final frontier" intro and a variety of basic interactions when they planned for bridge officers to have voices. (One option in beta was to have your BO sound like Nimoy.)

Maybe they could have a Spock BO with the BO voiceover enabled.
  • Options
    leviathan99#2867 leviathan99 Member Posts: 7,747 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    New Romulus might actually be the most fitting place for a Spock memorial, BTW, given that the leader of the Romulans was Spock's protege and is attempting to continue Spock's work.
  • Options
    borgus1122borgus1122 Member Posts: 243 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I think, that everyone is talking about memorials for Niimoy, becouse he was so involved in this game, and he died in times, when this game is (was) already created. Other actors like James Doohan, DeForest Kelley and others died before this game was created.
  • Options
    zipagatzipagat Member Posts: 1,204 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I am not gonna be popular with this opinion but maybe we shouldn't have any memorials IN GAME that honor a Leonard Nimoy or James Doohan, etc etc

You can mention them in the credits of the game... where it is appropriate. But to honor in game breaks immersion... people want to feel this is the future universe of Star Trek... to say the actors who played them are honored in that world... breaks the fourth wall or whatever.

We can honor their memory in game by meeting at Vulcan, which is a great sentiment, but to have a lasting memorial that is IN-GAME is out of place a little.

Kind of a odd complaint to have isnt it? Considering there are already a memorial in game for a deceased member of the development team.

Plus its kind of a MMO "tradition" if you will, started by Star Wars Galaxies.
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    New Romulus might actually be the most fitting place for a Spock memorial, BTW, given that the leader of the Romulans was Spock's protege and is attempting to continue Spock's work.

That could be a good solution to allow all factions in.

• Options
    edited February 2015

That didn't address my question. While Deforrest Kelly and James Doohan were important to the original series and movies as actors, what reason would Starfleet or the Federation at large have for giving the characters statues. What accomplishments did they have to warrant such?

In-universe, I believe Scotty headed up the Starfleet Corps of Engineers at one point after his rescue from the Jenolan. McCoy is implied to have risen extremely high in the ranks (it would make sense for him to have headed Starfleet Medical) and was an Admiral upon his passing.

OK, this is good, but I do not see that as being worthy of having a statue dedicated to them when there are many others who were far more important to Starfleet and the Federation who do NOT have a statue (at least in game...I don't know about any canon instances out side the game having such). There have been many just as important individuals holding those or similar positions who did not get similar accolades...why should they stand out? Remember that I am asking from an in universe perspective, not the actors' contribution to the franchise.
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    borgus1122 wrote: »
    I think, that everyone is talking about memorials for Niimoy, becouse he was so involved in this game, and he died in times, when this game is (was) already created. Other actors like James Doohan, DeForest Kelley and others died before this game was created.

I fully recognize that, but just because others weren't give the chance, dosen't make them any less noteworthy...

Personally I think McCoy was significantly more interesting than Spock... But they were both a very important part of the puzzle.
    That didn't address my question. While Deforrest Kelly and James Doohan were important to the original series and movies as actors, what reason would Starfleet or the Federation at large have for giving the characters statues. What accomplishments did they have to warrant such?

Lets see... Scotty practically designed every emergency procedure in the book, and had personal influence in how things were designed even 80 years later (See Relics).

McCoy was the grandfather of modern Trek medicine, combining the old and the new medicine and managed to become recongized enough to become a medical Admiral.
    His documented experiences even became part of the EMH database, and even parts of the EMH's behavioral algorythms.

In short: While spock managed to bring on a peace with the klingons (that eventually collapsed... twice), Scotty and McCoy managed to create tools that saved lives well into the future.
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    In-universe, the crew of the Enterprise are generally held to be the some of the best and brightest, hence why such high accomplishments are almost across the board with them. They were legends in their time, much like we would look at McArthur, Nimitz, and Hap Arnold. That, I think, makes it make sense.

• Options
    edited February 2015
    Lets see... Scotty practically designed every emergency procedure in the book, and had personal influence in how things were designed even 80 years later (See Relics).

McCoy was the grandfather of modern Trek medicine, combining the old and the new medicine and managed to become recongized enough to become a medical Admiral.
    His documented experiences even became part of the EMH database, and even parts of the EMH's behavioral algorythms.

In short: While spock managed to bring on a peace with the klingons (that eventually collapsed... twice), Scotty and McCoy managed to create tools that saved lives well into the future.

Good example in Relics.

But I still don't see that as being worthy of being idolized (statuefied?). I think rather the monument lies in the contributions they made being carried forward. Having a starship named after you is pretty standard though.

