test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Dilithium Price Wars! - Buyer Beware

Comments

• erei1erei1 Member Posts: 4,081 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Hey that's lotro - only it's turbine points not a penny.

Again, for those that think dilithium grind is bad - try earning turbine points to buy mission content. That's loads of fun. Oh and btw those rats you have to kill only spawn very slowly in one location. Enjoy! P.s. you can buy a deed accelerator for only 500 turbine points.
    LOTRO have a different approach to content, and grind than STO. In LOTRO they makes most of their money by selling new content. On the bright side, most of it is free for subs (and otherwise you have the stipend for it).
    Also, without grinding TP (the zen equivalent), you can makes hundreds of it by simply leveling your character.I know I made 100-200TP by just leveling a character for 20lvl. I never did 200zen that way on STO.

So yeah, nice trolling.

I'm in no way fan of LOTRO, only playing it like once per year, and mostly because it's the LOTR universe (my favorite), but dumping s*** on it without facts to backup your claim is very annoying.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • amishrevolutionamishrevolution Member Posts: 127 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Nope, I'm one of the idiots trying to grind them out with dilithium. I didn't say they weren't addictive, I just said that they were legal until the gubmint catches on to what's going on. I don't see much point in sending tells about something I'm doing myself, albeit the hard way.

They're skating by on the fact that the lockbox keys are purchasable ingame but take forever to actually get enough dilithium or EC to buy the stupid things. They also manipulate each of the economies by reducing, increasing, or eliminating methods of gaining EC and Dilithium in sufficient quantities to do so thereby forcing zen purchases. It's terribly manipulative and if I had thought of it, I'd be proud and hiding from the law right now.
  • sheldonlcoopersheldonlcooper Member Posts: 4,042 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    erei1 wrote: »
    LOTRO have a different approach to content, and grind than STO. In LOTRO they makes most of their money by selling new content. On the bright side, most of it is free for subs (and otherwise you have the stipend for it).
    Also, without grinding TP (the zen equivalent), you can makes hundreds of it by simply leveling your character.I know I made 100-200TP by just leveling a character for 20lvl. I never did 200zen that way on STO.

So yeah, nice trolling.

I'm in no way fan of LOTRO, only playing it like once per year, and mostly because it's the LOTR universe (my favorite), but dumping s*** on it without facts to backup your claim is very annoying.

ehhh no. 100 to 200 TP is worthless. Here is the price list: http://lotro-wiki.com/index.php/LOTRO_Store

As you can see quest packs are around 700 turbine points. Expansions are 1500 to 2500 on average.

15 more inventory space is 995!!

You can earn about 4 times more zen a day than turbine points easily. And zen has much more purchase power than turbine points. I've played lotro every day for the past 2 years. So take your troll and shove it.
    Captain Jean-Luc Picard: "We think we've come so far. Torture of heretics, burning of witches, it's all ancient history. Then - before you can blink an eye - suddenly it threatens to start all over again."

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

• markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,236 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    js26568 wrote: »
    We should all be free to play the game at whatever pace we want to.

If people want to spend years progressing, that's fine. I have no issue with it. It's up to you what you do.

I don't want to spend that long doing it. I should have a choice.

Oh, and by the way, I would never suggest that the way I want to play should be the only way. I would never suggest that people who want to play the game differently to the way I play it should leave the game. That's not rational.

Please stop imposing the long, slow way you want to play the game onto everyone else.
    Let me guess... you're one of those people who decided to grind to level 60+ immediately after DR launched? Well the devs decided that it should be time consuming....

And really... even without grinding for xp I'vbe gotten 1 character to 60 and 12 more to 55 or higher.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • gonaliusgonalius Member Posts: 893 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    cidjack wrote: »

"You could have made my monthly car payment instead of chasing after that Temporal sci ship"

Just thought I'd mention that I got that ship in the third lockbox I ever opened a couple of days ago.
    edited January 2015
    There are some things that Cryptic has done exceptionally well in my opinion. I really enjoy the storylines and find them quite well written by people that seem to mostly understand Star Trek. The seasonal maps are very enjoyable and the ship rewards are well done and not chincy at all, I particularly like the fact that they're offbeat.

I also have no problem with the extended levelling to sixty even though I do wish that there were more actual content and storyline to enjoy. Initially, I hated the grind, so I didn't do it and have two more toons almost at sixty right now by doing other things including doffing for dilithium and contraband.
    edited January 2015
    gonalius wrote: »
    Just thought I'd mention that I got that ship in the third lockbox I ever opened a couple of days ago.

