test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Mission "Facility 2048" and "ISIS" computer

As many of you may know, ISIS is a big terrorist group in the Middle East.

As many of you also may know, the computer in the mission "Facility 2048" is named ISIS (it's probably some acronym, would be helpful what it stands for in the mission):(.

Unless the developers of STO are real-world ISIS supporters, which I strongly hope they are not, I'd recommend CHANGING THE NAME OF THE COMPUTER! If the computer name has a reference to a Star Trek episode, why not say the computer was renamed?
(note: it's been a while since I played that mission, so the name might've changed in an update, but it probably didn't.)
Post edited by quantumquantonum#7698 on

Comments

• Options
    medalionemissarymedalionemissary Member Posts: 612 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Please tell me you are joking/trolling

Isis is a very common name and acronym
    Deep Space Nine in HD, make it so!
  • Options
    hyplhypl Member Posts: 3,719 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    This again? They're not going to change the name of the computer. Do you want CBS to change the name of Gary 7's cat, Isis, as well? Do you want people named Isis to change their names, too? :rolleyes:
  • Options
    frtoasterfrtoaster Member Posts: 3,352 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Are you serious? The terrorist organization is not the only thing with that name, you know.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isis

The Egyptian goddess preceded the terrorist group by several thousand years. A friend of mine had a fleet named "The Order of Isis", after the Egyptian goddess. The fleet was created years ago, before the terrorist group ISIS became known in the West. She was forced to change the name because of constant harassment from people who couldn't tell the difference.
    Waiting for a programmer ...
    qVpg1km.png
  • Options
    prierinprierin Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    andycman wrote: »

As many of you also may know, the computer in the mission "Facility 2048" is named ISIS (it's probably some acronym, would be helpful what it stands for in the mission):(.

Unless the developers of STO are real-world ISIS supporters, which I strongly hope they are not, I'd recommend CHANGING THE NAME OF THE COMPUTER! If the computer name has a reference to a Star Trek episode, why not say the computer was renamed?
    (note: it's been a while since I played that mission, so the name might've changed in an update, but it probably didn't.)

You are not the first to bring this up and I am sure others have already beaten me to the following response: so what?

ISIS/ISIL is a terrorist group. ISIS is also an Egyptian goddess. Either way, it's just a name.

If a terrorist group calling themselves KURLAND came out would we need to change the name of the character?

Back in the 80's there was a tv show, The Greatest American Hero. The main character was Ralph Hinkley. When a man named Hinkley attempted to assassinate Ronald Regan, the show producers went nuts and changed the character’s name in the middle of a season. A stupid overreaction.

Don’t worry about the name of the computer. If you cave in to fear then the terrorists have won.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    You will forever be missed and never forgotten.
  • Options
    merdhynmerdhyn Member Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I would have to agree with darthmeow504 and the rest who say no, allowing a terrorist to change how one speaks or acts is letting them win on a rather intimate level. Sure, you're still alive, but you've been changed by them or the mere threat of them. and as for the group in question being created by the US Government, I really don't know where you get your information, but that's baseless at best.
  • Options
    josan369josan369 Member Posts: 114 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Unless the developers of STO are real-world ISIS supporters, which I strongly hope they are not, I'd recommend CHANGING THE NAME OF THE COMPUTER!

They should also change the name of the Ancient Egyptian Goddess too! Because we should ALL be aware that things that existed/were named before the terror group became headline news might secretly (and *gasp* unknowingly) support them!

I'd also like to point out that disagreeing with anything I said may also make YOU an Isis Supporter!

Gawd Bless 'Mericuh!

(Did I do that right, I'm kinda new to the Fear Monger thing.)
  • Options
    prierinprierin Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    josan369 wrote: »
    They should also change the name of the Ancient Egyptian Goddess too! Because we should ALL be aware that things that existed/were named before the terror group became headline news might secretly (and *gasp* unknowingly) support them!

I'd also like to point out that disagreeing with anything I said may also make YOU an Isis Supporter!

Almost... you forot to end with MERICUH!!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    You will forever be missed and never forgotten.
  • Options
    blassreiterusblassreiterus Member Posts: 1,294 Arc User
    edited February 2015

ISIS in STO came before ISIS the terror group... there's no connection between the two aside from the name.
    Star Trek Online LTS player.
  • Options
    starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    edited February 2015

Why should they change it because of what is blatantly a complete coincidence? The group's actual acronym is Da'ish (pronounced "dash"). One of the potential translations abbreviates to ISIS by pure happenstance. The linguistic term is false cognate. The two have absolutely nothing to do with each other.