If they were Klingon, then yes, certainly. The Klingons are real big on statues, and monuments and songs dedicated to their heroes.
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    Good example in Relics.

But I still don't see that as being worthy of being idolized (statuefied?). I think rather the monument lies in the contributions they made being carried forward. Having a starship named after you is pretty standard though.

If they were Klingon, then yes, certainly. The Klingons are real big on statues, and monuments and songs dedicated to their heroes.

I never talked about a statue... Even Kirk did not get a statue... Or Sarek... Or Archer... Why would spock?

The point is, that Spock was not really that important... He just got the ball rolling... But it was others who finished the snowman.
  • Options
    kodachikunokodachikuno Member Posts: 6,020 Arc User1
    edited February 2015
    Honestly I think a plaque in ESD's sick bay for McCoy, Delta Command for Scotty(since its named after the USS Jenolan that he was on and helped discover), and Spock should probably be on New Romulus as another suggested, his work as an ambassador, especially with the Romulan people, has had the most impact on the STO-verse. Alternatively a memorial at SFA for the whole crew of the Enterprise 1701/1701-A.

Well considering, despite anything they did or did not do AFTER STVI, they were the crew of the Enterprise, and saved the federation, earth, space-time, galaxy, etc more times than any other 6 crews combined. That plaque to George and Gracie at SFA wouldn't be there, nor would SFA, without them

edit:
    memorial doesn't mean statue. It can be as simple as a memorial plaque or grand and massive. I don't think anyone wants a 30 foot tall spock statue. Tho a 30 foot tall ToS Connie would be a cool monument for the whole original cast.. Just add the names as they pass IRL
  • Options
    bobbydazlersbobbydazlers Member Posts: 4,534 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I think the tribute in the sto website page is fitting enough and believe anything in game would be just tacky and in poor taste.

its enough of a memorial to leonard nimoy and all of the stars of trek that have or will leave this mortal coil that we remember them fondly.

in the words of kirk, "He's not really gone as long as we find a way to remember him."

I need nothing in the game to help me remember any trek stars.

When I think about everything we've been through together,

maybe it's not the destination that matters, maybe it's the journey,

and if that journey takes a little longer,

so we can do something we all believe in,

I can't think of any place I'd rather be or any people I'd rather be with.

• Options
    smeeinn1tsmeeinn1t Member Posts: 618 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    He spoke the first ever line of ST, he spoke some of the best lines in ST, he was ST...

Kirk was vainglorious, McCoy was erudite, Scotty was irascible, Chekhov was a character and Sulu, well Sulu was Sulu... Uhura was a game changer.

Throughout this was Spock! What, who was Spock? Spock was us, yup us! We all knew that Spock was really a reflection of ourselves, that part that got stuff right, that part that didn't get tricked, the smartness which we all know we have.

That small part of us that wanted to be Kirk, with a touch of Spock thrown in to make it work. That part that wanted to be Picard, with a little of the old Spock magic thrown in. How we yearned to find our way home from the Delta quadrant, wishing we had Spock to show Tuvok the way. How the Sisko could have benefited from Spock like logic to deal with the Prophets. How much cooler T'Pol would have been if she'd only been more Spock like...

I call for a permanent shrine on P'Jem to Spock and all the fallen of ST.

Spock was/is/will always be Trek!

LLAP.
    V9BQ6SM.gif
    "A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." — Lazarus Long --->Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    ladymyajhaladymyajha Member Posts: 1,427 Arc User
    edited February 2015

Hall of heroes.

I may not be popular for this, so let me preface that I loved Scotty and McCoy. But Mr. Nimoy was in STO, helped promote it, and did the intro. Mr. Doohan and Mr. Kelley were not. No fault of their own obviously, but they were not in STO.

I know it sucks for me to say it, and in some ways it's not right, but if we honor every person who was in Star Trek and made it great, we'd need another planet for all the memorials.
  • Options
    drakomagidrakomagi Member Posts: 124 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I agree. A memorial for the crew of the Enterprise is definitely in order.
    Spock, Scotty, and McCoy all need their fair share.
  • Options
    betayuyabetayuya Member Posts: 1,059 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    in this case they might as well do it all, statue, plaque, recordings and stuff on vulcan, there would be no end to how far they can put stuff in there to memorize him.
    eywdK7c.jpg
  • Options
    kjwashingtonkjwashington Member Posts: 2,529 Arc User
    edited February 2015

This is why a memorial to Spock makes sense. After all, lore-wise Spock is missing/presumed dead.
    FaW%20meme_zpsbkzfjonz.jpg
    Support 90 degree arc limitation on BFaW! Save our ships from looking like flying disco balls of dumb!