And I've probably opened a hundred of the stupid things over the years and I don't recall ever getting one of those particular ships. I've gotten most of the others, usually after opening a couple of dozen boxes (off of dilithium purchased zen and my stipend). I've also opened three or four of the R&D packs every day since it started and still don't have one of those blasted Elachi Dreads, but I'll keep plugging away at it until it ends or I get one.
  • lordatrocitieslordatrocities Member Posts: 462 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    My issue usn't that there is grinding, its that they are creating a system that forces players to grind endlessly. I put my time in to get my marks for four characters. Even played thru the borken PvE system until I just burned out.

I realized that unless people paid the high cost in Dilithium to upgrade their gear, the Advanced PvE's and such were going to become increasingly harder to play.

The whole point to the upgrade system is to force the player into buying upgrades and in order to buy the needed amount of upgrades most players are going to have to resort to the Exchange. Of which they'll buy ZEN to buy dilithium.

Is there anything wrong with this, no not really unless Cryptic jacks the price of Dilithium or makes it impossible, as they are currently doing, to earn enough Dilithium, let alone refine it, in order to drive players into the exchange.

I just think the entire system is a gimmick now designed to penalize players who try to grind their way through. It burns people out, or makes them so frustrated they either buy their upgrades via ZEN and Dilithium or give up entirely and bail from the game.

When they bail, it makes it harder for the rest of us to find good PUG's.

Food for thought.
    What happened to those unique forum ranks I paid for?
  • nightkennightken Member Posts: 2,824 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    azrael605 wrote: »
    Sigh, another person making the claim that we are "forced to buy zen" in order to get dilithium, well I don't know about the OP but I ONLY get zen with dilithium, not the other way around. I am not forced to buy anything, and have not spent any real money in the game in quite some time. I am also the owner and only member(s) of a level 8 Federation fleet and every scrap of dilithium that has ever gone into it has come from me. I could easily buy zen to fill fleet projects, but instead I choose to wait and fill the projects at whatever pace I desire to. I reject utterly the assertion that we have no choice but to spend money to get dilithium.

sorry my friend but logic isn't allow here, this is sith territory, passion rules here... I've only spent 25$ in two yearrs and none of it on dil... I may buy some zen this week. still not for dil I want to get the delta pack.

if I stop posting it doesn't make you right it. just means I don't have enough rum to continue interacting with you.
  • rattler2rattler2 Member, Star Trek Online Moderator Posts: 58,449 Community Moderator
    edited January 2015
    Um... the only way Cryptic controls the DL Exchange is by releasing new C-Store stuff. If you pay attention to the levels, it fluctuates quite a bit. New fleet holding comes out, the price tends to drop because Dilithium is in demand. New C-Store ships tend to drive the price up as Zen is in more demand. That's the extent of their control. The rest is Player speculation.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
    edited January 2015
    rattler2 wrote: »
    Um... the only way Cryptic controls the DL Exchange is by releasing new C-Store stuff. If you pay attention to the levels, it fluctuates quite a bit. New fleet holding comes out, the price tends to drop because Dilithium is in demand. New C-Store ships tend to drive the price up as Zen is in more demand. That's the extent of their control. The rest is Player speculation.

They also manipulate dilithium through the additional time-limited rewards like the Elachi Dreadnought, special ships in the doff packs, the R&D weekend where you get dilithium for scanning resources. It's all social engineering to guide the customer to go buy zen either to sell or to buy more of those time limited packs. Yes, the dilithium market fluctuates a bit, usually by only 2 to 3 dilithium per zen, sometimes up to 10 or so but that is not a major market fluctuation, not even enough to really profit from unless you're buying and selling massive quantities.
  • omegaphallicomegaphallic Member Posts: 101 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Do what I do, be selective in what you do. After fulfilling my curiousity getting my Dyson Hyper Shield to mark 13, I decided the equiptment upgrade system was a pain in the TRIBBLE and I didn't like it, so I didn't bother with it anymore. I don't do most of the ques, although that can change based on my whim and interests. Heck I don't even always bother refining my dilithium, when I was playing today I didn't bother.

