Options

Mission "Facility 2048" and "ISIS" computer

2»

Comments

• Options
    azniadeetazniadeet Member Posts: 1,871 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Who cares?

Seriously... I think anyone with a shred of sanity or intelligence knows that a fictional computer system has exactly nothing to do with terrorist extremists.
  • Options
    phantomeightphantomeight Member Posts: 567 Bug Hunter
    edited February 2015
    On top of all of the other posters putting the OP in their place....

ISIS the terror organization, would not have existed in this time line. The Eugenics wars and World War III were the primary issues of our time within the Star Trek Universe. Aside from the fact that 30+ million of us would be dead... we'd all be running around trying to not be slaves of the augments.

I can understand Isis Wallet renaming their entire brand to Softcard... but an Acronym for a computer in some obscure mission that I only played once (I don't alt... I ain't got time for that...)? Sorry, that doesn't count.
  • Options
    battykoda0battykoda0 Member Posts: 959 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    This computer was named this long before some militant group came along. If one came and called themselves 7-Up, would you campaign to have them change their cans? :confused:
    Wow. There is a new KDF Science ship. I'll be!
  • Options
    prierinprierin Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    battykoda0 wrote: »
    This computer was named this long before some militant group came along. If one came and called themselves 7-Up, would you campaign to have them change their cans? :confused:

I hate 7-Up so that wouldn't really upset me...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    You will forever be missed and never forgotten.
  • Options
    neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Yet you don't mention the bajorans...you sir are a hypocrite

Also when did the forums go from crazy fun , to sad and pathetic crazy
    GwaoHAD.png
  • Options
    mistressbenihimemistressbenihime Member Posts: 224 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    skollulfr wrote: »
    not this feeble assinine nonsence again.
    1- isis has been a girls name for millennia.
    2- thats because the name dates back to an egyptian deity
    3- that mission in pre-dates the US govt created group that you are talking about
    4- this is cowardice. attacking every innocuous thing you find just because it sounds like the name of the monster under your bed will get you nowhere.

+1 were seriously going to cower in fear of terrorism because that's obviously a better choice then saying FU terrorists?
    THE NEW CRAFTING SYSTEM IS TERRA-BAD
    First of all it's not even a crafting system! It's just a dumb game system that's nothing more than a glorified slots machine.
    second the "special items" you hope will be the saving the saving grace are messed up to.
  • Options
    daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I luv the way folks like this make ONE POST and then disappear from the thread when they get an answer, never to be seen again...

:rolleyes:
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • Options
    ladymyajhaladymyajha Member Posts: 1,427 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    andycman wrote: »
    As many of you may know, ISIS is a big terrorist group in the Middle East.

As many of you also may know, the computer in the mission "Facility 2048" is named ISIS (it's probably some acronym, would be helpful what it stands for in the mission):(.

Unless the developers of STO are real-world ISIS supporters, which I strongly hope they are not, I'd recommend CHANGING THE NAME OF THE COMPUTER! If the computer name has a reference to a Star Trek episode, why not say the computer was renamed?
    (note: it's been a while since I played that mission, so the name might've changed in an update, but it probably didn't.)

haven't we had this conversation before... and didn't the community say the same thing.

Isis the name has been in use for millenia as an Egyptian goddess. Also Cryptic created the ISIS computer years before some terrorist organization created it.

Also, I.S.I.S is a translation of their Arabic name... spelled in Arabic... so as far as the organization is concerned they're not called ISIS but something totally different... spelled in Arabic.

Also why should we cave into some TRIBBLE terrorist organization and allow them to force us to change our lives and what we concider fun just because they're asshats. Damn it, we keep the name ISIS for the computer and let them know we have thicker skin then they give us credit for and won't be offended because they decided on a (Arabic) name that when acronymned out happens to be the same as a computer in a video game. "F" them. They don't like it... to "F'n" bad.

Also OP, grow a thicker skin. Stop being offended by everything under the sun. You're doing exactly what the damn terrorist organization wants us to do, be offended and afraid.
  • Options
    warmaker001bwarmaker001b Member Posts: 9,205 Arc User
    edited February 2015

As many of you also may know, the computer in the mission "Facility 2048" is named ISIS (it's probably some acronym, would be helpful what it stands for in the mission):(.