Do some actual research before you open your mouth next time, you moron. :rolleyes:

And for the record, in STO the expanded form is "Inmate Security and Information System".
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member, Star Trek Online Moderator Posts: 58,183 Community Moderator
    edited February 2015
    I have to stand with everyone else in this thread. There is no reason to change the ISIS computer name because there is no connection between it and the Terrorist group. Just like there is no connection between the group and anyone named Isis, including the ancient Egyptian Goddess.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    kozar2kozar2 Member Posts: 602 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I sure hope no terrorist group names itself "Star Trek".
  • Options
    narthaisnarthais Member Posts: 452 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    starswordc wrote: »
    And for the record, in STO the expanded form is "Inmate Security and Information System".

Which if the OP had paid attention to the dialogue in the mission, rather than just spamming F to bypass it all and get to the killing, they would already know that little bit of information and would not need to resort to a knee-jerk fear-monger reaction.
  • Options
    ednaftwednaftw Member Posts: 27 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    ISIS in STO came before ISIS the terror group... there's no connection between the two aside from the name.

Actually the terrorists were playing sto and got the name from there.
  • Options
    hyplhypl Member Posts: 3,719 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    kozar2 wrote: »
    I sure hope no terrorist group names itself "Star Trek".

/thread :D
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    ednaftw wrote: »
    Actually the terrorists were playing sto and got the name from there.

That's it! I'm calling Fox "News"! This is proof!
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,407 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    josan369 wrote: »

Gawd Bless 'Mericuh!

No, no, no - it's pronounced 'MURRICA!
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    rosetyler51rosetyler51 Member Posts: 1,631 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Sadly enough this is not the worst fear-mongering thread I have seen on the forums.

On topic. No, just no
  • Options
    thetaninethetanine Member Posts: 1,367 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Ya, uh...this is a game yo...not real life. Forget about it.
    STAR TREK
    lD8xc9e.png
  • Options
    kodachikunokodachikuno Member Posts: 6,020 Arc User1
    edited February 2015

this is as moronic as someone crying about a swastika... it only predates the TRIBBLE party by THOUSANDS of years and was even used by the allies in WWII
  • Options
    davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,552 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Do you know what you get if you divide 2048 by 3.075075075075075... ?

That';s right, ** 666 *** !!

SATAN !!!!!!!!!!!!!!one!

:eek:

: sigh : aren't there enough stupid threads in the forum already? Guess not.
  • Options
    djxprimedjxprime Member Posts: 522 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    There is also this little gem from about forty years ago...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nNMJRFGuXL0

But seriously, can we let this troll starve for once please?
    Kkerp5u.jpg?1

"No matter where you go...there you are."
  • Options
    crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,115 Arc User
    edited February 2015

What's next - are you going to write the Egyptian Historical society and demand they refer to the ancient god 'Isis' by a different name? Seriously, this mission existed before the group under discussion became a talking point. Are you really that concerned someone WON'T be able to discern a fictional computer in a game based on a fictional universe?
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    Are you really that concerned someone WON'T be able to discern a fictional computer in a game based on a fictional universe?

I'm going to go with: Yes. The way the OP was written makes me think the OP is one of those people you are talking about.
  • Options
    wrenfuwrenfu Member Posts: 119 Arc User
    edited February 2015

Here's your reply.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    moonshadowdarkmoonshadowdark Member Posts: 1,899 Arc User
    edited February 2015

This is why I wish using the internet required an IQ test.

Or at the very least, allow me to dispatch mercenaries to people's homes.
    "A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP"

-Leonard Nimoy, RIP
  • Options
    edwardianededwardianed Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I was watching an episode of Star Trek the other day, and it turned out one of the producers was called Ira Steven Behr; can you believe that? Ira! How dare the callous makers of Star Trek allow such a man to work for them! Everybody knows the I.R.A was a notorious terrorist group, and to blatantly promote them through this man is sickening. I intend to complain to the most senior executives at CBS to have his name legally changed and that fact reflected by editing the original offending episodes.
This discussion has been closed.