I'm doing the Fastest Race or whatever its call this winter because I finally found out how to win and while I still lose sometimes its fun now and they finally have a ship I want, but in previous years I never bothered, even if 75% of that desire is more over the trait which once unlocked I can use on my Fleet Corair T-U, the other 25% being curiousity about T6 and getting to play with both my Orion Elite Interceptors and Orion Elite Slavers at the same time.

I took my time playing the Delta Mission, mixed up with doing Agala which I really enjoyed.

I use the systems like the Kathless Expanse to test my builds. The dilithium is just a bonus.

I'm really picky on what I grind for mostly, I've already gotten enough toys to play with, everything else is just gravy now.

If you can get past the OCD you'll enjoy this game alot more like I do.,
    edited January 2015
    coldnapalm wrote: »
    So...your bad at this game. If you think up need to upgrade ANYTHING to do advanced, your just bad at this game. Even white mk X is enough to advanced. Hell, my for fun ship which is made badly on purpose can do most advanced (I have 3 energy types on it, a torp, a mine, a quad cannon and zero energy damage boosters). And even if you're bad, upgrades to mk XIV is easy as can be. If you think you need epic...yeah, it won't help ya. Epic is for showing off. If you can't collect 8k dil in about 1-2 hours of play, your bad at this game. I'm sorry, but the game should not be at a level where somebody as bad as you can easily and quickly get max everything because that means people who have a SMIDGE of a clue will be done in 3 second flat.

Well at least we know you're a TROLL now. Puff Puff pass man. Puff Puff pass.
  • nesomumi2nesomumi2 Member Posts: 359 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Scary title to be sure but one that sums up the new dilithium system pretty much to a point.

Cryptic / PW have moved toward a new system that forces players to buy processed Dylithium through the Zen store that far out paces past efforts. They have reduced the amount of Dilithium that is paid out for missions, removed it from PvE pretty much completely, and have driven the cost of everything that uses Dilithium up considerably. All this to cause a dilithium raw resource drought which forces players to use more and more of the refined Dilithium.

The whole point to the new system is to force players to turn to the Exchange to spend REAL WORLD MONEY to buy dilithium. Dilithium prices that THEY CONTROL THE COST OF. By limiting, or rather throttling raw dilithium and capping the amount you can process per day to 8 to 9 thousand depending upon if you are a LTS or not, they have all but deliberately caused a dilithium drought.

Factor in the absolute hell a player must go thru in order to get raw dilithum these days, go to the Ferengi mine, mine 5 times, or use a rare Rich Dilithium ticket, which are virtually impossible to get short of spending real world money on zen key's, and then hoping for the best when unlocking scam er lock boxes, or for LTS travel to Earth, Romulas, Or Kronos to access the 1000 . 2 day - DOFF mission. Be in a fleet and travel to the fleet mine to get 500 more plus mine mine mine to get more raw.

They have increased the change rate on the mining as to make it harder to hit 700 each time and they have nerfed the DOFF missions that pay out dilithium as to fail more often than they used too.

Couple in the massive cost of Upgrading, and the increased cost of ships, reputation missions, fleet projects, etc and you begin to see the scam.

If you want to get anywhere you have to invest Real World Money into Zen then hit the ezchange to buy processed Dilithium. Then use that Dilithium for whatever you need, but realize that all the costs have gone up thus that dilithium doesn't go as far as it used too. Now understand that the prices on the exchange are subject to change at the whim of Cryptic and you begin to see the lie of the entire system.

The game is now more or less directly focused on getting you to burn thru your raw dilithium, make it harder to get, burn through your processed dilithium, which is even harder to get, all for the purpose of making you spend real world money on zen and it is only going to get worse. At some point many players are just going to say enough and move onto other games. Which means higher costs for the those who stay behind has crytpic trys to comp for the lost revenue.

Either way, we have crossed the Rubicon and there is no going back. STO's days are numbered and I find that very sad.

Bidding for my stuff starts at 10 quintillion gold pressed latinum. No less for an opening bid.

a true player that dose not even know why he is playing this game, that is you my friend.
    i get 8k dili. in 10 min. if that is horrid, they you should change the game. you just look like a big crybaby to me, and i should dare to say to the rest all so.
    edited January 2015
    nesomumi2 wrote: »
    a true player that dose not even know why he is playing this game, that is you my friend.
    i get 8k dili. in 10 min. if that is horrid, they you should change the game. you just look like a big crybaby to me, and i should dare to say to the rest all so.