Unless the developers of STO are real-world ISIS supporters, which I strongly hope they are not, I'd recommend CHANGING THE NAME OF THE COMPUTER! If the computer name has a reference to a Star Trek episode, why not say the computer was renamed?
    (note: it's been a while since I played that mission, so the name might've changed in an update, but it probably didn't.)

What?!?
    XzRTofz.gif
  • Options
    lindalefflindaleff Member Posts: 3,734 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Maybe you should tell Egypt to get rid of the goddess too, just because a terrorist organization is using that name. Or, you can go back in time, and tell Charlie Chaplin to get rid of his toothbrush moustache, just because a certain German used that moustache as his signature look. Or you can deport everyone who happens to speak Russian, because Communism. I've had quite enough of someone wanting to demonize everything, just because some idiot decided to use that thing. It started as a positive thing, so that is how it should remain known.
    I completed a 2-man CSE, ISE, and KASE, Optionals included. And I soloed Winter Invasion.
    My Ship Builds: USS Conqueror, HMS Victorious, HMS Concord, ISS Queen Elizabeth, Black Widow III
    Click here to view my DeviantArt.
  • Options
    comdrivercomdriver Member Posts: 74 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    If I'd ever go insane and want to create terroristic group I'd call it "EARTH" so humans couldn't live here anymore and the would be total anarchy and chaos without single shot! AHAHAHA!!!
  • Options
    mindmagemindmage Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2015

Simple answer: NO.

Many people have replied with other uses of the name Isis.

There's nothing wrong with it. Cryptic doesn't have to change it because some baka's panties are in a bunch because a terrorist group is calling themselves ISIS.
    Playing since launch in 2010.
  • Options
    nyxadrillnyxadrill Member Posts: 1,242 Arc User
    edited February 2015

Oh dear god I wish I could 'un'-read that! Brain disregard! :eek:
    server_hamster6.png
  • Options
    misterde3misterde3 Member Posts: 4,195 Arc User
    edited February 2015

As we know they're also connected to the "Islamic State" which is shortened to "IS".
    Therefore everyone who is not a supporter of the "Islamic State" must be totally for the idea I present now:
    Remove the word "is" from the Enlish language and replace it with the word "duuuuhhhh".
    It's the only sensible thing to do.
    Everyone who is not for this idea is a terrorist sympathiser.

:rolleyes:
  • Options
    darthraiderxxxdarthraiderxxx Member Posts: 200 Arc User
    edited February 2015

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uq-v1TTUyhM

This has to be an early candidate for most stupid thread of the year.
  • Options
    nesomumi2nesomumi2 Member Posts: 359 Arc User
    edited February 2015

strong stuff you are on, strong indeed.
  • Options
    js26568js26568 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Consider the fact that ISIS don't call themselves ISIS and never ever have they called themselves ISIS.

Then consider the fact that the OP posted this thread as a troll thread.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Free Tibet!
  • Options
    gonaliusgonalius Member Posts: 893 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    So... You vish to cater to these terrorist pigs, jah? You vish to capitulate und fear zem, yes? You vant to run und hide under ze covers und pretend zey do not exist, like little scaredy Eppoh? Phah! Phah I say! Ve Vill ignore zem until zey go avay und leave our starbases in peace, und zen vonce ze galaxy iz no lnger suspectings of anything, zen ze Gonalius Imperium vill CRUSH ALL WHO OPPOSE IT, UND I VILL RULE SUPREME!!! GWAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

Phew... Stereotypical German Bond-esque villain is harder to write than I thought... Fun though.

Besides, they aren't called ISIS. They are just called IS (this week anyway, who knows what next week will bring), do you want to remove the word 'is' from the English language?
  • Options
    askrayaskray Member Posts: 3,329 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I.S.I.S as people pointed out stands for something in the mission 2048, not to mention it's a word that's long since been used in the history of earth.

I understand some people may take offense to it, but realistically if companies started removing names that were involved in bad acts there wouldn't be much left.

Also, since this thread is going down hill, I'm just going to close it.
    Yes, I'm that Askray@Batbayer in game. Yes, I still play. No, I don't care.
    Former Community Moderator, Former SSR DJ, Now Full time father to two kids, Husband, Retail Worker.
    Tiktok: @Askray Facebook: Askray113

This discussion has been closed.