Well Good for you. Too bad you are a liar and so stoned on whatever it is you're smoking to know your TRIBBLE from reality. But hey, to each is to own.
    edited January 2015
    I guess it didn't occure to you while you were insulting me that perhaps most people don't like to wait four days to do some things. :D

and then you spend your money for it... doh
    edited January 2015
    Well Good for you. Too bad you are a liar and so stoned on whatever it is you're smoking to know your TRIBBLE from reality. But hey, to each is to own.

it is not smart to call people liar's that you don't know.
    edited January 2015

I called him a liar because he lied and his lie directly involved me ergo I have every right to call him on it.
    edited January 2015
    I called him a liar because he lied and his lie directly involved me ergo I have every right to call him on it.
    i feel pity for you, and i am glad that you are spending money on this game, as some one needs to finance PW and Cryptic. so ty for the service, now continue to ***** and troll about it.
    edited January 2015
    i feel pity for you, and i am glad that you are spending money on this game, as some one needs to finance PW and Cryptic. so ty for the service, now continue to ***** and troll about it.

I suspect being laughed is something you are used too. And the game is fun regardless of people like you who spend their days trolling the forums. I was happy to buy my LTS. So at least I have have supported the game. What about you? Apart from TROLLING all day long, what have ever done to support the game?
    edited January 2015
    I suspect being laughed is something you are used too. And the game is fun regardless of people like you who spend their days trolling the forums. I was happy to buy my LTS. So at least I have have supported the game. What about you? Apart from TROLLING all day long, what have ever done to support the game?

nothing, but i still bought the Delta pack. how about you?
    edited January 2015
    nothing, but i still bought the Delta pack. how about you?

Wel if they'd ever fix the forum titles ..... I did.
  • kiralynkiralyn Member Posts: 1,576 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    We should all be free to play the game at whatever pace we want to.

If people want to spend years progressing, that's fine. I have no issue with it. It's up to you what you do.

I don't want to spend that long doing it. I should have a choice.

You have a choice.... and it's the one you laid out yourself: you can play the game the patient way, or you can CHOOSE to spend money to accelerate your progress.

Choice. Not "forced". (Well, at least not forced by the devs - how much you are "forced" to do things by your own personality is your own issue.)

...it's a good thing that you didn't play MMOs back in the "good old days" (yes, I'm making an assumption, but it seems safe considering the things you've said). You know, when you had to pay $15 a month just for access, and everything in the game was designed to be the largest time-sink possible. Wait a week between each run of a raid, grind for days (in groups only!) to gain a level, lose XP and/or gear when you died, wait days/weeks for respawns of rare "world bosses"..... Yeah, long slow time-sink has kind of a been a core feature of MMOs for decades. It's only now in the f2p era that they've started giving people the choice to be foolish with their cash in exchange for instant gratification.
  • hyefatherhyefather Member Posts: 1,286 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Scary title to be sure but one that sums up the new dilithium system pretty much to a point.

Cryptic / PW have moved toward a new system that forces players to buy processed Dylithium through the Zen store that far out paces past efforts. They have reduced the amount of Dilithium that is paid out for missions, removed it from PvE pretty much completely, and have driven the cost of everything that uses Dilithium up considerably. All this to cause a dilithium raw resource drought which forces players to use more and more of the refined Dilithium.

The whole point to the new system is to force players to turn to the Exchange to spend REAL WORLD MONEY to buy dilithium. Dilithium prices that THEY CONTROL THE COST OF. By limiting, or rather throttling raw dilithium and capping the amount you can process per day to 8 to 9 thousand depending upon if you are a LTS or not, they have all but deliberately caused a dilithium drought.

Factor in the absolute hell a player must go thru in order to get raw dilithum these days, go to the Ferengi mine, mine 5 times, or use a rare Rich Dilithium ticket, which are virtually impossible to get short of spending real world money on zen key's, and then hoping for the best when unlocking scam er lock boxes, or for LTS travel to Earth, Romulas, Or Kronos to access the 1000 . 2 day - DOFF mission. Be in a fleet and travel to the fleet mine to get 500 more plus mine mine mine to get more raw.

They have increased the change rate on the mining as to make it harder to hit 700 each time and they have nerfed the DOFF missions that pay out dilithium as to fail more often than they used too.

Couple in the massive cost of Upgrading, and the increased cost of ships, reputation missions, fleet projects, etc and you begin to see the scam.

If you want to get anywhere you have to invest Real World Money into Zen then hit the ezchange to buy processed Dilithium. Then use that Dilithium for whatever you need, but realize that all the costs have gone up thus that dilithium doesn't go as far as it used too. Now understand that the prices on the exchange are subject to change at the whim of Cryptic and you begin to see the lie of the entire system.

The game is now more or less directly focused on getting you to burn thru your raw dilithium, make it harder to get, burn through your processed dilithium, which is even harder to get, all for the purpose of making you spend real world money on zen and it is only going to get worse. At some point many players are just going to say enough and move onto other games. Which means higher costs for the those who stay behind has crytpic trys to comp for the lost revenue.

Either way, we have crossed the Rubicon and there is no going back. STO's days are numbered and I find that very sad.

Bidding for my stuff starts at 10 quintillion gold pressed latinum. No less for an opening bid.

Here is the sad part OP. You spent probably 30 good minutes of your life writeing a post that every player, playing sto already knows. I quit about 1 month ago. I pop in and out from time to time to read the forums and thats it. Oh and have you noticed that only about 1 out of every 50 forum posts say anthing you might consider a positive thing. STO is dead. Jesus himself couldn't resurrect this game. The Greed of Crptic/Pwe killed this game in the blink of a eye. Done, stick a fork in it and call it a day.

P.S. No you can't have my stuff. I deleted it. Why? because giving you all my stuff would only fed your addiction. Its time for everyone who plays sto to get a good dose of rehab. Besides, there are way, way ,way better games you can be playing. Even F2P ones. Nuff said.
  • stardestroyer001stardestroyer001 Member Posts: 2,615 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    immudzen wrote: »
    You could do the dyson ground combat with the voth and make all the dilithium you can refine in a day in about 30 minutes.

I thought voth BZ was nerfed so you can't cap in 30 minutes anymore?
    stardestroyer001, Admiral, Explorers Fury PvE/PvP Fleet | Retired PvP Player
    Missing the good ol' days of PvP: Legacy of Romulus to Season 9
    My List of Useful Links, Recently Updated November 25 2017!
  • starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    hyefather wrote: »
    Here is the sad part OP. You spent probably 30 good minutes of your life writeing a post that every player, playing sto already knows. I quit about 1 month ago. I pop in and out from time to time to read the forums and thats it. Oh and have you noticed that only about 1 out of every 50 forum posts say anthing you might consider a positive thing. STO is dead. Jesus himself couldn't resurrect this game. The Greed of Crptic/Pwe killed this game in the blink of a eye. Done, stick a fork in it and call it a day.

P.S. No you can't have my stuff. I deleted it. Why? because giving you all my stuff would only fed your addiction. Its time for everyone who plays sto to get a good dose of rehab. Besides, there are way, way ,way better games you can be playing. Even F2P ones. Nuff said.

You haven't took the final step in recovering from STO. There is always a chance that STO will get its claws into you again and drag you back. Severing every single connection to STO like reading the forums is the only way to be free.
  • iconiansiconians Member Posts: 6,987 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    starkaos wrote: »
    Severing every single connection to STO like reading the forums is the only way to be free.

But then how will people know that they're wrong and bad for playing a game that you hate? You obviously don't think these things through. :rolleyes:
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • welcome2earfwelcome2earf Member Posts: 1,746 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    I'm always a bit surprised when people post comments in favour of the epic grind that has been introduced into this game.

I don't knows what all the fussin' be about, but bawsman treats us REAL good, son!!!!111
    T93uSC8.jpg
  • starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    iconians wrote: »
    But then how will people know that they're wrong and bad for playing a game that you hate? You obviously don't think these things through. :rolleyes:

Being free from something means that it has no control over you. Hatred towards something means that it is still controlling you. So it is a matter of do they want to be free of the burden of STO or do they want to be still under the burden of STO. The apathetic approach is always best in dealing with these types of burdens.
  • iconiansiconians Member Posts: 6,987 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    starkaos wrote: »
    Being free from something means that it has no control over you. Hatred towards something means that it is still controlling you. So it is a matter of do they want to be free of the burden of STO or do they want to be still under the burden of STO. The apathetic approach is always best in dealing with these types of burdens.

But there are people out there who are liking what I don't like!
    ExtxpTp.jpg